Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

So, trying and failing to replicate a winning formula means it's not your fault, it's the fault of the people who recommended the winning formula in the first place?

What makes it an automatic winning formula in the first place?

Tastes tastes tastes.

There was talk earlier about whether this would be downloadable or not. I don't any kids that download games, and is who Sonic appeals to the most currently.

Then again, the kiddies love the Blue Bomber as well...

I'd like Jun Senoue, Richard Jaques, Howard Drossin and effing Dreams Come True to work on this game. I want to hear the Sonic 1/2 theme song in glorious HD.

Dreams Come True would be pretty coll. Jun however will need to swear an oath to be tame before give him the thumbs up. :lol:

Edited by Tentomon

Really, I don't give a shit what Sonic Team does at this point so long as I have fun.

Has it been confirmed that Sonic Team are making this game?

You know what I want this to basically be? An HD Sonic Advance 1.

Well obviously I don't want a remake, but yes I'd fangasm if the graphics were like the Advance series but HD.

Advance's animations were awesome enough alone!

You used 2D in 1991 because you didn't have the technology to use 3D. Now that science has marched on and 3D games can be made, making a 2D game for sixth generation (seventh? I forget which one we're on now) consoles smells like clueless straw-clutching and pandering.

You're right that old games didn't use 3D because it wasn't there to use. But there are some things you can do in 2D better than you can do in 3D. Do you think Tetris could benefit from a 3D world? And would it even be Tetris at that point?

Saying 2D games are old is poor way to think about it. That's like saying you can't shoot in black and white because now we have color in pictures and movies, black and white is total shit. It's the content of the thing that makes it good in the end.

I could see a 2D game being lame in 1997, when 3D was new and everyone had to try it out. It's 2009 and we can go back to 2D without worrying about whether it's giving up on the third dimension. 3D platformers have already been realized.

On the subject of music, Senoue/Crush 40 and Ohtani are all I need for the bgms. Sonic 3 and Unleashed's soundtracks are consistently my favorites, so having those two on board and actually working together would be an absolute godsend for me. If this game is going to have cutscenes and whatnot however, then get Kō Ōtani and/or Yoko Kanno. I'm ashamed to admit this, but the former's work on Zoids Zero was awesome. Similar works could add a new flair to Sonic music.

Has it been confirmed that Sonic Team are making this game?

I don't think so, but they are easily the most likely choice when it comes to Sonic platformers (especially on consoles). The only other ones that have made one was the partial development of Unleashed Wii that Dimps had, and I don't think they would make people feel more comfortable after what they did with that game.

Saying 2D games are old is poor way to think about it. That's like saying you can't shoot in black and white because now we have color in pictures and movies, black and white is total shit. It's the content of the thing that makes it good in the end.

Granted, the content is the thing, but a director needlessly handicapping herself in the next big-budget film by sticking to black and white because a bunch of crotchety old people think Casablanca is the best film ever and so in order for a new film to be good it should be in monochrome too?

I think not.

[/analogy]

An HD Sonic Advance 1
Don't ya think the advert is a bit too epic for a remake? No remakes, please. Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you don't want a remake, you don't have to play it. It's not like the rest of the series lifetime is going to be 2D remakes or anything like that.

There's still going to be 3D games coming out in the future, I promise you that.

Granted, the content is the thing, but a director needlessly handicapping
Wow, you really don't get it, do you?

A director might choose to use black and white because the effect it gives is different than that of color. It's not just about appealing to people who are used to it, it's because the style, in itself, has value.

Granted, the content is the thing, but a director needlessly handicapping herself in the next big-budget film by sticking to black and white because a bunch of crotchety old people think Casablanca is the best film ever and so in order for a new film to be good it should be in monochrome too?

No, that purist outlook is stupid too. But Sonic Team certainly doesn't think 2D is the only way, because this is the first time they've done something like this outside the handhelds. It's also a 2D game in HD and the look could be totally updated. If it were about wanking to 16-bit pixels there'd be a fuss about that too. Right now it's a 2D homage with modern techniques applied. We're cautionary about Sonic getting stuck in the past, but I don't think it's bad to go back and visit that era. It was an especially good time for Sonic. Sega's trying something new again, but this time it's not really new. It really shouldn't have to be defended like a Werehog.

Edited by Ezra the Badnik

Sonic Adventure 1 wasn't 2D, and all races and creeds loved that.

It's just that a 2D Sonic game described as "a return to Sonic's roots" sounds awfully like SEGA's mentality for this game is that they've decided to become a scared kid who's tried to go out and play on his own in the 3D world, but is now deciding to wuss out, throw in the towel, and go back home to Mummy and Daddy Retro on Two Dimension Street because the scary 3D gamer kids keep calling him names.

:/

Wow are you really convinced that there will be no new 3D games after this?

Heard about this today on the radio at work (I work at GAME) and I'm excited for it, I was hoping for another sonic game to come out soon!

Wow, you really don't get it, do you?

A director might choose to use black and white because the effect it gives is different than that of color. It's not just about appealing to people who are used to it, it's because the style, in itself, has value.

No I do not.

Do you see a whole lot of multi-million-dollor black-and-white box office smashes in the cinema these days?

People enjoy Tetris because of it's novelty old-skool value (viewed through the distorted lenses of childish nostalgia) and because the gameplay was fun and mentally engaging. I would simply not believe anyone who claimed they liked it because the blocks looked OMG AMAZING.

So my point is, I guess, that it IS just about appealing to people who are used to it. As this Needlemouse is just appealing to people who are used to 2D Sonic. The interview freakin' said so.

EDIT:

Wow are you really convinced that there will be no new 3D games after this?

I cleverly said "SEGA's mentality for THIS game is [blah blah blah steps backwards 2D sux blah blah]". Sure they'll be new 3D games in future. I just wish Needlemouse could be one of them. :/

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen

I don't think so,

Then untill it is (or anything about this game for that matter), whats the problem?

If you don't want a remake, you don't have to play it. It's not like the rest of the series lifetime is going to be 2D remakes or anything like that.

There's still going to be 3D games coming out in the future, I promise you that.

Thank you^^. I just think that if Sega are making a remake, they could just tell us it's gonna be a remake. But the teaser is too epic. It'll be unfair if the game turns out to be a remake.

Sonic Adventure 1 wasn't 2D, and all races and creeds loved that.

Yeah, keyword being "loved". That game's aged pretty badly. That was probably the biggest complaint with the DX Remake/Port.

As for this announcement, its nice to see that Sega's finally trying to get back into the old territory again where Sonic didn't have that many flaws. Now all I hope for is less sidekicks, no homing attack and a spindash and I'm all sold.

Edited by Frog-Tan

Well obviously I don't want a remake, but yes I'd fangasm if the graphics were like the Advance series but HD.

Advance's animations were awesome enough alone!

Actually I just meant the content, not the graphics or a complete remake of Advance. I meant I want this HD 2D brand new Sonic title to have Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy playable and Dr. Robotnik as the villian with a bunch of great stages, special stages in a variety of classic styles, some big final boss as has always been the tradition since the start, and Super Sonic playable in all the stages after collecting the Chaos Emeralds would be quite nice. All this in HD 2D would be quite lovely.

Oh, and Jun Senoue/Crush 40, Bentley Jones, Richard Jacques and TJ Davis all chipping in to the soundtrack please. The option for Dreams Come True and Masato Nakamura is an option but I doubt them. But a big collaboration of all these would be one sizzling Sonic soundtrack. =D

Edited by Rio

Do you see a whole lot of multi-million-dollor black-and-white box office smashes in the cinema these days?

Sin City?

Better graphics in Tetris would make it distracting.

I think it's funny how you're only complaining about this now considering that Unleashed's 3D sections were 3D in much the same way Outrun was 3D.

Wouldn't it be just fine if only Sonic (and Tails) was the only playable character along with Eggman being the main villain?

Personally I love the games 2.5 D style (just like the concept art suggests).

All I don't want is:

1. Speed boost

2. No new characters (use the other ones they already got if they have to put another character in)

3. Linear levels.

Also concerning the concept art on the site I've looked at it for a few minutes and I though it was some kind of count down. The first 2 structures being 11 the third structure being a 0, the middle structure a dash (-) and the last 2 structure meaning 2010. It made sense to me...

Also concerning the concept art on the site I've looked at it for a few minutes and I though it was some kind of count down. The first 2 structures being 11 the third structure being a 0, the middle structure a dash (-) and the last 2 structure meaning 2010. It made sense to me...

Wow thats really abstract XD