Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Sin City?

O snap. Fair enough, lets just forget about that ill-thought-out analogy. :blush:

But I maintain that touting "A return to 2D! That makes it awesum! They have listened to usss!" is a grave, grave miscalculation, both on SEGA's part and on the fan's part. 3D adds a dimension, it doesn't take something away from the Sonic series. Just because that third dimension hasn't been used so well since Adventure 1 / Adventure 2 / Heroes (wherever you personally want to draw the line) doesn't mean it can't be used well, or that a viable response is to throw the whole thing out of the window.

Also, The Cycle; fans plural are idiots and no-one should listen to them; etc.

No. Sega listening to the fans, and if it is shit, then the fault is down to the fans. I'll be looking forward to whatever outcome.

Sonic Genesis

It sounds like a cool idea, but its way too early to tell if this is going to be good, and it also depends on which fan/fans SEGA are listening to.

I'm hoping this will be like a return to the Genesis games, please let it be that! The 3D games were ok, but the 2D were amazing, I finally have a real reason to be excited.

In regards to expectations, the quality of the game is irrelevant. Fans will be will be whining about this for the next god knows how many years on the premise that it didn't quite suck up to their every whim enough because the game isn't a HD clone. Or, even if it were a HD clone, the fans would go nuts because it didn't offer anything new. If it finds a middle ground, the fans will complain because it didn't achieve either extreme. If there's new characters, the fans will complain. If there's the "wrong" characters, the fans will complain. If there's any characters at all, the fans will complain. If Sonic goes too fast, the fans will complain, if the game goes too slow the fans will complain. If the speed is moderate, the fans will complain because it doesn't fit into either extreme quite as much as they'd like. If it's a "hold right" fest the fans will complain. If there's multiple paths the fans will complain that the level levels designs are too convoluted. The list goes on, and on, and on.

Finally, the game is in HD. This pretty much excludes the Wii and leaves the PS3 and/or 360. Well, we all know by now how that works in regards to Sonic games, don't we? I don't like to be prejudgemental, but I can't help but feel that it's almost unconditional and nigh guaranteed; the critics are going to complain, and not in moderation. That is, if the recent track record is anything to go by. How could Sonic 2006 possibly be rated better than Unleashed? I don't like to take an objective stance, but a game which is entirely broke from every angle compared to a game which had at very most an objectionable concept but at least worked, and had around half of the game do almost exactly what it was supposed to? It's beyond me.

It makes me cringe, I don't particularly want to defend the franchise -quite- like this, because I know it's all too easy to find yourself with some kind of stigma attached for it. It's just that it kinda bothers me that people are making bizarre observations from things that aren't there to observe. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not going to defend the franchise unconditionally, and indeed I haven't. The "recent" games really do vary in quality, and I do think some genuinely don't quite achieve what I'd call a good standard. Under what criteria do I judge a game's quality, then? You may wonder (or not). Well, it's not about what it does, but about how well it does what it does.

To me, it doesn't matter which crowd the game tries to please. I don't care if it's an exhilarating rollercoaster ride, or if it consists of a relatively slower, platform-oriented nature. I don't care if it's 2D or 3D or HD or LD. I don't care if it offers something new, or tries to appease the classic fanboys, or tries to mix both. I do care however, if the game does what it does well. I mean, of course I have preferences, but just because the game doesn't suck up to me entirely doesn't mean I can't appreciate the game if it at least offers only some of the features that I can appreciate - if they're implemented well.

Either way, this should be interesting. A 2D HD Sonic game. Bit of a surprise, really. I didn't quite expect Sega to take this approach, although I suppose it would have had to happen sooner or later, all things considered. From what I can judge (if that concept screenshot is anything to go by), the environments are going to be constructed in 3D, but displayed from a 2D perspective. I imagine Sonic would be 3D too, since it's easier to make 3D models integrate with a 3D environment (and a 2D one, if implemented correctly). I'm actually wondering if a new engine is going to be created for this game, since the teaser said it was going to be built from the "ground up" (a bit of an odd selling point, but oh well). Seems a bit of a waste when you have a very competent Hedgehog Engine sitting there, it might not be perfect for the situation in its current state, but with a bit of modification I think it could be suitable. Either way, I suppose it's nice that Sega are putting that kind of effort in. I just hope it leaves Sega enough time to make an actual game.

Anyhow, it's very early days yet, and we have next to nothing to even begin making assumptions with. Teaser trailers have always well... teased me like that. "We have something, but I'm not telling you what it is! Nyah nyah nynyah nyah!" Bastards. :'3

Edited by Gewwy

Hopefully they will make the 3D games alongside the 2D ones. That way most fans should be happy, assuming they're good, of course.

This is great!!! =D But...what system will it be for? What style will it be made in? All sorts of questions arise from this...

I was more or less expected Unleashed 2 to be announced or something (and if done the right way, I would be VERY excited), but this looks even better for right now =D

Whoa! This is really good news. Of course 3D would've been nice but I'm more than psyched about the 2D graphics. Looking forward to more info and actual gameplay footage.

Well, after a few hours, I'll admit that I'm still not too happy about Sega delving into 2D again. The reasons why I don't like it remain.

But I'm starting to feel a little better. Not that much better, but better, nonetheless. Maybe it'll do well, and I hope it does. It seems like this game may be made to remind Classic fans of Sonic back in the early-90s. And then after that, the Sonic series will move forward from there in 3D (and maybe 4D).

But what I do hope for is that Sega ain't completely retconning Sonic, ala Mega Man 9 (or Spyro). THAT will surely tick me off.

Can I just point out that the Tokyo Game Show is at the end of the month, so theres a possibility we will get a reveal there.

Well, I am excited about this game, since it feels like we're gonna be getting something good, but I won't count my chickens before they hatch. I'm also not too excited about this, because this is possibly the first step, in my opinion, to keeping Sonic in 2D platforming. Don't get me wrong, I love the Genesis games, but it was always my philosophy that since Sonic is "The Fastest Thing Alive", he and the company that created him should be able to keep up with all the rest of their competitors and their switches to 3D. I'll be fair, Sonic has had some rough times in it, but I found a few of them to be rather fun, especially the Dreamcast games: Sonic Adventure and SA2B. But I worry, with this 2D game. I feel like if they stop trying to make 3D ones, Sega, and Sonic will have failed me. But that's my opinion, of course. Anyways, I can't wait to see how this game will turn out.

Edited by Aregulardude

Protip: Some people at Sega think Sonic Rush IS like the Genesis games.
Well, Dimps does anyway. I can't say for certain that Sonic Team views them the same way. I mean, in that same interview they even said that they don't see Sonic Unleashed as being exactly like the Genesis games. And if they're going out of their way to bring back the style from the Genesis games, I don't see why those wouldn't be the ones they study as a frame of reference.

So, is there any say on whether this will be a disk release or a downloadable game? I immediately thought that it would be downloadable for XBLA/PSN, but I've never really seen big big hype with teaser trailers and dedicating the day of an important anniversary just for a downloadable game. I'm kinda hoping that this will be on a disk because I like owning a box with my favorite games and it will mean that the game will have more stuff to do in it than an XBLA/PSN game.

It will also give SEGA an excuse to make the preorder bonus a box shaped like a SEGA Genesis/MegaDrive box that the game comes in. :P

EDIT: Also, is this real?

http://www.needlemouse.com/

If so I'm happy, 2D view, gorgous 3D visuals, lovely.

Edited by Solid SOAP

Well, Dimps does anyway. I can't say for certain that Sonic Team views them the same way. I mean, in that same interview they even said that they don't see Sonic Unleashed as being exactly like the Genesis games. And if they're going out of their way to bring back the style from the Genesis games, I don't see why those wouldn't be the ones they study as a frame of reference.

And even if they did, you can't just fault Sonic Team. Reviewers have the same mindset as well.

Well, I came home from Collage after a long first day and I'm greeted with this.

HOLY SHIT.

OK, now I'm someone who can't help but hype new Sonic games. it's just the way I am. I'm also one of the few that has enjoyed every Sonic title to some extent to just about justify the hype I had (yes even Sonic06, I got a massive adrenaline rush in the mach speed zones, sue me) so I don't fear hyping.

I'm hyped.

I've never got so excited by so little information. We've had no footage, no title, not any real info and I'm as hyped as I was when Unleashed was leaked. I can't wait to see more of this, hopefully at TGS we'll get a proper trailer, screens etc. At first I thought it was a remake which disappointed me, but after seeing 'AN ALL NEW 2D ADVENTURE' explode on my screen about 20 times now and after reading the interview, I'm confident it isn't at all. I wonder what the Green Hill looking zone will be called? maybe Sonic will for the first time, re-visit the REAL Green Hill Zone? I'm so curious and so excited :D Bring on the hedgehog!

EDIT: One thing I thought to bring up to the people saying 2010 being too soon. While I somewhat agree, we don't know how long this has been in the works, or when in 2010 it's going to be released. Another thing, I'm no game programmer but aren't 2D games supposed to be much easier to code than 3D games? and if they're really trying to make it play like the classics, then they already know what kind of gameplay and control they're going for?...Wouldn't that help in time?

Edited by ENVY16

Rush and Unleashed are very similiar, and they are the best Sonic games (with SA2).

(OT: there's an update about SEGA all star racing, go there and comment, you guys are all here!)

Hey, could it be another hedgehog instead of Sonic? Probably not? :mellow:

Sonic 2 HD/3D Remix?

Edited by The Scout- Adek

Being me I've learned not to get excited about new Sonic games (Sonic 06 anyone?) like when I was a kid so while its great to see that SEGA are going back to there roots with this new Sonic game I want to wait for gameplay footage or screenshots of the game to show up first. But still it is great news.

It seems like it's interesting, but I'll have to wait for actual gameplay videos of it before I can cast judgement on it.

I'm trying to stay neautral, but so far I have mixed feelings about this game...

"Happy me!

Yay! Sonic's back! I liked Unleashed, it was a great step in the right direction! The trailer looked awesome, too! The corkscrew has been missing for sometime, lol! And look at that blur! I can't tell if it's the boost or the spin dash! Speaking of, I'm loving those sound effects! I'm so excited to hear more! The only bad thing is that the media's going like 'Yay SEGA's killing Sonic again!' Even though they are totally wrong, because I love Sonic still! He's not dead til he's dead to everyone! I can't wait!"

"Woe on me!

Aww... completly 3D? That means my days of crazy camera angles, fast-paced action, and epic dizzy turns and dives is coming to an end... All of that work, from the homing attack, to the Adventure feilds, to the ring boost... wasted. What about characters like Blaze and Shadow? What about a story? Will they throw that out too? And... WHAT? Sonic looks different! No! Not my Sonic, they can't do that! I swear, unless they are using the old design or creating a decent hybrid... They just can't re-design him again! There's nothing really wrong with the version we have now, or the classic version for that matter! Aww... Sonic, just... stop it!"

Alright, fangirl explosion rants aside... ;D

I don't really know what to think. I guess I'll wait for more information.

Edited by BlazingTales