Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/27/project-needlemouse-community-challenge-2-new-concept-art-and-a-very-special-reward/

Community challenge number 2, SEGA wants 100 pieces of fake concept art from the fans and we'll get new Needlemouse info.

ALSO:

Speed is something that is not given; but rather earned through dedication. Speed is not found by simply pushing a boost button, but by building momentum. It is the reward for skill in the face of difficult challenges – this kind of speed is the most exhilarating, not only because it is fast, but because of the pure perfection such speed exemplifies. This is the truth of the original Sonic games – and this is the truth of Project Needlemouse.

Fucking teasing cunts. :(

Edited by Solid SOAP

http://blogs.sega.co...special-reward/

Community challenge number 2, SEGA wants 100 pieces of fake concept art from the fans and we'll get new Needlemouse info.

ALSO:

Fucking teasing cunts. :(

*Reads blog* There's an actual new official concept art in there as well. The rewards are this: 

*Project Needlemouse’s Actual Name

*Concept Art from the first Zone

*A very cool extra bonus…

The bonus is Big the Cat playable... Called it.

*Reads blog* There's an actual new official concept art in there as well. The rewards are this: 

*Project Needlemouse’s Actual Name

*Concept Art from the first Zone

*A very cool extra bonus…

The bonus is Big the Cat playable... Called it.

Joke fails cause Sega already declared Big the Cat to not be playable in this game.

Well at least this isn't another social app signup-a-ton, unless you're an artist with issues with online art hosts.

I'm just hoping this doesn't turn out to be only a "remake" of the original trilogy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Now this, is a good contest. No fiddling around with websites I don't give two shits about so I can answer easy trivia questions (which I might as well just be copying everyone else's answers anyway). This actually encourages people to get creative and contribute something of value, something that's actually worth looking at.

...I'm getting a bad feeling about the badniks, tho'. One remake might be an anomaly, two remakes is a trend. I'm really hoping the game has some actual new robots...

Speed is something that is not given; but rather earned through dedication. Speed is not found by simply pushing a boost button, but by building momentum. It is the reward for skill in the face of difficult challenges – this kind of speed is the most exhilarating, not only because it is fast, but because of the pure perfection such speed exemplifies. This is the truth of the original Sonic games – and this is the truth of Project Needlemouse.

I don't give a shit about the look of the game, this comment alone secures my faith in the game.

• Thumbs Up 3

I sent a pic of Metal Knuckles.

I don't care if he's not technically a badnik, he's METAL KNUCKLES.

They should use him more :|

• Thumbs Up 1

Yay, Motobug! Your feeble uselessness will go a long way to balancing out how cheap Shellcracker is.

Anyway, I'm surprised that we've got another one of these contests so soon. Pleasantly so, though, especially with more on the line this time. Too bad I'm an awful artist...

Edited by Octarine

What's with the Unleashed bashing?* D: I actaully liked that game...

Although I do agree that the boost defiently shouldn't be in this game, I don't really think it was a bad feature. But having momentum based gameplay again will be fun.

*Or perhaps I'm reading too far into that comment...

But anywho, can't wait to finally see some level concept art.

Ah, music to my ears.

I'm a terrible artist though, so you guys get to work and if you do multiple arts, send me one so it will count!

• Thumbs Up 1

What's with the Unleashed bashing?* D: I actaully liked that game...

Although I do agree that the boost defiently shouldn't be in this game, I don't really think it was a bad feature. But having momentum based gameplay again will be fun.

*Or perhaps I'm reading too far into that comment...

But anywho, can't wait to finally see some level concept art.

They did it right with unleashed, I agree. when sonic is going that quick with that music and graphics it is an amazing experience. But old school physics was awesome too, they're both good and boost sonic should still get some attention after this game. But it is old school sonic's turn atm :P

I'm pretty sure the boost would make any game that gives you much of a free range to be really jerky to play. That one Shamar DLC stage gave us a little preview of it.

As of now, we have 3 submissions (4, if you count my currently-awaiting-moderation entry).

We've got a little under a week to get this all completed, so I say we should give it our all - grab your pencils, crayons, and styli, members of the Sonic Stadium Message Board! 100 concept art fakes is quite a grand undertaking indeed. We're going to need gallant efforts from the lot of you, and we're pressed for time, you hear? Do you want shiny new Needlemouse infos? Of course you do, so get crackin'. Now, be creative - think outside the box! (I'm talking to you ASCII art junkies and macaroni sculptors.)

We probably wouldn't be getting this second contest if the hype for the last one weren't so tremendously large - so we have ourselves to thank for that. But don't get cocky, now! Now go, soldiers artists, and show SEGA how dangerously obsessive we really are! (As if they don't already know.)

wecandoit.jpg

So epic.

Motobug doesn't look as amazing as Shellcracker/Crabmeat, but it's alright.

Though simply seeing him in the concept art along with Shellcracker gives me the feeling it's just going to be Sonic 1 with just a new look, and that's not something I would consider to be something mindblowing if that's what this might be. I hope we actually see some NEW robots, I don't care if they looked like the ones in Sonic 06 or whatever, just something new that doesn't make me think this game will look like a carbon copy of the older games and will actually carry what the classics did to a whole new level.

Not much of a point in playing a game when you've already had the same thing almost 2 decades ago.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Hay you guys, nobody else better do Coconuts, Grounder and Clucker since I claim them.

lol j/k

I am done with three of those concept arts, now the only thing I have to do is scan and color them, which I will do tomorrow. :P

Sounds so glorious. I'd love if Needlemouse were like the originals and your speed was based on momentum you've built by solely moving. You better start using your head, Sega.

I'd try to draw something, but I don't have the materials, and I suck anyway. :mellow:

Man, I love to draw (I'd have to, I'm in college for it LAWL LAWLAWLWALWLA) so FUCK YEAH I'll draw some shit for this on the weekend. This is a cool idea! I wonder what badnik I want to do though! I'll probably do an Egg Robo or the Penguin from the Ice Cap Zone =D

Wow its been TOO long since I've last been here but since I'm an artist myself I'm thinking about drawing concept art for Roller...the original Metal Sonic(to me anyways lol). I bet the extra bonus is a music track

EDIT: (offtopic)Why do I only have 1 post? I could have swore the last time I checked I had well over 1000...my avatars gone too...

Edited by streetballa

We're not doing too bad; 8 hours into the contest and already a little over 25 submissions IN PUBLIC. More may have even been PM'd or sent through email to them... Wow at this rate we'll have it all by tomorrow.

I'm entering too, but who to DRAW... I love so many Badniks...

These three pieces of art ARE NOT MINE but some that people submitted but were so awesome and made me laugh as well as be awed I had to post them

Skorp2.png

Motobugs_by_gsilverfish.png

ftneci.jpg

The barrel from Sonic 3. XDDDDDDD

Edited by Dusk the Fragile Keeper

Loving the classic Badnik designs creeping in, I would like to see the enemies evolve throughout the game from these simple Badniks into bad-ass mechas though, the clsoer you get to Eggman's final stronghold.

Since so many people dislike Unleashed's Boost button, mainly because Sonic "runs through enemies with his face" (clearly it's not his face that does it, notice he is surrounded by a blue aura? It's sheer force that drives him through the enemies, similar to the Flash Shield technique I always thought but anyway...) how about marrying the Boost concept with Adventure's "instant-Spindash" so that, when you build up Boost energy, Sonic curls into a ball and barrel-rolls along instead? Might be a good compromise.

I'm really hoping for a world-class final boss mech for this game, much as I enjoyed the final battles against Gods and giant monsters I think it's time we went one-on-one with an Emerald-empowered Eggman mech as Super Sonic again (something the Rush series did right, I think).

Edited by SKSpawn
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't give a shit about the look of the game, this comment alone secures my faith in the game.

It does indeed bode very well that they don't see a need for a boost feature.

It does indeed bode very well that they don't see a need for a boost feature.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's a user comment. It confirms absolutely nothing, to be frank. For all we know, there might might be a boost, or there might not be a boost, but there may be something even worse.

Edit: Well, I swear it is, I might be wrong though, I might have misinterpreted things. If I have, my bad.

Edited by The Sniper

A bit of an interesting discovery. You see that Motobug artwork and all? Well save it, and go to it's info.

That Motobug was drawn by SEGA on 5/21/2009

EVEN MORE INTERESTING: SEGA also left a COMMENT on their pic, and it says this if you look at the pics info:

The fact that you're actually looking in the comments section of this image speaks volumes - and that's a good thing. So here's an extra crumb for you to follow: February is going to be a very good month.

SEGA, you sly dogs you~

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's a user comment. It confirms absolutely nothing, to be frank. For all we know, there might might be a boost, or there might not be a boost, but there may be something even worse.

Edit: Well, I swear it is, I might be wrong though, I might have misinterpreted things. If I have, my bad.

No it wasn't, here's the exact quote in the blog:

Everyone has the rest of the week and the weekend to create and share your pieces. We’ll also post the best of the submissions here on the blogs for you all to view / laugh at / be totally amazed by later.

In closing, some parting thoughts that expand on some comments we made in the last blog:

Good luck, everyone!

Edited by Dusk the Fragile Keeper