Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

http://needlemouse.com isn't legit SEGA

SEGA america has a blog entry up, and they didn't mention the site at all, just thought I would get this info out in the open in case it hasn't already been.

It's such a widely known codename within the community that there's a good chance that the Needlemouse teaser site is for some kind of fan project. There's more than one that I know of that uses the name.

And according to the whois info, it's hosted on Dreamhost. SoA has their own server, sites hosted on it show up as being registered to "SEGA of America", so it's probably not their's, and if it were SoE or SoJ's, it would show up as .uk or .jp respectively.

It was also registered and put online several days before the announcement, which clashes with Sega's usual MO, the site usually comes at least a week after the announcement.

Good thing to, because that stuff is kind of ugly if you ask me. Weak, desaturated colors, and it looks like they were made by scribbling around in Zbrush.

It's such a widely known codename within the community that there's a good chance that the Needlemouse teaser site is for some kind of fan project. There's more than one that I know of that uses the name.

And according to the whois info, it's hosted on Dreamhost. SoA has their own server, sites hosted on it show up as being registered to "SEGA of America", so it's probably not their's, and if it were SoE or SoJ's, it would show up as .uk or .jp respectively.

It was also registered and put online several days before the announcement, which clashes with Sega's usual MO, the site usually comes at least a week after the announcement.

Good thing to, because that stuff is kind of ugly if you ask me. Weak, desaturated colors, and it looks like they were made by scribbling around in Zbrush.

Yeah, I did a whois on it lastnight XD, not even SEGA's nameservers, it's totally not a legit SEGA site. Why would SEGA buy a host when they already have their own hosting? Lol

Also I agree with those 'concept arts' looking ugly.

Keep in mind the trailer said 'In an all new adventure built from the ground up!' If they're to stay true to their words of this teaser, hopefully we won't be seeing and remakes of Sonic 1 as some people are speculating or any re-uses of previous models such as the Unleashed one. If it's built from the ground up, it should all be new stuff. ;D

I hope it's released for Xbox Live Arcade and PSN, SEGA have seemed to have been getting a huge amount of support from the XBLA community especially just lately. 1200 points would be an ideal price, but I'd be prepared to pay more. XD After reading what the interviewee was saying, it would be nice if this game just involved Sonic, Robotnik, Tails and Knuckles like he said was 'the perfect cast for a decent Sonic title, all other characters are just extra depth.'

Really, really looking forward to this. It just would be nice to see some sort of gameplay footage before Christmas though. ;D

Edited by bolt7

Ok. We are as giddy as school girls or as cynical as Huey Freeman. Sega just can't win.

That's what I said early only in nutshell form.

I wonder if it'll be out before the next SoS, or maybe even playable? It seems like the right kind of dev time.

Either way, next year's SoS will rock because of this.

Although it would rock anyway.

Coolio. Nothing to be really excited about other than the announcement really, since there isn't anything to show. But I'll admit, I'm excited and very curious. Not to the point of hype, but I'm eagerly awaiting some footage, <3. I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon of "hey, i dun no, it mite suk," I'm just going to smile at this with a neutral feeling and see what happens, 8D.

Bark would be BA btw.

-Blur

*quickly reads thtough*

...Wow. I'm astonished at the amount of speculation that can be made over just a day and a 30-second trailer that copied the original Sonic title art. I would like it to be on the DS but that's a no-show. I'm not too fond of the concept art either. I'm excited, anyway, especially concerning the music and hoping it will in somehow feel any familiar to Sonic CD.

Edited by Vasco

So where are people getting the assumption that having CG/3D graphics means that it'll be 2D sprites on a 3D background? I've seen this reference pop up a couple times, and I don't get that at all. If we're having 3D backgrounds, isn't it safe to assume that we have 3D models to represent the characters, as well? Not sprites? Just because it may be a "back to the classics" thing, doesn't mean they'll be using sprites. They can do a full-fledged sidescroller using 3-Dimensional graphics, and frankly, I think that's how its going to be.

*headdesk* DAMMIT!

I'm not always a negative person, and that I'm quite optimistic about Sonic almost all the time. But this announcement makes me feel REALLY down. I really don't like how Sega decided to just toss away the effort and errors of all the previous 3D Sonic games to make a quick buck. This announcement, thus far, feels a LOT like a sellout game instead of a "bring-Sonic-back-to-roots" game. I want Sonic to grow, and making a 2D side-scroller feels like the series is going in reverse instead of evolving. :(

Despite saying 2010, I hope there will be a Sonic game coming out in 2011, and I hope THAT is the 20th Anniversary game, not this one. Sorry, but I feel very concerned right now. :(

Oh, well, we'll see what happens in the future...

So you rather have another crappy 3D game than a more than likely good 2D game? Sure, Sonic Team COULD make a good 3D game ... but, given their track record, is it likely?

They can spend so much more time polishing the fun and playability of a 2D game.

So we've got a few buggy messes and Sonic Unleashed under our belts - how exactly is this a sellout? Fans have been begging for just this for as long as I've been on these forums. SEGA is listening to their fans and rightly so, to give their ideas a try and see how far it gets them.

Not all games are designed for 3D. For instance: Mega Man X7 was 3D in sections but it just didn't fit, so Mega Man X8 was purely sidescroller.

Only thing Sonic is doing in the 3D realm is de-evolving. In my opinion, anyone who thinks Sonic should have another 3D adventure just wants Sonic to have a death sentence. It's not getting him anywhere as far as evolving into something better.

But the big difference is that Sonic isn't likely to give up on 3D. He's been doing 2D games during his time in 3D, so what would change that now?

Even so, they could use this time to really develop a good 3D game. And hopefully not add content that conflicts with Sonic's style of play and isn't optional. I like the werehog for what it was in Unleashed, but that doesn't excuse that the game has opposing styles that could've been better off with one good style, or better yet two styles that COMPLEMENT each other.

Yes, because being innovative makes it stand out more and keeps it fresh. That is of course if it's done right.

I wouldn't call ShTH, Sonic 06, and Unleashed's werehog "innovative" in that regard.

The only difference is rather than do something that ADDS to his current style, he has something that CONFLICTS with it instead. As was the case with the Werehog in Unleashed.

With Sonic's speed, agility, combat potential, and physics, there's many ways that he can expand on that alone.

Yes, but Sonic isn't anywhere near the same as Street Fighter. Sonic resides in a genre that over time needs new approaches to keep the life going, and can't get away with the stuff that fighting games like Street Fighter can. So that's a really bad comparison.

...AND Sonic can work in 3D, end of story. :P

Sure, in theory, Sonic can work in 3D, as the Adventure games showcased ... but do you honestly think Sonic Team is currently capable of that? After all the times they've failed, do you seriously have the trust for them to try another 3D adventure AGAIN?

It will all go tits up when they introduce Graham the Zebra (someone please draw this). Until then, I'm still in shock.

Its amazing how moist I get over a trailer that does NOTHING other than say "2D" and plays MegaDrive Sonic sound effects. GOD IM EXCITED over nothing!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So you rather have another crappy 3D game than a more than likely good 2D game? Sure, Sonic Team COULD make a good 3D game ... but, given their track record, is it likely?

A 2D Sonic game isn't instantly good just because it's in 2D. And yes, it is likely they can make one provided they stop the shit that's messing them up in the first place.

They can spend so much more time polishing the fun and playability of a 2D game.

And they can't do that with a 3D game if they get the chance? Someone's narrow... :rolleyes:

Sure, in theory, Sonic can work in 3D, as the Adventure games showcased ... but do you honestly think Sonic Team is currently capable of that?

There's no "theory" to it.

By that logic of yours, seeing as how they somehow managed to fuck up the Sonic Genesis port on GBA, I guess we can't trust them making a 2D game either.

If only it were the dimensions that were the problem. :rolleyes:

After all the times they've failed, do you seriously have the trust for them to try another 3D adventure AGAIN?

If Unleashed has anything to say, then yes I trust them. But the main problem isn't the dimensions if you hadn't noticed, it's the conflicting content, aka the Werehog (despite how fun I thought it was)...and I guess the narrow focus on the speed instead of physics.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Wow. After just reading this topic, I've discovered something-

All of the footage is just 25 seconds of tease and it already has more hype than Unleashed. Though, I had sworn off Sonic for a while so I can try other games once in a while, (which has been working) I'm highly likely breaking it. (now what page was that cycle again...) However, I might wait for some reviews first before commitment. (However, I've learned not to trust a Nintendo Power review of Sonic ever since they gave ShTH an 8 out of 10.) However, I am going to keep an eye out fod details. (Just waiting for something to leak, just like last time...)

This better come out for the Wii. I'm sure it will be a decent enough game, but if it's only on the 360 or PS3, I won't even be able to play it. I'm hoping it's on all three consoles.

Your statement is very subjective anyway. Given the fact that he may have (and others will have) enjoyed some of the 3D Sonic games. That and given the fact that there was no gameplay shown (really all that trailer had was Speed is back and a silohuteed Sonic logo) theres no telling were this can go. Its somewhat hypocritical to no nothing of a 3D Sonic game but say that it'll suck anyway and then no the same amount about a 'new 2d game' and say that it'll be good. Based on well nothing. Not hating on this at all, but I'm not up for double standards sorry.

Only thing Sonic is doing in the 3D realm is de-evolving. In my opinion, anyone who thinks Sonic should have another 3D adventure just wants Sonic to have a death sentence. It's not getting him anywhere as far as evolving into something better.

See above post. And Sonic can't be dead because he isn't alive to begin with. That and death would imply nothingness. I still see Sonic games being made that sell more than a lot of better quality titles out there.

*to those that don't like the return of 2d* Get over yourselves. You have half a dozen crappy emerald hunting, Big fishing, and Werehog-games you can play until you're blue in the face. Sega has had TEN years to make a great 3d Sonic game and have failed at every occasion. Its time to go back to what works.

Wow, what a depressing post for us 3D fans. :( I hate how so many people talk about the 3D games like they're ALL as bad as Sonic 2006. Sonic Unleashed was a great quality game... and whether or not you like Werehog was most likely biased by the bashing it got (if it would have been Knuckles with that set of moves minus the stretchy arms, everyone would have fucking LOVED it). Maybe I'm wrong, but either way, things like that are a matter of OPINION, and there ARE people who thoroughly enjoyed the 3D games.

Having said that...

This game announcement ruined my day. I'm not trying to sound cynical, I'm just being honest. I love 3D Sonic for the stories... the characters... the personalites... and yes, the gameplay (for the most part). To me, going back to 2D makes it look like they've given up trying to build upon Sonic. What happened to the last decade of 3D games? Is that all out the window now? Maybe Sonic 2006 sorta failed. But think of all their efforts to give the fans what they wanted, from Sonic Adventure to Sonic Unleashed. Maybe if it weren't for the so called FANS, they wouldn't have to resort to knocking Sonic down and rebuilding him again. And hell - even now, as they finally give in and do what EVERYBODY HAS WANTED FOR THE LAST FUCKING DECADE, people are BITCHING AND MOANING more than ever!! What the fuck!?

Sorry if I went overboard. No - wait, I'm not. I will be later when the shock of this has calmed down a bit, but right now, I'm feeling pretty damn bitter.

I really hope Sonic has the modern design. I hope this game has an actual story like the Rushes did. But I can't believe in it right now, for some reason.

I sincerely hope this isn't the end for 3D Sonic... but everything ends sometime, and no matter what you try to convince yourselves of, this really could be it. Please, somebody prove that wrong. Please, please.

Disclaimer: I was never part of the '2d will fix Sonic' bandwagon; I liked the 2d games, but I've always been for 3d when it comes to Sonic. Just so you know I'm not being contradictory. And, of course... ^THATZ MAH OPINION^

Edited by DC111
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I mean this in a light-hearted way, but after this announcement I can really see what SEGA mean when they say 'They can't please all Sonic fans in one game.' They really can't. XD I don't think you should be so bummed out DC111, they're defiantly going to be making 3D stuff still. Remember that interview a while back with Kotaku on the current state of Sonic? This is something they're doing for all the fans out there that love 2D and I'm sure they're still considering titles for wider audiences as they usually do as well.

Just enjoy it for what it is, you'll get your personal preference of game soon enough. My favourite is 2D, so I'm ecstatic about this. It's a change after all the big 3D stuff we've been getting over the years. XD

Maybe if it weren't for the so called FANS, they wouldn't have to resort to knocking Sonic down and rebuilding him again. And hell - even now, as they finally give in and do what EVERYBODY HAS WANTED FOR THE LAST FUCKING DECADE, people are BITCHING AND MOANING more than ever!! What the fuck!?

And no offence mate, but I mostly see you bitching and moaning here. I'm perfectly happy with whatever they wish to do, whether it be evolve the series ala Unleashed or this.

Edited by bolt7