Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

...And, if they truly are re-/retro-designing characters, I'd really like to see them take Eggman's forehead goggle-things off. They don't really serve a purpose and the guy just looks better when he's showing off that chrome dome of his. Be bald and proud, Ivo.

I don't mind them particularly, but they'd make a lot more sense if he ever actually used them. I think there's, what, one instance ever (some time in SA2 on Prison Island) where he actually slips them down. If he's going to keep them, he needs to put them on over his glasses when he's about to layeth the smack down.

Should be used in conjunction with "GET A LOAD OF THIS!"

Also:

800px-06_OBJECTION%21.jpg

I love you, classy '06 Robotnik. :)

They reshaped the entire series with Sonic Adventure by not letting any of the established settings or canon tie them down,
Except, y'know, referencing Sonic 2 (Tails' daydream) and Sonic CD (Amy's daydream) and basing its story on something from the Japanese Sonic 3 manual.

There was never any reset.

• Thumbs Up 2

The only characters that weren't on Challenge 1's list that I can remember are Tails. Knuckles, Rouge, Espio, , Metal Sonic, Cream.and Eggman.

Eggman will no doubt be in and hopefully as the final boss too, none of this monster crap, Tails and Knuckles go a long way back so could possibly make a non playable appearance, Metal Sonic could make an appearance as one of the bosses but as for the others I very much doubt they'll appear.

The way we were asked to only send in artwork of enemies from the Mega Drive days strongly suggests characters after that era won't make an appearance at all.

Which is weird considering Amy and the Chaotix are classic characters. Maybe their current design is too clashing with their older ones?

Edited by redmenace

Except, y'know, referencing Sonic 2 (Tails' daydream) and Sonic CD (Amy's daydream) and basing its story on something from the Japanese Sonic 3 manual.

Tails daydream is brilliant. He just arbitrarily starts stalking Sonic for no reason, with a decidedly manic :D plastered all over his face. WHAT!?

Also, this.

• Thumbs Up 2

I must be one of the few that doesn't want it called Sonic 4.

Sonic 1.25, maybe though. :P

Okay. I'll bite.

Explain to me how Amy's jump in both age and appearance, the completely different Master Emerald shrine, the alterations to the Chaotix, the introduction of G.U.N. and the establishment of their inteference in Robotnik-family-related affairs as far as 50 years back, and the sudden introduction of worldwide human cities with a President in a White House (amongst many other differences) is in-canon with any of the games before 1998 and I will totally believe you on that point.

Winks and nods don't overshadow the fact that their approach to the entire universe was different. Which is what I would call, from a design standpoint, a reset. If you'd rather I say retcon, I'll say retcon. It doesn't make much difference to me.

@Nitro: Before playing the game, Eggman's redesign was my favorite thing about it. If they could just take that design and make it less intense/realistic, I'd be pleased as punch.

Edited by bro-botnik
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Its just a theory but, the reason Tails and Knuckles weren't in the list is maybe they already planned on using them.

I also agreed with the person who said that this game won't feature any character who appeared in any of the 3D games.

So what I tought SEGA might be doing with Tails and knuckles?

Tails:

He might appear out of nowhere in the tornado after Eggman escapes from a battle against Sonic to go back in his high sky base. What happens after Eggman escapes?

Sky Rush Act 1/& 2!! (Descendent of Sky chase from Sonic 2)

Knuckles:

After a cave zone adventuring, Sonic finds hmiself in an unknown area only to discover Knuckles doing some treasure hunting and with with some gestures (like in Sonic & Knuckles after knuckles got the M.E. stolen) points upward and knuckles digs a path were Sonic must keep up with him because if he takes too long (as if... he's SONIC) rocks crumbles only to crush him. Making this...

Earth Core Act 1!!

Now all thats left to think is even tho Amy and Metal Sonic got removed from the list of characters a couple of weeks before.... Will they still appear in the game?

Will we have a race like in Sonic CD with Metal Sonic or a battle like in Sonic 2 (against silver sonic that time) or will he aid Eggman as being a Duo Final boss or he won't appear at all?

Will Amy appear as a cameo? Will we have to rescue or will she help us during a stage at some part or she won't appear at all?

If the game is to be made from ground-up, will it really be only Sonic and Eggman? Not that I mind too much but it would be cool to at least see those 4 characters back as cameo or help us in any way and have a darn goddam good reason to be here and not just "wussup..... can I tag along while doing nothing?"

I'm hoping this game will stick to the fantasy worlds of the old days and GBA/DS/PSP games. I'm open minded to this real world/human stuff but myself I prefer playing through imaginative fantasy worlds with the only exception being levels in Eggman's bases.

I don't mind them particularly, but they'd make a lot more sense if he ever actually used them. I think there's, what, one instance ever (some time in SA2 on Prison Island) where he actually slips them down. If he's going to keep them, he needs to put them on over his glasses when he's about to layeth the smack down.

This. Eggman should utilize those fantastical goggles of his every once in awhile - I would like to see him wearing them while doing some mechanical work, if such a cutscene ever comes to fruition. Of course, badass pre-battle-goggle-sliding-down-intimidation-technique is also awesome in my book.

And on a somewhat related note, Eggman Nega.

Rush_eggman_nega.png

He's wearing ski goggles. Now, just why exactly would a maniacal crazy sadistic dimension-traveling genius from 200+ years in the future ever go skiing‽ That'd just be silly. When could such a situation even come to fruition? It never would. He'd never utilize those goggles of his.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games comes around. His speciality is skiing. Cream's mind was blown - "I never knew that Eggman Nega was such a good skier..."

And we still don't see him put those damn goggles on. ;_;

See where this link takes you, guys.

http://sonicthehedgehog4.com/

OSM at Retro pointed this out.

Check the WhoIs info. Probably not Sega, even though it's in 'Frisco. Wouldn't be surprised if somebody laid a few bucks down for the domain and set it to redirect just to watch fans wet themselves.

Sonic 4 it is then, I actually thought we were going to have a game without any leaks this time. There was a trailer? Did anyone see it?

EDIT:

That other site has ripped it to shreds -

http://www.tssznews.com/2010/01/30/first-tssz-sonicthehedgehog4-com-registered-to-sega/

Like the ASR leak shizzle I'm not reporting on it out of respect.

Sonic 4 it is then, I actually thought we were going to have a game without any leaks this time. There was a trailer? Did anyone see it?

No trailer, just a redirect to SEGA's homepage.

There was a trailer in the ftp? DAMN THEM.

Okay. I'll bite.

Explain to me how Amy's jump in both age and appearance, the completely different Master Emerald shrine, the alterations to the Chaotix, the introduction of G.U.N. and the establishment of their inteference in Robotnik-family-related affairs as far as 50 years back, and the sudden introduction of worldwide human cities with a President in a White House (amongst many other differences) is in-canon with any of the games before 1998 and I will totally believe you on that point.

Winks and nods don't overshadow the fact that their approach to the entire universe was different. Which is what I would call, from a design standpoint, a reset. If you'd rather I say retcon, I'll say retcon. It doesn't make much difference to me.

@Nitro: Before playing the game, Eggman's redesign was my favorite thing about it. If they could just take that design and make it less intense/realistic, I'd be pleased as punch.

Then why 7 emeralds instead of 6? Sonic's age started as 18, then changed to 16 or so. The story retcons, from Sonic 2, to Sonic 3, to Sonic & Knuckles. It doesn't matter. None of those were reasons for resets. Amy's age was something that was mentioned in passing in what, one manual? There have been more inconsistencies within manuals than just an age. There was no reset for Adventure. There was never one, much to our disgrace, because we all want for Shadow's game to be forgotten.

Edited by redmenace

The trailer I'm referring to was the teaser from 9/9/09... at what point in time did I indicate that it was a new one?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm getting the same with 8 and 9 and 10 in the URL too, something seems off or someone's playing games with us lol!

EDIT:

Sorry Indigo, guess we're all caught up in this whole mess so when you mention trailer we panic XD

Just found the nail in the coffin, the exact same thing happens when you put 1, 2 or 3 in the URL too.

Explain to me how Amy's jump in both age and appearance

It is never explicitly stated how much of a time gap there is between Adventure and the classics.

the completely different Master Emerald shrine

He could've moved it.

the alterations to the Chaotix

I'll give you that.

the introduction of G.U.N. and the establishment of their inteference in Robotnik-family-related affairs as far as 50 years back, and the sudden introduction of worldwide human cities with a President in a White House

The old games never had any pre-established mythos concerning GUN, Eggman's past and the human population. It's easy assume that they all were there, just never mentioned. Also, it's pretty clear that the Adventures most likely toke place on a completely different region than the locales of the classic games.

Winks and nods don't overshadow the fact that their approach to the entire universe was different.

Barely. Pretty much everything in the modern games could easily fit with the established mythos of the old games, and the only major retcon are the Chaotix's ages, and even then they could barely have been considered a part of the main canon until Heroes.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tristan's really asking for SEGA's lawyers to come his way with that article he's put up.

If it's called Sonic 4 it's called Sonic 4, the game itself is more important than the name in my book. I can't think of anything you could label a back to roots Sonic game that rolls retro feel off your tongue.

Damnit SEGA, don't call it Sonic 4 if it doesn't have fucking Tails and Knuckles.

That's my comment.

Well at least without Tails. XD

One or both of them might show up in cameo appearances though. I shall be waiting with BAITED breath here.

Okay. I'll bite.

Explain to me

OK!

Amy's jump in both age and appearance

Re-con. 'Sides, Amy only appeared in maybe one completely canon game, and even then how she looked/her age does not matter to it. Also, just how many years between CD and Adventure, anyway?

completely different Master Emerald shrine

The Emerald shirne has never had a complete set-in-stone design, as with Angel Island. That would mean Sonic Adventure was re-set by SA2, SA2 by Battle, and so forth.

the alterations to the Chaotix

We never recieved a ton of information on them in the first place, it's actually theored Mighty went off to have his own adventures (Mighty was an explorer, if I remember correctly).

introduction of G.U.N. and the establishment of their inteference in Robotnik-family-related affairs as far as 50 years back

They were just that- an introduction. Does that mean you can't add other elements to a story?

and the sudden introduction of worldwide human cities with a President in a White House

The Japanese canon, which is what the new games go by, said that Sonic lived with humans, and that the planet had cities. (Pic, pic, and pic).

Obviously, if you go by the story-line the West picked up, it's a re-launch in many aspects. But if you are going by SEGA of Japan's original designs, it fits quite well.

Edited by BlazingTales
  • Thumbs Up 1