Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

And the fanbase argues on and on and on... over 25 seconds of a blue ball bouncing around on a black background with the occasional ring.

Your statement is very subjective anyway. Given the fact that he may have (and others will have) enjoyed some of the 3D Sonic games. That and given the fact that there was no gameplay shown (really all that trailer had was Speed is back and a silohuteed Sonic logo) theres no telling were this can go. Its somewhat hypocritical to no nothing of a 3D Sonic game but say that it'll suck anyway and then no the same amount about a 'new 2d game' and say that it'll be good. Based on well nothing. Not hating on this at all, but I'm not up for double standards sorry.

See above post. And Sonic can't be dead because he isn't alive to begin with. That and death would imply nothingness. I still see Sonic games being made that sell more than a lot of better quality titles out there.

By crappy, I'm talking about the majority of opinions towards these new Sonic games. You can't tell me and be honest that most people enjoy Sonic's new 3D titles, when everyone here knows that these latest titles are, in the end, way below the bar of what a Sonic game should be. Sure, it could be fun to him, but to most people, it isn't fun.

Yes, no gameplay was shown, but it should be a given that -- it being a 2D title -- the chances of it not being more enjoyable than Sonic Unleashed at least is slim.

Also, of course Sonic isn't "alive" or "dead." Surely you know I didn't mean that in the organic sense.

It's a change after all the big 3D stuff we've been getting over the years. XD

Technically they've still released 2D Sonic games, but I see your point. Granted at this point, we don't know how ''big'' it'll be. Compartively speaking anyway.

By crappy, I'm talking about the majority of opinions towards these new Sonic games. You can't tell me and be honest that most people enjoy Sonic's new 3D titles, when everyone here knows that these latest titles are, in the end, way below the bar of what a Sonic game should be. Sure, it could be fun to him, but to most people, it isn't fun.

I really don't want to get into this, but okay.

So if it is for him, why is the ''supposed or apparent'' majority a factor? Despite that there is still no objective majority. There is the apparent majority, who only appear to be the majority due to how vocal they are. Besides you fail too see my point.

Yes, no gameplay was shown, but it should be a given that -- it being a 2D title -- the chances of it not being more enjoyable than Sonic Unleashed at least is slim.

Why is it a given? I repeat no gameplay was shown. Game=gameplay. Therefore how can you make any solid judgement? The same applies to new 3D Sonic games but the reverse. And you do know that the people who made the classics aren't going to be making this right?

Also, of course Sonic isn't "alive" or "dead." Surely you know I didn't mean that in the organic sense.

I do and it still doesn't make sense.

Edited by blackherox

Why am I always late for important stuff like this?! O_O

Anyway, I'm just as excited as when I first heard news of Unleashed.

*Epic announcer voice* Guys...this is gonna be big.

Can't.. hold... it....*spazzes*

Edited by Ferno

Technically they've still released 2D Sonic games, but I see your point. Granted at this point, we don't know how ''big'' it'll be. Compartively speaking anyway.

Yeah of course, we've had the spin-offs like Rush and Rivals, and then crap like Sonic Genesis and the re-releases of old titles. With a teaser like this though, on the 10th anniversary of release date of the Dreamcast, I feel they're hoping for this title to be much bigger than that of Rush and Rivals. I don't believe either of those games, or any of the 2D Sonic games released in the past 14 or so years have had teasers like this. It really does seem like it's going to be SEGA's 'Mega Man 9' after looking who the Target Audience is.

And most of us aren't arguing, just discussing. XD

Maybe the community wouldn't conflict like this if Sega hadn't split their franchise and therefore fans into so many different types. Just saying.

Yeah of course, we've had the spin-offs like Rush and Rivals, and then crap like Sonic Genesis and the re-releases of old titles. With a teaser like this though, on the 10th anniversary of release date of the Dreamcast, I feel they're hoping for this title to be much bigger than that of Rush and Rivals. I don't believe either of those games, or any of the 2D Sonic games released in the past 14 or so years have had teasers like this. It really does seem like it's going to be SEGA's 'Mega Man 9' after looking who the Target Audience is.

True, but as far as marketing goes if was just ''downloadable'', why would this game been any ''big'' then say the Rush titles or rivals which were more ''budget titles'' given there more solid release states. Thats assuming its downloable though. If its solid, then I gues I can see that.

And most of us aren't arguing, just discussing. XD

More like debating.

Thanks to this and previous installments of stuff like this happening, I now call it; "The Politics of Sonic T. Hedgehog".

Edited by Rice Golem

Maybe the community wouldn't conflict like this if Sega hadn't split their franchise and therefore fans into so many different types. Just saying.

Exactly why there is so much fighting going on right now. You are seeing specifically the types of groups that exist with this franchise.

The old old school fans are either: blowing a nut / blowing a nut & slightly skeptical / skeptical while slightly fapping.

The new school fans are either: pissed / skeptical / open to change

The fans that had hope for 3D Sonic, or enjoyed 3D Sonic with old school backgrounds: unsure / skeptical while fapping

I don't know -- there's so many divisions. Old School who hate the new games, Old school who enjoy/don't mind the new games, New school who hate/never played the old games, new school who enjoy/don't mind the old games, etc.

To be fair they didn't have that much choice in that regard. That and even though splits exist, there's no reason why everyone can't discuss there views and state the opinions respectfully and without conflict. That is the fault of the individual.

Edited by blackherox

Arg why is everyone acting like this is the ultimate end of Sonic in 3D? They're just giving you what you've been pining for and yet the bitching just found another outlet!

Exactly why there is so much fighting going on right now. You are seeing specifically the types of groups that exist with this franchise.

The old old school fans are either: blowing a nut / blowing a nut & slightly skeptical / skeptical while slightly fapping.

The new school fans are either: pissed / skeptical / open to change

The fans that had hope for 3D Sonic, or enjoyed 3D Sonic with old school backgrounds: unsure / skeptical while fapping

I don't know -- there's so many divisions. Old School who hate the new games, Old school who enjoy/don't mind the new games, New school who hate/never played the old games, new school who enjoy/don't mind the old games, etc.

How I think of it, I don't think this will be a rebirth or anything. I don't think this is pinnacle or low point, I just think it's a game, in 2d, based on Sonic., and I think I may enjoy it. I don't think so much in big overall pictures but individual titles released

Sonic 06 was Sonic 06

Sonic Adventure was Sonic Adventure

They were made by different teams at different times.

This is this, and I'll form my own opinion on it. It's either going to be fun or not fun, all that matters to me.

So if it is for him, why is the ''supposed or apparent'' majority a factor? Despite that there is still no objective majority. There is the apparent majority, who only appear to be the majority due to how vocal they are. Besides you fail too see my point.

Not to mention that 3D Sonic games still sell around or over a million units. Sonic 06 had the least amount of sales, but it still came close to a mil.

I know someone's not thinking logically, because that's not how it works...

Regardless of what you meant Sonic's still been kicking despite recent 3D mess-ups and regardless of the over-vocal "majority".

Arg why is everyone acting like this is the ultimate end of Sonic in 3D? They're just giving you what you've been pining for and yet the bitching just found another outlet!

It's funny how it ends up flipping out the other end after all these years. :lol:

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Who knows, maybe this is the big "Sonic Rage" some dude was going on about a few months back.

*Everyone turns and looks*

..What? I'm just playin' around. :P

Not to mention that 3D Sonic games still sell around or over a million units. Sonic 06 had the least amount of sales, but it still came close to a mil.

I know someone's not thinking logically, because that's not how it works...

Regardless of what you meant Sonic's still been kicking despite recent 3D mess-ups and regardless of the over-vocal "majority".

Also, let's not forget that:

Which shows how even games like ShTH and even Sonic 06 to an extend managed to do well.

Not thinking logically? I don't think you're thinking logically. How much do you think Sonic Team is going to make this game different from the original gameplay formula if they're trying to please the most critical region of their fanbase? Eitherway, if you go by statistics of the success (critically) of 2D games, and the success (critically) of 3D games past Adventure 2 ... the 2D games are generally always praised way higher than any of these 3D games ever have been. Even games like Sonic Rush were praised, which put speed way over other factors, like momentum-based platforming, that "made" the classic games unique and enjoyable.

Regarding on the "good" sales of the recent 3D Sonic games, we'll see, if Sonic Team does pull this off, exactly how this game sales in comparison. Some folks fail to realize that this doesn't just pertain to old-school Sonic fans -- let's say they hypothetically are 10% of the fanbase, guess who else is going to buy the game? A large division of the new Sonic fans are going to buy it, just for the name alone. Casuals who jump on the hype train are going to buy it, as well as people who just want a new casual game to play.

Edited by serpx

Okay, before i can say anything of interest to the rest of you, i just have to let this out:

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...phew, that felt good. In fact, it felt so good that i cant help but:

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, now im done... (yyeeeeess :P)

So, now to make an actuall comment. I for one hope they completly go all out on the retro-thing with this game, both when it comes to characters, style and other elements. Now, i know that a lot of you are thinking: "but silly fanpleasing doesn't effect the actuall gameplay in any way, a 2D Sonic game can be great even if it doesn't play on the retro-angle at all". That's very true: 2D Sonic games that doesn't have a retro-theme are being released regularly (Rush, Rivals), and many of them are great, without having any kind of retro-appeal. However, it is obvious that for this particular Sonic game, the retro-theme is the very thing that makes it distinct from those other new 2D Sonic games; the whole point of this games existence is to be a nostalgic 90's throwback. And since that's the case, i see no reason for Sega not to take this basic idea as far as they can. Like, if the point of this game is to provide a feeling to the gamer that makes him go "aww, this takes me back" then why not try to make that feeling as strong as humanly possible? So i hope for:

Only classic characters (which of course aslo means that Eggman should be not only the main but the only villain)

The classic design for those characters

A stylized look similar to that of the Mega Drive games

Music that is of a similar kind to that of the Mega Drive games, and also some remixes of music from those games

Badniks with animals in them

The story being simple and having something to do with the Death Egg, Angel Island, South Island, or some other aspect of the story from the Mega Drive games

No dialogue

Okay, before i can say anything of interest to the rest of you, i just have to let this out:

...phew, that felt good. In fact, it felt so good that i cant help but:

Okay, now im done... (yyeeeeess :P)

Just let it out man, let it out. *pats back* :lol:

I did the same thing in real life just a few minutes ago. =p

Edited by Ferno

3 Words.

Physics based gameplay.

Are you daft?! Physics... in MY 2D Sonic?!

I have no idea where I'm going with this, but I want those pinball physics... hell, I want a Pinball Zone too. I can hope, maybe even dream, too.

This could be freaking awesome. I havce faith in Sega/Sonic Team. Expecting something pretty good, but who knows, could be FOOKING EPIC.

WHEN YOU SEE IT, YOU'LL SHIT BRICKS.

Not thinking logically? I don't think you're thinking logically.

How? Just because I don't think 2D is what will make this game great? :rolleyes:

How much do you think Sonic Team is going to make this game different from the original gameplay formula if they're trying to please the most critical region of their fanbase?

The same they've always made when they weren't trying to please them.

Eitherway, if you go by statistics of the success (critically) of 2D games, and the success (critically) of 3D games past Adventure 2 ... the 2D games are generally always praised way higher than any of these 3D games ever have been.

Slightly. Combined, the general 3D games come just as close as the 2D games. And even individually the 3D games do well enough to rival the success of the 2D games.

The highest selling 2D game was Sonic 2 with over 6 million units, while the highest selling 3D is Sonic Heroes with 5 million. And even taking to account the other games, the 3D come close to the 2D by almost a million units.

Even games like Sonic Rush were praised, which put speed way over other factors, like momentum-based platforming, that "made" the classic games unique and enjoyable.

Okay...

Regarding on the "good" sales of the recent 3D Sonic games, we'll see, if Sonic Team does pull this off, exactly how this game sales in comparison. Some folks fail to realize that this doesn't just pertain to old-school Sonic fans -- let's say they hypothetically are 10% of the fanbase, guess who else is going to buy the game? A large division of the new Sonic fans are going to buy it, just for the name alone.

No shit, Sherlock.

These same new fans are also the ones that led Shadow to sell over a million and Sonic Unleashed over 2 million units.

Casuals who jump on the hype train are going to buy it, as well as people who just want a new casual game to play.

Which again are likely the same people who contributed to Unleashed's success.

3D or 2D doesn't affect a thing in how this sell, because as you admitted, folks buy the game by name alone.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

How? Just because I don't think 2D is what will make this game great? :rolleyes:

The same they've always made when they weren't trying to please them.

Slightly. Combined, the general 3D games way outsell the 2D games. And even individually the 3D games do well enough to rival the success of the 2D games.

The highest selling 2D game was Sonic 2 with over 6 million units, while the highest selling 3D is Sonic Heroes with 5 million. And even taking to account the other games, the 3D come close to the 2D by almost a million units.

To note, the Advance games weren't heavily marketed. Marketing has a huge impact on game sales. I'm interested in how much this title will sale, compared to the recent adventures.