Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

To note, the Advance games weren't heavily marketed. Marketing has a huge impact on game sales. I'm interested in how much this title will sale, compared to the recent adventures.

I wasn't including the Advance or even the Rivals games, nor did I include any 3D spin-offs like SatSR.

The game will sell just previous games before it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I wasn't including the Advance or even the Rivals games, nor did I include any 3D spin-offs like SatSR.

That's obvious, and doesn't change my point. I'm just saying, marketing makes a difference. Were the financially successful Sonic games heavily marketed? Also, not only did Sonic Heroes release after the successful Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, but it was also multiplatform, which obviously makes a mega difference when it comes to sales.

For example, how much did Unleashed sell just on the Xbox 360? Compared to Sonic 2 selling only on the Genesis? Puts things into perspective.

Just let it out man, let it out. *pats back* :lol:

I did the same thing in real life just a few minutes ago. =p

Yeah, there is just no greater feeling than a good ol', full blown nerdgasm :P

I haven't felt this excited over any new pop-culture thingy (you know, movies, games, books, whatever) since the first news of the Simpsons movie came out in 2006. :D

That's obvious, and doesn't change my point.

Then why the hell did you bring up the Advance series?

I'm just saying, marketing makes a difference. Were the financially successful Sonic games heavily marketed?

Some were some weren't. That didn't stop many of them from selling over a million units.

Also, not only did Sonic Heroes release after the successful Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, but it was also multiplatform, which obviously makes a mega difference when it comes to sales.

And that's a GOOD thing for Sonic, so that players who have a Gamecube and not a PS2 or Xbox won't be left out of the experience on their favorite console.

For example, how much did Unleashed sell just on the Xbox 360? Compared to Sonic 2 selling only on the Genesis? Puts things into perspective.

Unleashed sold 2,400,000 units combined on 4 systems. You can't make a point just because Unleashed is multiplatform, and Sonic 2 isn't. That was Sonic's home console back in the day, but now he doesn't have a console of his own.

If the classics were multiplatform back in the day, you wouldn't be making that perspective in the first place.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Very interesting. Now I'm starting to guess enhanced remake on this one.

But to answer the question, not sure if it is.

It's kind of old, but also seemingly not the doing of Sega, what with being on Dreamhost and such.

Very interesting. Now I'm starting to guess enhanced remake on this one.

But to answer the question, not sure if it is.

To answer your question....Yes unfortunately its like 3 pages old. (yeah like 12+ pages in a day only one can imagine the amount of pages you'll see once we finally see gameplay)

To answer your question....Yes unfortunately its like 3 pages old. (yeah like 12+ pages in a day only one can imagine the amount of pages you'll see once we finally see gameplay)

lol ok, I was trying to see if I could find something new, anyway that is a legit site thought right?

Then why the hell did you bring up the Advance series?

Some were some weren't. That didn't stop many of them from selling over a million units.

And that's a GOOD thing for Sonic, so that players who have a Gamecube and not a PS2 or Xbox won't be left out of the experience on their favorite console.

Unleashed sold 2,400,000 units combined on 4 systems. You can't make a point just because Unleashed is multiplatform, and Sonic 2 isn't. That was Sonic's home console back in the day, but now he doesn't have a console of his own.

If the classics were multiplatform back in the day, you wouldn't be making that perspective in the first place.

I wouldn't be making that perspective, but they weren't multiplatform, so I am.

Also, I used the Advance statement because it supported my idea, and some people have the "the new 2D game sell less than 3D game" attitude -- not saying you do.

Anyways, there's reasons why some games have sold a truckload, and some games haven't. Sonic 2 sold because of marketing, because of the success of Sonic 1, and because of the name "Sonic." Also, because it's a damn fun game.

Sonic Heroes has high sales because it came after the success of some awesome Sonic games, it's multiplatform, and it has the name "Sonic." Was the game damn fun? Well, it wasn't a Sonic the Hedgehog 06.

Sonic Unleashed sold all right, but what killed it was it didn't have much successful titles before it, whereas games like Sonic 2 and Sonic Heroes did. Also, a lot of critical slam didn't help out too much. On some consoles alone, Unleashed sold less than a million, which is pathetic compared to how Sonic should be selling.

This new Sonic game will more than likely give SEGA the kind of sales it desires, if its as retro as currently advertised. Sonic Unlesahed wasn't too bad of a game. It's going to sale a lot heavier on nostalgia, which is a powerful drive (see: Mario). It's going to be on a main console, which is a bigger deal than a handheld. We shall see.

Edited by serpx

And hell - even now, as they finally give in and do what EVERYBODY HAS WANTED FOR THE LAST FUCKING DECADE, people are BITCHING AND MOANING more than ever!! What the fuck!?

Like I said a while back in the thread, this is more along the lines of caution than bitching. I gave Sega too much of the benefit of the doubt with Unleashed. In a strange reversal of the trend, rather than this being a case of "I'll never be fooled again", Unleashed was only Sonic game to fool me.

I really hope Sonic has the modern design. I hope this game has an actual story like the Rushes did. But I can't believe in it right now, for some reason.

I sincerely hope this isn't the end for 3D Sonic... but everything ends sometime, and no matter what you try to convince yourselves of, this really could be it. Please, somebody prove that wrong. Please, please.

Based on the interview and the stuff Hayes was talking about a while back, I think the idea is for this to be the first step at rediscovering Sonic so that Sega can get him back into 3D correctly. What comes of this remains to be seen.

Sonic 3 actually had an actual plot. Sure it wasn't that complex, but honestly, was there anything about the Rushes plot outside of the boat building in Rush Adventure that really required dialog? <- Hasn't played much of Rush.

Disclaimer: I was never part of the '2d will fix Sonic' bandwagon; I liked the 2d games, but I've always been for 3d when it comes to Sonic. Just so you know I'm not being contradictory.

I never was either.

Edited by Phos

Hmm... I don't know what to think.

I mean, love 2-D Sonic. I grew with it. But I also love many of the 3-D outings and anything related to it (characters, story, gameplay, immersiveness, etc).

I don't really care if it's using an old style (assuming it's a remake). Or using sprites and such. If this game is planned to cater the fans of the old, I see no harm to let them have it the way they want.

Just as long as it doesn't mean giving up anything I like about the current Sonic now (like his current design, recognition of other characters, 3-D outings, etc). That would leave be terribly dissapointed, regardless of how good the game is.

I can somehow read what Urtheart exactly thinks about the idea. But I'll keep my mouth shut too. XP;

Anyway, colour me not excited, but not bitter either. ^^;

Yeah, there is just no greater feeling than a good ol', full blown nerdgasm :P

I haven't felt this excited over any new pop-culture thingy (you know, movies, games, books, whatever) since the first news of the Simpsons movie came out in 2006. :D

And like Unleashed, the Simpsons Movie surpassed all expectations when people thought it would suck based on the franchise's recent track record. :P

I loved the film, and seeing countless people on the net proclaim "OMG IT DOESN'T SUCK!!1!" Really made my day.

But urm, sorry to get off topic guys. =p Carry on.

Like I said a while back in the thread, this is more along the lines of caution than bitching.

And no offence mate, but I mostly see you bitching and moaning here. I'm perfectly happy with whatever they wish to do, whether it be evolve the series ala Unleashed or this.

No offense taken bolt, I probably deserved that. ^_^;

I knew I wouldn't be so dramatic about this later, which I'm not now. Was venting, I guess; it deserves a chance.

Umm, hm... WOOT, new Sonic game! [/totallyforcedbutIamtrying]

...:unsure:

Edited by DC111
  • Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so maybe I said I thought of 2D as a cop out earlier but think of it this way:

A 2D Sonic game could be what Sonic may need to get himself back on the good side of the public and if that's the way it has to be, then I'm down with that.

While I'm hoping for more of a 2.5D experience if it has to sprite based, I want them to go all out ala Wario Land Shake It. I've always wanted to see a Sonic game that looked like a cartoon.

Sonic 3 actually had an actual plot. Sure it wasn't that complex, but honestly, was there anything about the Rushes plot outside of the boat building in Rush Adventure that really required dialog? <- Hasn't played much of Rush.

Rush itself had a particularly horrible script and would probably have done better dialogue-less, but imo SRA did have some really nice story/dialogue as you got along with it. Particularly Cap'n Whiskers and his robot parrots. Excising his dialogue would have been much to the game's loss.

While I accept that S3&K did fine without text of any sort, telling their stories through mute cutscenes, I don't think dialogue and complex plot development through... y'know, voice, is much of a problem. While it's not been so prevelant here, the cries of "OMG HEROIC MUTE SONIC PLZ PLZ PLZ" on Sonic Retro indicate to me that a section of the nostalgic fanbase are so determined to see Everything Like It Was On The Genesis that they haven't stopped to consider that a game with dialogue (and thus the prospect for reasonable character interaction and most of the story) gutted out of it has great potential to be boring and flat. Again, I know S3&K managed it, but... we're not four years old any more. I'm not sure that just bright colours and silence can really tell a tale I'd be satisfied with.

And without dialogue, we'd have no Crowning Moments of Awesome in the style:

Tails: How did you know it was a fake Emerald?

Robotnik: Because you just told me, fox boy!

• Thumbs Up 1

Rush itself had a particularly horrible script and would probably have done better dialogue-less, but imo SRA did have some really nice story/dialogue as you got along with it. Particularly Cap'n Whiskers and his robot parrots. Excising his dialogue would have been much to the game's loss.

While I accept that S3&K did fine without text of any sort, telling their stories through mute cutscenes, I don't think dialogue and complex plot development through... y'know, voice, is much of a problem. While it's not been so prevelant here, the cries of "OMG HEROIC MUTE SONIC PLZ PLZ PLZ" on Sonic Retro indicate to me that a section of the nostalgic fanbase are so determined to see Everything Like It Was On The Genesis that they haven't stopped to consider that a game with dialogue (and thus the prospect for reasonable character interaction and most of the story) gutted out of it has great potential to be boring and flat. Again, I know S3&K managed it, but... we're not four years old any more. I'm not sure that just bright colours and silence can really tell a tale I'd be satisfied with.

And without dialogue, we'd have no Crowning Moments of Awesome in the style:

QFT. Take Brawl's Subspace Emissionary for example. Everyone was a mute there and I had absolutely NO idea what the fuck was going on. If not use voices then at least grunts with texts or hell a narrator would've been nice to have!

And this is personally preference, but I've always found heroic mimes to be... dorky. The only exception being Crash Bandicoot in Twinsanity.

Edited by Slasher

No offense taken bolt, I probably deserved that. ^_^;

I knew I wouldn't be so dramatic about this later, which I'm not now. Was venting, I guess; it deserves a chance.

Umm, hm... WOOT, new Sonic game! [/totallyforcedbutIamtrying]

...:unsure:

You dont have to pretend to get excited over something when you're not, but honestly, some of the things you've said make it seem like you think the Sonic series is coming to an end or something (whereas most others see this game as a potential new begining).

Edited by batson

So the site is fake huh?

I didn't really mind, the whole thing just seemed rather out of place with what little we've been given, so we shouldn't assume anything until we find out more about this game. For all we know, we may not even get a GHZ or anything like that. The setting could take place in the same general areas Unleashed did. So until we see more, I won't make any assumptions.

I gotta hand it to the guy who made that site. Made fools out of most of us.

Hmmmmm... well then. Didn't expect this.

I'll use the same argument I use for when people tell me I should vote: I don't want to feel like a dumbass if I end up picking someone who's gonna fuck up.

So I'll reserve my judgment until further development.