Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Actually, the buckles are still on his shoes. At least from what I saw in the trailer.

Hmm, seems he's wearing them in the trailer but the model on his character page on the website doesn't seem to have them unless their out of sight.

01.jpg

Oh you little bitch SEGA.

Mmpresent.png

ROTATING PLATFORMS ARE BACK

*Edit: Because I realise it might not be automatically apparent given my general glass-half-empty disposition so far, let me make it clear: This pleases me.

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen

The trailer has been posted about 70 times on YouTube now XD

OK went through ALL of the site info, yes even all of the boring HTML code and here is all I can say:

The "5 zones" thing is bullshit, there is text files labeled "zone1", "zone2", "zone3", "zone4", and "zones". I think this just means they will show previews of the first 4 zones and then the rest they may give the name of but not do a full preview. In other words, there is not 4-5 zones in the game, that's how many they may fully label on the site.

There is a placeholder on the sidebar under videos called "Intro".

There is some sidebar placeholder called "Broniks".

The sites second character thing is labeled "Enemies".

The site has a music section but not up yet.

NOW the two most interesting things, the site has a sidebar named "MainSecret". There is no info on it in the document, but brought up several times, a sidebar on the site named "MainSecret" I guess is some big reveal.

SECOND OF ALL:

needlemousehuh.png

Edited by Dusk the Fragile Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 1

So...I set my alarm to wake me up at 2:30...but I wake up at 6:30 instead...

But yeah- I still saw the news so it's cool. =)

Sonic 4 huh? I can honestly say I didn't see this one coming. With everyone saying this was gonna be called "sonic 4" I thought Sega would've totally surprised us, but it's still alright though.

But by using the title, the new Sonic Team's got some big shoes to fill, and alot of people to convince, though I believe they can pull it off.

*cant hold it in* XD OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGSONIC4SONIC4SONIC4!!1! *shot*

I seriously couldn't care less about the name, son.

Funny that you don't care when you were so quick to jump to inciting a name war, sonny. ooo I can be passive aggressive too.

Everyones entitled to an opinion and I'm just saying classic inspired game deserves classic Eggman name.

Assuming? I thought it was practically common knowledge that the classic games take place before any of the modern games. If this game picks up directly after S3&K, how can it take place anywhere after SA1? The series canon is not that loose or screwy even with the whole Blaze ordeal.

And I wonder why you assuming that Sega are going to make another continuity after that one instance where they screwed up Blaze. That's not even possible unless they're including other dimensions and time periods like they did when they screwed up with Blaze and Silver.

Are you not getting this? Not every game is set into a definitive "Sonic history timeline" in fact some would argue that the games are so contradictorary that it is pointless to do so, and I would've thought knowing Sonic Team's history of not caring about the continuity of Sonic games you would know that they probably have put little thought into the spot of the "timeline" this falls under. The "After Sonic3&Knuckles" thing is merely a gimmick to make us classic fans squeal, I doubt it'll have any real follow on (that is to say I doubt it'll reference S3&K at all, and someone who hasn't played S3&K could pick this up without knowing the prelude), in reality I'm assuming this game will stand alone.

To simplify, I don't really think Sonic Team have Sonic Adventure in mind at all, they are simply creating a game to appeal to classic Sonic fans and throwing the tag of "follow on from Sonic3" in to seal the deal. Sonic games are well known for not making sense from one to the next (at least modern ones are) so what makes you think this is set in stone/rock :P to happen before Sonic Adventure? For all you know they could be making a different continuity altogether, one that only includes Sonic1,2,3&K and CD and then Sonic 4 and anything that comes after it in 2D, and have the 3D games as a seperate continuity. Who knows how they think or view the series. And I'd still like to know how this being before SA effects Nacks chance of being in Sonic4???

They thought the Chaotix were scrapped until they returned in Heroes. But they were uninvolved in anything except Knuckles Chaotix, and were practically retconed in Heroes as new characters.

I find it very unlikely that Nack would have a lick of a chance of appearing in this game. I think he has a better chance of appearing in a new 3D game than this one.

I'm sorry, what? You say that Nack has no chance of appearing in a new game because he is all but dead - I say it worked for the Chaotix - then you say......what? I'm not following. Are you assuming he won't come back because he can't be retconned for the game? I can't see why Nack, a classic character, can't turn up in a game harking back to the classics. It's a longshot, but its the best shot he's had so far, and I think he has way more chance appearing in this than in a 3D game as the 3D title will opt for Generic the hedgehog and ten of his buddies before it ever would consider Nack. Edited by The-Master-Board

UGH! I HATE this shitty slow computer/internet making me double post all the time! Really dreading having to download Sonic 4 using this slow crap!

Just to make this post worth something; where are you people finding all this info on roatating platforms and such from? I can only see whats been revealed on the website so far?

Edited by The-Master-Board

Alright, now let's talk accessories.

I want them to make a controller shell for the Wii remote that's in the shape of a Genesis controller, or release a classic controller modeled after the 6 button controller.

I made this for the post I wrote on Sega Memories:

all4p.jpg

Also, chill on Takashi Iizuka. His 2D and 2.5D games were solid, his 3D games had good ideas but weren't implemented well. He's great at 2D, not so much at 3D. Thankfully this is a 2.5D game. The man was Game Designer on S3&K and NiD for cripes sake!

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what this all reminds me of?

New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

And I really like the thought of that approach. And the graphical style of it too. Even though we've seen a screenshot and a three-second trailer. I like it.

Well, it looks very good and all, but my only gripes are the running animation (the 'wheel legs' would look better if they can do it), the homing attack (eh, I'm sketchy about this and I'd rather just let the spindash be the only move), and that it is only available in DLC (I believe) which, of course, I don't use or get at all. So it looks I'm skipping on this one unless they're willing to sell it on a 360 or Wii disc with all episodes that will really make my day.

So yeah, I was called by 7 different friends at 5AM to tell me that Project Needlemouse was Sonic 4. Everyone I know is pretty excited about this, which is good as my Xbox360 is not connected to the internet and I have no HDD in it anyway, so I'll just ask someone else to lend me their console when it releases :P.

Funny that you don't care when you were so quick to jump to inciting a name war, sonny.

Well, someone obviously missed the part where I said was joking the whole time...sonny. I made that clear the moment you quoted me on it. Funny how that went over your head, isn't it. :rolleyes:

And on top of that, that comment wasn't even directed anyone in the first place. You took it upon yourself to speak out against it.

ooo I can be passive aggressive too.

Ok? Good for you, I guess.

Everyones entitled to an opinion and I'm just saying classic inspired game deserves classic Eggman name.

And I'm just saying that I don't care about the name. I prefer Eggman, but I couldn't care less either way it goes.

Are you not getting this? Not every game is set into a definitive "Sonic history timeline" in fact some would argue that the games are so contradictorary that it is pointless to do so, and I would've thought knowing Sonic Team's history of not caring about the continuity of Sonic games you would know that they probably have put little thought into the spot of the "timeline" this falls under. The "After Sonic3&Knuckles" thing is merely a gimmick to make us classic fans squeal, I doubt it'll have any real follow on (that is to say I doubt it'll reference S3&K at all, and someone who hasn't played S37K could pick this up without knowing the prelude), in reality I'm assuming this game will stand alone.

I know for certain that I and many people have come to know that the Classics came before the the Modern games, and that this game is said to take place after S3&K. That's not saying that this game isn't going to stand alone, but that this new adventure is taking place after the events of S3&K and, based off of the references in the first Adventures, will take place before SA1.

To simplify, I don't really think Sonic Team have Sonic Adventure in mind at all, they are simply creating a game to appeal to classic Sonic fans and throwing the tag of "follow on from Sonic3" in to seal the deal. Sonic games are well known for not making sense from one to the next (at least modern ones are) so what makes you think this is set in stone/rock :P to happen before Sonic Adventure?

Because it takes place after Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which is before Sonic Adventure. That's what makes me think this is set in stone to happen before SA1. Obviously by the way the characters interacted with each other in that game, and even had flashbacks of the past kind of establish that connection between the classics and the modern games:

-Amy remembered the time when she was being rescued by Sonic with Metal Sonic tailing after them. Metal Sonic only appeared with any significance to the series plots in Sonic CD (minus the spin-offs), which came before SA1. I doubt Sonic Team would just throw that in there just to put it there just for the hell of it. That was obviously a reference to Sonic CD

-Then there's the lines from the characters, "Hey Sonic. Long time no see, huh?" implying that they haven't seen each other for quite a while. For all we know, they didn't see each other after the events of S3&K (or even this game right now)

-And if the second one doesn't it cut it for you, then how about Sonic's line to Knuckles: "Knuckles, don't tell me Eggman tricked you again?" And how many times has Rad Red been tricked before SA1? That's obviously a reference to S3&K when Eggman tricked him to fighting Sonic throughout most of the game until realizing the truth.

These three references alone are enough to show that SA1 takes place after S3&K, and if Sonic 4 is said to take place after S3&K, then where else would it fit but inbetween the two games? Believe it or not, there is somewhat of a set chronology with these games.

For all you know they could be making a different continuity altogether, one that only includes Sonic1,2,3&K and CD and then Sonic 4 and anything that comes after it in 2D, and have the 3D games as a seperate continuity. Who knows how they think or view the series.

Based off of the references they sometimes slide in the games, I think it's quite clear how they view the series.

And I'd still like to know how this being before SA effects Nacks chance of being in Sonic4???

Based off of what I just gave you. He wasn't in S3&K and he wasn't in SA1 or any of the the games afterwards, and this game takes places after Sonic 3 & Knuckles and continues afterwards. If Nack isn't in any of the games between those periods, I doubt he will be in this one.

He's barely referenced in any of the games since Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I doubt this game will even make any consideration of him being in this game, regardless of his classic status.

I'm sorry, what? You say that Nack has no chance of appearing in a new gmae because he is all but dead - I say it worked for the Chaotix - then you say......what? I'm not following. Are you assuming he won't come back because he can't be retconned for the game?

I said that he has a better chance of appearing in a new game than in this game, so stop twisting up the words please. It's not helping your argument at all.

But yes, I am assuming that he can't be retconned for this game in particular. There's barely any hints for him to be in this game at all. That's just my guess on it, and I really doubt he will appear. But even I know that's not 100% guaranteed.

I can't see why Nack, a classic character, can't turn up in a game harking back to the classics. It's a longshot, but its the best shot he's had so far, and I think he has way more chance appearing in this than in a 3D game as the 3D title will opt for Generic the hedgehog and ten of his buddies before it ever would consider Nack.

Are you really going to stir this crap up on the 3D games? It's funny, because in one of those 3D games it actually retconned the Chaotix. So if they can do that for the Chaotix in a 3D game, they can likely do it for Nack in a 3D title as well. So lets not drag this "Generic the Hedgehog with ten of his buddies" crap into this argument, because if anything they could've thrown in "Generic the hedgehog" for this game and not give a crap about harking back to the classics.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

About the whole 'continuity' thing; Sonic 4 is after S3&K but before Sonic Adventure, right? Who's to say Sonic 4 will be the only game wedged between those two games? We might see a Sonic 5 that takes place after Sonic 4 and before Sonic Adventure. Sega could really just treat the Adventure series as a 'future' branch that has no binding on the numbered series (excepting the homing attack's presence of course, but then I think that's just making mountains out of molehills) besides the flashback references.

I think there's plenty of scope for Nack. I mean, he was in Triple Trouble and that ran alongside Sonic & Knuckles back in't day. He could be given something of a retro revival. And if any character was going to be the 'Knuckles in Sonic 3' (or the Nack in Triple Trouble) of Sonic 4, I'd rather it be either Metal Sonic or Nack to be honest. But you know, pure speculation that doesn't really matter at this point.

Thing is, Sega could bring any character they wanted to in this game if they so desired. They don't even need a reason; I mean, look at Shadow in Sonic Heroes (don't give me any of that 'storyline in Battle and ShadowTH' crap [which was blatantly improvised when fans started asking questions anyway], he was meant to be dead and Sonic Team shoehorned an impromptu revival out of him).

I have to admit that something some one said on this thread has caused me to have a new fear about this game. That fear would be that this ends up being Sonic Rush minus the Boost, which is not an appealing thought. It's not an appealing thought WITH the boost.

And I admit, the running animation is my only real gripe. He looks... really weird. They could have at least had his arms pointed back like in most of the 3D Sonics... might I point out that if you don't pause the game, the figure 8 feet in Super Smash Bros Brawl looks great. That may have been a better option, if not something similar with the wheel-o-feet.

I was thinking back to how this is getting me just as excited as New Super Mario Bros Wii did, but then I was thinking about my Wishlist for this game... not a whole lot comes to mind that isn't another way of saying "Just make it play like the classics", when I had many, many wishes for NSMBW. I guess there's not as many iconic things in Sonic classic as I remembered, except for things that go without saying.

OK I'll be honest, when I first heard read the Gamespot article I was a little unimpressed, but I don't know something has slowly built up inside me and now I'm excited. At first I thought the graphics looked iffy, but now I think they look beautiful. Weird, huh?

Also, the only other shot of gameplay we have is here:

datshine.png

I agree with you on Fang, Svend. I mean he was going to appear in Sonic Unleashed, but 'twas only a rumor.

Edited by Tailikku

About the whole 'continuity' thing; Sonic 4 is after S3&K but before Sonic Adventure, right? Who's to say Sonic 4 will be the only game wedged between those two games? We might see a Sonic 5 that takes place after Sonic 4 and before Sonic Adventure. Sega could really just treat the Adventure series as a 'future' branch that has no binding on the numbered series (excepting the homing attack's presence of course, but then I think that's just making mountains out of molehills) besides the flashback references.

That's not really any different from what I'm saying, except the Sonic 5 (which no one was talking about :P)

I think there's plenty of scope for Nack. I mean, he was in Triple Trouble and that ran alongside Sonic & Knuckles back in't day. He could be given something of a retro revival. And if any character was going to be the 'Knuckles in Sonic 3' (or the Nack in Triple Trouble) of Sonic 4, I'd rather it be either Metal Sonic or Nack to be honest. But you know, pure speculation that doesn't really matter at this point.

I think Metal Sonic has a better chance than Nack. He's actually referenced a lot more, although I'm not sure how that holds up for him.

Nack at this point has kind of taken the ways of the Chaotix pre-Heroes. I can't see him appearing in this game at all, since there isn't anything that has hinted his involvement. But if he does appear, then that makes me wonder why he isn't referenced at all in any of the modern games. I see a better chance of him appearing in a newer game than one such as this, as it would lessen any confusion over his disappearance in the games that are set afterwards.

Thing is, Sega could bring any character they wanted to in this game if they so desired. They don't even need a reason; I mean, look at Shadow in Sonic Heroes (don't give me any of that 'storyline in Battle and ShadowTH' crap [which was blatantly improvised when fans started asking questions anyway], he was meant to be dead and Sonic Team shoehorned an impromptu revival out of him).

Even if he was meant to be dead, it's silly to think that there was absolutely no way to bring him back if Sonic Team were to revive him. A simple falling out of the sky would've solved everything, and would've prevented his game from coming all while having a greater possibility of keeping a decent character. Things aren't always in one simple path. ;)

I'm coming back to these forums with an umbrella for several reasons, mostly to avoid getting messy when crap hits the fan.

First off, let me say that the new trailer and the plot for Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 has absolutely assured my faith in the Sonic series once again. I think it was pretty obvious what to expect out of this, but I'm very glad that we're at least getting a retro revival after all these years.

*holds hand out to check for falling pieces of poo*

None yet? Okay. I'm also still holding hope that we'll see a few more playable characters, but my expectations for Shadow are now dashed, and I'm a little disappointed because he could have been a good alternate character/skin for Sonic, and to draw in more fans. People like Shadow, and that's a fact. I'm okay with his exclusion, but I think it would've helped sales a little. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers, eh?

*steps out of safety for a little bit*

Let me also say that I'm not too upset about the usage of the homing attack or the use of new-generation-styled Sonic. I'm rather happy, as this means that his visual style is a complete retcon, and I won't have to try and figure out why he looks different in one game and different in another,

*folds umbrella*

And the first thing I thought of when I saw the screenshot, was, yes, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and it looks like it may actually have a serious competitor on its hands. This is essentially New Sonic the Hedgehog (Wii/360/PSN/PC/Whatever) and van be downloaded for a relatively cheap price online as long as it's advertised well. I'm also thrilled for the Wii release. Somehow I knew they would go for it. I'm actually chuckling and reflecting on how all the older members (including myself, actually) started picking on the ones hopeful for a Wii release "because it isn't possible."

Well ladies and gentlemen, "DON'T DOUBT. WHAT HE CAN DO. SONIC THE HEDGEHOG~."

Also, the new website is nicely designed. Much much better than Sonic Central. In fact... *checks the Sonic Central homepage* Yeah, it's still advertising Zero Gravity. *sigh* The countdown timers are a nice added touch. I'm hoping we can hear some music samples soon enough.

Fellow Sonic fans, I am one happy man right now. There are a lot of things going on in my life, but to know that there's a Sonic game out there that's made to whims of the older fans for once makes me smile a little. I like to think this kind of game was made possible only by the Sonic community's consistent efforts and long standing existence for SEGA to take notice. And now I get to see what happens after Sonic leaves Angel Island and saves Mobius from the clutches of Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

*hangs up umbrella*

Also, I dare not go to Retro right now. I don't know what's going on over there, but I'm pretty sure it's going to take more than an umbrella to protect me. :P

• Thumbs Up 3

Hrm...it may be a bit early to be saying this...but I'm not really feeling this one...

I mean, aside from the initial spurt of joy upon actually seeing something solid about the game, and seeing that it will be on the Wii...I just kind of feel empty.

Sonic looks slow, the animation's kind of crappy, it's yet another uninspired GHZ ripoff...is this it? Is this all "classic Sonic" is? Or all that they can do with it?

You know what this all reminds me of?

New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

And I really like the thought of that approach. And the graphical style of it too. Even though we've seen a screenshot and a three-second trailer. I like it.

I have to agree. I enjoyed NSMBW so...(For a fun fact, NSMBW is small enough to be DLC too, SEGA obviously didn't want to pay he cost for DVD's)

One thing I do wanna know is this. On the site there's a MYSTERY console. I'm curious as to what it'll be, given the DLC aspect of it I wanna say PC, but I get the feeling it'll end up being something silly like the DSi