Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Heyyyy let's reply to some old comments because my connection at work sucks giant balls and this thread is moving way too fast for my tired eyes.

Does it make mention of Sonic Adventure though? Couldn't the 2D and 3D games simply be in different continuities?

Both camps, those that hate this idea and those that love it, really have nothing to go from as far as connections to SA1. It's not stated whether or not this is being treated as a bridge or a new, fresh "reset" (whoop, I used that word again) for the Sonic Universe. A lot of things are not stated yet. Personally, PERSONALLY, I'm hoping that SEGA is pressing forward with these episodic installments without taking anything post-S3&K into account. I worry that would limit them rather than allow this to be the blue-sky step forward that it really should be. (Phantom Menace, anyone?) Characters could be reinvented, given greater purpose or function, and things could finally go from

THIS back to

I don't even say that from a nostalgiafag standpoint, just an overall simple vs. bizarre/ill-fitting standpoint.

Should this be a new start for the story, you could call it a "branching timeline" if you absolutely must connect the whole thing through a patchwork canonical chronology. It's not like the franchise hasn't ALREADY gone there and become entirely confusing.

There is some sidebar placeholder called "Broniks".

...I wish I could somehow take credit as a prophet by virtue of my username.

Also, chill on Takashi Iizuka. His 2D and 2.5D games were solid, his 3D games had good ideas but weren't implemented well. He's great at 2D, not so much at 3D. Thankfully this is a 2.5D game. The man was Game Designer on S3&K and NiD for cripes sake!

I'm totally fine with the guy running the show, so long as he doesn't get to dictate the story or write any of the character interactions, should this game have them.

...Hey wait a second did they pick today for the reveal because it's the 4th? Did somebody already say that?

::EDIT:: updated a link and fixed a typo. Man the forums are hurting today.

Edited by bro-botnik

Man the board is really dying today xD. SEGA you murderer!

Yeah, everyone joked that Gamespot would die due to all the traffic for the trailer. Turns out SSMB is the one who dies, and we had only about 100 people in the topic in the last few hours.

Yeah, 4 = 4th was mentioned a ways back. Clever Sega!

Ha, totally missed that. I guess it's not only the fact that my internet here sucks, but also the fact that this forum is literally screaming for mercy beneath an onslaught of post-reveal overpopulation.

Anyway. I am super stoked to see what E3 has to show off for this and what hands-on reactions are like.

Sorry for the burps and hiccups guys - I think you can all guess what the cause of that is ;) We're working constantly to make sure the site's working under the pressure, ok? Try not to quadruple-post too much! XD

o5te81.jpg

Spent a couple minutes on this one. Hope you all like it.

Love it. Nice use of the ASR Seaside Hill landscape.

And good to know it's on WiiWare. Looking forward to this.

You know, it's weird. Loads of people complained that they wanted to see the same sort of style and environments as they're seeing now in Sonic 4. Now that they're seeing them, they're complaining that it's just a rehash. You can't have it both ways - Emerald Hill Zone looked like Green Hill Zone as Angel Island Zone looked like Aquatic Ruins Zone as did Flying Battery Zone looked like Wing Fortress Zone.

Stop bloody complaining, lol, you're getting what you want! You can call 'rehash' all you want, but it's obvious you're turning a blind eye to to the fact that every numbered Sonic game followed the exact same formula. The exact same graphics style, the exact same environments but with different names. You can't just say "Sonic 3 was awesom--- ONOS SONIC 4 LOOKS LIEK SONIC 2!!!" Because Sonic 3 bloody well looks like Sonic 2.

And the bits of Sonic 3 that don't look like Sonic 2 are the base sprites and character images. Which Sonic 4 is also changing up in the same fashion, but "OMG it looks SO different nowz itz gonna suk ballz!"

Could you guys get any more contradictory?

(Note that this isn't towards anyone in particular, just venting; you guys know who you are and if you're offended by the above, well tough shit really.)

---

On a more serene note, as much as this game is for the old fans that want a new adventure, it's for those who fell out of favour with Sonic years ago. The general gaming populace. When Sonic's been "out of favour" for over ten years, it makes sense to retread some old ground. It's like re-introducing yourself to a long-lost friend. And again, you've seen three seconds of one small segment of one Act of one Zone. This does not mean, in any way, that every single level is a 'rehash' (lawl) of an older Sonic level.

I really wish some of you guys would not jump the gun so much. Cautious optimism is one thing, but let's not cast any stones until we cross any bridges, eh?

Yeah, but it doesn't take a genius to see that you clearly read my post. (Lmao.)

I'll give you that, man, I'll give you that I am jumping the gun a trifle quick, but if there are any profound similarities between the look and feel of the stages in Sonic 1/2/3, then they're scarce except for maybe general theme. Of course Wing Fortress and Flying Battery are of the same 'airship' theme but one exhibits entirely different obstacles, color scheme, and appearance than the other. Saying they're alike in every way but general theme is just wrong.

What I'm saying is that they could have made a starting level that doesn't have be so similar to past design. Jeez, why not make a diamond pattern on the walls instead of checkers? Hell, let's escape the tropical theme - make a coniferous forest ____ Hill zone! Instead of the Mobius-strip speed gimmick, why don't they show Sonic's speed by letting him run upside down or along the walls?

I dunno, dude, I can spout on all day about how I am worried about this game, but in the end I guess you're right that I shouldn't jump to conclusions. My hopes will probably go right up when I see the industrialized factory level since I love those. I just don't understand why they can't be more original when it's so fucking easy to be... at least for me, but then again I've always been part of the visionary sect of the fanbase.

Sonicheadblackeyes2.png

I took the light behind the head away and changed the eyes black for fun. It looks pretty cool, actually. I hope I don't start anymore eye complaining with this xO.

Can someone make it have an invisible background for me? When I tried doing it in GIFanimator, The colors got all messed up :-/

Thinking over my level of excitement now that I've seen some gameplay, I have to be honest and say I'd probably be more excited about the announcement of Sonic Rush 3(assuming it was being developed by Dimps) than I currently am with this game. I know the excitement exists, but I'm having trouble feeling it due to 2 nagging issues.

One is I still have doubts that Sonic Team of today can pull off a 2D game worthy of standing alongside the classic trilogy. Their recent games haven't filled me with confidence. And the fact that it's been revealed that the homing attack will be in the game scares me that they still don't understand what made the old games so good. Sonic coming out of the spin dash at the initial start of the footage does have me hopeful. I'll need to see more levels and gameplay before I can cast aside my doubts.

Second is we're still getting beaten with the nostalgia stick here. The title and reused badniks both just seem like devices to trick gamers into thinking that this will be a good game. Worked pretty damn well 2 weeks ago when everyone whet ape crazy over concept art of the tiny enemy crab. My issues with the title also stems with the previous issue in that I don't want the "perfect" trilogy to be ruined but some "4th" installment that is in no way the same quality, kinda like the Alien movies. Thus far the only thing this game has going on it is nostalgia and that's not going to cut it for a lot of people. Capcom's made a killing with its "nostalgia trips," particularly Megaman 9 and Bionic Commando Rearmed, both download only titles. Both games are fantastic, and Megaman 9 being developed by Inticreates didn't fill me with as much dread as they actually did a good job with the Megaman Zero and ZX series. Nothing wrong with nostalgia, just as long as you have the gameplay to back it up.

So at this point I'm "hopeful" but still expecting the worst unless new footage can change my mind in the coming months.

Edited by Yong

Sonicheadblackeyes2.png

I took the light behind the head away and changed the eyes black for fun. It looks pretty cool, actually. I hope I don't start anymore eye complaining with this xO.

Can someone make it have an invisible background for me? When I tried doing it in GIFanimator, The colors got all messed up :-/

No prob

sonichead.gif

.gif formet

sonichead2.png

.png format (used the blur tool around the edge so it wouldn't look so pixelated.)

Hope ya like :)

Edited by GameboyHero

Try not to quadruple-post too much! XD

quadruple-post too much! XD

quadruple-post

quad

Quad = 4, Sonic 4! I see what you did there, and laughed hard. XD

-Iceman

I now have a thoughts column to offer:Every reasonable Sonic fan knows that this is not nearly the first time Sega has listened to the fans in an effort to appease them. Up to this point, Sonic Unleashed came very close with its side-scrolling, which (it must be granted) was received remarkably well. Ideas such as "make a whole game like this," "bring back the classic gameplay," and "quit with the glut of characters" are now heeded to the letter...for better or worse.It must be noted at this time that the fans are not the sole target audience of Sonic games (although the goal is to create additional fans in the process). At this point, relatively few in the world have not heard of Sonic, and mileage varies depending on which view they hear (the divided fanbase not helping matters at all). Sega once again makes a legitimate effort to have something with not only fan appeal, but mass appeal. Sonic 4 could be considered the penultimate effort to this end in the process that began when Sonic first appeared on non-Sega consoles.Things are looking mighty promising and exciting. However, I for one am disappointed that Sega has once again been backed into a corner by the fans, and things may have gone too far again. I know I am not alone in my disappointment that Sonic is the sole hero in appearance. More to the point, if that turns out to be totally true, I will have difficulty forgiving it: what sort of sequel to the classic Sonic games would lack even Sonic's eternal buddy Tails? It is early, and the storyline may put light on it, but if that is the case, they had better do a good job.Is this the revival many of us have been waiting for (keep in mind that there are plenty of fans who are satisfied with how the series has been going anyway, Sonic 2006 being either forgiven and/or forgotten, and the other "disappointing" titles proving more than fun enough if one is willing to have a good time playing them)? Considering the circumstances, I am going to have to conclude (for now, since it is early) that this is not. This is blatant catering to the fan complaints, which has already happened so many times that I have lost count. I still believe in Sonic Team, that they can be innovative and original and spark a revival in the likes of Sonic Adventure.You all know that I would be the last person to complain about a Sonic game unless I felt the complaint had a good deal of merit (for crying out loud, I gave a favorable review of Sonic 2006, and I think Shadow the Hedgehog is absolutely great, Sonic Heroes right up there with it). This time, however, I fear that Sega may have gone too far, and thus am sensing a lack of the innovation that has made every Sonic title (particularly since the 3D transition) a unique one.Still, in the end, whether or not it satisfies me is irrelevant. Most of the more casual gamers only care about good gameplay and atmosphere, and at this point Sonic 4 appears ready to deliver. I hope it is thoroughly enjoyable to play, is very successful as such, and in the process, creates more Sonic fans.

Lurker in, quoting for truth.

D: I feel awful for SEGA. No matter what they do the fanbase is going to complain. If I'm not mistaken I've already seen a argument over eye color... really guys? EYE COLOR?! OTL WTF?!

I've been happy with all the games... Sonic 06 included, loopholes and all.. I enjoy being able to play as someone other than Sonic, not having to do the same thing in every level. I'm excited for this game as well (Those few seconds took my breath away!), but I think the people that are bwahing aren't the people that really care about the growth of the series... they're just gamers trying to live in the past and that's not going to help SEGA in the long run.

OH NOES GREEN EYES I HATE THIS FUCKING GAME

Whoop-de-damn-do.

6. Green Eyes- ... AAPOSKAKODPDKOAPKDDPDKPOAK.... *facepalm.* ... *Facepalm.* ... *FACEPALM!*

facepalm.png

See? This is the exact shit I was talking about! You 're not actually arguing, you're just trying to make it sound like anyone who doesn't share your view on the subject is retarded for not doing so. I'm sick and tired of this shit.

I can't believe how dense people are being about the homing attack. Seriously guys?

The Sonic Advance games (or at least 2 onwards), Rush games and Rivals game all had the homing attack in.

You know what happened? You hardly ever use it.

You know what happens if you do? It makes enemies a little easier to hit.

The homing attack is going to be completely optional the entire way through the game, and it's greatest purpose will be an aid for younger players who are not used to the increased precision required to destroy enemies in the older games.

Man, it honestly makes me sad for half the people here that you are so pessimistic. Can we split the topic so us happy people can celebrate without being dragged down?

This game is presumably directed by Iizuka, meaning we'll be using it to cross gaps by attack strings of enemies. But thanks for calling me dense, that was really tactful.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 3

As mentioned before I wouldn't expect sonic to remain the only playable character forever. After all wasn't it mentioned in the leak that tails might be playable in episode 2, or was that just speculation? Either way it is still up in the air, and I am sure sega would deliver.

At this point we can say the whole game is completable as just sonic. Isn't that all those "sonic only omg" people ever want? I honestly would love to see a full cast of optional dlc characters ranging from knuckles to big the cat.

Edited by Bubonic Bunny

I can't believe how dense people are being about the homing attack. Seriously guys?

The Sonic Advance games (or at least 2 onwards), Rush games and Rivals game all had the homing attack in.

You know what happened? You hardly ever use it.

You know what happens if you do? It makes enemies a little easier to hit.

The homing attack is going to be completely optional the entire way through the game, and it's greatest purpose will be an aid for younger players who are not used to the increased precision required to destroy enemies in the older games.

Man, it honestly makes me sad for half the people here that you are so pessimistic. Can we split the topic so us happy people can celebrate without being dragged down?

I mentioned that the Homing Attack has me a little worried, but I'm not distraught about it. The thing about the Homing Attack is that it was a lame function to add to the 2D series for a few reasons. For one, I've never had trouble hitting my mark in the 2D games. Second, and I think this is more important, they could've added the Insta-shield in its place. There's something satisfying about hitting one of those silvery Orbinauts from Launch Base with a well-timed Insta-shield, catching an enemy that was seemingly out of reach with the extended area of attack damage, or narrowly dodging death with the ability. I think the Insta-shield is a highly underrated ability, and the Homing Attack has been a pretty big failure.

I'd like to see how you KNOW that the Homing Attack will be a completely optional thing. Do you KNOW that there won't be any bottomless pits with a trail of Badniks to zip across on? Do you KNOW exactly how the Homing Attack will work in the game? If it propels you forward even when you're not locked onto a Badnik, then I daresay that the Homing Attack will be a HUGE element of the gameplay. And unlike the picture you've painted, my experience with the Homing Attack in 2D has been quite extensive. I'd like to see you make it through Sonic Rivals with using the attack.

Overall, I'm VERY excited about this game, and can't wait to get my hands on it! I think that purely cosmetic things are pretty silly to get really upset over, but actual game mechanics are quite a bit more important.

well...isn't this interesting? so it's officially been named sonic the hedgehog 4......and it's only for download? now I understand why they were making another 2d game.....honestly...i'm not impressed...and a big part of that disappointment is probably because it's not a full game........as far as i'm concerned...this just looks like a better looking version of sonic rush.....but that's probably being generous....they probably removed the trick system that made sonic rush so great.....oh well....here's to hoping the next GOOD 3d game comes out very soon.

Seriously? You've seen 3 seconds of gameplay, and you've already given up hope on this game? .-.;

If you're just being ironic, then forgive me.

About the announcement, really nice. It wasn't that surprising seeing as it had been leaked before, but still cool. My only complaint is, like most people, the running animation, but I'm hopeful that they'll fix that. I also don't mind the inclusion of the Homing Attack, like some people said it follows the trend of the old games, what with the inclusion of a new move in each game.

Also, WiiWare release?

*PHEW*

And omg people, grow up. Raging over eye color? Raging over Eggman instead of Robotnik?

I mean, I can still somewhat understand the aforementioned fear of this being Sonic Rush without boost, but come on.

Edited by NastCF
  • Thumbs Up 3

I noticed eye colour is a major thing it seems... then again people were complaining the other day that Ryo's hair was too long on the ASR forklift model when the render had come from the actual Shenmue team. :S

R.e. running, I will say that as part of my feedback to the S4 team before all this came out I did use the words "Figure 8?" Whether or not Sonic will we'll have to wait and see, but I did say it - honest!

• Thumbs Up 1

See? This is the exact shit I was talking about! You 're not actually arguing, you're just trying to make it sound like anyone who doesn't share your view on the subject is retarded for not doing so. I'm sick and tired of this shit.
If you're throwing a fit over a character's eye color, it doesn't matter which color you prefer, it's still stupid.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not convinced that the corkscrew bridge and the loop suggest Rush style gameplay. There were bridges and loops that looked like that in the first two Zones of Sonic 2.

Also, Sonic is using the spindash to launch into the bridge. Spindashing usually slowed you down in the Rush games.

Good GOD almighty, it's like the game from my dreams! I've been on about a game like this for years and years and it's finally being made! This game is pushing my buttons like no other. The fact that is an episodic downloadable title is utter genius by SEGA. I just hope when all the episodes make it out you can play them all the way through like Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I've a feeling new episodes will have the option of other playable characters; Tails in Episode 2 and Knuckles in Episode 3. Then hopefully you can play previous episodes with the new characters to find secret areas!

The game looks the business, better than New Super Mario Bros Wii if you ask me. The running animation... I fail to see the problem! From the clip in game is looks like it should. The bit outside the game looks awful but then again all the running animations out of the game in the trailer suck. What the hell did they use for Sonic 1? Green eyes are fine with me and the Unleashed model is the best I've seen Sonic look in 3D so it's all good.

Other than that I'm besotted with all the other "Sonic" things in the trailer. Corkscrews, proper loops, the sign with Sonic & Eggman, old badniks, the possibility of special zones, 16-bit sounding music... all of these things are classic Sonic that we've not seen in years. Mario kept all of his classic tropes but since going 3D Sonic shead all his and its lovely to see them back.

THANK YOU SEGA, YOU LOVELY BASTARDS!

• Thumbs Up 2

Thinking over my level of excitement now that I've seen some gameplay, I have to be honest and say I'd probably be more excited about the announcement of Sonic Rush 3(assuming it was being developed by Dimps) than I currently am with this game. I know the excitement exists, but I'm having trouble feeling it due to 2 nagging issues.

One is I still have doubts that Sonic Team of today can pull off a 2D game worthy of standing alongside the classic trilogy. Their recent games haven't filled me with confidence. And the fact that it's been revealed that the homing attack will be in the game scares me that they still don't understand what made the old games so good. Sonic coming out of the spin dash at the initial start of the footage does have me hopeful. I'll need to see more levels and gameplay before I can cast aside my doubts.

Second is we're still getting beaten with the nostalgia stick here. The title and reused badniks both just seem like devices to trick gamers into thinking that this will be a good game. Worked pretty damn well 2 weeks ago when everyone whet ape crazy over concept art of the tiny enemy crab. My issues with the title also stems with the previous issue in that I don't want the "perfect" trilogy to be ruined but some "4th" installment that is in no way the same quality, kinda like the Alien movies. Thus far the only thing this game has going on it is nostalgia and that's not going to cut it for a lot of people. Capcom's made a killing with its "nostalgia trips," particularly Megaman 9 and Bionic Commando Rearmed, both download only titles. Both games are fantastic, and Megaman 9 being developed by Inticreates didn't fill me with as much dread as they actually did a good job with the Megaman Zero and ZX series. Nothing wrong with nostalgia, just as long as you have the gameplay to back it up.

So at this point I'm "hopeful" but still expecting the worst unless new footage can change my mind in the coming months.

I never understood either the hype for Rush or for Dimps (or for Advance for that matter). They're good, solid, but there's something(s) missing.

• Thumbs Up 1