Aquaslash

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

You know, it's weird. Loads of people complained that they wanted to see the same sort of style and environments as they're seeing now in Sonic 4. Now that they're seeing them, they're complaining that it's just a rehash. You can't have it both ways - Emerald Hill Zone looked like Green Hill Zone as Angel Island Zone looked like Aquatic Ruins Zone as did Flying Battery Zone looked like Wing Fortress Zone.

Stop bloody complaining, lol, you're getting what you want! You can call 'rehash' all you want, but it's obvious you're turning a blind eye to to the fact that every numbered Sonic game followed the exact same formula. The exact same graphics style, the exact same environments but with different names. You can't just say "Sonic 3 was awesom--- ONOS SONIC 4 LOOKS LIEK SONIC 2!!!" Because Sonic 3 bloody well looks like Sonic 2.

And the bits of Sonic 3 that don't look like Sonic 2 are the base sprites and character images. Which Sonic 4 is also changing up in the same fashion, but "OMG it looks SO different nowz itz gonna suk ballz!"

Could you guys get any more contradictory?

(Note that this isn't towards anyone in particular, just venting; you guys know who you are and if you're offended by the above, well tough shit really.)

---

On a more serene note, as much as this game is for the old fans that want a new adventure, it's for those who fell out of favour with Sonic years ago. The general gaming populace. When Sonic's been "out of favour" for over ten years, it makes sense to retread some old ground. It's like re-introducing yourself to a long-lost friend. And again, you've seen three seconds of one small segment of one Act of one Zone. This does not mean, in any way, that every single level is a 'rehash' (lawl) of an older Sonic level.

I really wish some of you guys would not jump the gun so much. Cautious optimism is one thing, but let's not cast any stones until we cross any bridges, eh?

I officially declare today, This Thursday, 4th of Febuary, to be forever known by me as NEEDLEMOUSE DAY.

NEEDLEMOUSEDAY.png

Use this as your avatar for the remainder of the day to show your fan support and anticipation for the coming of Sonic 4! (Props to bid Dread for cropping the original picture, I just made it look more forum friendly.)

-Iceman

Can't we just put it in our sigs?

I'm not trying to start a TSSZ slanging match but Tristan thinks SEGA might be messing about with us with that open website kit from earlier on and thinks we've been hysterical with our courage :huh:

You may guessed by now that we’re taking a bit of a different approach to today’s announcement. We are aware of some of the leaked information, but we’ll have a story on how some of it may be a hoax of Sega’s own doing soon. And as promised, our story checking the pulse of the community after the announcement is on its way. So keep checking back to TSSZ News for all the hype, without all the hysterics.

Wonder what he's got cooking? Again, I'm not trying to start a slanging match with TSSZ I'm just curious as to what he's talking about.

http://www.tssznews.com/2010/02/04/three-sonic-4-screenshots/

Heh, to be honest, after seeing this information I'm actually liking it BETTER than what we've seen before. Because before it kept looking like it might be like Megaman 9/10, where they even rehashed the old crappy graphics and music, as well. However, if this game actually has more modern graphics and music, I really like that. And it's still the modern-day design for Sonic, as well (which I prefer), all the while it has the classic themes intact.

Essentially its like New Super Mario Bros. Enhanced graphics with the modern appearance, but classic themes and gameplay. Something I do not mind at all.

As for Characters... since its post-StH3, I think we'll be seeing the classic trio and Eggman. More are possible, but I doubt we'll see them. Knuckles... well, I'll hold on Knuckles. I don't think he'll appear unless either A.) Eggman steals the Master Emerald, or B.) we have one other character (the only logical suggestions being either Fang or Rouge; Rouge being pretty much the only post-classic character who could possibly appear in a game chronologically before her debut) who winds up stealing the Master Emerald instead.

Otherwise, we've probably just got Sonic, Tails, and Eggman. Which I don't mind.

Oh, Homing Attack is in it? Yeah, but its not like you have to use it, or anything. And besides, it adds a little variety. If there's a chain of robots they can be homing attacked to get to a higher level that Sonic couldn't reach normally (which would be accessible by either Tails or Knuckles, whom aren't going to be playable), plus its just adding in a modern-day ability. No harm in that. If you don't use it, no problem.

Heh, a PC release would've been nice, since I don't have any current-gen consoles, but at least I plan on getting a Wii, so that will work as well.

I officially declare today, This Thursday, 4th of February, to be forever known by me as NEEDLEMOUSE DAY.

NEEDLEMOUSEDAY.png

Use this as your avatar or your signature for the remainder of the day to show your fan support and anticipation for the coming of Sonic 4! (Props to big Dread for cropping the original picture, I just made it look more forum friendly.)

-Iceman

Would if the red part of the hedgehog wasn't there.

I officially declare today, This Thursday, 4th of February, to be forever known by me as NEEDLEMOUSE DAY.

NEEDLEMOUSEDAY.png

Use this as your avatar or your signature for the remainder of the day to show your fan support and anticipation for the coming of Sonic 4! (Props to big Dread for cropping the original picture, I just made it look more forum friendly.)

-Iceman

Would if the red part of the hedgehog wasn't there.

Either works really! It's only till the end of the day officially anyways, so go nuts!

-Iceman

Ok, cool. I made this for use FOR-EV-ER!!:

ND.png

Lol, the numbers are Sonic 2 level Select and the Needlemouse day is Sonic Title Font :)

Anyway, Anyone else like this?:

Sonichead.png

I think it looks cool

Edited by MarcelloF

Yummy:

all4f.jpg

Looks quite nice.

I'm not trying to start a TSSZ slanging match but Tristan thinks SEGA might be messing about with us with that open press kit from earlier on and thinks we've been hysterical with our courage :huh:

Wonder what he's got cooking? Again, I'm not trying to start a slanging match with TSSZ I'm just curious as to what he's talking about.

http://www.tssznews.com/2010/02/04/three-sonic-4-screenshots/

Ignore Tristan. Not worth anyone's time.

404 for ten minutes. Sad panda. :<

Why aren't we talking about how shitty that dust looks? But I'm kind of impressed there's no dust while he's on the corkscrew. That must kick in only in dirt terrains. Impressed. That means they might have programmed physics for different kinds of terrains.

I win Redmenace, I got a triple post and in one of them my post was repeated over 10 tines xD..

Anyway I think the title screens look nice together. I'm guessing Sonic 4's title screen will be over an Island too, though..

Man the board is really dying today xD. SEGA you murderer!

Edited by MarcelloF

Heyyyy let's reply to some old comments because my connection at work sucks giant balls and this thread is moving way too fast for my tired eyes.

Does it make mention of Sonic Adventure though? Couldn't the 2D and 3D games simply be in different continuities?

Both camps, those that hate this idea and those that love it, really have nothing to go from as far as connections to SA1. It's not stated whether or not this is being treated as a bridge or a new, fresh "reset" (whoop, I used that word again) for the Sonic Universe. A lot of things are not stated yet. Personally, PERSONALLY, I'm hoping that SEGA is pressing forward with these episodic installments without taking anything post-S3&K into account. I worry that would limit them rather than allow this to be the blue-sky step forward that it really should be. (Phantom Menace, anyone?) Characters could be reinvented, given greater purpose or function, and things could finally go from

THIS back to

I don't even say that from a nostalgiafag standpoint, just an overall simple vs. bizarre/ill-fitting standpoint.

Should this be a new start for the story, you could call it a "branching timeline" if you absolutely must connect the whole thing through a patchwork canonical chronology. It's not like the franchise hasn't ALREADY gone there and become entirely confusing.

There is some sidebar placeholder called "Broniks".

...I wish I could somehow take credit as a prophet by virtue of my username.

Also, chill on Takashi Iizuka. His 2D and 2.5D games were solid, his 3D games had good ideas but weren't implemented well. He's great at 2D, not so much at 3D. Thankfully this is a 2.5D game. The man was Game Designer on S3&K and NiD for cripes sake!

I'm totally fine with the guy running the show, so long as he doesn't get to dictate the story or write any of the character interactions, should this game have them.

...Hey wait a second did they pick today for the reveal because it's the 4th? Did somebody already say that?

::EDIT:: updated a link and fixed a typo. Man the forums are hurting today.

Edited by bro-botnik

Man the board is really dying today xD. SEGA you murderer!

Yeah, everyone joked that Gamespot would die due to all the traffic for the trailer. Turns out SSMB is the one who dies, and we had only about 100 people in the topic in the last few hours.

Yeah, 4 = 4th was mentioned a ways back. Clever Sega!

Ha, totally missed that. I guess it's not only the fact that my internet here sucks, but also the fact that this forum is literally screaming for mercy beneath an onslaught of post-reveal overpopulation.

Anyway. I am super stoked to see what E3 has to show off for this and what hands-on reactions are like.

Sorry for the burps and hiccups guys - I think you can all guess what the cause of that is ;) We're working constantly to make sure the site's working under the pressure, ok? Try not to quadruple-post too much! XD

o5te81.jpg

Spent a couple minutes on this one. Hope you all like it.

Love it. Nice use of the ASR Seaside Hill landscape.

And good to know it's on WiiWare. Looking forward to this.

You know, it's weird. Loads of people complained that they wanted to see the same sort of style and environments as they're seeing now in Sonic 4. Now that they're seeing them, they're complaining that it's just a rehash. You can't have it both ways - Emerald Hill Zone looked like Green Hill Zone as Angel Island Zone looked like Aquatic Ruins Zone as did Flying Battery Zone looked like Wing Fortress Zone.

Stop bloody complaining, lol, you're getting what you want! You can call 'rehash' all you want, but it's obvious you're turning a blind eye to to the fact that every numbered Sonic game followed the exact same formula. The exact same graphics style, the exact same environments but with different names. You can't just say "Sonic 3 was awesom--- ONOS SONIC 4 LOOKS LIEK SONIC 2!!!" Because Sonic 3 bloody well looks like Sonic 2.

And the bits of Sonic 3 that don't look like Sonic 2 are the base sprites and character images. Which Sonic 4 is also changing up in the same fashion, but "OMG it looks SO different nowz itz gonna suk ballz!"

Could you guys get any more contradictory?

(Note that this isn't towards anyone in particular, just venting; you guys know who you are and if you're offended by the above, well tough shit really.)

---

On a more serene note, as much as this game is for the old fans that want a new adventure, it's for those who fell out of favour with Sonic years ago. The general gaming populace. When Sonic's been "out of favour" for over ten years, it makes sense to retread some old ground. It's like re-introducing yourself to a long-lost friend. And again, you've seen three seconds of one small segment of one Act of one Zone. This does not mean, in any way, that every single level is a 'rehash' (lawl) of an older Sonic level.

I really wish some of you guys would not jump the gun so much. Cautious optimism is one thing, but let's not cast any stones until we cross any bridges, eh?

Yeah, but it doesn't take a genius to see that you clearly read my post. (Lmao.)

I'll give you that, man, I'll give you that I am jumping the gun a trifle quick, but if there are any profound similarities between the look and feel of the stages in Sonic 1/2/3, then they're scarce except for maybe general theme. Of course Wing Fortress and Flying Battery are of the same 'airship' theme but one exhibits entirely different obstacles, color scheme, and appearance than the other. Saying they're alike in every way but general theme is just wrong.

What I'm saying is that they could have made a starting level that doesn't have be so similar to past design. Jeez, why not make a diamond pattern on the walls instead of checkers? Hell, let's escape the tropical theme - make a coniferous forest ____ Hill zone! Instead of the Mobius-strip speed gimmick, why don't they show Sonic's speed by letting him run upside down or along the walls?

I dunno, dude, I can spout on all day about how I am worried about this game, but in the end I guess you're right that I shouldn't jump to conclusions. My hopes will probably go right up when I see the industrialized factory level since I love those. I just don't understand why they can't be more original when it's so fucking easy to be... at least for me, but then again I've always been part of the visionary sect of the fanbase.

Sonicheadblackeyes2.png

I took the light behind the head away and changed the eyes black for fun. It looks pretty cool, actually. I hope I don't start anymore eye complaining with this xO.

Can someone make it have an invisible background for me? When I tried doing it in GIFanimator, The colors got all messed up :-/

Thinking over my level of excitement now that I've seen some gameplay, I have to be honest and say I'd probably be more excited about the announcement of Sonic Rush 3(assuming it was being developed by Dimps) than I currently am with this game. I know the excitement exists, but I'm having trouble feeling it due to 2 nagging issues.

One is I still have doubts that Sonic Team of today can pull off a 2D game worthy of standing alongside the classic trilogy. Their recent games haven't filled me with confidence. And the fact that it's been revealed that the homing attack will be in the game scares me that they still don't understand what made the old games so good. Sonic coming out of the spin dash at the initial start of the footage does have me hopeful. I'll need to see more levels and gameplay before I can cast aside my doubts.

Second is we're still getting beaten with the nostalgia stick here. The title and reused badniks both just seem like devices to trick gamers into thinking that this will be a good game. Worked pretty damn well 2 weeks ago when everyone whet ape crazy over concept art of the tiny enemy crab. My issues with the title also stems with the previous issue in that I don't want the "perfect" trilogy to be ruined but some "4th" installment that is in no way the same quality, kinda like the Alien movies. Thus far the only thing this game has going on it is nostalgia and that's not going to cut it for a lot of people. Capcom's made a killing with its "nostalgia trips," particularly Megaman 9 and Bionic Commando Rearmed, both download only titles. Both games are fantastic, and Megaman 9 being developed by Inticreates didn't fill me with as much dread as they actually did a good job with the Megaman Zero and ZX series. Nothing wrong with nostalgia, just as long as you have the gameplay to back it up.

So at this point I'm "hopeful" but still expecting the worst unless new footage can change my mind in the coming months.

Edited by Yong

Sonicheadblackeyes2.png

I took the light behind the head away and changed the eyes black for fun. It looks pretty cool, actually. I hope I don't start anymore eye complaining with this xO.

Can someone make it have an invisible background for me? When I tried doing it in GIFanimator, The colors got all messed up :-/

No prob

sonichead.gif

.gif formet

sonichead2.png

.png format (used the blur tool around the edge so it wouldn't look so pixelated.)

Hope ya like :)

Edited by GameboyHero