Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Homing Attack? Where do you see that?

It was on SEGA's press release statement. It's kind of redundant having it, but when I was a kid I had trouble jumping on enemies in Super Mario World, so maybe it's just a way to make it easier on the kids who grew up with guns and cars and all that in video games.

Actually Sonic himself did if that counts.

Sonic: Don't tell me Eggman tricked you AGAIN?

Knuckles: Me? What about you?

Sonic: Way to go, Knucklehead!

Oh yeah thats right!!

And the blue blur strikes again as he was to fast for me to notice that.

@vgmaster: Umm why would sega bring back the 1990's fat ugly Sonic? Also they said the game would be in HD, that usually means 3d most of the time. I for one am relieved that this game looks nothing like a game from 20 years ago.

Would you rather have seen this in the new game over what we have now?

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8668/8wrkth4.jpg

Edited by vgmaster

@vgmaster: Umm why would sega bring back the 1990's fat ugly Sonic? Also they said the game would be in HD, that usually means 3d most of the time. I for one am relieved that this game looks nothing like a game from 20 years ago.

He was fatter, but he was cuter too..

sonic3082107.jpg

If not so fatter, it would be perfect by today's standards. Not the arseface or that terrible Europe 3 boxart though, That was terrible.

And this artwork from the manuals was even less fatter and even more cuter.

v3hflw.gif

That model has a lot of thibngs wwrong if you keep looking at it for awhile. Terrible legs, terrible quills. His expression looks bland and has no personality. He looks softer too. Like a younger Sonic, not a better one.

Edited by redmenace

Because as we all know, the tint of Sonic's irises are going to ruin the entire experience. The green eyes were the reason Sonic 2006 failed, guys. The green eyes are the reason no one liked Unleashed. You can blame the green eyes for everything! Oh man SEGA, you've ruined it for us all! I've lost faith in SEGA because of the green eye-

Let's be honest though, basing a dislike of AN ENTIRE GAME based on A CHARACTER'S EYES isn't exactly the most intelligent act in the world.

Do you seriously think that's what I'm saying? All I'm saying is that the black eyes are better than the green eyes. You are the ones who are putting words into my mouth, accusing me of saying that that's enough to ruin the game on it's own. It isn't. It is, however, enough to affect one's enjoyment of it. For me, it would be enough to make me want to buy it just so I could see him officially looking right again.

Now, here's where the problem with your argument comes from: To me, making his eyes black would improve my enjoyment of Sonic games. Whenever I voice this belief, what do I get in response? An endless cavalcade of people telling me how stupid that is.

I find it very funny that you are thus far disappointed with this game for inserting new elements while Nuclear is arguing about the exact opposite. I find it even funnier that the girl who flips her lid over feral hedgehogs with pliable arms is more excited about this some of the folks who publically trashed Sega for years for not making it.

This is not the game the person you are referring to was presumably talking about. Look around, who doesn't like the way this is looking so far? Older fans. Who would you expect to like this game? Older fans. Obviously, this game is not what it claims to be. I have more. This picture was put together by Sonicandtails, over at Sonic Retro:

FinalNoFix.jpg

Edit: bahh, when did that image get so big?

On the very left, you can see that Sonic has run straight up a wall at near full speed, and has gone around an exterior quarter pipe. Then he went into a corckscrew, and is then approaching a loop. That's a speed gimmick into a speed gimmick into a speed gimmick. That isn't Yasuhara (AKA, what we want) style. That's barely even Rivals style. For all intents and purposes, this game appears to be Sonic Rush, only with less features, and slowed down just because they think that will make classic fans like the game more. But they included the homing attack, so it won't actually matter. I'm one of the biggest haters of the homing attack around, and I still spam the crap out of it while playing Sonic Rivals 2, a game that this game seems to bear a great resemblance to. Why? Because it takes so long to get anywhere otherwise.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 6

I'm rather excited about this, if only because it will answer the big what-if in every sonic fan's heart. Although, I dunno if Sonic Team noticed that every fangame that named itself Sonic 4 was doomed from the moment it took on that accursed name... the haunting of the spirits of Genesis past will bring it to an untimely demise just as it has with every single one of these fangames.

In all seriousness, its looking hopeful for now, although I'm looking forward to hearing more actual information. After seeing some of the comments since the trailer, I'm convinced that we need one last contest. The user who finds the most hilarious complaints in each category wins a free copy of Sonic 4 to bash. Because, folks... its not about the games, its about driving our hate into new fans until failure is the only option! :P

EDIT: How ironic I'd change my signature just before I saw the comment on it. Here's a LINK so the post later on doesn't seem totally out of context. XD

Edited by JEV3

Okay, so I was thinking about how this game has Modern!Sonic with some hints of Classic!Sonic in it, and the way I see it, it's more of the classic design growing up to become the modern design, which then leads into how he looks in Sonic Adventure. Like how it's the canonical first appearance of Modern!Eggman, it's also the new canonical first appearance of Modern!Sonic. They didn't change his design, he just got older.

Edited by LimeTH

Also, did anyone notice Sonic's running animation in trailer looks like his walking animation in rush?

Mind. Blown.

-Iceman

Not really, but I must say that this one looks helluva lot better than the one that was posted a while back ago with the oversized body. I could go either way, really.

Now the Wii and the PS3 versions are said to include motion controls. I wonder how would that work exactly? The thing the two have in common is tilt control so I suspect it'll be either for tilting special platforms(ala NSMB Wii) or for special stages.

@JEV3

I noticed your Braid signature. Last night I had a dream (before seeing the trailer) and in the dream I was playing Sonic 4, only it was Braid starring Shadow. LOL

Sad music and Shadow climbing ladders talking about Maria.

Then I woke up at 3:15 EST and watched the real trailer. :lol:

Edited by Doctor Eggman

Okay, so I was thinking about how this game has Modern!Sonic with some hints of Classic!Sonic in it, and the way I see it, it's more of the classic design growing upto become the modern design, which then leads into how he looks in Sonic Adventure. Like how it's the canonical first appearance of Modern!Eggman, it's also the new canonical first appearance of Modern!Sonic. They didn't change his design, he just got older.

Your thoughts are just as good as mine at this point, but I like to think Sonic has never aged (substantially) and has always been the cool teenager we know and love.

However, I'd love the game to explain where Sonic went after his adventures with Tails and Knuckles... how he ended up going off on his own, and arriving on the mainly human-inhabited continents.

On the very left, you can see that Sonic has run straight up a wall at near full speed, and has gone around an exterior quarter pipe. Then he went into a corckscrew, and is then approaching a loop. That's a speed gimmick into a speed gimmick into a speed gimmick. That isn't Yasuhara (AKA, what we want) style. That's barely even Rivals style. For all intents and purposes, this game appears to be Sonic Rush, only with less features, and slowed down just because they think that will make classic fans like the game more. But they included the homing attack, so it won't actually matter. I'm one of the biggest haters of the homing attack around, and I still spam the crap out of it while playing Sonic Rivals 2, a game that this game seems to bear a great resemblance to. Why? Because it takes so long to get anywhere otherwise.

And look at the bottom of the corckskrew, there's a gap, it MUST be a bottomless pit! This game appears to be Heroes but in 2D and no partners! FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

And OH NOES! 3 SPEED GIMMICKS IN A ROW!!!! THIS IS MADNESS!

Oh and:

OH-NOES.png?t=1265319642

THAT'S 4 SPEED GIMMICKS!!!! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!!!!!

SONIC 2 IS SECRETLY SONIC RUSH!!!!!! *mega-gasp* *faints*

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 5

Now, here's where the problem with your argument comes from: To me, making his eyes black would improve my enjoyment of Sonic games. Whenever I voice this belief, what do I get in response? An endless cavalcade of people telling me how stupid that is.

Black eyes are not inherently a bad thing, no. But saying something looks better because you as an individual think it's better without giving a single thought to others is quite frankly whats making us not care. Seriously Phos, we don't care anymore. We get it. Homing attack bad for you. Green eyes bad for you.

And it honestly isn't a big deal to begin with. It really isn't. You're making a fuss over a small pinpoint on Sonic's model that you're not going to be paying attention to when you play anyway.

As for that "well educated" guess about how Sonic's going through speed gimmick through speed gimmick yadda yadda yadda...

You haven't seen more than 3 seconds of the darn thing. No one has. You're judging the mechanics and level design of a game that you've seen 3 seconds of.

Take it in.

How do you feel Phos?

Do you feel smart?

Accomplished?

I think you look silly. I can't tell you to get over it, but no matter what you say or do, no matter what you throw at SEGA for making the game slightly different from what you want, you'll always remind me of the phrase "beggars can't be choosers."

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Do we know if there might be some sort of 2 player online race mode for consoles? The 2 player bits in Sonic 2 & 3 work on XBLA online so why not have something like that in this?

Sonic 2 XBLA's online didn't work at launch and to this very day still doesn't work, Tails doesn't respond to button presses until 2 seconds later making him pretty unplayable. Would be pretty cool though if this game had 2 player online races as long as everything works :P

I am personally surprised that anyone is surprised that people are complaining. I don't think it's possible for Sega to produce a Sonic game today that doesn't divide the Sonic fandom and lead to lots of bitching and arguing, like we're seeing right here.

Personally, however, from what limited footage we've seen, I've got nothing bad to say about the visuals or aesthetics. But I could say the same about previous Sonic games that were terrible, so that's not saying much. The real test will be in the playing... assuming I play it at all, mind you. My 360 is not connected to the internet, so if it's not possible to download it via my PC and burn it onto a CD (as with software updates for the 360), chances are I won't get to play it.

Note that Sonic is running, it MUST be Shadow the Hedgehog's Westopolis but without Shadow.

Note the ring counter, it HAS TO be Chaotix!

• Thumbs Up 2

Except if you look at the trailer you'll see that Sonic was curled up into a ball when he went up that hill, not running.

For all we know he could've rolled down another hill to get up that one hill or he could've use the spin dash.

And OH NOES! 3 SPEED GIMMICKS IN A ROW!!!! THIS IS MADNESS!

MADNESS?

THIS IS PROJECT NEEDLEMOUSE!!!

Sorry.. I had to do that.

Anyway, still with special stages.. I hope for a in-game Super Saiya--- err Sonic.

Note that Sonic is running, it MUST be Shadow the Hedgehog's Westopolis but without Shadow.

Note the ring counter, it HAS TO be Chaotix!

YOU FOOL!

It's OBVIOUSLY Sonic Advance 2! THIS GAME IS GOING TO HAVE THE BOOST FFFUUU-

• Thumbs Up 1