Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Referring to this image....

444bw.jpg

Hedgehog Engine. Unleashed had very impressive lighting effects which made the models look really good. The lighting in that Sonic 4 pic isn't so impressive.

As for the model arguments....

same.jpg

Does it really matter? The only GLARING difference is the Sonic on the right has his spikes in a mohawk. But both Sonics have spikes that are essentially the same length.

Well, then the question is, exactly why don't they use the Hedgehog Engine?

Why do people keep reading this into my posts? Even when I specifically say that isn't what I think!!

It's a mystery.

I said old fans, and by that I meant that the people who are not liking this game so far are old fans. I did not mean to imply that all old fans aren't liking it. I also made no mention of newer fans' views on the game, so it's rather bothersome that you imply that I did, and I also didn't make any derogatory comments towards anyone, simply request that they stop acting like my position is obviously indefensible, as I would prefer a reasonable rebuttal rather than what I've gotten so far, much of which amounts to textbook flaming.

Look, I'm not going to beat this thing over the head any more than I have to. You know I have your back most days Phos, but I just can't see your reasoning here. You can be disappointed about the eyes thing but I don't see how that makes a blind bit of difference to the enjoyment of the game. Regardless of whether I misinterpreted your posts or not, the very idea of being turned off by something that you won't even see 99% of your play time is in itself slightly weird. But you know, opinions - all shapes and sizes.

I do it in free play mode as well, it beats holding right for that long. That, and Sonic could barely get enough speed to make it up a concave quarter pipe otherwise.

Well yeah, it stands to reason that Sonic Rivals 2's level design amounts to nothing more than a straight line anyway. :P

Well, then the question is, exactly why don't they use the Hedgehog Engine?

I think they wanted to focus on making one version of this game that's playable on every system, instead of a different version for every system ala Unleashed. Remember, this is going on the iPhone and WiiWare as well, which are quite limited in resources, so to optimise profits they're probably just making one version of Sonic 4, with possibly some minor alterations for the iPhone, that looks more or less exactly the same on each console.

I can’t remember, has the homing attack been used in any of the 2D games like Rush up to press? I’ve got zero problem with it… the homing attack just doesn’t work in 3D as it’s way too easy to miss your target and fall into a pit of doom. Unleashed had the right idea by slowing it down but it still felt like you were taking your life in your hands using it. In 2D it should work fine but when you’ve got Sonic under better control in 2D why would you need to use it?

I'd say the Sonic 4 character model reminds me of the Smash Bros. Brawl model more than anything.

I think they wanted to focus on making one version of this game that's playable on every system, instead of a different version for every system ala Unleashed. Remember, this is going on the iPhone and WiiWare as well, which are quite limited in resources, so to optimise profits they're probably just making one version of Sonic 4, with possibly some minor alterations for the iPhone, that looks more or less exactly the same on each console.

Oh, true that. Completely forgot about the Wii and the Iphone.

I'd say the Sonic 4 character model reminds me of the Smash Bros. Brawl model more than anything.

I agree, it does remind me of brawl too, as Sonic was a bit shorter in it than usual, just like in Sonic 4.

-Iceman

I like how they're bringing it to the iPhone but if you have any of the three home consoles why the hell would you want to buy it on the iPhone? Sonic is basically unplayable on it.

I like how they're bringing it to the iPhone but if you have any of the three home consoles why the hell would you want to buy it on the iPhone? Sonic is basically unplayable on it.

This is true too. What are we gonna do, drag and drop sonic to the loop de loop? Tilt the screen to make him walk? Rub a boss to fight?

-Iceman

• Thumbs Up 1

This is probably me just talking, but I have a feeling that they're going to advertise this much more than other recent Sonic games and try to gear it more towards EVERYBODY instead of just gamers, as a way to make Sonic much more mainstream than he is currently, and one way to appeal to more people to to release the game on a multimedia device the common everyman has that isn't a game console.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree, it does remind me of brawl too, as Sonic was a bit shorter in it than usual, just like in Sonic 4.

-Iceman

Brawl model = Secret Rings/Black Knight model. Seriously, I've seen both models ripped and they're identical (almost- Brawl is lower-poly).

I wonder if we can expect a TV ad or something? Sonic running on a 2D plane is enough to get lots of 20-something year olds very excited about the game even if they haven’t played a Sonic game since the Mega Drive.

Have DLC-only games ever been given TV spots? (Genuine question as I have no idea!)

This is swell!!! New Sonic Fans will be schooled by the SEGA Curriculum. They started with SA2, then crap to back it up. Now, its Old School time and shows the basic/complex ways the 16 bit area used to run (pun intented).

PS: Oh BOY! This is the most active topic I have ever posted into. LOOK AT THE BOTTOM!!!

same.jpg

Does it really matter? The only GLARING difference is the Sonic on the right has his spikes in a mohawk. But both Sonics have spikes that are essentially the same length.

sonicfig.jpgsame.jpg

That figure is the classic one that has recently been released at GAME. The spikes are the same length as the model, but the legs are shorter. Maybe make his legs shorter and we'll all be happy.

As for the Hedgehog Engine, it seems like a waste if they don't use it again. It took 3 years to bloody make!

I wonder if we can expect a TV ad or something? Sonic running on a 2D plane is enough to get lots of 20-something year olds very excited about the game even if they haven’t played a Sonic game since the Mega Drive.

I dunno, I've never seen a TV ad for a DLC only/iphone game. Then again, I rarely watch television lately so I could be wrong.

A little tidbit I forgot to mention before: The first speed gimmick is a rising speed gimmick. The classics had sequential speed gimmicks and they had rising speed gimmicks, but seeing the two together was as rare as hen's teeth. I should have brought this up before, because you see it all the time. Why does this imply that this game's levels will be like Sonic Rush/Rivals? Simply because I find it unlikely that a level designer would use this very Rush-esque thought process here and not do it everywhere else, not to mention how rare convex quarter pipes were in the classics. To my knowledge, they appear in two levels: Stardust Speedway and Hidden Palace Zone (S2 beta version).

They're also atypical and unique to the classic series, which explains why they'd want to show it off.

But honestly, this reads as pigeonholing and obsessing over minor details to the point it approaches a kind of mental lockout. The same kind of thinking that makes everyone believe Mega Man is about pixel by pixel game play with Keiji Inafune will tell you it's a lot of things.

That, and one other part of your snap judgment has already been proven wrong. Sonic isn't running up the hill, he's spinning up it.

Have DLC-only games ever been given TV spots? (Genuine question as I have no idea!)

I don’t think so but with something like this SEGA should be prepared to put their full weight behind it.

It’s very forward thinking of them though. For a game like this being downloadable and episodic is perfect. Some companies are only just getting to grips with episodic games but the bonus is if they’re spaced out far enough apart from each other they could take feedback from the first episode and change the second accordingly.

It also means the first episode will be short enough to not out-stay its welcome and leave people wanting more. I like what they’re doing with this.

And it’s not unknown for companies to release a complete season of episodic games on a disk. See Rockstar and GTA 4 content for example, or the DLC for Fallout 3.

-Iceman

Brawl model = Secret Rings/Black Knight model. Seriously, I've seen both models ripped and they're identical (almost- Brawl is lower-poly).

Heh, it's probably a good thing that they're using the model that's shown up in most of Sonic's Wii Outings. Might help strengthen his familiarity/appeal to Nintendo players.

I swear these complaints about green eyes, walking/running animations and the game looking like Sonic Rush 3 are some of the dumbest things I've ever witnessed coming from fans.

• Thumbs Up 3

So, I JUST saw it, since being the lazy tired bastard I am, I couldn't stay up late enough to see it last night....

It's almost perfect :D ...for a short teaser with only about 10 seconds of gameplay.

The graphics are spot-on. It's almost the way I envisioned it: classic look with modern touches (post-Unleashed). It also looks cel-shaded, which gives it even more points in my book. It's the absolute best blend of new and classic that they could have made, and I honestly would not have wished for anything different.

I like the sound of the moveset. It's identical to the classics, but with the homing attack. Now I know people are gonna hate this, but think about it: with the momentum-based gameplay returning fully, the homing attack will be almost obsolete, and will (hopefully) feel like nothing but a way of getting extra combos with the jump attack. Besides, if the level design is truly classical, it won't dominate the game like it has since Sonic Adventure. I hope, however, that we don't get any more new moves, except MAYBE for a sliding attack while Sonic is running, or the light speed dash... but even that's pushing it. But more than anything.... please SEGA, give us a playable Super Sonic in the stages!!!

I also like the episodic take of the game. While many will complain that SEGA is only doing this to increase profits by forcing gamers to pay extra to unlock more of a game, I think of it differently:

1. It's a cool reference to Sonic and Knuckles, being that Sonic and Knuckles was, essentially, Sonic 3 Episode 2.

2. If SEGA does this, while Sonic fans would have to wait for multiple episodes to get the complete package, it'll force them to flesh out THIS Sonic game, rather than rush to make "Sonic 5" or something to capitalize on its success (and you know it'll sell like hot cakes.

Lastly... IT'S ON WII!!!!!! THANK FUCKING GOD... I can BUY IT!!!!!!! Props to SEGA for not restricting it to the HD-only consoles.

But if there is one thing I don't like... and it might shock you... it's the lack of other playable characters besides Sonic. It's been confirmed that Sonic will be the only playable character, but I would have loved to see Tails close behind him in the trailer. Knuckles would have been a nice touch, and maybe a fourth playable character (since Sonic Team released one new character per original Sonic title)... Sonic Team's got some serious priority issues when it comes to playable characters. In games where they serve absolutely no purpose, they're shoehorned in, but when it actually makes sense to use them, they don't. Wtf.

Overall, I'm more than hyped, this looks phenominal, and there's no WAY SEGA could...... well, I won't jynx it. :) More than anything thing though, I hope SEGA learns from this game, for the sake of future Sonic titles.

Viva La Needlemouse!

Edited by EXshad

Sorry to go off topic for a minute, but Sonic the Hedgehog is apparently trending on Yahoo's homepage!

Back to topic: I really hope all of this criticism isn't demoralizing to the development team...that would be awful..

Well, Poke'Mon Rumble did. For the U.S. at least. It's the only one to my knowledge.