Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

..wow. Wow. Just... wow. I... can't even. This is the biggest fucking bullshit excuse for a nitpick ever, I swear to God, this is beyond nitpicking, you're really just grasping the straws here. Black eyes make Sonic look like a nicer guy... really? That's going to be a large detriment to the overall quality of this game, his eye color? Sonic looking like a slightly nicer guy is really going to affect how you feel about this game? Jesus fucking Christ dude, I'm not here to criticise or mock you but.. wow, that's single-handedly the most ridiculously purist thing I have ever read. Ever.

I say my honest opinion, I get this in return. Then I get voted down for defending it. I also notice you seem to think I said something almost completely different from what I actually said.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm sorry Phos. I guess having an opinion is forbidden. Worse I get the feeling these lashing responses are just people trying to sound cool by separating themselves from people who liked Classic Sonic thus are the old foggie Retro-fags whom everyone must hate.

Would you guys break up with your girl because she has green eyes?

Actually a brown-eyed ex of mine started wearing these green contacts and it weirded me out. I told her her naturals were better, and she switched back.

On topic, I prefer the classic eyes and spines and smile. But I really don't care, because I won't let it ruin the game for me. But I understand how a look can make you feel different about a game. Advance and Heroes' visual style is hard for me to look at.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

No, I like the eye color!

av-1.png

av12q.png

The Black Empty Eyes Stare into your SOUL!!!

Well to be absolutely fair, there aren't any pupils in your pic either!

-I don't get why people are calling it a 2.5d game. Yes, it has 3D sprites and background, but the camera is always positoned in 2D. Sonic Rivals is a 2.5d game, there, the camera is positoned from diffrent angles, while you just could run one way, using one button.

-Yes he has green eyes. I have blue eyes, and some people have brown eyes...why complain?

-Yes, the animation looks a little stiff and wierd. I agree. It could still be VERRY fun to play the game. What do you want? Good running animation or a good game?

-"He is only running forward. There is no variation, just straight forward"....thats what i'm hearing....from someone who just saw a 3 second long gameplay video.

-"Theyr'e using the tall Sonic, i want short Sonic"...Be quiet! It's a blue hedgehog, wearing sneakers(WITH THE YELLOW BUCKLE STILL THERE!!!) running fast. When people se such a thing, they usually call it Sonic The Hedgehog. If he was not running fast and had red cheeks, it would have been the hedgehog from Animal Crossing. But it's not. THIS IS SPAR....Sonic.

My pont: It's a 2D Sonic-game, on a home console, named Sonic The Hedgehog 4...and people are complaining about everything and nothing. Just don't. Please.

Edited by Michael Myers
  • Thumbs Up 3

July 4th, 2010 comes on a Sunday. Wiiware usually updates every Monday in the US. Sonic has Red, White, and Blue for colors. The game is the 4th in the series. THE PLOT THICKENS!

-I don't get why people are calling it a 2.5d game. Yes, it has 3D sprites and background, but the camera is always positoned in 2D. Sonic Rivals is a 2.5d game, there, the camera is positoned from all diffrent angles.

-Yes he has green eyes. I have blue eyes, and some people have brown eyes...why complain?

-Yes, the animation looks a little stiff and wierd. I agree. It could still be VERRY fun to play the game. What do you want? Good running animation or a good game?

-"He is only running forward. There is no variation, just straight forward"....thats what i'm hearing....from someone who just saw a 3 second long gameplay video.

-"Theyr'e using the tall Sonic, i want short Sonic"...Be quiet! It's a blue hedgehog, wearing sneakers(WITH THE YELLOW BUCKLE STILL THERE!!!) running fast. When people se such a thing, they usually call it Sonic The Hedgehog. If he was not running fast and had red cheeks, it would have been the hedgehog from Animal Crossing. But it's not. This Is Spar...Sonic!

My pont: It's a 2D Sonic-game, on a home console, named Sonic The Hedgehog 4...and people are complaining...Just...don't complain untill the day you have recived the finished product.

Well actually the gold buckle was always there in Japan and Europe I believe, only in America was it removed for whatever reason.

Edited by ChaosXVI

I'm sorry Phos. I guess having an opinion is forbidden. Worse I get the feeling these lashing responses are just people trying to sound cool by separating themselves from people who liked Classic Sonic thus are the old foggie Retro-fags whom everyone must hate.

You.

Missed.

The.

Fucking.

POINT.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was announced. SONIC 4, as in a 2D game with momentum-based gameplay, NO new characters, classic environments, etcetera, et-fucking-cetera. Sure, it's not 16-bit, but hey, Sonic Team is doing their best to meld the old with the new, and personally, I think it looks more classic than New Super Mario Bros.

But instead of reveling in your victory of finally getting the game you wanted, you won't shut up about how the HUD isn't pretty enough, or how Sonic's eyes aren't good enough for you... the PROBLEM is that you just aren't happy with ANYTHING!!!!

And, I'm willing to bet, the irony in it all is if you got your wish...

You'd complain about it being a rehash.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 4

Ooookay people. Let's not dwell on the whole eyes thing anymore please. People have had their say, shared their opinions. Let's leave it at that and get back to being excited at the game. Or have we all argued too much to do so? :P

I'll start! Wow! Sonic 4 looks really awesome! I'm glad I invested in my Wii/Xbox 360/PS3/iPhone! ^____^

Seriously, I like the look of it, a lot.

(I'm off to bed in a bit. Try not to kill each other.)

• Thumbs Up 1

I say my honest opinion, I get this in return. Then I get voted down for defending it.

But think about what it SAYS Phos. Focusing on that much, it shows you're inflexible. And at the core of everything, that's the real problem of the fandom. We harp on and demand that certain things that are small and then they become deal breakers. Yes, small details are awesome, but there's two PROBLEMS with them in this case. One, it makes you get stuck at the point where demanding something be perfect becomes the enemy of something being good.

And the second part is that your honest opinion is too egocentric. You call Sonic's black eyes the character "looking right." Who defines what's right? And what's more, Sonic is NOT just the Genesis series. Sonic has existed for over ten years with green eyes. And Sega should throw that image of Sonic away for the small portion of people who want little details? Is that FAIR?

Classic fans are not a persecuted minority. There has been just as much whinging back and forth about both sides over the years of this debate. And no, I don't agree with the people cursing at you, but you can't deny the fact that your own posts have a measure of elitism to them.

You don't go into an argument or discussion stating you're right. You convince people you're right with your arguments, while also being cognizant of the situation beyond your person. And the Sonic fandom never ever DOES THAT.

Hmmm. I wonder if they will reference Robotnik's previous outfit in this one?

The only thing that makes me shout "holy crap in a hat why do you do this to us, SEGA" is that it is a downloadable game. Oh, no I am not spoiled but there is a clear reason why I want to say this. Well.... some of us don't have our consoles hooked up to an internet connection. My Wii console is located on the complete other side of the house, and I cannot hook it up to my DSL connection, which by the way is on the other side of the house. I would have to run a line through the house and across the hallway which my parents will throw a conniption fit if they ever saw me do that.

It is bad enough our hookup line is located in the bathroom. Yes you heard correctly.

And to boot, I cannot move the Wii system to the living room due to it being a high traffic area. My parents would kick me out every chance I get to play the damn thing.

Now, my room could compromise for a Wii system, but I have no room for that and a T.V. I would have to kick my poor bearded dragons out.

So far it seems like I'm boned.

Edited by Kintobor

You.

Missed.

The.

Fucking.

POINT.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was announced. SONIC 4, as in a 2D game with momentum-based gameplay, NO new characters, classic environments, etcetera, et-fucking-cetera. Sure, it's not 16-bit, but hey, Sonic Team is doing their best to meld the old with the new, and personally, I think it looks more classic than New Super Mario Bros.

But instead of reveling in your victory of finally getting the game you wanted, you won't shut up about how the HUD isn't pretty enough, or how Sonic's eyes aren't good enough for you... the PROBLEM is that you ASSHOLES just aren't happy with ANYTHING!!!!

And, I'm willing to bet, the irony in it all is if you got your wish...

YOU'D COMPLAIN ABOUT IT BEING A FUCKING REHASH.

Why couldn't I have joined the Mega Man fan-base....?

The irony of this irony is that I never wanted a Sonic 4. Most of the 3D games suit me just fine. This project could be canceled. I'd go 'Aw..'. And then go about my way. I'm not missing any points. I'm not backing off of my right to just state that I like Classic Sonic. I wanted to see him in this game. How I somehow became a total ass hole just for stating this I don't know.

Ooookay people. Let's not dwell on the whole eyes thing anymore please. People have had their say, shared their opinions. Let's leave it at that and get back to being excited at the game. Or have we all argued too much to do so? :P

I'll start! Wow! Sonic 4 looks really awesome! I'm glad I invested in my Wii/Xbox 360/PS3/iPhone! ^____^

Seriously, I like the look of it, a lot.

(I'm off to bed in a bit. Try not to kill each other.)

I'm sorry Dread. My last post was written before I saw your latest one. I'll drop the whole thing entirely.

The irony of this irony is that I never wanted a Sonic 4. Most of the 3D games suit me just fine. This project could be canceled. I'd go 'Aw..'. And then go about my way. I'm not missing any points. I'm not backing off of my right to just state that I like Classic Sonic. I wanted to see him in this game. How I somehow became a total ass hole just for stating this I don't know.

Sorry for the needless name-calling, it was stupid and I just got caught up in the craze. But I edited my message moments after posting it, and the message still stands. You're NOT an asshole, and no one is, I feel like a dumbass for saying so, even though I amended my post.

I just wish people learned to be happy that Sega did their best, and can understand that they can't read minds, or please everyone in a fan-base so helplessly torn.

EEeeeh??? I finally decide to post and now I see everyone ARGUING OVER EYE COLOR!?

Sonic Fanbase, I'm disappointed in you.

Hmmm. I wonder if they will reference Robotnik's previous outfit in this one?

The only thing that makes me shout "holy crap in a hat why do you do this to us, SEGA" is that it is a downloadable game. Oh, no I am not spoiled but there is a clear reason why I want to say this. Well.... some of us don't have our consoles hooked up to an internet connection. My Wii console is located on the complete other side of the house, and I cannot hook it up to my DSL connection, which by the way is on the other side of the house. I would have to run a line through the house and across the hallway which my parents will throw a conniption fit if they ever saw me do that.

It is bad enough our hookup line is located in the bathroom. Yes you heard correctly.

And to boot, I cannot move the Wii system to the living room due to it being a high traffic area. My parents would kick me out every chance I get to play the damn thing.

Now, my room could compromise for a Wii system, but I have no room for that and a T.V. I would have to kick my poor bearded dragons out.

So far it seems like I'm boned.

You could get a wireless router. I assume they're cheap since my mom got one. AND SHE NEVER BUYS ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY EXPENSIVE!

There are SOOOOOO many things wrong with that picture.

-REELIST1C INVIORMINTS GIT TEH H0LY W@T3R!11!!1

-Sonic is not RUNNING up that wall like a badass!

-Tails isn't flying!

-And OMG he's stealing Knuckles ability even though he wasn't invented yet back then OMG!

-BROWN EYES! TEH GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Edited by Black Spy

In my humblest of opinions, the character designs are the one thing that unquestionably improved in the shift between the classic and modern eras. I'm more concerned with having a game that I think is good than one that conforms to the moniker of "classic-style", so I see the modern-ish green-eyed Sonic as a plus. I also appreciate the Unleashed-styled Eggman... that was his best design by far, I think, so I'm glad to see it return.

As for the level design, I'm not going to try to give an opinion based on three seconds. Goddamn that Retro examination is impressive, though; I'm glad we have people with that kind of dedication around.

The level's appearance reminds me a little more of Leaf Storm than Green Hill, apart from the checkered hills and striped grass. The background's quite foresty... I hope that gives it some distinction.

It still seems kinda stupid to me. This is the best possible way, in my eyes, Sega could have brought classic Sonic gameplay to new gamers. And it's not good enough because Sonic looks 3D and his quills are just slightly too different. Oh, and his eyes are green.

Hell, I'm sure if they DID give you back the "classic" Sonic you're thinking of, you'd STILL bitch about how it's nothing but a rehash! Congrats, fanbase, that's a new record!

What a fucking JOKE.

...Wow, only 5 comments to kill pretty much any joy I had for seeing classic Sonic gameplay return!

Look, if the gameplay sucks or isn't properly momentum-based, if the music is nothing but shitty rock, or even if Eggman isn't the last boss, I'll admit to being a total tool for expecting this to totally kick ass. I promise. But until then, please at least TRY to give it the benefit of the doubt. It's classic gameplay, seemingly down to the purely momentum-driven gameplay. Just wait, for the sake of the small ounce of remaining respect this fanbase has. PLEASE.

Then they should be creating more original level and enemy designs to begin with, cause right now it looks like Sega is running out of ideas. Remember what the first levels of the first three games looked like? This is basically a more advanced looking version of Green/Emerald Hill Zone.

Whew, I had already posted my excitment when the trailer was first uploaded and I just finally got caught up with all the posts.

I honestly can't believe how many people are arguing over this game. Honeslty, you can tell SEGA is trying their hardest to please the old school fans while trowing in a few new ideas so the game feels like a sequel instead of a rehash. Nintendo did the same thing with New Super Mario Bros Wii and no one seemed to have a problem with that. Hopefully all this complaining will be like the whole Shellcracker concept art thing and pass over in a day or so.

As for the whole Sonic design thing*, I personally like his new design (eyes and all) more and am glad that they're using his new design.

Now let's all try to be a bit more cheerful and just be happy a new Sonic game is coming out. I personally can't wait for it. :)

*Sorry Dread, I know you said not to dwell on the eye thing anymore, but I just wanted to share my opinion.

Aquaslash's post has made me realize that there's a way the green eyes in Sonic 4 can be explained, if one feels inclined to do so.

Sonic had green eyes as Super Sonic in the Sonic 3 and SanK, right?

And Sonic 4 takes place right after those games, right?

Maybe after Sonic got the Master Emerald back from Robotnik during the Doomsday Zone level, some residual Chaos Energy caused his eyes to remain green.

Aquaslash's post has made me realize that there's a way the green eyes in Sonic 4 can be explained, if one feels inclined to do so.

Sonic had green eyes as Super Sonic in the Sonic 3 and SanK, right?

And Sonic 4 takes place right after those games, right?

Maybe after Sonic got the Master Emerald back from Robotnik during the Doomsday Zone level, some residual Chaos Energy caused his eyes to remain green.

Hmmm. As good a theory as any I suppose.

I love Retro-Sonic, hell, Sonic 2 is my favorite Sonic game, let alone one of my favorite games of all time. But saying that you utterly detest game due to a character's eye color is absolutely ridiculous.