Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

I'm pretty confused, it looks like some countries wont get the game on all formats at the same time according to SEGA's product pages.

U.K.:

Xbox LIVE®Arcade - Summer, 2010

PlayStation®Network - Summer, 2010

WiiWare - Summer, 2010

http://www.sega.co.uk/games/sonic-the-hedgehog-4/?t=EnglishUK&gseoid=sonic-the-hedgehog-4

U.S.:

TBC - TBC

http://www.sega.com/games/sonic-the-hedgehog-4/?t=EnglishUSA&gseoid=sonic-the-hedgehog-4

Australia:

Xbox LIVE®Arcade - Winter, 2010

PlayStation®Network - Summer, 2010

WiiWare - Winter, 2010

http://www.sega-australia.com/games/sonic-the-hedgehog-4/?t=Australian&gseoid=sonic-the-hedgehog-4

Germany:

Xbox LIVE ® Arcade - Summer, 2010

PlayStation ® Network - Summer, 2010

WiiWare - Summer, 2010

http://www.sega.de/games/sonic-the-hedgehog-4/?t=German&gseoid=sonic-the-hedgehog-4

France:

WiiWare - Summer, 2010

http://www.sega.fr/games/sonic-the-hedgehog-4/?t=French&gseoid=sonic-the-hedgehog-4

Netherlands

WiiWare - Summer, 2010

http://www.sega.nl/games/sonic-the-hedgehog-4/?t=Dutch&gseoid=sonic-the-hedgehog-4

Italy:

WiiWare - Summer, 2010

http://www.sega-italia.com/games/sonic-the-hedgehog-4/?t=Italian&gseoid=sonic-the-hedgehog-4

Spain:

Xbox LIVE ® Arcade: Summer, 2010

PlayStation ® Network: Winter, 2010

WiiWare: Summer, 2010

http://www.sega.es/games/sonic-the-hedgehog-4/?t=Spanish&gseoid=sonic-the-hedgehog-4

Oh and SEGA's made a funny on a few of the product pages with this line thats under Game Info -

Are you ready 4 this?

:lol:

Oh, 4chan's chock full of 'em. Hell, there are a few who dismissed it because the site refers to Robotnik as Eggman. Shock and horror!

I can understand where some people would prefer one design to another, but it's hardly something worth bringing up to this degree.

/v/ messes around with it frankly cause it's what they do when it's not GAFers or the ocassional proper poster on the boards. NeoGAF is where most of the drama regarding Sonic 4 resides now and that's where most laughs stem from. The nitpicky outcries are ridiculous.

I'm really hoping for an HD snow level.

Well with more than just one Episode with five - seven zones each who's to say it won't happen?

As a matter of fact this seems to open up a shitload of possibilities depending on how many episodes there will be.

Edited by The Psychosomantic

I'm not sure how many people care... but because this is a DLC title and in episodes... it does hint that there won't be a platinum trophy or many achievements/trophies when it's released.

I'm not sure how many people care... but because this is a DLC title and in episodes... it does hint that there won't be a platinum trophy or many achievements/trophies when it's released.

12 achievements is a standard quota on Xbox Arcade titles.

Fixed :D

oqhf7n.jpg

I like this far more better than the one we have now

Me too. I think it's a good compromise; it's not quite classic Sonic, it's not quite modern Sonic. The arm is very noticable as being way too big for the rest of the image though, but besides that I really like this design. Modern sonic just looks way too detailed,in that emblem his I guess you'd call them "eyebrows" just look too much, the over extention of his quills, and all the added detail to make him look "edgy" or "cool" just come off as overexaggeration. That photoshop made Sonic is simplistic and not over-the-top, it doesn't feel like its trying hard to look cool - it just looks cool.

I would've liked to have seen somehting like this as the final model for Sonic4

I'm really hoping for an HD snow level.

I'm hoping for a ruins level. Something like Marble Garden zone from Sonic3...or even a remake OF marble garden, if we happen to revisit Angel island this game. Edited by The-Master-Board

The Intro section unlocked but the info still won't load up. What gives?

I got it open, but there are still missing letters and grammatical errors.

When that intro says "the best of his creations" I read that as a simple reference to the old badniks showing up again... "best of" referring to a group rather than an individual. Sonic 1-2-3-K all got brand-new badniks, so I can see this being worth pointing out specifically in a set-up description.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Metal/Mecha Sonic showed up, from all the fan service this title is attempting, but I don't think that's what this (badly-written) Intro is saying... so maybe don't hold your breath on that one just yet.

Are we honestly going to talk about the Modern vs Classic look all over again?

Anyway: Sonic the Hedgehog 4 huh? I knew they had to eventually do it. I honestly have no opinion over this. My personal outlook on Sonic games have been generally positive and I'm not the type to criticize designs, as long as the game runs well.

As for the Knuckles "plothole": There's two ways I look at it. Sonic and Knuckles' story can begin at the same time, but progress at a different rate. Remember, S&K had the same bosses (mostly), just a different final boss and different ending. So progression rate is totally up in the air.

The second way is the "ultimate" option, which is a total retcon of Knuckles' story and just mentioning the betrayal in the storyline, which I can honestly see happening.

But right now I'd rather just go with what Dreadknux said and not bother touching the storyline with a 7-foot pole.

Okay.

Can I read ONE article about Sonic 4 that DOESN'T begin with something like "the poor reception of their efforts to bring their mascot into 3D"?

I mean really. As a Star Wars fan I already read "while the Prequels were failures" every time the Clone Wars is written about, and as a Simpsons fan I already read "while the past ten seasons were awful". Yeesh.

My only problem with the concept is the cynical decision to call it Sonic The Hedgehog 4 (so we're meant to pretend all of the Sonic games since Sonic 3 never happened?) and the episodic formula. This isn't a narrative-led adventure, it's a straightforward platformer. Stop mucking about Sega and give it to us all at once!

Having said that, does that mean the title Sonic 2 assumes that we pretend Sonic CD never happened? Again, another stupid comment from this article. Sure, the game could have had another title, but then it would have been just another stand alone release. Giving it the "4" allows for a natural progression from the third game, and groups it in with the classics. It could have been "Sonic (insert catchy word here)", but "4" gives it so much more attention. Hell, even Mtv and CNET reported on Sonic 4!

Edited by Doctor Eggman

This is a little random-- but I think the people who complain about the inclusion of Homing Attack are probably the ones who didn't know it was in Sonic Rush. =u=

Hehe, should have taken your advice on just reading the Historical article. The other one angers up the blood! ;)

This is a little random-- but I think the people who complain about the inclusion of Homing Attack are probably the ones who didn't know it was in Sonic Rush. =u=

I think people who complain about the inclusion of Homing Attack are probably the ones who didn't like Sonic Rush (or at the very least really didn't want this ultra-hyped throwback to the classics to end up being a fucking Sonic Rush game).

Edited by Tornado

Man, Doctor Eggman, I hear you! I mean, despite the poor reception of their efforts to bring their mascot into 3D, at some point you'd think someone would assume that we already know about Sonic's crummy reputation and recapping about how Sonic Heroes was okay design with repetitive stories and shoddy controls followed by Shadow the Hedgehog was fanservice gone horribly wrong, and how Sonic 06 should never have happened, how Secret Rings was the odd one out, how Black Knight was loathed for the sword, how the werehog made people hate Unleashed, and even how SA1 and SA2 were despised for the emerald hunt, not to mention similar examples... what's the point of stating what everyone knows and then to go on to say "well the latest attempt by SEGA to bring the hedgehog back to his former glory" and then "given the series reputation, this is a big deal" and then go on to say stuff like "don't mess this up SEGA (again)" and "ololol sonic cycle" and only really spend a little while talking about the game itself...

Wait.......

Well, not to stir the homing attack pot, but hopefully the two buttons will be: A/X = jump, B/O = homing attack

That way it's optional for normal attacks, making it easy for the kiddies to use and easy for the hardcores to ignore. Also, I like the occasional pit crossing via enemy attacking.

Hey, at least grinding hasn't been mentioned!

edit: @JEV3

Yeah, it just hurts my head to have to read through a paragraph of opinion to get to the news piece. I want to read about Sonic 4, not hear the trials and tribulations of 3D Sonic (which IMO was near perfection in SA1&2).

Edited by Doctor Eggman

So far it looks nice (been reading this thread for the past 3 days, finally made it to the surface). About the teaser trailer the only quirk I have is the running animation, but I suppose it can be worked upon until when the game's released. Sonic 'skipping' at that pace feels a bit unnatural, it conflicts with my Sonic the Hedgehog experience where Sonic pulled the wheel motion for his feet at a slower pace than that. :P If they could reproduce that animation on that 3D model it would be great.

Maybe I'll get it for WiiWare myself, depends on if whether the first episode holds enough content to be worth downloading for or not (something that lasts more than a day or two to explore at it's fullest, I hope). If it will seemingly lack any form of challenge then I suppose I can live with YouTube playthroughs once more.

It does feel odd however seeing 'Skipper' maintain a constant amount of speed for the whole 3 seconds though. Shouldn't he get some form of acceleration after or during the corkscrew thing?

Or maybe he did and I didn't notice. :F

Edited by MickX

I'm sure the complete code wasn't implemented when that video was captured. For all we know, Sonic is much more fluid than the trailer depicted.

Y'know, I honestly had no idea there was a homing attack in Sonic Rush.

I expect this trend to continue.

Besides this, I love the way it looks. I don't care about the character model being 3D (though I'm not certain if it's a 3D model or a sprite made using a 3D model... the shading makes me think the latter, but I dunno) but the 2D (not 2.5D) backgrounds is perfect. Level design doesn't have to make sense in 3D this way, and it opens up a lot more for them. Plus, I think it just looks better.