Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

It does feel odd however seeing 'Skipper' maintain a constant amount of speed for the whole 3 seconds though. Shouldn't he get some form of acceleration after or during the corkscrew thing?

Or maybe he did and I didn't notice. :F

Hasn't your speed inside and after the corkscrew depended on how fast you were going before entering it? My memory on Sonic 2's probably fuzzy, but your speed through it was actually always constant. If Sonic supposedly entered it at a low speed, the rate would remain unchanged unless he was going so slow that he fell out of it. That's probably what we're seeing here.

I had a niggling feeling that what we've seen wasn't his full speed, though. Can you imagine that bouncy gait looking any better at higher speeds?

Well, I can't remember it well either, perhaps I'm confounding it with Advance 2 or something where the downward bits of the corkscrew made you accelerate a bit. Or maybe you do get momentum in the early games if you spin through them, I don't know... Honestly it's been years since I remember playing the Mega Drive games actively. x_x

I do follow the opinion that Sonic can go faster though. In a general way I suppose the teaser wasn't well planned out after all, the gameplay bit at least. There were probably other areas and things to demonstrate in a 3-5 second window than a corkscrew run at half speed.

Edited by MickX

Okay.

Can I read ONE article about Sonic 4 that DOESN'T begin with something like "the poor reception of their efforts to bring their mascot into 3D"?

I mean really. As a Star Wars fan I already read "while the Prequels were failures" every time the Clone Wars is written about, and as a Simpsons fan I already read "while the past ten seasons were awful". Yeesh.

They will always remember it. It's even the reason why Unleashed got reviewed lower than 06 in many cases. Disgusting.

Having said that, does that mean the title Sonic 2 assumes that we pretend Sonic CD never happened? Again, another stupid comment from this article. Sure, the game could have had another title, but then it would have been just another stand alone release. Giving it the "4" allows for a natural progression from the third game, and groups it in with the classics. It could have been "Sonic (insert catchy word here)", but "4" gives it so much more attention. Hell, even Mtv and CNET reported on Sonic 4!

Many thought CD occured before 2, even before 4 happened.

___

It's kind of funny all of this crying for the old model. Not even that one was consistent, aka see this person's sign:

http://www.sonicstadium.org/board/member-adamis-fox-m143.html

And there are more too!

Nothing against cute Sonic though. I'd like to see again but all this complain about it was ridiculous.

Well, here's an opinion for you: putting noodlemouse in the wingtip logo was a horrible thing. Unlike all the previous crappy noodlemouse games, I can't just ignore it. They are trying to attatch this thing directly to childhood memories of mine with what is in essence a cruel parody of what I actually wanted out of this. Thanks to them putting it in the wingtip logo, that's also all I can see in noodlemouse, who I will no longer be referring to as Sonic.

So now it's a bitch because of the wing tip logo. Sonic 1 and 2 8-bit had the wing tip logo and they were crap. Jam had the wing tip and it's just a compilation. If you think it's insulting, just ignore it. Nothing that they do now will soil our classic memories as much as either Shadow's game or Next Gen did.

His fifiteen year old title, pompously called Sonic the Hedgehog is much more insulting to me. At least this one with a 4 slapped there doesn't imply it's better than then original or the true Sonic or a valid reimagination, just a sequel.

Edited by redmenace
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hmm... well, Sonic is said to "go off on his own adventure" in this game and Tails and Knuckles are nowhere to be found... is it possible that while Sonic is on this little vacation he later meets up with Amy and the events of Sonic CD take place?

AAUK mentioned that we have not seen Sonic at full speed, so no worries on "Skipper the Hedgehog".

That makes me wonder what his full speed running animation looks like. I'm personally hoping for wheel-o-feet, but we'll have to wait and see.

It's kind of funny all of this crying for the old model. Not even that one was consistent, aka see this person's sign:

http://www.sonicstadium.org/board/member-adamis-fox-m143.html

And there are more too!

Nothing against cute Sonic though. I'd like to see again but all this complain about it was ridiculous.

Yeah, and it's not even Sonic's design that used to be inconsistent- the change in art style from Sonic 2 to Sonic 3 was drastic.

People have been overplaying the importance of the game's aesthetic. I love the classic Sonic model, and it's quite possibly my favorite, but seriously. I've been to the official forums and it's simply astonishing the backlash this game has gotten over such an insignificant matter. If my brain could throw up, it would.

You can also see this press release in the 'News' part of the official website, if no-one noticed that before. =P

Probably because it was about that time of night roughly I gained permissions to actually put it there?

imarafan - I think I've already commented about running animation?

I want to see Sonic CD figure of 8 tbh.

Sonic CD needs to be not forgotten, there best be a Stardust Speedway inspired stage in one of the episodes.

Aw hell, I got a phone call halfway through writing this and it's probably old now.

This game might have a roll feature like Sonic Adventure! Not a spin dash, and not exactly like he originals "press down to roll" thing, basically the whole deal where you press a button, roll up into a ball for a second and get a small speed boost then unroll and you're running faster. Paying attention to the footage, it does look like that, and this could be a blessing and a curse. It's a new mechanic that could very well change the way people play Sonic 4, it's not a "SPAM RUN" like Sonic rush or Unleashed where you blast through all of your enemies.

Mmmn. This would wreck a bit of the gameplay for me. Not entirely ruin, because I love the Rush series... but it would be different. The boost is comparable to spammable spin dash because they're both constant-speed moves. The Adventure-dash can be spammed while already moving - instead of holding boost to win you mash spin to win. Classic spin dash can only start at a standstill because rolling is mapped to some of the same actions. This makes upkeep of speed while moving entirely on the player, where the Adventure-dash places all that on one button. It changes the momentum game.

As for the story clips on the site, they're making me feel like a kid reading an instruction manual. A poorly edited instruction manual, but it's still fun. I wouldn't worry too much about inconsistencies on the site. They're recapping the classics for people, and I doubt the new story will focus so heavily on the the events of Angel Island anyways. But because we have nothing better to do... the full all-Emeralds ending of S3&K shows an Eggrobo emerging from the wreckage of the Death Egg as if to say it's not over. When I first saw this I figured Eggman had become a robot or something - I wondered what happened to him, and why would I care about some Eggrobo anyways? If the stories are meant to be played in the order of Sonic then Knuckles though, that little "Eggrobo's revenge" scene could be taken as an intro to Knuckles' story. The first shot in Knuckles' story is him relaxing in Mushroom Hill when a bomb is dropped on him by Eggrobo. My understanding of this is a little skewed though since I went into Knuckles' story first. My first impression of the Eggrobo was that it was Eggman's way of harassing Knuckles without revealing himself as the true enemy. I guess you could say that only S&K's Knuckles arc is canon, since that's not the case.

Ah, I hadn't noticed the story summary.

Story thus far:

It began as Sonic’s animal friends begin disappearing from South Island. Soon Sonic discovers that evil scientist Dr. Eggman has been kidnapping them and turning them into robots to collect the legendary treasure – The Chaos Emeralds. Sonic decides it’s up to him to save them and embarks on a quest to free his animal friends. Sonic battles Eggman through many different zones. Sonic eventually pursues Eggman to Final Zone where the first in many epic battles between them begins. In the end Sonic is victorious and Eggman’s Mecha fly’s away badly damaged. Sonic returns to Green Hill Zone and re-unites with his friends.

Treated as a zone instead of just a bass eh? My childhood vindicated.

507394646_87b32501dd.jpg

Loling at the fact that they porposedly forget to number the emeralds.

Their reunion is short lived however, as Eggman resurfaces and begins kidnapping Sonic friends again, in an effort to create more workers to finish his ultimate Weapon – The Death Egg! Teaming up with the newly met, Miles ‘Tails’ Prower, Sonic embarks on a new mission through West Side Island in an effort to free his friends and ensure Eggman does not obtain the 7 Chaos emeralds to fuel the Death Egg.

Once the West Side Island is freed, Sonic and Tails eventually board the Tornado and assault the Death Egg itself. After destroying Mecha Sonic, Eggman flees and enters his new Eggman Robot attacking Sonic! After a heated battle Sonic destroys the Eggman Robot and the Death Egg begins to explode.

More manly tears? Goddamn.

Sonic and Tails fly down and come across mysterious island called Angel Island. This island is floating by the power of the precious stone called Master Emerald, but now this mysterious island are dropping down to the ocean surface because the Death Egg had been falling on this island. Sonic and Tails are attacked by a Red Echidna named Knuckles the guardian of the island.

There was a lot of drugs involved with the making of this paragraph.

Knuckles steals the Chaos emeralds from Sonic, being tricked by Eggman that he is an enemy come to take the Master Emerald. While Sonic and Tails are entangled by Knuckles, Eggman repairs the Death Egg and preps it for launch.

Sonic manages to jump on Death Egg just as it’s flying off. After confronting Eggman on the Death Egg, Sonic defeats Eggman once more and the Death Egg plummets back to Angel Island.

So far, so good.

Back on the ground Dr. Eggman begins the repairing Death Egg again. Feeling Knuckles has served his purpose, he sends EggRobo to eliminate this potential threat. EggRobo finds Knuckles relaxing in Mushroom Zone and drops a bomb on him but Knuckles manages to survive. Enraged, the Wild Echidna sets off to defeat EggRobo. Meanwhile Sonic and Tails explore the island to find traces of the Death Egg and find out Eggman’s fate. After and Epic showdown between Sonic and Knuckles, Eggman uses the opportunity to finally steal the Master Emerald and re-launches the Death Egg. With the power of the emeralds, Sonic goes after Eggman, who has taken the Master Emerald into space.

Sonic and Tails secure the Master Emerald and return it to Knuckles on Angel Island. With it’s power restored, the Angel Island lifts off into the sky as Sonic and Tails fly off into the sunset.

er... I need time to digest this part. It's really innacurate. All the rest is fine though.

But this humiliating defeat only serves to further Eggman’s rage, and he has determined once and for all to rid himself of Sonic. Eggman revisits – and improves – the very best of his creations to defeat our spiked hero.

And so a new Adventure begins…

This is continuity. This needs to be explained well.

~

Probably because it was about that time of night roughly I gained permissions to actually put it there?

Hey, tell the guys to diminuish that ungodly dust cloud. It clutters space too much and so many clouds is unnecessary.

/nitpicking but really true.

Edited by redmenace

I also was thinking maybe sonic cd takes place after 4, oh and also i han an idea, they said there will be motion controll, maybe its for the special stage, in the trailer when you see the words "in 2010 the adventure continues" you can see a video in the letters and it looks like a new version of the sonic 1 special stage, i didnt find the video in the letters some one else di ijust thought that might be what the motion controll is for.

• Thumbs Up 1

HOLY EXPLATIVE EXPLATIVE!!!

YOU CAN SEE THE SPECIAL STAGE IN THE TRAILER!!!

Eternlo is right! And with a first post too!

Check out the trailer, full screen. When "in 2010 the adventure continues" appears, squint or take off your glasses (if you're near sighted) and the pixel letters are a bit clearer. You can see a spinning Sonic knocking about a rotating special stage.

Has this been mentioned before??

Edited by Doctor Eggman

Check out the trailer, full screen. When "in 2010 the adventure continues" appears, squint or take off your glasses (if you're near sighted) and the pixel letters are a bit clearer. You can see a spinning Sonic knocking about a rotating special stage.

Holy mother of fuck

you might be onto something

Is Eternlo a Sega plant? 1 post and that tidbit is hinted at?

Anyway, watching again it clearly is the Sonic 4 model in a Special stage. Wow.

Shadz, get this on the main page STAT!

Yo Brick, you see dat shit??

Is Eternlo a Sega plant? 1 post and that tidbit is hinted at?

Anyway, watching again it clearly is the Sonic 4 model in a Special stage. Wow.

Shadz, get this on the main page STAT!

I think it was on the main page yesterday...or i've just read it somewhere else. But it's clear that it's a special stage since Sonic jumps into a Giant Ring at the same time.

Yup, Brad caught onto it on our front page shortly after the trailer was revealed :P

http://sonicstadium.org/community/sonic-4-rotating-maze-special-stages-returning

YOU CAN SEE THE SPECIAL STAGE IN THE TRAILER!!! Has this been mentioned before??

It was mentioned a bunch of times and news'd on the TSS page. You can also see Needlemouse Sonic on a Launch Base hand-swing in some frames.

Y'know, I honestly had no idea there was a homing attack in Sonic Rush.

Yep. If you press the trick button after a regular jump you get a small shoot forward in the air. Do it near an enemy and it homes, homes.

My memory on Sonic 2's probably fuzzy, but your speed through it was actually always constant. If Sonic supposedly entered it at a low speed, the rate would remain unchanged unless he was going so slow that he fell out of it. That's probably what we're seeing here.

It's possible to fall out of a corkscrew in Sonic 2, if that's what you mean. Stop running and Sonic will walk right off it and fall. 100% not automated.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

OXM have put up a blog entry titled 'Golden Age of Revival' and this one doesn't start out by complaining about the past games :lol:

http://www.oxm.co.uk...le.php?id=17148

You're right, it's more like in the middle! :D

Nice to see it isn't all pessimistic though.

Wait there are already articles out there calling this game a failure??

Fundamentally, it might be. I understand that ther must be evolution in abilities in this game, just like the previous titles before it, but thanks to the hype/momentum talk, I can see why some people are worried. With the discussion of a "boost-like" spin dash and the homing attack, the previous talk of "needing skill to get speed" really made the marketing look like a bad job of bait and switch. It's like inviting someone over for cake, but there is pie instead(not saying that cake > pie, etc., but that one concept is not really better than the other, but you expected the previous one).

How did I not catch that??

Oh right, because I'm waiting to hear if I won any Sonic swag at the official site.

Derp on my part, still awesome find!

I also was thinking maybe sonic cd takes place after 4

I doubt that considering Metal Sonic is either a downgrade or upgrade of Mecha Sonic (most consider to be a downgrade).

I already knew about that, sorry if that bothers you, that wasn't my intention.

Old news are old?

Also, why I keep hearing Deem Bristow everytime I read your posts? Why not Mike Pollock?

Yeah, I've been living in the threads, haven't ventured out to the main page in a few days.

I'd prefer to be read in the voice of Long John Baldry. Perhaps you need a prrrrromotion!

Actualy the special stage thing i read at sonic retro a few days ago, i just cant remember who posted it, and im lazy so i didnt feel like going through the pages to find it, or maybe it was one of the comments on the sega blog, im sorry i have a bad memory some times.

But what do you guys think about my motion controlls idea you think they are used to move the special stage to guide sonic tho the chaos emerald?