Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

lol wow, the things that you don't expect to see coming.....

I for one am excited for it. Regardless of everything like taking the series backwards/retrofans vs newfans/all the other political BS that people will come up with to argue about I have just one thing to say.....Classic Sonic games were hella fun to play and so if I just get to play a fun game with a character I like then I am happy.

Also I feel the forum will soon lose its mind.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fan fucking tastic. You make a 3D game, people piss and moan. They announce a 2D game, people still piss and moan. These same people who piss and moan kept going on and on about how Sonic should go back to 2D and go "back to his roots". Sega just can't fucking win.

^^^ As optimistic as I am right now Phos, that's hilarious.

You have to wonder though, if any of the new gimmicks they throw in will cross the line with some purists. A dealbreaker for me on the classic aspect would be the boost. I hope they leave it out. That's what Rush and Unleashed are for. Promise a classic and deliver a classic. You don't invoke the wingtip logo in vain. But we're getting ahead of things here. This is an announcement.

Edited by Ezra the Badnik

This could also just be an attempt to mainstream Sonic again.

Sega's made statements that make it seem like they're targeting a causal younger audience. But people who were with Sonic in the '90s are the ones writing reviews and complaining on the internet. I feel like this is an attempt to appeal to that wider base.

Also, they dug deep for a name like Needlemouse. I feel like that's one for the fans.

dug deep?

It's a well known nickname for "hedgehog."

Fan fucking tastic. You make a 3D game, people piss and moan. They announce a 2D game, people still piss and moan. These same people who piss and moan kept going on and on about how Sonic should go back to 2D and go "back to his roots". Sega just can't fucking win.

They haven't shown any of the game yet. They just said it was 2D and was "back to roots". They tried to with Rush and it sucked and "back to roots" is so tired that they might as well say, well, anything really.

Oh, and I'd also like to mention another axiom I used when dealing with new games (all new games): "How much does the first trailer resemble gameplay?" Man, Unleashed threw me off so hard when the leak caused them to release the trailers in the wrong order.

Don't get me wrong, when they show gameplay footage and if it's good, I'll change my tune.

Progress is clawing your way out of 2D, and developing a wider cast and gameworld.

Development is not deciding that this extra dimension is too scary for you, and crawling back under your z-axis-less comfort blanket, reeking of blind rose-tinted nostalgia. It is not jettisoning the wider world you've started to create, and throwing interesting secondary characters into the dumpster.

Project Needlemouse shall show us once again the wisdom of the ALMIGHTY CYCLE.

thecycle.jpg

Worship it. WORSHIP IT!

it's hard to fail more then Shadow the hedgehog, stop being sucha drama queen. We haven't even seen more then a teaser!

Sonic 06?

But really, the lack of anything more than a teaser isn't helping.

Well, at least I have my actual reasons for being worried, thank you.

*What Phos posted*

SO. MUCH. WIN.

Again, in the end this game is solving no major issues with the series minus satisfying the more nostalgic fans for a little while. Nothing long term is being addressed-- The next 3D game is probably going to be riddled with technical and/or aesthetic issues that will earn it derision, and we\'re right back where we started.
You know this from a teaser trailer how exactly? :lol:

thecycle.jpg

14soit.jpg

OH WOW U ARE SO ORIGINAL

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, all I can say is "Yay, a new Sonic game!"

2D? Who cares. Old-styled? Who cares. I just want Sonic and I want to be able to make him jump on things, and I'm just happy the next episode of his jumping-filled adventure has been announced.

For all the retrofags though, I do hope this is the game you've all been wanting, I really, sincerely do. =(

Wow, kinda had a clue this was coming after all the hoopla for MegaMan 9 but actually seeing it is a different beast.

Come to think of it, I wonder if this game will count as one of the "cannon" tittles or will it end up being being the storybook series that the PS360 consoles lack? I hope its the latter, so I dont have to see the progress Unleashed made just thrown away.

..... and I demand SOOOOO many unlockable skins if Sonic is the only player available. Also, what of the 20th Anny milestone? Other than that, I am pleased and I will be happily awaiting more info in the future.

They haven't shown any of the game yet. They just said it was 2D and was "back to roots". They tried to with Rush and it sucked and "back to roots" is so tired that they might as well say, well, anything really.

Oh, and I'd also like to mention another axiom I used when dealing with new games (all new games): "How much does the first trailer resemble gameplay?" Man, Unleashed threw me off so hard when the leak caused them to release the trailers in the wrong order.

Don't get me wrong, when they show gameplay footage and if it's good, I'll change my tune.

Okay, here's where it starts.

No where in that trailer do they EVER EVER EVER say "back to roots."

sonic unleashed blitz'd the last step of the cycle, it's no longer relevant.

Despite it being a teaser trailer, it directly advertises the game as "an all new 2D adventure", which means it is logical to infer that this is probably not going to be a 3D Sonic game, and thus it's probably not going to address the majority or any of the problems that are exclusive to 3D Sonic game development.
It's getting rid of the problems of 3D Sonic game development by not being a 3D Sonic game.

SEGA can address their issues with the third dimension in their own time, in games I don't have to play. Until then, I will bask in the glory of our new 2D overlord

Ehh that was a decent teaser with all the old school sounds and stutff, but AC2's was way better. Anyways I'll be keeping an EYE on this title. I hope they keep the Boost ability from the Rush series.

So i hope this comes to the HD consoles (ps3/xbox360).

This topic is getting hit with a lot of "i'm a bigger fanboi than joo" crud... i mean the trailer hasn't shown any gameplay.

To those who think this is an excuse from 3D, consider the amount of sales a game like this brings, versus how much it actually costs to make the game. Unleashed was the most expensive Sonic title yet, right? The way I see it, Sonic's 20th b-day project will be in full 3D, so this is a bone for the fans and especially classic enthusiasts. I don't know who this Ken Balough guy is, but he sounds like he knows a lot about the history of the series. He mentions old school fans specifically in the full interview.

And I can't help but wonder prematurely. If this game is gonna have in game playable Super Sonic. For the first time in forever.

It's a well known nickname for "hedgehog."

I wouldn't expect anyone to know what a Needlemouse is. It was Sonic's name in development. Synonymous with classic content.

Edited by Ezra the Badnik

Okay, here's where it starts.

No where in that trailer do they EVER EVER EVER say "back to roots."

Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots
  • Thumbs Up 1

To those who think this is an excuse from 3D, consider the amount of sales a game like this brings, versus how much it actually costs to make the game. Unleashed was the most expensive Sonic title yet, right? The way I see it, Sonic's 20th b-day project will be in full 3D, so this is a bone for the fans and especially classic enthusiasts. I don't know who this Ken Balough guy is, but he sounds like he knows a lot about the history of the series. He mentions old school fans specifically in the full interview.

And I can't help but wonder prematurely. If this game is gonna have in game playable Super Sonic. For the first time in forever.

Why would this be an excuse? Isn't this what the fans wanted? a full fledged 2D speed sonic game like the classics? And i hope this guy really IS A FAN and not just using some stupid PR tactic to help flood in interest from fans new and old.