Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

After reading some of the GS comments this just hit me. Why do we always get a new sonic game that fans ask for but not a sequel for a series except Nights or Monkey ball that fans want? I know I'm not the only person on earth who wants a JET SET/GRIND RADIO sequel or hell bringing back Ristar would be nice. I'm kinda tired of seeing sonic getting all the attention when there is always another character (JSR series) who needs/wants it more.

Avoiding a problem isn't the same thing as addressing it.
It is from the consumer's point of view. :o
And you can praise the name Needlemouse with your fellow Classic brethren while fattening yourselves on bread and wine and thumping your instruction manuals all you want, but I'm personally not interested in idolizing a false god. laugh.gif
I really doubt the game will be called Needlemouse but you can be damn sure I've busted my wine keg open already. :lol:

I know I'm not the only person on earth who wants a JET SET/GRIND RADIO sequel or hell bringing back Ristar would be nice.
Werehog was basically Ristar in 3D and they'd have to reform Smilebit before I go anywhere near a new JSR

I'm actually very optimistic and hoping for the best.

I'd love a new JSR. Unlike Sonic Team I'd have more confidence if some different team other than Smilebit wanted to tackle it.

Edited by Dejablue

To those who think this is an excuse from 3D, consider the amount of sales a game like this brings, versus how much it actually costs to make the game. Unleashed was the most expensive Sonic title yet, right? The way I see it, Sonic's 20th b-day project will be in full 3D, so this is a bone for the fans and especially classic enthusiasts.

I see it this way as well. I mean, let's face it - retro fans may complain a lot but 3D Sonic games are still selling quite a lot, so they're not just going to completely replace them in favour of 2D. I see this as just a nice gesture on SEGA's part to Sonic's older fans who don't like the changes his gameplay has taken over the years, and nothing more. The for lack of better term "Sonic Unleashed 2" has long been rumoured to coincide with Sonic's birthday anyway - so considering that leaves over a whole year; better to have this than nothing.

I'm also more pumped because it's a new Sonic game rather than specifically 2D, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the buildup. Here's hoping people don't give up hope about a week from now and it's what the retro fans want. They really deserve this game, but of course they will be hard to please.

I'm actually very optimistic and hoping for the best.

Thank You.

Can you see the irony here? People are on a sonic FAN SITE bashing SONIC GAMES and even games that are supposed to be like the games they are FANS of.

In my honest opinion, either have some actual intelligence in a debate or don't talk about it. Because people will just keep spinning it until we're completely off topic.

Edited by MAiKU

After reading some of the GS comments this just hit me. Why do we always get a new sonic game that fans ask for but not a sequel for a series except Nights or Monkey ball that fans want? I know I'm not the only person on earth who wants a JET SET/GRIND RADIO sequel or hell bringing back Ristar would be nice. I'm kinda tired of seeing sonic getting all the attention when there is always another character (JSR series) who needs/wants it more.

This is only a guess, but it could be because those game didn't exactly sell well enough to warrant a sequel?

Like I said I'm just guessing, so feel free to correct me.

Can you see the irony here? People are on a sonic FAN SITE bashing SONIC GAMES and even games that are supposed to be like the games they are FANS of.
Welcome to the sonic community, we love you too.

Thank You.

In my honest opinion, either have some actual intelligence in a debate or don't talk about it. Because people will just keep spinning it until we're completely off topic.

Nepenthe also pretty much sums things up. Nobody here is bashing this, there's just people who have reason to be skeptical. The skeptics would love to see what everyone is hoping for becoming a reality, don't get me wrong. But there is much reason for me to think that it is unlikely at best.

Edited by The Sniper

I wonder if that Wentos dude Foretold the Needlemouse Project in any way

>Wentos said that the next Sonic will be in the style of the daytime levels in Sonic Unleashed, have an increased focus on platforming, and will be Sonic only. The option to play as other characters will be included, but won

Nepenthe also pretty much sums things up. Nobody here is bashing this, there's just people who have reason to be skeptical. The skeptics would love to see what everyone is hoping for becoming a reality, don't get me wrong. But there is much reason for me to think that it is unlikely at best.

Oh really? there's a chart a couple or few pages back depicting a some sort of cycle of fail. One depicting the game getting bashed or someone giving it a bad review, and another with no one giving a hoot.

No i am sorry, that's totally not being negative in any sort of way about a game with no screens or gameplay. In fact it's a highly intelligent thing people should do and we should see more of it on this thread.

And it's just one of the many posts you all can discover with that mouse of yours, see the number of pages on the bottom there? you can check the past ones. I mean i can quote the chart if really necessary.

Edited by MAiKU

It shows nothing to be exited about. A game that is called "classic Sonic" and "goes back to roots" came up with Heroes and '06.

Not to mention the only classical stuff is the sound effects, and the Sonic shadow. We still have NO idea WHATSOEVER how this will turn out.

Put away the party hats boys, the dancers haven't arrived yet.

MAiKU, it's not really bad to speculate on what we could or couldn't get. We all have the same amount of information here.

Oh really? there's a chart a couple or few pages back depicting a some sort of cycle of fail. One depicting the game getting bashed or someone giving it a bad review, and another with no one giving a hoot.

No i am sorry, that's totally not being negative in any sort of way about a game with no screens or gameplay. In fact it's a highly intelligent thing people should and we should see more of it on this thread.

And it's just one of the many posts you all can discover with that mouse of yours, see the number of pages on the bottom there? you can check the past ones. I mean i can quote the chart if really necessary.

Oh, the Sonic Cycle? I damn well noticed, thank you. Besides Nitrogen's valid complaints, the Cycle itself is more or less a demonstration of Sega's track record with the series and how the fanbase keeps hyping each instalment up regardless of the quality of the previous games. It's also a big fat "don't hype this game" sign that EVERYONE IGNORES.

MAiKU, it's not really bad to speculate on what we could or couldn't get. We all have the same amount of information here.

I never said hoping the game will turn out good or it being a bad move was a bad thing. No one stating anything reasonable backing up any sort of negative claim or debate is kinda well, you know..... stupid.

Oh, the Sonic Cycle? I damn well noticed, thank you. Besides Nitrogen's valid complaints, the Cycle itself is more or less a demonstration of Sega's track record with the series and how the fanbase keeps hyping each instalment up regardless of the quality of the previous games. It's also a big fat "don't hype this game" sign that EVERYONE IGNORES.

So wouldn't putting that on a thread, for a game with no gameplay or screens mind you, imply that it would follow the same route?

I think people can get excited that new game is announced, or "hyped," without being shunned for it because there's nothing out yet stating or showing why this game will turn out to be a flop.

Yeah i'm gonna support this game, and i will continue unless i see something really scary in any screen shot or gameplay vid.

Edited by MAiKU

No i am sorry, that's totally not being negative in any sort of way about a game with no screens or gameplay. In fact it's a highly intelligent thing people should do and we should see more of it on this thread.

Most of us here simply care enough to criticize (what kind of people would we be if we just took things in blind faith?)

If people wanna be cynical about it, let them. Thats their own outlook.

I think the game will be fine.... but the fanbase will be horrible.

First off there's going to be A LOT of hype for this game. People will be expecting it to be the glorious return of Sonic and if the game isn't EXACTLY like they were imagining it there is going to be outrage.

Say people want the game to play like Sonic 1 but it plays more like Sonic 2 or people want it to be like Sonic 3 or it's more like Sonic CD. All classics but there's a large division on which are great and which are just ok.

Or say the game has cutscenes, where Sonic TALKS! Then you get people whinging about how SEGA lied to them by promising a classic game but using "lame modern Sonic".

Or say the game turns out to be great, then there's tonnes of people talking about how this means that Sonic should ONLY be in 2D and how 3D sucks (Even more then there is now anyway).

Or the game sucks and we have even MORE people declaring that Sonic is truly dead now and how its the "final nail in the coffin".

Even if the game IS good what happens after that ? If SEGA make another 2D game and it sucks people will be complaining about how the first game was just a fluke. Or if its good then the 3D fans will crawl out to complain. Or if they follow this game up with another 3D game and it sucks then the intensity of the "2D is Sonic, 3D sucks" will be extreme.

The only hope is if this game is excellent and is then followed up by an excellent 3D game. Yet.... I doubt that's going to happen.

I'm excited for a new Sonic game but I am NOT looking forward to the years of loud whinging that is sure to follow.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the game will be fine.... but the fanbase will be horrible.

First off there's going to be A LOT of hype for this game. People will be expecting it to be the glorious return of Sonic and if the game isn't EXACTLY like they were imagining it there is going to be outrage.

Say people want the game to play like Sonic 1 but it plays more like Sonic 2 or people want it to be like Sonic 3 or it's more like Sonic CD. All classics but there's a large division on which are great and which are just ok.

Or say the game has cutscenes, where Sonic TALKS! Then you get people whinging about how SEGA lied to them by promising a classic game but using "lame modern Sonic".

Or say the game turns out to be great, then there's tonnes of people talking about how this means that Sonic should ONLY be in 2D and how 3D sucks (Even more then there is now anyway).

Or the game sucks and we have even MORE people declaring that Sonic is truly dead now and how its the "final nail in the coffin".

Even if the game IS good what happens after that ? If SEGA make another 2D game and it sucks people will be complaining about how the first game was just a fluke. Or if its good then the 3D fans will crawl out to complain. Or if they follow this game up with another 3D game and it sucks then the intensity of the "2D is Sonic, 3D sucks" will be extreme.

The only hope is if this game is excellent and is then followed up by an excellent 3D game. Yet.... I doubt that's going to happen.

I'm excited for a new Sonic game but I am NOT looking forward to the years of loud whinging that is sure to follow.

Ugh, that post made my brain hurt. That's the Sonic fanbase in a nutshell for ya.

^ We can already criticize the concept (if we were so inclined).

--------------------

Not sure how much a of a story will be incorporated into this..... but why was this not brought up yet?

I think when it comes to characters, it
Edited by Sega DogTagz

I think it's funny how NeoGAF seems to be complaining a bunch about this when this is basically exactly what they wanted.

And despite the marketing, probably not the best idea to waste yourself until you get a designated driver and see some gameplay. Remember this bad boy? Yeeeeaaaah.

As an Aside, I saw that back when it was new, when I just randomly went to Gamespot. You know what I thought? "Looks like the same crap they've been pulling since Adventure 2". And I was right on the money.

Though I do hope that if they actually succeed at making a game like the Genesis games, they can take what they learned and make a great 3D game then. Pretty big "if".