Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Interestingly enough, if you look at the title at Gamespot.com, it lists the game for the PS3, 360, Wii, and PC. I hope this is all true.

Is that assuming they succeed in making a Genesis style game or not? I'm curious.

Well being a 2D game doesn't neccessarily mean it'll be good. Sonic has had plenty of overall mediocre 2D platformer games.

Well, I went in the Page Source to try to see if I can find anything......

I got nothin.

as for the pic? well, it does look like it could mean something... Not sure what. the first three on the left kinda look like something.

EDIT: Went into Page Info and it said the Modified date/time was Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:49:20 PM

hm.......

Edited by Dashing Blue

Judging by the teaser site, this is going to be an XBLA game. Those models don't look pretty enough for a retail game.

EDIT: Anyone notice the models laid out suspiciously similar to the layout of Green Hill Act 1? Could this be a remake?

As for Wentos, anyone could have guessed SEGA were going to focus more on 2D after the reception to Sonic Unleashed.

I just played through GHZ act 1, not really seeing it.

I hope its NOT a blatant remake. that would disappoint me. Especially the "ALL NEW" n stuff.

Edited by Dejablue

That site's designs remind me of Worms more than anything else.

That aside, this game is going to be completely ignored by everyone if the bandwagon deems it 'good', and completely trashed if they deem it 'bad'. At least, going off the other 2D games.

THAT aside, lookin' forward to it. I hope it's not Unleashed: Day Edition, but I'll still play it if it is.

Just saw the trailer. First impressions, Hopefully, they keep all the story, graphics and music the same (I want awesome cutscenes) and that if this is just 2D (or 2.5D), some cool features.

I... I don't know what to think here.

See... There's a part of me that says. "FREAKING AWESOME! A 2D Sonic game! It's been a while since I played a brand new one of those on a home console." Then there's the part of me, that liked the 3D Sonic games, believing that Sonic Team would pull it off, says,"Aww man! You were almost there, dudes! Not exactly in the ball park, but almost!"

As you can tell, I found a ton of enjoyment from both sides of the coin as well as disappointment. 2D isn't a magical wizard that guarantees a great gaming experience.

While I'm happy about Project Needlemouse. I guess I wish Sonic Team would give the unleashed 3D formula another shot. Tweaking for the better.

Still I can't wait for it though.

Hmmm... This makes me wonder... Could this formula be the new foundation for Sonic games, or is it just something to make the Sonic fans happy? And will the Storybook Series follow sue? I mean, Sonic and the Black knight and Sonic Unleashed weren't exactly a Cookie Cutter Couple.

Edited by Sir YoshiUnity

It might sound like the best thing ever at the moment, but just wait until they announce the ability to boost, HOPES AND DREAMS SHALL BE CRUSHED.

Meh, I would have expected a 2D Sonic title to be developed for Wii, where it would have probably been more succesful, and hardware limitations wouldn't have mattered much, but whatever.

Guess it'll be another Sonic game to skip for me. <_<

Sega associate brand manager, Ken Balough, also added "Many liked the daytime stages in Unleashed, but wanted to see a game that plays purely similar to the early games of the Genesis. Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots."

Well this sound promising, maybe they finally go--

Sega teases "built from the ground up" HD 2D adventure--codenamed Project Needlemouse--that aims to return to original game's speed-oriented play; teaser trailer inside.

*facepalm*

Oh yeah. Physics fans be damned.

Edited by Dejablue

We can already criticize the concept (if we were so inclined).

Sonic and the Black Knight = poor concept.

This = ...I fail to see how this is a bad concept in any way, shape or form. Not even in a Devil's Advocate stylee.

Anyway, it's nice that people like to criticise games they've never even seen and be cautious and all that jazz, but don't you feel it's kind of sucking the positive energy out of the community a little bit? Can't we just be happy that a new Sonic game is around the corner and, for the first time in 7 years (minus handhelds) it sounds like the developers/people involved have a bit of a clue?

I'm excited. :)

EDIT: That 'Needlemouse.com' website doesn't look particularly legit in my opinion... unless Sega are going for a real deep, grassroots viral thing with this. Which doesn't seem to be Sega's style to be honest.

Just a question, But how is Sonic going to look in this game? Will his design be like he was in the classics? Or will he still have his Sonic Adventure look with shoe buckles and green eyes?

Just a question, But how is Sonic going to look in this game? Will his design be like he was in the classics? Or will he still have his Sonic Adventure look with shoe buckles and green eyes?

The logo at the end of the teaser matches up pretty well with the Sonic 1 title screen, but it looks like he'll be a tad sleaker. Or maybe I'm just taking crazy pills.

And Sonic has always had buckles on his shoes, save for quite litterally the first drawing of him. I'm hoping for black eyes.

Edited by Phos

But don't you feel it's kind of sucking the positive energy out of the community a little bit? Can't we just be happy that a new Sonic game is around the corner and, for the first time in 7 years (minus handhelds) it sounds like the developers/people involved have a bit of a clue?

Thank you. It was getting a little depressing reading nigh on ten pages of senseless bashing.

The concept art on the teaser site looks gorgeous, and if that's any indication of what we're going to be seeing, I'm totally stoked.

Based on what I saw, I'm thinking either brand new 2D game (3D Graphics, of course) that either is a remake of the first Sonic game, or embraces aspects of the classics.

Either way, I'm fairly sure they've taken the best parts of their previous game (Sonic Unleashed), and decided to go back to basics. Good move, I say. Since the fans love the 2D games on handhelds, and pander to the old fanboys.

Well, time will tell what's happenin'. Though hopefully for the better.

The source code for that website states the picture is concept art, which means it is not legit final art objects but just concept, if that is the case after all. Might not be real as revealed, but still, anyone who has been playing SuperStars Tennis or seen the ASR trailers will atest thats the kind of shit we want to see in a Sonic game. I saw that shit and said: Fuck this tennis game, I wanna go run on that stuff, on the loops, THAT is Sonic.

That being said, I think this is a good idea. I mean, near everyone (myself included) in the community has been sitting there wishing for something grass roots, or, just something simple where we can enjoy what makes Sonic. Inertia and Speed combined to make a great platformer experiance. Boost button doesn't bother me in the slightest if it is introduced because Sonic Rush/Adventure had it and it didn't detract from the gameplay at all.

Now I am just psyched up to see whether or not we can use different characters in the levels and bring back individual skills/traits that was shown off like Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Hell, I'm excited to see what other news we have coming our way. I've always found something to like about every Sonic game; from 06's amazing vocal pieces - Unleashed Day stages, SA2's story, Heroes design... I'm amped to see what this game brings to the table.

I look forward to inviting my long lost friend back into my heart and console. He has been missing for oh, so long.

Woah, I go to bed and an hour later all this is revealed. I wake up and see this, SUPER HAPPY MODE ACTIVATED :D

2D HD Sonic should be awesome!

EDIT: That 'Needlemouse.com' website doesn't look particularly legit in my opinion... unless Sega are going for a real deep, grassroots viral thing with this. Which doesn't seem to be Sega's style to be honest.

WHOIS information for needlemouse.com :

Domain ID:

Domain Name: needlemouse.com

Created On: 21-Aug-2009 00:00:00

Expiration Date: 21-Aug-2010 00:00:00

Sponsoring Registrar: 'Check Whois' (NEW DREAM NETWORK, LLC) (NEW DREAM NETWORK, LLC)

Name Server: ns1.dreamhost.com

Name Server: ns2.dreamhost.com

Registrant ID: Unknown

Registrant Name: Unknown

Registrant Organization: Unknown

Registrant Street1: Unknown

Registrant Street2: Unknown

Registrant Street3: Unknown

Registrant City: Unknown

Registrant State/Province: Unknown

Registrant Postal Code: Unknown

Registrant Country: Unknown

Registrant Phone: Unknown

Registrant Fax: Unknown

Registrant Email: Unknown

Admin ID: Unknown

Admin Name: Unknown

Admin Organization: Unknown

Admin Street1: Unknown

Admin Street2: Unknown

Admin Street3: Unknown

Admin City: Unknown

Admin State: Unknown

Admin Postal Code: Unknown

Admin Country: Unknown

Admin Phone: Unknown

Admin Fax: Unknown

Admin Email: Unknown

Whoever did it had inside information - check out the date. It's very possible SEGA decided not to link it because the moment they did the gaming industry would tear it apart for information.

I think the site is legit. Check out this:

body {
background-image:url('concept_art_snapshot.jpg');
background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-position: center 125px;
background-color: #000;

}[/code]

Again, inside information (concept_art_snapshot.jpg). ;)