Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

People, control your emotions!

Don't let that tingle inside get the best of you! We've been hurt so many times before, we can let them get the best of us again!

Who am i kidding? Dammit... *sobs in corner*

Anyway, it seems it's time for the forum to ressurrect again, has as been with each new title announcement. :D

Edited by killemoff

It's not April 1st is it? It's not! Well F-YES!

Hopes are high for this after seeing that trailer, though obviously not too high as one would come to expect after years of continued failures.

The intro with the "Se---- Ga----! in the old school way already had me excited, and will hopefully be their new (new as in used to be old) logo jingle from now on. That crappy flash of lights and new school SEGA thing was boring and didn't feel to me like the same impact I got from turning on my Mega drive.

Then I'm hit with the ring sounds, the blue teaser blur of Sonic doing a loop, and the the silouette of the classic winged emblem!!!! with ring sounds in the background, codenamed "project needlemouse,uh,uh,uh,uh and it's in 2D!?!? :D:D:D:D Also the fact its not coming until 2010...hopefully means SEGA have actually listened and decided to take some real time making this game and appealing to Sonic's early fans.

That teaser site cut my enthusiasm down a little though.....as someone already said it looks more like Dr.Seuss than anything....but at least they've got the checkers and whole fantasy world element of Sonic there, and it is only concept afterall.

I am really hoping this will be reminiscent of Sonic's original classic fantasy charm, and not just Sonic Unleashed daytime stages repackaged.

Something in the style of the classics, or even similar looking to super paper mario but with old school gameplay feel would be nice.

I eagerly await more information! ;)

Edited by The-Master-Board

Holy crap holy crap holy crap! :D

How can you NOT be excited and hyped up by this news? :o

Edit: I'm a little worried that it isn't official either, but then again, if it isn't, it soon will be. News like this would generate enough popularity to show Sega that a lot of people really want it.

Edited by CapnCloudchaser

I'm really skeptical about this and I think the Sonic cycle will begin again.

#1 Announced too soon.

#2 Classic retro feel will even get classic-fans in the cycle; some people don't seem to get that it's not 3D Sonic that sucks, it's the devs that just can't make games.

#3 Save dev team, same disappointments.

Of course that's objective, I'll love it anyway since I somehow manage to enjoy everything that comes out of the series.

I'm really skeptical about this and I think the Sonic cycle will begin again.

#1 Announced too soon.

#2 Classic retro feel will even get classic-fans in the cycle; some people don't seem to get that it's not 3D Sonic that sucks, it's the devs that just can't make games.

#3 Save dev team, same disappointments.

Of course that's objective, I'll love it anyway since I somehow manage to enjoy everything that comes out of the series.

I thought the Hedgehog Engine was a good piece of code. Sonic 06 was horribly coded obviously. I think the rest of what make sonic games bad are the design choices involved. Namely crap like apocolypse scenario and werehog/tack on garbage to make the game stand out from the rest.

I don't think you could announce a game too soon and have it become a contributing factor to the game's overall performance. By that logic, Halo 3 would be freaking terrible, when in reality, despite opinions on halo's generic brand of sci-fi, the game plays magnificantly and looks stunning.

The Devs and designers go hand in hand. I agree, a 3D sonic doesn't warrant a good game, and we will have to wait to see how it plays, but I think if it were not for the werehog/crash bandicoot gameplay in unleashed; we would have played a much more enjoyable game last time we played the specultion game.

The hedgehog engine is a visuals program though, and generally won't affect the gameplay any more than the developers can. They have to get this right, or they get it wrong. I know it's stating the obvious, but to Sonic Team it seems to be REALLY HARD FOR THEM TO UNDERSTAND.

Also if the game is downloadable then I'm not sure the hedgehog engine will be used.

hey guys look what i managed to photoshop

29x9d92.png

silhouette matches perfectly with the sonic 1 title

The hedgehog engine is a visuals program though, and generally won't affect the gameplay any more than the developers can.
Pretty sure hedgehog engine has some physics/gameplay stuff coded into it too.

I'm no game designer, but if it's "Built from the ground up" as they claim in the trailer ~ doesn't that mean no hedgehog engine, and all new...other...engines??

I'm no game designer, but if it's "Built from the ground up" as they claim in the trailer ~ doesn't that mean no hedgehog engine, and all new...other...engines??

That's what in implies, yeah. Otherwise they'd hype that shit up like did before unleashed an mention their beloved engine.

Presumably they're using the engine for Unleashed 2 or something instead.

Seeing this trailer excites and saddens me. Firstly, new Sonic game, yay! I'm sad at the fact that its old style. Sayonara Adventure style games and story. You may say Sonic 3 & Knuckles had a story but it just fell flat to me. At least keep cutscenes in it. My hope is they keep some characters in it. Hey knuckles might be useful again!

Yes, hedgehog engine won't be used.

I bought it up to highlight that Sega dev's can create some decent gameplay/visual engines when they feel like it

There has been no confirmation that is the official title or banner used in the final game product, only what is used in the teaser lol.

It could just as likely been used to trigger a retro response from the fanbase to signal a return to previous gameplay moulds used in the genesis days

Damn, I don't know what to think. On one hand, I'm overjoyed and think this'll be a great idea, if SEGA can pull it off right....but if this is the end of 3D Sonic for good I won't be very happy at all. As a spinoff? Hell yeah. Replacing my beloved Adventures and Unleashed? No way.

But of course I can't say anything right now on so little info. Can't wait to see what this is all about - I think it's too early to speculate whether it's going to be good or bad.

But wow, if this is a spinoff, and they do it right...that'd be awesome. I wonder how they're going to overcome the short game due to Sonic's speed thing, therefore requiring filler? Will it be XBLA? Budget title? Or will they actually prove that they CAN make a full-length game...?

• Thumbs Up 1

*headdesk* DAMMIT!

I'm not always a negative person, and that I'm quite optimistic about Sonic almost all the time. But this announcement makes me feel REALLY down. I really don't like how Sega decided to just toss away the effort and errors of all the previous 3D Sonic games to make a quick buck. This announcement, thus far, feels a LOT like a sellout game instead of a "bring-Sonic-back-to-roots" game. I want Sonic to grow, and making a 2D side-scroller feels like the series is going in reverse instead of evolving. :(

Despite saying 2010, I hope there will be a Sonic game coming out in 2011, and I hope THAT is the 20th Anniversary game, not this one. Sorry, but I feel very concerned right now. :(

Oh, well, we'll see what happens in the future...

• Thumbs Up 1

. I really don't like how Sega decided to just toss away the effort and errors of all the previous 3D Sonic games to make a quick buck.
Out of the last 4 3D Sonic Games how many have been good? One? Why is throwing that away a bad thing, why is starting afresh selling out?

I'll tell you what was selling out, Black Knight, Shadow The hedgehog, and Sonic 06.

and how anyone can tell a a game is selling out by a teaser trailer THAT DIDN'T EVEN SHOW THE GAME is beyond me.

Which means it's probably chubby Sonic.Which means it's probably a remake.
the hubbub about all new doesn't exactly scream "remake" to me.

You don't invoke the wingtip logo in vain.

Oh my. Thats possibly the greatest thing I've ever read. Yes I'm 6 pages too late, oh well.

I'm not always a negative person, and that I'm quite optimistic about Sonic almost all the time. But this announcement makes me feel REALLY down. I really don't like how Sega decided to just toss away the effort and errors of all the previous 3D Sonic games to make a quick buck. This announcement, thus far, feels a LOT like a sellout game instead of a "bring-Sonic-back-to-roots" game.

So we've got a few buggy messes and Sonic Unleashed under our belts - how exactly is this a sellout? Fans have been begging for just this for as long as I've been on these forums. SEGA is listening to their fans and rightly so, to give their ideas a try and see how far it gets them.

I want Sonic to grow, and making a 2D side-scroller feels like the series is going in reverse instead of evolving. :(

Not all games are designed for 3D. For instance: Mega Man X7 was 3D in sections but it just didn't fit, so Mega Man X8 was purely sidescroller.

Ahh you know these media types.

It's white lies I tell you.

CLASSIC SONIC REMADE IN HD would be a way better sales pitch then what they have now, though.

@ Chubby Sonic -> yeah the fatass offmodel weird sonic on boxarts and the like is not so good, but the one from Sonic CD is badass. I don't see the big issue with the design either, Sonic's weight is not going to make or break the game.

In other news:

2na1tep.jpg

It's not that I dislike chubby Sonic, it's that he's become synonymous with good Sonic. Everyone hates green eyed Sonic for little good reason.

If chubby Sonic is in the game, it will be far better received by fans and critics; regardless of game quality.

Edited by SuperLink