Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

I'd love a stage where the Tornado would follow you in the background as you went through the level, and at certain points it'd swoop in close for you to jump on, either to necessarily cross a large gap (a la the Armada idea above), or to reach a secret area or item. Maybe you could 'call' the plane by pressing a button. Also, you'd have to keep up with the Tornado or else it would fly on ahead and you'd have to either catch up again or wait for it to loop and come back. <3 Tornaaaadoooo...

I'd love a stage where the Tornado would follow you in the background as you went through the level, and at certain points it'd swoop in close for you to jump on, either to necessarily cross a large gap (a la the Armada idea above), or to reach a secret area or item. Maybe you could 'call' the plane by pressing a button. Also, you'd have to keep up with the Tornado or else it would fly on ahead and you'd have to either catch up again or wait for it to loop and come back. <3 Tornaaaadoooo...

Oh, kind of a use of 2 and a half D perspective. Neat.^^

Do you mean Super Mario World style, or something else?

Something like that, maybe.

Or maybe having an Act 2A and an Act 2B, depending on which exit you reach in Act 1.

I dunno, I just think it'd be neat to try something other than the static "Zone 1 Act 1, Z1A2, Z2A1, etc etc".

For other characters or other gameplay alternatives, I think I may be one of the few who hopes the alternate gameplay is mandatory. I like to play something else midway the game to break up the flow and not have to play the same type of gameplay throughout. Mandatory changes in gameplay, to me, breaks up the monotony of the game and provides variety; it won't make me want to drop the controller and let it collect dust.
Y'know nothing's stopping you from quitting to the title screen and selecting a different character if you want to mix things up.

Something like that, maybe.

Or maybe having an Act 2A and an Act 2B, depending on which exit you reach in Act 1.

I dunno, I just think it'd be neat to try something other than the static "Zone 1 Act 1, Z1A2, Z2A1, etc etc".

Adding on to your idea they could also have the plot base off different ways you take in the stage, or which stage you choose.

Adding on to your idea they could also have the plot base off different ways you take in the stage, or which stage you choose.

Hmmm, interesting. Not just because of you coming up with that idea, but it just so happens that I came up with an idea very similar to yours some time ago.

Just wanted to say that.

shadow the hedgehog ahum ahum

no i think the idea is bad. and doesnt work. Go from point a to point b with alternating paths. thats what worked.

Edited by Jaouad
  • Bad Quality Post 1

shadow the hedgehog ahum ahum

no i think the idea is bad. and doesnt work. Go from point ato point b with alternating paths. thats what worked.

Come again?O_o

I'm going to laugh so hard at all of you if someone from SEGA comes along to say that Project Needlemouse doesn't exist and was just a social experiment on the nerdiness and neuroticism of the Sonic fanbase XD Bwahaha.

XP Except that you'll be upset too because face it, you like the 2D Games too, Jai, you silly person you!

=O However I can wait for an update. I'm honestly not too excited for this for whatever reason o_O However, Here's hoping for a PSP Release or something. XD I want a cool Sonic game on PSP that isn't Rivals or Genesis Titles.

Edited by Kosuna

Come again?O_o

The guy was saying "Adding on to your idea they could also have the plot base off different ways you take in the stage, or which stage you choose."

shadow the hedgehog had that. I dont think it worked. Or it wasnt implemented well.

I personally like it when there is one way to finish a game. Maybe with a few twists here and there but nothing big. And all it has to be is epic.

Japanese rpg's work that way. One story and everyone finishes the game in the same order. The extras is what makes it unique with the freedom and such.

Hidden stages for example. That could work. Unlockable stages by doing some crazy shit in one of them stages. Finding hidden things to unlock stuff. That is a better idea i think

The guy was saying "Adding on to your idea they could also have the plot base off different ways you take in the stage, or which stage you choose."

shadow the hedgehog had that. I dont think it worked. Or it wasnt implemented well.

I personally like it when there is one way to finish a game. Maybe with a few twists here and there but nothing big. And all it has to be is epic.

Japanese rpg's work that way. One story and everyone finishes the game in the same order. The extras is what makes it unique with the freedom and such.

Hidden stages for example. That could work. Unlockable stages by doing some crazy shit in one of them stages. Finding hidden things to unlock stuff. That is a better idea i think

Oh, okay, that makes sense. I guess if you take non-linear level design too far, it gets confusing.

But the Classic had a lot of that while leading to the same end of the stage.

You start at point A, and continue along a path until you reach branch B and C, and then branch B and D, and then finally point E.

If you make a wrong move on one of the branch paths, you'd be penalized with taking the other branch, so if you fall off of branch B you'll end up at branch C.

Anyhow, I THINK we were talking about bosses. The best bosses are usualy the ones with alot of large/moving parts. That would be, the difference between the bosses of Sonic 1 and 3.

Wasn't that made in the Advance and Rush games?

Except that in the advance, it was always the highest grounds that were better and if you screwed up you'd fall in the lower part of the stage while still having a chance to go back up.

In the Rush game you had all sorts of paths but you could still back track to take the best one and unlike the advance, the highest ground were necessarly the best roads to take.

To me, the most important factor for a boss is that it's creative and interesting to fight rather than just being challenging. The bosses in Rush Adventure and CD are some of my favourites because they're just so quirky: destroying a robot whale from the inside, climbing up a giant pinball machine to get to Eggman's capsule, breathing away a shield made of bubbles... now, granted, most of CD's bosses were pathetically easy, but that's not hard to fix as long as the ideas are there.

I'll admit, I do love quirky bosses. That's another of the problems I had with Advance 2...While every boss was different, almost all of them had forced scrolling, which made fighting them somewhat repetitive and irritating.

I thought that the Metropolis boss from Sonic 2 was rather amusing: Robotnik's craft is surrounded by egg like structures, and each time you hit him, one pops off and turns into a Robotnik shaped balloon.XD

So apparently there's a new 2D Sonic coming out next year

It has a trailer and everything. Basically the Sonic equivalent of mega Man 9.

Given Sega's track record of plan execution, this could make or break Sonic.

Which do you guys think is more likely?

Another notice from the janitors above: Along with stupid flaming, posts that contain any trace of the Sonic Cycle will be deleted on the spot. For god's sake, please do not make an ass out of yourself, and try to have fun talking about the upcoming game instead! -your benevolent god, Jake

Wow! That's some interesting news there! This made my day! After Sonic's been going downhill since after Sonic Adventure 2, I always have been thinking that Sonic Team should just go back to their original roots. This is a huge step for SEGA so let's hope they do great guys! Am I right? Am I right guys? Am I right? Am I right, or am I just right? Right guys?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Wow! That's some interesting news there! This made my day! After Sonic's been going downhill since after Sonic Adventure 2, I always have been thinking that Sonic Team should just go back to their original roots. This is a huge step for SEGA so let's hope they do great guys! Am I right? Am I right guys? Am I right? Am I right, or am I just right? Right guys?

Well, I'm in high spirits regarding this, for what it's worth.:D

:blink: Do mean to tell us that you just found out about this?

Edit:Lol, spelling mistake, (use/us)

Edited by Chaos Walker

:blink: Do mean to tell use that you just found out about this?

He sounds like me. I am die hard sonic fan but ever since I wasted my money on sonic heroes and shadow I haven't bought a sonic game. After being excited for 06 and renting it to find myself disappointed I stopped caring about finding out sonic news every week. Instead it became a good 4-6 month sort of thing to check up on. I remember seeing sonic unleashed announced and watching the first trailer for it. Looked promising but it wasn't something I was going to track religiously, six months later I come back and watch a video and sonic is turning into a werehog. I was kind of proud of myself for not caring about the game in the first place because I knew they were going to mess it up anyways. So this poster probably hasn't been looking out for new sonic updates, because he probably hasn't been as interested in the newer games since SA2B.

• Bad Quality Post 1

:blink: Do mean to tell use that you just found out about this?

Nah, I juss wanted to see where the discussion would go from there. B)

I'm going to laugh so hard at all of you if someone from SEGA comes along to say that Project Needlemouse doesn't exist and was just a social experiment on the nerdiness and neuroticism of the Sonic fanbase XD Bwahaha.

That would be some epic April Fool.

Um, let's see. You know what would rock? Fighting Eggman as the FINAL BOSS and not some other thing!

Not Perfect Chaos

Not Dark Gaia

Not Metal Sonic

Not The Finalhazard

Just Eggman in a giant robot that most likely resides in outer space. That's nostalgia for you! :)

That would be some epic April Fool.

Um, let's see. You know what would rock? Fighting Eggman as the FINAL BOSS and not some other thing!

Not Perfect Chaos

Not Dark Gaia

Not Metal Sonic

Not The Finalhazard

Just Eggman in a giant robot that most likely resides in outer space. That's nostalgia for you! :)

Why not making Metal Sonic the boss right before Eggman like in Sonic 2 tho it was Silver Sonic aaaaaand you had 0 rings....

Or make a fighting race:

• you race him with obstables in your way
  • after a short race, your in some sort of closed space where you fight Metal Sonic non-side scrolling
  • race again
  • last battle
  • last race to finish him with a spin attack before reaching Eggman at the end of the race

After all that then you can fight Eggman 1 on 1.

Just an idea like that but meh... there are *turn on mp3* Endless Possibilities!! on how the last battle(s) will be.

I hate to say it, but I really don't agree with you or anyone else who thinks Sonic Team should revert back to the original 2D roots. If you ask me, reverting back to the 2D roots completely HURTS the Sonic brand. Sonic is about evolution, like everything else. I think Sonic should remain in 3D and keep the 2D games as spin-offs only. As a fan, I want something new. Keep trying new things to keep the fans and main focus -- the millions outside the fanbase -- attracted. Retaining the 2D roots altogether regresses Sonic, nothing more. Personally, the more Sonic deviates away from the 2D roots, the better Sonic can grow. The Classic roots do nothing but only hold the franchise at bay.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 3

(Recent) 2D:

Sonic Advance

Sonic Advance 2

Sonic Advance 3

Sonic Rush

Sonic Rush Adventure

Sonic Rivals

Sonic Rivals 2

Needlemouse

3D:

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Heroes

Shadow

Sonic the Hedgehog

Secret Rings

Sonic Unleashed

Black Knight

While the recent 2D games aren't seen to be the same as the Megadrive games, Sega probably think of these as the 2D 'style' alongside them.

Including this game under 2D, it's eight for eight. They certainly aren't going to stop making either style, and it doesn't look like they favour one side over the other.

The only reason I think they're making a 2D game for the home consoles isn't to say 'OMG NO MORE 3D'. It's because the whole '2D is for underpowered systems and handhelds only' thing seems to be lifting.

Either way, there's no point going on and on about how the games should/shouldn't switch focus from one style to another because it has never been that way to begin with.

I've waited a long time for the 100th page to post my toughts on PN.

What I want of P.N.?

Its quite simple, I want it to be like the Genesis, Master system and Mega drive era:

1)

• To be fun
  • To have lots of replay value
  • Eggman in all of the bosses
  • Physic/pinball mechanic in the game
  • Creative, challenging and original special stages to gather the chaos emerald
  • Having the chance to play as super sonic in the levels after we collect all of the chaos emeralds
  • If we can play as other character, they must be optional and not forced
  • To have mini-bosses in the levels like in S3&K
  • Insta-shield or not but if their here, i'll be happy
  • Different character = different paths but the begining and the end of each levels are the same
  • Mini-game when hitting a ring post like in S3&K
  • Play with the character post by jumping on it (when you finish a stage)
  • 10 rings box only, not the (?) box
  • Choose between Tails following Sonic or not in the game
  • No monster of the week please?
  • Can we work our asses to go on the loops please?
  • Spin dash and no Sonic boost from SR/SRA thanks but like in SCD okay
  • A-N-I-M-A-L robots only, thanks

2)

But... to have 3D model character while everything else is in 2D? Hmmm good question, I still don't know how I'll react to it... SRA did a pretty good job at making some 3D elements and 3d characters while keeping everything else 2D so if they do almost the same thing for P.N. I won't mind much. But considering that this game is really for the retro fans, having some 3D elements is on the low of being shown but we aren't 100% sure of that.

3)

Story wise? not caring at all, I want to play and not watch a movie or cut-scenes in 2D (unlike Sonic OVA). All I want to know of the game, is that Eggman is causing shit again by robotizing animals, being a threath to the world and Sonic must stop his evil doings, final. The rest, for me, is unecesary, I don't know for you guys, you might enjoy having a cool and entertaining story and I got nothing against it. But if the story is stopping me of playing from time to time to force me to watch it, even if I can skip it, I won't be amused at all.

1)I like most of the Ideas. But I'd like one character battle.

2) I thougt Sonic Rush did it better than SRA. SRA had ugly BG's, in my opinion. I'd rather have it like the Genesis games.

3) I want a bit more than that. Around the lines of S3&K. It had a good story, but it didn't show it all too much.

This makes me think, tho', what a Sonic game would be like with multiple exits (and entrances?). It'd need a lot more levels than usual to make it work, I'd think, but it'd certainly add some new life to exploring...

Sounds like Shadow the Hedgehog. :-/