Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

HOLAS:

Sounds like Shadow the Hedgehog. :-/

Sounds like Super Mario World :-)

At least if we consider this:

3) I want a bit more than that. Around the lines of S3&K. It had a good story, but it didn't show it all too much.

I hate to say it, but I really don't agree with you or anyone else who thinks Sonic Team should revert back to the original 2D roots. If you ask me, reverting back to the 2D roots completely HURTS the Sonic brand.

It's just for one game. Lighten up. They're going to keep doing 3D no matter what.

But there's nothing wrong with delivering a 2D game every once in a while, or even splitting things up with a 2D game then a 3D game or a fusion of the two.

Sonic Team knows alot about the fanbase than we think they do. They know there are a lot of people who like 3D Sonic just as much as there are folks who like 2D Sonic, so I don't think we have to worry about them favoring one over the other.

As a fan, I want something new. Keep trying new things to keep the fans and main focus -- the millions outside the fanbase -- attracted.

As much as I want something new, there is a difference between adding a unique, fresh, and enjoyable idea and jumping off the cliff grabing anything you can before hitting the ground, and Sonic Team have been doing more of the latter than the former.

I'm the kind of person who sees potential in ideas, and that if that idea goes wrong it's not necessarily because it was a bad idea, but because you fucked up on something somewhere. But while that's part of my belief, I also believe there is a point where you can go too far in coming up with ideas that make the series into something else it wasn't made for.

Retaining the 2D roots altogether regresses Sonic, nothing more. Personally, the more Sonic deviates away from the 2D roots, the better Sonic can grow. The Classic roots do nothing but only hold the franchise at bay.

Now if I were to play Devil's Advocate, I'd say that retaining the 2D roots is what builds Sonic. It is what he started with, granted that was likely due to limitations with 3D at the time. But 2D doesn't hold anything down, and the Classic roots is what gave Sonic his idenity. Throwing that away for something new is like throwing away a brown suit in favor of a grey one because you don't like the color. Of course it could work the other way, but 2D and 3D are essentially two good looking suits with some differences.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

1)I like most of the Ideas. But I'd like one character battle.

2) I thougt Sonic Rush did it better than SRA. SRA had ugly BG's, in my opinion. I'd rather have it like the Genesis games.

3) I want a bit more than that. Around the lines of S3&K. It had a good story, but it didn't show it all too much.

1) Well yeah I could have added that but I didn't think of it.

2) Hmmm well it all depends on the environment for both Rush games of course the BG of ocean palace rocks everything for me but thats one of the Rush when there are some of SRA that I liked like the Babylon Sky one. For that matter, I think of it more like a personal preference cause not everyone is gonna agree that SRA or SR BG was better then the other.

3) Yes of course it's just that I don't want to wait too long and at the bad place for a mini scene;

• S1 had no scene.
  • S2 only had the end and it varied wheater you had the chaos emeralds or not.
  • S3&K had mini scenes BEFORE and AFTER you have done a stage not all but at some parts.

S3&K had the best lenght of scene that tells you exactly whats going on while being short.

I hate to say it, but I really don't agree with you or anyone else who thinks Sonic Team should revert back to the original 2D roots. If you ask me, reverting back to the 2D roots completely HURTS the Sonic brand. Sonic is about evolution, like everything else. I think Sonic should remain in 3D and keep the 2D games as spin-offs only. As a fan, I want something new. Keep trying new things to keep the fans and main focus -- the millions outside the fanbase -- attracted. Retaining the 2D roots altogether regresses Sonic, nothing more. Personally, the more Sonic deviates away from the 2D roots, the better Sonic can grow. The Classic roots do nothing but only hold the franchise at bay.

I think the Sonic brand has already been hurt, regardless if they even have to go back to their roots. And I think Sonic could equally do well in 2D as well as 3D with the right qualities of work put into it. SEGA's always been trying something new, especially with adding new characters and just adding more and more. I like to think of this as starting fresh. Sonic's being bashed up the ass already as is.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Not sure if this has been posted, it's video interview with a guy from Sega in france, it has an english voiceover. He goes on to talk about SEGA's status in the industry, the dreamcast and where they are now with the Sonic series. He talks about Unleashed and the reviewer response, they still want to please the hardcore crowd and they believe that with Project Needlemouse it will please the nostalgic fanbase.

http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=11166

Sorry if posted but I don't have time to cycle through all this shit.

But for the most part I find it comforting that they have recognized the response to certain aspects of Sonic Unleashed and they still want to please the hardcore audiences with their games. The Sonic discussion begins at the end of the video but either way I'd look at all of it, some interesting stuff. Kinda makes me feel sympathetic towards SEGA.

Edited by silencer226

Not sure if this has been posted, it's video interview with a guy from Sega in france, it has an english voiceover. He goes on to talk about SEGA's status in the industry, the dreamcast and where they are now with the Sonic series. He talks about Unleashed and the reviewer response, they still want to please the hardcore crowd and they believe that with Project Needlemouse it will please the nostalgic fanbase.

http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=11166

Sorry if posted but I don't have time to cycle through all this shit.

But for the most part I find it comforting that they have recognized the response to certain aspects of Sonic Unleashed and they still want to please the hardcore audiences with their games. The Sonic discussion begins at the end of the video but either way I'd look at all of it, some interesting stuff. Kinda makes me feel sympathetic towards SEGA.

Wow, really? Kombo's just going to re upload that video just like that? http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bt/benzaie/specials/12886-intsega <--- video's original location.

And I'd also like to mention that this guy's bit about Sonic is basically the company standard one that we got from Mike Hayes a few months ago. I wouldn't read too much into it at this point, and remember, talk is cheap.

Wow, really? Kombo's just going to re upload that video just like that? http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bt/benzaie/specials/12886-intsega <--- video's original location.

And I'd also like to mention that this guy's bit about Sonic is basically the company standard one that we got from Mike Hayes a few months ago. I wouldn't read too much into it at this point, and remember, talk is cheap.

I know grain of salt, but hopefully they can make something without embarrassing themselves this time. And I had no idea they took that video, I just went on google news and typed in project needlemouse. I'm just growing impatient, we haven't heard much of anything about this game so any mention of it gets my attention, it's just Sonic come on show us something if you've got it. Until then all we can do is speculate and that's so boring.

Edited by silencer226

Meh, when Sega are ready to show us something they'll show us. I'm actually kinda happy to see Sega keep tight lipped about a Sonic game for once. It most likely won't last much longer though. I think they went overboard with SU info to be honest. First there was the whole leak thing, then they released a trailer for every single level in the game. I'd actually like to see maybe one or two trailers for PN and then just be surprised by the actual game.

Meh, when Sega are ready to show us something they'll show us. I'm actually kinda happy to see Sega keep tight lipped about a Sonic game for once. It most likely won't last much longer though. I think they went overboard with SU info to be honest. First there was the whole leak thing, then they released a trailer for every single level in the game. I'd actually like to see maybe one or two trailers for PN and then just be surprised by the actual game.

I still think they leaked that shit on purpose to build hype, the entire fanbase flipped when that shit leaked. But whatever hopefully that bold "Project needlemouse is for the nostalgic fans" statement holds some truth.

I'm hoping whatever they're doing they treat it with care (unlike like microsoft who cancelled Kameo 2... fuckers).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Keeping info from the fans does, in my opinion, bring more hype to the game. But like anybody else it would be nice see more on the game. Even if it's just screens.

Edited by A.C.193

I do feel it's about time for at least another tiny taster of a teaser trailer. Something small yet chewy for us to get our teeth into for the next 100 pages >_>

Should we be worried that the game will be released in 2010? Doesn't anyone else feel like that could be a little soon? Maybe it's just me, bet ever since 06 i've been an little paranoid about how long a game has been in development.

Doe we know when in 2010? Winter 2010 is another whole year away, and they may have been working on this for some time...

I think they pretty much pumped out the classic games every year or two. If this game truly is in the style of the classics then it shouldn't need a hefty development time. I think Sonic 1 was 1991, Sonic 2 1992, Sonic 3 1994, S&K also 1994, but I could be completely wrong. :/

Edited by speedfreak

Doe we know when in 2010? Winter 2010 is another whole year away, and they may have been working on this for some time...

That does make me feel a little better, but not too much. :mellow:

I think they pretty much pumped out the classic games every year or two.

Would the amount of content of S3&K still be considered as much today? Or has there been a sort of quality/content inflation in games over time? If so, then we would expect more than before, no? Of course I could be wrong, as I often am.

It really depends on what type of game this is. If it's a $50-$60 retail release then I'm sure a lot of people would feel pretty ripped off by a game with S&K content. However if it's a reasonably priced downloadable (or even retail) game I think people would be blown away if it reached S&K in content and quality.

Edit: I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'd pay full retail price for a pretty looking game with S&K levels of content and quality and something like a stage maker. Really if they could pump out the classic games every year or so I don't see how having the stuff I listed in a game with a year plus development time should be much of a problem. Then again what do I know. *shrug*

Edited by speedfreak

If S3&K was released today, with online scores, online multiplayer, time trial ghost data, and other basic modern features, you could release it full price as a new game on a handheld system. I'm that confident S3&K is good.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Honestly, you really wouldn't even need all that for a handheld release. I don't think most people expect too much from handheld games.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Should we be worried that the game will be released in 2010?
Sonic games tend to have development spans that criss-cross into each other - it's easily possible that Needlemouse has been in development long before the teaser was released. Some people tend to think Unleashed had a short dev span too, but it was actually being made for a good 1-2 years longer than most people gave it credit for (of course, someone will have to refresh my memory on that).

Honestly, you really wouldn't even need all that for a handheld release. I don't think most people expect too much from handheld games.

Hmm maybe but I'd pay full price for S3&K. :P Its just that good of a games, perfect 10/10. (it would be better if they revamped the graphics and music)

Sonic games tend to have development spans that criss-cross into each other - it's easily possible that Needlemouse has been in development long before the teaser was released. Some people tend to think Unleashed had a short dev span too, but it was actually being made for a good 1-2 years longer than most people gave it credit for (of course, someone will have to refresh my memory on that).

The biggest hurdle with Unleashed was creating the Hedgehog Engine which allegedly had been worked with since 2005. Considering it was mostly developed with the intent to be used in a Sonic game, we could technically say that Unleashed was in development for a good three years.

Hmm maybe but I'd pay full price for S3&K. :P Its just that good of a games, perfect 10/10. (it would be better if they revamped the graphics and music)

Nahh, I think its fine how it is. They should just correct Knuckles socks.

I wouldn't want the game looking like Rivals or Unleashed.

sonic-620x.jpg

Dear SEGA...

III'M WAAIIITIINNNGGGG.

Eh... *ahem*

Anyway... do you think this game has the potential to rival New Super Mario Bros? Like the good ol' days? I hope it does.

Edited by Indigo Dude

Well it won't have co-op. I mean sure it sort of had it back in Sonic 2, but you get going so fast in Sonic games that it becomes entirely too easy to ditch your partner. Anyway if they stick to the classic Sonic formula (pinball physics, great level design, great boss fights, secrets, speed AND platforming, etc.) and have the game look nice with a constantly locked framerate, then I'd say it could go head to head with Mario. I've always liked classic Sonic more then classic Mario to be honest. It all depends on Sega. Do they still have what it takes to make a game of classic Sonic quality? Sure the quality of recent Sonic titles has been questionable, but they really haven't even tried to deliver a classic style Sonic game since S&K.