Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

I know this might sound horribly biased considering my stance on NSMB but from what I've seen, NSMB doesn't even look that hard to overthrow. It's just too... Simple, if not lazy judging by the level design and screenshots shown due to the maxed out Y Axis, which so happens to be the greatest sin comitted by platformers. For me it just looks too much like an average ordinary "generic" Nintendo platformer that they could practically pump out while in their sleep.

Although seeing how NSMB Wii mirrors an amalgamut of the 8-Bit Mario era while Needlemouse is meant to mirror the old Genesis Sonic, I don't think there's much to worry about. Sonic on the Genesis crushed Mario in the third/fourth gen console wars, atleast imo. There's a shitload of room for greatness if the old-school Sonic is pulled off right.

Edited by The Psychosomantic

That's a pretty big "if" though. Like I said Sega really haven't ever tried a retro Sonic since the classics. IF they can replicate what made the classics so great then I would agree that PN could 1UP NSMBW. If they end up making something like the Advance games or Sonic Rush then I wouldn't say it's anywhere near NSMBW, even though I did like the Advance and Rush series.

I think NSMBW looks fantastic by the way. I don't think Sega will be able to top NSMBW IMO, but I'd love to be wrong.

There's no way in hell Needlemouse will top NSMBWii in terms of sales, everybody and their mum (Literally, my mom wants to buy it) are going to be buying that game. It might be viewed as superior in many people's eyes, however. I for one, prefer classic Sonic to classic Mario, and if this replicates what made Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles great then this'll be the superior game in my eyes.

Well sure Mario will sell more. However if this is a return to form for Sonic I think a lot of people who left the series long ago might just be willing to give the Hedgehog another go. Assuming the game is actually good I'm sure word of mouth will get PN a lot of sales. Not that more sales means a better game any way though.

If handled right I believe PN could top NSMBW, but I don't have much faith that it will be handled right. I guess I keep waiting to see.

Sorry to derail a bit, but while on the topic of Sonic game sales I heard SBK did very poorly compared to other Sonic games. Anyone know if this is true?

Edited by speedfreak

Well sure Mario will sell more. However if this is a return to form for Sonic I think a lot of people who left the series long ago might just be willing to give the Hedgehog another go. Assuming the game is actually good I'm sure word of mouth will get PN a lot of sales. Not that more sales means a better game any way though.

If handled right I believe PN could top NSMBW, but I don't have much faith that it will be handled right. I guess I keep waiting to see.

Sorry to derail a bit, but while on the topic of Sonic game sales I heard SBK did very poorly compared to other Sonic games. Anyone know if this is true?

Yeah, it bombed. MadWorld too, it was a bad year start for Sega.

Unleashed went above the two-million mark all platforms combined though.

Also, my post wasn't aimed towards sales. Ofcourse NSMB Wii will top it in that, but gameplay is a completely different story.

Edited by The Psychosomantic

Oh, I've never been able to do them either. And I've been trying for 16 years.

Clearly, I am a competent gamer.

The last time I beat the game, on my good old genesis, I'd actually managed to collect every chaos emerald and beat the game. I shit bricks.

I still need to get all the chaos emeralds in Sonic 2, but those special stages are really hard. Special stages in Sonic 3D blast (genesis and saturn) were great, but I intentionally didn't collect them all when I played through the game because the game was boring as well, thanks to level select I knew the final boss was a bitch, and I just wanted to be able to say I beat the game so I'd never feel the need to play it again. Also, Sonic CD special stages are hard as hell. Sonic 3&K was perfect balance, in my opinion.

The last time I beat the game, on my good old genesis, I'd actually managed to collect every chaos emerald and beat the game. I shit bricks.

I still need to get all the chaos emeralds in Sonic 2, but those special stages are really hard. Special stages in Sonic 3D blast (genesis and saturn) were great, but I intentionally didn't collect them all when I played through the game because the game was boring as well, thanks to level select I knew the final boss was a bitch, and I just wanted to be able to say I beat the game so I'd never feel the need to play it again. Also, Sonic CD special stages are hard as hell. Sonic 3&K was perfect balance, in my opinion.

If you want to collect all the emeralds on 2 then you should play without tails, he has a habit of smacking his face into bombs.

Well when I come to see this topic, I'll know when there's new info when the topic spontaneously accumulates 20 more pages in under a minute.

More discussion on a game that has nothing but a teaser trailer? Sigh....

SEGA! GIVE US SOMETHING! WE'RE SORRY FOR THE SONIC UNLEASHED LEAK LAST YEAR!

Btw, when it comes to how this game will look, I am honestly hoping for something of this quality:

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs31/f/2008/210/4/4/Green_Hill_Zone_by_Orioto.jpg

• Bad Quality Post 1

Btw, when it comes to how this game will look, I am honestly hoping for something of this quality:

No thanks. If this has any chance of living up to the so called retro/nostalgic/classic throwback it claims to be then I want fantasy, surrealism and good old school looking levels, no realism at all.

People keep linking that person's art saying 'Project Needlemouse should be like this!' :\ I like the picture and the other ones like it but that's it. I like them just as pictures.

If there was a full game that looked like that I really wouldn't like it.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I don't even like it as a picture. It's not terrible work, but the actual Sonic parts don't feel like they fit at all, and though the background is pretty, it's not the sort of thing that would excite me in a video game, especially not a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

If you don't like it, you're free to ignore the topic as you please. This goes for everybody who wants to complain about the topic or its discussion. Believe it or not, there are still people who want to speculate about it, so there's no reason to care.

http://fc08.devianta...e_by_Orioto.jpg

Ugh.. I think thats really ugly. I seriously understand why so many people like it. It looks nothing like a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I agree with you. That picture is way too... "LIGHT BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM" for me to find it cool. =( Sorry original artist.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I agree with you. That picture is way too... "LIGHT BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM" for me to find it cool. =( Sorry original artist.

Honestly, this is a big enough problem with (or should I say "feature of") most HD games these days it's no wonder that picture's been printed in magazines and all sorts. I can appreciate the effort put into it and as a piece of art it's quite nice - but more then ten minutes of that in motion and my eyes would be screaming in agony.

It's something that the director of Epic Mickey touched on when asked why he took the game to the Wii - and something I quite agreed with was that there's nothing wrong with normal looking games. They can still have brilliant art direction and execution without having to shoehorn in every lighting effect under the sun, and I hope Needlemouse will fit this mold. I want it to look nice, whether that be in a completely 2D hand-drawn/sprite-based type deal or a 2.5D type deal - but it doesn't need to push the console to its limits to do that.

Unleashed was a gorgeous looking game, so provided it's not a completely different team working on this with a completely different direction - I don't think it's all too likely we'll see anything quite that nuts.

Edited by Tombi

Your opinion about the picture is your opinion and I'm not going to change that, but there's no way you can't see this becoming a Sonic game. If Project Needlemouse was on the PS3, this is probably how it would look, if they were to put a retro Sonic game with high definition on the PS3.

Not necessarily, because high-definition doesn't always equate super realistic detail. It merely means the image is in a higher resolution and is thus clearer, not that it looks like a photograph; I mean, if you broadcast an old Hanna-Barbara Scooby cartoon in hi-def, Scooby's not suddenly going to look like this, and neither would Needlemouse on the PS3 while the Wii version gets stuck with Genesis-level graphics or something, if that's what you're implying. Assuming this thing is multiplatform, there's a much greater chance that all versions will look the same.

Edited by Nepenthe

I hope it's a full 2.5D, like the parts in Unleashed. I was thrilled with Unleashed and was deeply satisfied with it (yes, including Werehog), so a game fully like that would win big with me.

Not necessarily, because high-definition doesn't always equate super realistic detail. It merely means the image is in a higher resolution and is thus clearer, not that it looks like a photograph; I mean, if you broadcast an old Hanna-Barbara Scooby cartoon in hi-def, Scooby's not suddenly going to look like this, and neither would Needlemouse on the PS3 while the Wii version gets stuck with Genesis-level graphics or something, if that's what you're implying. Assuming this thing is multiplatform, there's a much greater chance that all versions will look the same.

Expecting the thereotical Wii version to look like the PS3 version is unrealistic.

A 2D game going 3D game is different from a HD 2D game.

Also, I never said that the Wii wouldn't have a nice look to it, but it's not comparable to the PS3.

Edited by A.C.193

It's not hard to imagine that a 2D game won't be pushing any system's boundaries, including the Wii's, especially if there's a possibility that the game will utilize old-school pixel art. Really, I can honestly see this game looking exactly the same across all platforms, minus maybe some arbitrary resolution niggles or something that the casual gamer like me would never notice.

Edited by Nepenthe

It's not hard to imagine that a 2D game won't be pushing any system's boundaries, including the Wii's, especially if there's a possibility that the game will utilize old-school pixel art. Really, I can honestly see this game looking exactly the same across all platforms, minus maybe some arbitrary resolution niggles or something that the casual gamer like me would never notice.

Having a 2D Wii game would require completely different sprites to the HD version.

A 3D Wii game, similarly would require completely differant characters models, textures, etc.

They will not look the same. I'm not beeing an asshole either, it's just how it is. The wii version will be noticeably worse.

I completely forgot that the Wii doesn't even support high-definition in the first place. I'm dumb. Sorry, carry on.

Your opinion about the picture is your opinion and I'm not going to change that, but there's no way you can't see this becoming a Sonic game. If Project Needlemouse was on the PS3, this is probably how it would look, if they were to put a retro Sonic game with high definition on the PS3.

Of course you can see it not becoming a Sonic game. It doesn't look anything like a Sonic games has looked or should look. I don't think we'll get a Sonic looking like this ever.

• Thumbs Up 1