Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Have we really reached a point where there's nothing to talk about? I guess 100 pages finally exhausted that trailer. Well let's see if we can't start something up again, eh?

How many levels is this game going to need to please you? Most Sonic games these days have about 7 unique levels, each with 2 acts. S3&K had about 14 unique levels with 2 acts. And each act was slightly unique as well. If there aren't at least 10 different levels I am going to be disapointed.

(On the side, they better be called "____ zone" again, or I shall be disapointed)

Have we really reached a point where there's nothing to talk about? I guess 100 pages finally exhausted that trailer. Well let's see if we can't start something up again, eh?

How many levels is this game going to need to please you? Most Sonic games these days have about 7 unique levels, each with 2 acts. S3&K had about 14 unique levels with 2 acts. And each act was slightly unique as well. If there aren't at least 10 different levels I am going to be disapointed.

(On the side, they better be called "____ zone" again, or I shall be disapointed)

Definitely has to be more than 7 levels. I never felt satisified with any of the recent portable titles with their 7 level count. 2 acts each is also a mandatory for me. I want 2 acts because I remember playing Sonic Advance 3 with its 3 act count and could not distinguish which act I was playing. The slightly different music remixes never helped. So 3 acts is too much. 2 is just enough that you can actually identify which act you're playing.

And I agree. There definitely isn't much to discuss when all we got so far is a teaser. The topic's degenerated into generic chatter about what people want from a future 2D Sonic game, which doesn't need Project Needlemouse to fuel.

Edited by Yong

Anyone else getting really impatient? It's been two months since the teaser. Why even bother releasing it that early? It gets to a point where it's no longer fun to speculate. :(

Maybe I'm just used to the way Sonic games are USUALLY announced, and this was the way it would've been for Sonic Unleashed and all the others if they hadn't been leaked. I liked the leaks better...

(On the side, they better be called "____ zone" again, or I shall be disappointed)

THIS. Oh so hard.

Also, Pinball physics, Sonic, Tails, and knuckles, and so on.

THIS. Oh so hard.

Also, Pinball physics, Sonic, Tails, and knuckles, and so on.

I hope you people realise that in the RIVALS everything is visually like the classics. The only thing that isn't is the character design style. Zone, badniks and the lot.

Rivals is close, but not quite, as it's more of a racing game then a pure Sonic game.

Still quite good, though.

The Rivals games are very much like the classics (moreso Sonic 1 than anything else) but with the racing mechanic (and very sloppy physics). Playing Rivals 2 on free play feels like playing something that was designed to be a true to form successor to the old games. But no, Takashi Iizuka had to get his grubby mits on it.

*weeps for what could have been*

Oh, Sonic Lightning. ='(

They were the best example of how wonderful the trippy and unrealistic stages don't have to be the 'same old', even more so than Heroes. Blue Coast Zone was Water Palace in 3D with a LOT of reimagination and Crystal Mountain Zone was a nice take on the typical ice stage. They were a tad more creative that what we've seen in Advance 1, 2, 3 and Rush. I'd like to see something on their level (which includes the classic) of creativity for this game.

Edited by Blue Blood

Such a shame that we got rivals instead of a proper 2D platform game. If only because "Sonic Lightning" Is a totally awesome name, never mind that it probably would have been a brilliant game.

No- that is incredibly bare bones and empty. If the game was rendered in 3D the I would much rather something like

The levels extend on all 3 axis' instead of just 2 and the scenery is different everywhere. And the details in those background... wow. There's a lot to look at. This is unlike Unleashed for the most part with it's simple backgrounds and rare locational changes.

Ultimately though, I want the whole thing in 2D.

The Rivals games were boring as hell (and playing levels without anyone to race against was even more boring), and I cannot fathom how they'd be worthy successors to the classics any more than the Rush games.

Edited by The Sniper

Of course you can see it not becoming a Sonic game. It doesn't look anything like a Sonic games has looked or should look. I don't think we'll get a Sonic looking like this ever.

I don't know if you misinterpret what I said or not, but I was saying I could see that picture as a Sonic game. Specially if it played on the PS3 or X360. Even if it doesn't work out to well on those systems, it probably would work well on the next Sony/Microsoft systems.

No- that is incredibly bare bones and empty. If the game was rendered in 3D the I would much rather something like

The levels extend on all 3 axis' instead of just 2 and the scenery is different everywhere. And the details in those background... wow. There's a lot to look at. This is unlike Unleashed for the most part with it's simple backgrounds and rare locational changes.

Ultimately though, I want the whole thing in 2D.

When looking at Sonic Rivals closely it looks like they used that gameplay for Sonic Unleash, they just expound more when it came to Sonic Unleash.

and playing levels without anyone to race against was even more boring

Linear levels meant for racing, and thus lacking any exploration value? Yeah, that would probably be boring. Perhaps backgrounds, but in terms of level design, there is no succesing going on.

Edited by Chaos Walker

Linear levels meant for racing, and thus lacking any exploration value? Yeah, that would probably be boring. Perhaps backgrounds, but in terms of level design, the is no succesing going on.

Pretty much, yeah. The last levels of the Rivals games were played without anyone to race against. The only interesting thing about the games themelves were the races, the level designs were just "meh" at best.

The point was that the Rivals games have good aesthetics, not a suggestion that Needlemouse should play like them. I'm not sure that anyone would argue that.

...on a vaguely-related point, though, what about multiplayer? Anyone got any arguments for or against certain modes? For my part, I've barely ever touched the classic multiplayer, even though my first-ever Sonic experience was playing split-screen Sonic 2. It just didn't interest me all that much.

I remember Sonic 3 had a very disapointing multiplayer mode compared to Sonic 2. Splitscreen is easier to look at than pigmy sprites. And the level design for the mulitplayer levels was... frustrating. Or was that just because I was like 8 years old? I only remeber kind of hating it and so I havn't touched it since then, even though I play the game several times a year, every year. I think SA2B had the best mulitiplayer mode of any Sonic game so far, but unfortunately that method seems a little impossible with needlemouse, seeing as the game will (should) have only one gameplay style. Though I suppose they could do something like they did in SH. And of course online play will always be wanted.

The point was that the Rivals games have good aesthetics, not a suggestion that Needlemouse should play like them. I'm not sure that anyone would argue that.

...on a vaguely-related point, though, what about multiplayer? Anyone got any arguments for or against certain modes? For my part, I've barely ever touched the classic multiplayer, even though my first-ever Sonic experience was playing split-screen Sonic 2. It just didn't interest me all that much.

I don't even touch the multiplayer in Sonic Rush, and Rush Adventure has Wifi. I would not be sad if a new 2D Sonic game didn't have multiplayer.

Basic "race to the finish" multiplayer works, but it's hardly required. Co-op multiplayer (aka "Tails following Sonic") would be a nice option to have, but it doesn't really work all that great considering the speed and the separate paths.

Really, Sonic's never been that great with multiplayer. I wouldn't mind if this game went pure single player...

Really, Sonic's never been that great with multiplayer. I wouldn't mind if this game went pure single player...

Take that back. Sonic Rush's multiplayer is phenomenal (jeez, could I heap anymore praise on that title? :P ).

I'll agree and say I would like to see a race to the finish mode. It would probably be pretty easy to integrate and would be a nice homage. The ability to control Tails as player 2 is a must though, if only for the nostalgia.

Giving the player access to a "break the game infinite lives" Tails would also be an excuse to up the difficulty of the game a few notches, which is always welcome by me.

I wonder, is the game going to be 16 bit like, or is it going to have 2D graphics, like wario land shake it, and a boy and his blob for the wii?

It's HD. 16bit games aren't HD.

You can have pixels in HD. It just won't look as pretty as hand-drawn.

Would using the Hedgehog engine for this game work? Imagine seeing a classic Sonic style zone but with the graphical power of the hedgehog engine. Wouldn't that be something?

Plus, the engine can already handle 2D gameplay, as seen in Sonic Unleashed. It's just a matter of tweaking the gameplay a little to make it more in style with the classic games.

Besides, it's seems a shame to build an entirely new engine from the ground up for use on just one game.

The Hedgehog Engine is a graphics engine not a gameplay engine. And don't worry, it will definitely be used in the next big Sonic game =)