Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

You can have pixels in HD. It just won't look as pretty as hand-drawn.

No duh. However, a 16bit game with a high resolution and refresh rate would not be truly HD.

No duh. However, a 16bit game with a high resolution and refresh rate would not be truly HD.

You can make a game that's not actually 16-bit look 16-bit.

You can make a game that's not actually 16-bit look 16-bit.

I don't quite understand what you mean here. Got an example?

I don't quite understand what you mean here. Got an example?

Super Paper Mario. Just make the images look 16-bit and blocky instead of drawn. Just draw them that way.

Super Paper Mario looks 16bit? Uh, no. Visually it's PM:TTYD but without the 3D (most of the time). I think what you mean is tile based.

Super Paper Mario looks 16bit? Uh, no. Visually it's PM:TTYD but without the 3D (most of the time). I think what you mean is tile based.

facepalm.jpg

I didn't say it was 16-bit. I MEANT to say, design it to be 2D like Paper Mario, but make the "models" look 16-bit. Just made out of blocks (pixels)

In essence...

Sonic2BetaSprite2--article_image.jpg

VECTORIZE THIS.

I didn't say it was 16-bit. I MEANT to say, design it to be 2D like Paper Mario, but make the "models" look 16-bit. Just made out of blocks (pixels)

In essence...

VECTORIZE THIS.

I didn't say you said it was 16bit. Do you mean something like this? Because it still doesn't look 16bit, rather HD sprites. To get a 16bit style you would need the limited colours at the VERY least.

soniconcpplatformqo4.png

You're still making no sense (to me at least).

Edited by Blue Blood

facepalm.jpg

In essence...

Sonic2BetaSprite2--article_image.jpg

VECTORIZE THIS.

That is a horrible example... if you mean the characters should look like THAT...... that would look horrible. I think hand drawn with better than decent animation fits beat now for HD. Not attacking you...I'm just throwing my 2 cents out there. Can I throw a buck instead next time? Because who really carries JUST 2 cents? =(

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

He means true 16 bit can only be drawn in that blocky style, as it is 16-bit. A fake HD 16-bit would be built in pixel blocks, but would have the capability of smooth lines. It's like they intentionally limit themselves to appear to be retro. For example: Mega Man 9

• Thumbs Up 1

That is a horrible example... if you mean the characters should look like THAT...... that would look horrible. I think hand drawn with better than decent animation fits beat now for HD. Not attacking you...I'm just throwing my 2 cents out there. Can I throw a buck instead next time? Because who really carries JUST 2 cents? =(

I'm not suggesting they do that. I never have. I'm just saying it's a possibility.

He means true 16 bit can only be drawn in that blocky style, as it is 16-bit. A fake HD 16-bit would be built in pixel blocks, but would have the capability of smooth lines. It's like they intentionally limit themselves to appear to be retro. For example: Mega Man 9

What this guy said.

Edited by Indigo Dude

If Doc Eggmans example of MM9 is correct, then yeah it is technically HD, but it would generally be called 8bit because of the graphical style.

If Doc Eggmans example of MM9 is correct, then yeah it is technically HD, but it would generally be called 8bit because of the graphical style.

THAT IS WHAT I'M SAYING.

That would be lame. You don't make an HD game and then reduce it to 16bits. WHY do that to HD =O!!!!! WHHHHHHHHHHY OMG!!! NOO.

That would be lame. You don't make an HD game and then reduce it to 16bits. WHY do that to HD =O!!!!! WHHHHHHHHHHY OMG!!! NOO.

The answer is if they're smart, they won't. If they do, they better add some HD special effects to those environments.

The answer is if they're smart, they won't. If they do, they better add some HD special effects to those environments.

I hope they are smart then. but then again.... it's not looking to good. =O

• Bad Quality Post 1

THAT IS WHAT I'M SAYING.

Eeesh, calm down. I posted at the same you edited and clarified what you meant. Crikey dude.

It would be lame to see this game as oh of the example you and I talked about. One is Sonic 2: Stretched Edition and the other Sonic 2: Gradient Edition. Neither would feel particularly special or unique.

I hope they are smart then. but then again.... it's not looking to good. =O

It's not looking like anything, really. All we have is that one trailer.

Eeesh, calm down. I posted at the same you edited and clarified what you meant. Crikey dude.

My bad. I get kind of cranky with this stuff. I need to take another break soon. =_=

Edited by Indigo Dude

It's not looking like anything, really. All we have is that one trailer.

My bad. I get kind of cranky with this stuff. I need to take another break soon. =_=

True it isn't anything right now. =O!!!!! It's air.. if that. I honestly don't know what to hope for tho. I'm bored with classic gameplay and style... I'm not to fond of unleashed, and we DON'T talk about Sonic 2006. I remember I used to defend that game too. T.T The fuck's wrong with me. D:

Having a 2D Wii game would require completely different sprites to the HD version.

A 3D Wii game, similarly would require completely differant characters models, textures, etc.

They will not look the same. I'm not beeing an asshole either, it's just how it is. The wii version will be noticeably worse.

I don't get this, why wouldn't a Wii version look exactly the same if it's 100% 2D?

I mean just scale-down everything, hell upload sites like Imageshack do this very thing. And they could add nice lighting effects in either version like Puyo Puyo 7 Wii:

5117-wmkDGL.jpg

Why do people get the idea that the Wii can't share the same sprites with the HD platforms? Hell Muramasa was drawn in very high-res, and then scaled-down for Wii.

If this game is 2.5D, then of course the Wii version would have many differences on a technical level.

Why do people get the idea that the Wii can't share the same sprites with the HD platforms? Hell Muramasa was drawn in very high-res, and then scaled-down for Wii.

Does Muramasa have the mad slowdown that Odin Sphere did using that method?

Scaling down would look like ass, like Blazblue for PSP and if done via the console would run like ass, I just can't see it as being practical.

I also don't see the point of advertising as game as being HD if you're putting it on the wii.

soniconcpplatformqo4.png

^^This please. :) That is how I'd like to see Project Needlemouse! Old school Sonic looking, all surreal-like but still smooth and nice looking like HD. Something like Super Paper Mario or Wario shake it thingy. ie: nice looking but not "OMG wow looks like real life"

Sonic 06 broke 1 million on the 360.

Didn't it take an extraordinarilly long time to do that? It practically bombed when it was first released, while Secret Rings did tons better.

Still, my point is, Sonic games sell tons more on Nintendo systems than other consoles.

Edited by The Sniper
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1