Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Unleashed, if anything, pushed Sonic away from "our world" by clearly giving names to continents that don't exist on our earth. Yeah, according to the official games Sonic lives on Earth but it is definitely not the Earth as we know it.

This, I agree with. If they want to tell stories with locations like Station Square, South Island and so on, it'd be good of them to define the world Sonic lives in. Even if human areas are gonna inevitably resemble places we live in. While I prefer the OVA setting since it's more on the fantasy side of things, I'd be happy with anything resembling continuity of locations in the game canon. At least it's not the upside down world map from Shadow's game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dislike anything that associates Sonic highly to being "our world". I prefer to think of Sonic as this surreal world all of its own, like it was in classic days, and could be all up until SU.

If real-world elements are the problem, then surely you must hate Adventure 2 and Shadow for featuring the President of the United States Federation in person, right?

Honestly, I'd be much more willing to lump something like Savannah Citadel in with the classics than I would, say, Tropical Jungle from '06. Unleashed was colourful and interesting to look at, and to me that's more important than what the stages are called. Besides, Soleanna was basically a faux-Venice in exactly the same way as most of Unleashed's cities were. If anything, I'd say it was even more blatant.

I do want to see more surreal locations mixed in with the "realistic" ones, though. It's weird to see games like Heroes next to games like Unleashed with little overlap in style; I liked how Adventure 2 handled it, with a level in faux-San Francisco in the same game as Pumpkin Hill's ghost train and bizzarre landscape.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 2

This, I agree with. If they want to tell stories with locations like Station Square, South Island and so on, it'd be good of them to define the world Sonic lives in. Even if human areas are gonna inevitably resemble places we live in. While I prefer the OVA setting since it's more on the fantasy side of things, I'd be happy with anything resembling continuity of locations in the game canon. At least it's not the upside down world map from Shadow's game.

One thing I have on my wish list for Needlemouse is a clear transition from the altered real world of Unleashed to Sonic's checkered hillside home of South Island. While this might not happen, and I won't be bothered if it doesn't, I think it would be a great way to tie the 2D games and 3D games together. For example: The game kicks off with Sonic chilling on a checkered South Island, he receives word that the city is in trouble and he flies off with tails to Station Square.

Sonic Adventure 2 hinted that South Island is off the coast of the city of City Escape. While I take the geography of the map with a grain of salt, I enjoyed the thought that the classic games took place on a string of islands off the coast of a larger continent that would later become the setting for the Adventure games. Heroes seemed to take place in the lands that the early Sonic games took place in, unfortunately there was no mention of or appearance of a "real world" location from Adventure 1&2.

Again, I'm not saying it's necessary to have that South Island/Station Square mix, but it helps bridge the old and the new games. Think of Star Wars Episode 3 for example. Before Episode 3 hit, I had a problem connecting the prequel movies to the classic movies. But when Revenge of the Sith released, the old and new suddenly felt like one cohesive world.

Edit: Octarine, I totally agree. You posted while I was writing, but I agree. SA2 was a great "marriage" of styles, while Heroes suddenly jumped back to the classic world yet retained Shadow's story. Didn't quite gel for me.

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do want to see more surreal locations mixed in with the "realistic" ones, though. It's weird to see games like Heroes next to games like Unleashed with little overlap in style; I liked how Adventure 2 handled it, with a level in faux-San Francisco in the same game as Pumpkin Hill's ghost train and bizzarre landscape.

*facepalm*

Why did I never realise the SA2 mixed the styles, and did it so well? It would be cool to see that in the future, but perhaps not for Needlemouse or every other game. Imagine mixing mixing Unleasheds Empire City and Heroes' Grand Metropolis in one game. That would be a little too much.

Unleashed, if anything, pushed Sonic away from "our world" by clearly giving names to continents that don't exist on our earth. Yeah, according to the official games Sonic lives on Earth but it is definitely not the Earth as we know it. Take Pixar's Cars for example, clearly Earth but not the Earth as we know it. Cars 2 will feature a global racing tour, furthering the fact that it is and isn't Earth.

As true as that may be, let's not forget that there are locations mentioned in the series that do exist on our Earth. Cases in point would be the UF President's secretary's mention of Japan (specifically, the Prime Minister) in Shadow the Hedgehog, as well as Omochao's comment about San Francisco in Sonic Adventure 2. Mission Street is also a real-world street locale, located in San Francisco.

So although it isn't our Earth, it still tries to be pretty close at times.

Edited by HunterTSF

Yeah, fooled me too. Might have to go all (EDIT - Inflammatory - T) on their (EDIT - Inflammatory - T). I kind of hope we don't see any new trailers now until after Christmas anyway, or at least around Christmas. A nice little teaser image on Christmas day would be spiffing, SEGA. ;3

xD Wait, haven't you guys even seen it? My god, XD It's on SEGA Europe's Youtube.

:c jk, sorry guize, I saw SOAP doin' it and I wanted in on the lols. Pingas

EDIT: To be fair, SOAP made me check this topic, too xD

Edited by Kosuna
  • Thumbs Up 1

There's no new trailer for Needlemouse? Awwwww, you guys had me going there for a second...

I'm still excited for Needlemouse though. I NEED NEEDLEMOUSE! 61!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm willing to bet this place will be the last to know when a trailer actually does come out. *checks*

:c Sorry guys, I'm such an asshole. D:

I was thinking, "after 100 pages in this topic there is something to actually talk about with Sonic's new game!!!! OMG!!!!"

I was not pleased.

Believe me people, I too was a bit fooled by the status update thingy just now, but is there was really new info, this topic would have magically jumped to over 9000 pages.

Sonic 2k6 was a great step in the right path. ( I'm waiting to get flamed to hell) But I'm seriously thinking this game is a BUST. no info in how many months? Or many be it feels longer than it actually is due to how everyone is talking about it. ( on the net on sonic sites anyway) I REALLY think this is a no show tho.

Them not leaking info on the game is good, IMO. It shows that there actually trying to keep the game in raps until it's close to it's release date. I have better hopes on a game when a company keeps it concealed.

What? Dammit, I miss everything.:-/ I wasn't around to get my hopes up, then crushed ;_;.

On another note: The Filter seems to be gone. Now cussing isn't fun :-/ (EDIT - Inflammatory - T) I'll miss you, Fuck. :(

So now we're comparing the realism of Unleashed to Shadow, Sonic 06, and the Adventures. It should be more than obvious with the Adventure's taking place in settings like Station Square and then San Francisco-like places, to Egypt and etc. Then Shadow brings all that back and then has realistic weapons and vehicles, and then Sonic 06 is a copy of Venice, you'd have to be incredibly blind not to see how the previous games were just as realistic (if not more so) as Unleashed.

I wonder if we'll get any info around December?

Ah who am I kidding? We probably won't get anything new until next year, or not at all. :lol:

So now we're comparing the realism of Unleashed to Shadow, Sonic 06, and the Adventures. It should be more than obvious with the Adventure's taking place in settings like Station Square and then San Francisco-like places, to Egypt and etc. Then Shadow brings all that back and then has realistic weapons and vehicles, and then Sonic 06 is a copy of Venice, you'd have to be incredibly blind not to see how the previous games were just as realistic (if not more so) as Unleashed.

I wonder if we'll get any info around December?

Ah who am I kidding? We probably won't get anything new until next year, or not at all. :lol:

Er, did you post this in the wrong topic? Or were we talking about realism yesterday? At the moment they are talking about some fake reveal...

Er, did you post this in the wrong topic? Or were we talking about realism yesterday? At the moment they are talking about some fake reveal...

They were talking about it on the other page...I posted that a bit later than the time it started.

So, guys, has anyone tried to hack SEGA for new tidbits on this game yet?

These conversations are getting kinda shallow...

Edited by Tizo Teh Hedgie

These conversations are getting kinda shallow...

Now they are? It's page 112. 2229 posts. Think about how many that actually is, XD!

I'm just awestruck that you guys can still be talking about it, XD. There almost seems to be less discussion when we have more information, XP.

Didn't see the trailer lie in the status update, but I really do hope we get a new trailer soon. I'd like to see more than a blue blur and some words, <3.

-Blur

I'm starting to think that Tails and Knuckles are almost shoe-ins to be playable at this point. Sonic Unleashed tried to get back to Sonic being the only player because it was trying not to have the giant cast 06 had. This game's M.O. is, presumably, to be as "retro" as possible while still being something new. I figure Tails and Knux are iconic enough to the "classic" experience that they would be included, as unlockables if nothing else. I could very well be wrong, but they seem likely if Sega wants to play off the memories of people who played the 90's games. And from the look of the logo in the trailer, they do.