Awoo.

2-Player Mode in the Sonic Gems Collection of Sonic Drift 2

Monkey Destruction Switch

OK...so I'm not sure I'll get many replies on this since it doesn't seem like something many people would care about, but the other day my sister was trying to access Versus (2-player) mode on the Sonic Gems Collection (Gamecube) version of Sonic Drift 2, but it was grayed out and could not be selected, even though there were multiple controllers connected. Any ideas on why this could be happening? It crossed my mind that there's a chance it's an inherent problem with the game, I don't know. But from my brief web searching, I didn't really find anything about it. In all honesty, I don't care too badly about being able to access this, but now my curiosity is piqued.

It's just because the GameGear also had it's own link-cable peripheral like the GBA, there's no way to make that work in a port.

As far as I'm aware they did retain the 2-player mode but I don't have a way to test it right now, but from checking the manual it suggests that the second player needs to press start on their controller to change it to two-screen mode.

• Thumbs Up 1

OH! This post reminded of the days I used to play Sonic Drift 1 on Mega Collection Plus with my cousin all the time. Ahhhh, memories.

Assuming it functions the same way in Gems Collection (cuz I never owned that game as a kid), you basically just have to press the start button on the second controller like Zaysho said, in which the game switches into a split screen view and thus allows you to play the multiplayer! I’m guessing the game never makes that clear to you, and IIRC, I only ended up finding the feature in Mega Collection Plus by total accident. Weird...

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I know you just have to press start of the two player control, though I think I remember times it was a bit finicky. Gems Collection wasn't exactly top notch emulation.

I admit I find it a shame they didn't try that artificial split screen tactic more. SADX had it for ALL the Game Gear games for example. An added two player split screen mode would be an awesome addition to something like one of the SEGA AGES releases.

• Thumbs Up 1

For those gamegear ports you had to activate a dual screen mode to emulate the Gamegear's link cable before you could actually select 2 player.