Awoo.

Do the mandates for the comics even exist?

Guergy

12 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I kinda read that as Ian not answering questions, particularly regarding Sega's restrictions, because his words are going to get twisted by overzealous fans, tbh.

Well that and said overzealous fans starting riots about stuff that's probably supposed to a certain level of confidential. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Well, Sega being incompetent and wanting the series to be as bare bones and boring as possible is a bit different from a certain news outlet running a misleading headline about his thoughts on the Freedom Fighters for clicks or a stupid Reddit putting words in his mouth that could make him look bad to his employers all because he said he has to write a certain character differently now.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Well that and said overzealous fans starting riots about stuff that's probably supposed to a certain level of confidential. 

This plus obfuscation. Which is I think is the most relevant in this situation. Unless i'm misrepresenting that reddit post, I don't think there is any words put into his mouth. Its kinda cut and dry, the entire situation is. IP holder has demands, fans, writer and community manger don't like it. Short and sweet. Obfuscation exists so you don't, harass people in their personal lives for serious threat stuff ( also so you can lay the blame on other people down the totem pole so higher up people don't get fired). There are plenty of decisions made by awful execs that get put on the backs of the people making the product. Look at the sonic film and his original design for example. People blamed the VFX studio for a hot minute instead of some executive having an awful idea. They go out of business and the executive still makes money still makes millions of dollars. ( Also plays into why the vfx industry is so uh... not great right now but that's another dicussion )  Now doesn't explain every thing that's bad sometimes people make bad stuff. But it happens enough that this system of obfuscation exists.

Take myself for example, when the shadow stuff happened, I thought it was 100% flynn. I blamed someone else for their fuck up and it worked, then we found it wasn't him. And maybe someone in charge making those decisions liked that obfuscation and thought they were right about the decision. This proves them wrong a bit, and removes a layer of that obfuscation. Because like, I dunno if they made more uh...genius decisions on characterization in regards to other characters  and people hated them too, people like flynn are the first ones under the bus. Information leaks like his make that a bit harder to do that and a bit easier to look internally which is the thing they don't want.

I have now made myself upset reminding myself the person(s)  who made sonic look like a grimlin baby still have a job(s) . And the people who undid it, don't.

• Absolutely 1

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Look at the sonic film and his original design for example. People blamed the VFX studio for a hot minute instead of some executive having an awful idea. They go out of business and the executive still makes money still makes millions of dollars.

I have now made myself upset reminding myself the person(s)  who made sonic look like a grimlin baby still have a job(s) . And the people who undid it, don't.

Wait, WHAT?!!

20 hours ago, StaticMania said:

If they don't care about being "too close to source material" anymore, then it doesn't matter how small the risk is.

Isn't Miyamoto pretty heavily involved in this one?

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Wait, WHAT?!!

Yeah bankruptcy. The vfx industry is a race to the bottom flaming dumpster. The film industry does not appreciate them and wants it for cheap and doesn't want to pay for reshoots and shit. The sonic thing was an anomaly. And a bunch of film studios are just opening vfx houses in places they can pay people even less.

The sonic thing is an anomaly often times when vfx needs to be redone they just go over budget and dont get paid.

They never get credit either from like general audiences. But often get blamed for bad vfx. This studio was not being paid enough to stay open, so it shut down. That(those) nameless exec's who made that choice most likely still have jobs. And will make money from the sonic film.

• Absolutely 1