Awoo.

Sonic @ SXSW 2020 (Update: Officially Cancelled)

Sonictrainer

Sonic will once again be at SXSW.

https://schedule.sxsw.com/2020/events/OE39937

Gotta Go Fast: The Official Sonic the Hedgehog Panel
Sonic the Hedgehog is back at SXSW! Join special guests from SEGA and Sonic Team as they talk about the latest for the blue blur and his next steps for 2020 and beyond. There’s almost always a special announcement or two to be had, so be sure to stay tuned!

Programming descriptions are generated by participants and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of SXSW.

Primary Entry: Music Badge, Platinum Badge, Film Badge, Interactive Badge
Format: Panel
Event Type: Special Event
Track: Game Industry

MAR 20, 2020 | 3:00PM – 4:00PM

UPDATE: Event has been cancelled due to concerns with the Coronavirus

16 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

What if Sonic met the Joker?

Sonic Crossover with Batman?

dd2bzng-8720f4b1-ae18-4baa-a4f7-93edac2d

(Fanart by JoeAdok)

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Here what I expect them to say:

• Recap 2019 by saying:
    • The IDW comic's were great,
    • Remind everyone that Team Sonic Racing exists because they didn't give it post launch support and everyone forgot about it
    • Tyson Hense Chao Garden Short
    • They will mention the movie

• Announcements for 2020:
    • The Sonic cartoon being made by Cartoon Network that was leaked awhile back
    • Sonic Official will be sharing the same announcements as the Japanese Sonic 2020 Campaign
    • An update on the Next Sonic game

• And Q&A Segment which will drive everyone insane with wasted questions.

I'm hoping once the Sonic Stadium article comes out Larry and give us some information about what to expect, if he doesn't comment then either SEGA knows who he is now or theirs nothing to be exited about

1 minute ago, Johnster4 said:

• The Sonic cartoon being made by Cartoon Network that was leaked awhile back

Yeah that seems pretty lik....I'm sorry what?!

• Thumbs Up 2

And here we go again. I want an update on upcoming games of course... but I don't think it will happen tho', unless they announce something before the panel.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't wait for you all to be disappointed when no new games are announced. We really don't have much reason to expect anything big here.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I can certainly see the anniversary game being announced next month for a holiday release in 2021. Why not? Forces was first revealed almost a year and a half before release.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

I can't wait for you all to be disappointed when no new games are announced. We really don't have much reason to direct anything big here.

Well TBF they are announcing stuff on the 20th of every month this year and it's both the 20th and SXSW so it's not unlikely they'll announce something. The problem is that it most likely won't be anything major. At best it'll be a new YouTube short.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah that seems pretty lik....I'm sorry what?!

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, some guy on 4chan posted storyboards of a new hand drawn Sonic cartoon. Don't remember it all but it supposedly is going to be 10 episodes and the first one revolves around Eggman releasing little drill bots into a city. Tyson is involved.

But then again it could be another show that's going on and I'm totally wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually agree, they said 2021 is the next big year. I have no idea what's up with this Sonic 2020 campaign but… they are contradicting themselves? No game news outside of teases. I'm expecting the new cartoon of course, which is plenty to satisfy me tbh.

Unless this is the year of yet another modern spin-off, but after mediocre attempts they've given us with TSR and Olympics, I'm actually not expecting it this year.

Then there's a possible new Classic game, still, that could be in 2021. So yeah.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

I actually agree, they said 2021 is the next big year. I have no idea what's up with this Sonic 2020 campaign but… they are contradicting themselves? No game news outside of teases. I'm expecting the new cartoon of course, which is plenty to satisfy me tbh.

Unless this is the year of yet another modern spin-off, but after mediocre attempts they've given us with TSR and Olympics, I'm actually not expecting it this year.

Then there's a possible new Classic game, still, that could be in 2021. So yeah.

Yes!!  It might turn out to be something like a 2D game that will have a new episode/story released every year for multiple years, with the first one maybe arriving in 2020??  That would remove pressure from the team to make an end-to-end "new classic" that is also a single release ; i think 2D Sonic could become exponentially more creative if it did not have to fit into the traditional game length!  (The format would then also be fully free to not be varied zones -> showdown at Eggman's current fortresses! ) 

Perhaps with Eggman still absent, the current group probably also adding Amy will be able to visit many of the other islands and locations and take care of any problems happening there!  certainly ones that would still result in zones with obstacles and some sorts of enemies, but the types of situations that previously would have been too specific or small for them to find out about.  I guess we haven't had that moment in 2D yet where word of the existence and abilities of Sonic and companions has spread and different requests for assistance are being received. 

And, the history of Sonic's world in 2D has never really been explored, but we have seen in every game, signs of massive ancient cultures!!!! 

14 hours ago, Betz said:

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, some guy on 4chan posted storyboards of a new hand drawn Sonic cartoon. Don't remember it all but it supposedly is going to be 10 episodes and the first one revolves around Eggman releasing little drill bots into a city. Tyson is involved.

But then again it could be another show that's going on and I'm totally wrong.

4Chan makes me question it but honestly it's not that unlikely. 

This us just the first time I've ever heard of it. 

This is the rumor in question: 

1576805673355.png

Posted on /v/ first but felt fitting to send here as well
Employee at Cartoon Network here. With all the leaks about Sonic on here lately, thought it'd be worth bringing up some info I have on official animation stuff coming from the team in the coming two years.
Sega and CN have been working on a tie-in for some upcoming thing. Here’s a quick picture I snapped.

>Voices haven’t all been recorded yet, only background characters and unimportant characters, which were mostly done by random people in-house.

>The guy who did the art storyboards on the recent Sonic shorts, Tyson Hesse, is involved, but only with small parts of the pilot and some promo art. Most of the rest handled by misc. Sega and CN artists

>Short series, only 10 episodes planned.

>Storydriven, but remotely simple

>Rebecca Sugar and Tee Lopes, worked together on an outro song, a remix of a song from the games

>First episode has Sonic coming back from break and saving a city from tiny drill robots

>Set to be announced in February, with the first clip shown a few months later.

• Thumbs Up 2

Filing it under plausible. It's completely in line with what we heard before about SEGA wanting to do more with Sonic animated shorts, including voice acting. And if SEGA was going to make a move in on it, now would be the time with the Sonic the Hedgehog movie coming out, and there being a generally positive atmosphere surrounding it.

The wild card here is CN's involvement. Yes, we had Sonic Boom, but CN treated Sonic Boom pretty unfavorably by putting it in a poor time slot. And having Rebecca Sugar working together with Tee Lopes sounds really fanciful.

If we're going to see any announcement in February, it's going to be on the 20th.

13 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

The wild card here is CN's involvement. Yes, we had Sonic Boom, but CN treated Sonic Boom pretty unfavorably by putting it in a poor time slot. And having Rebecca Sugar working together with Tee Lopes sounds really fanciful.

Honestlywhile that's one of the major red flags I would love to see Cartoon Network Studios co-producing a third party series again. It worked pretty well for Transformers Animated back in the day. 

• 4 weeks later...

Can't say I'm surprised, but still sad to hear. I'm guessing they'll either put the info on a Sonic Station stream, or plan a different event at a later date.

4 hours ago, DryLagoon said:

Can't say I'm surprised, but still sad to hear. I'm guessing they'll either put the info on a Sonic Station stream, or plan a different event at a later date.

Perhaps they reveal it at e3, or go with a Japanese reveal first ala Lost World? 

We're sad to see SXSW cancel, but we respect the call and we're working hard to bring our Sonic Panel content to you all in a new format this April!

From the Official Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter.

and....now Sonic Direct is trending on Twitter... :D

• Thumbs Up 1