Awoo.

Things you remember, feel nostalgic for, but can’t find

Big Panda

Based on a status someone made earlier today (genuinely can’t remember who it was because my shorterm memory sucks sometimes).

We’ve all been there. It could be something you saw on TV, like a show or film you can’t remember the name of; a commercial, but you can’t remember what the product was; a song where you can only recall the melody, but not the title or any of the lyrics; maybe it’s something you do still remember easily, but you simply can’t find any trace of its existence online.

That last example is what I’ll start with:

Back in my final year at primary school, there was this PC game I vividly remember playing called Guardians of the Greenwood. It was a really low budget point and click game where you helped a girl called Crinkle save a forest by solving puzzles. The game utilized real forest photographs for its scenery with frankly bizarre character graphics mixed in. An aspect of it that stuck out to me was the music that played during the actual puzzle-solving sections.

I’ve searched online, and the only thing I could get was this page, containing two screenshots. There are no clips of it on any video sharing sites.

I don’t have any desire to actually play the game again, but I would at least like to see footage of it to experience that obscure bit of nostalgia.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I was little, I had a VHS tape full of Christmas specials my parents had recorded from me. A lot of the usual suspects were on there, The Snowman, Father Christmas, The Bear...and then there was this strange stop motion film, involving a little child who built his own grandma out of bits and pieces. I don't remember there being much dialogue in it beyond the boy saying 'Georgia', which I assume was the name he had given to his creation. I also remember a scene involving iceskating over a frozen garden pond. My best guess is that the film was from some European country, although I never noticed at the time.

My brother has about the same memories of the film as I do, except he thinks that he film was a litlte bit creepy (I cleraly never thought so, as I watched the tape a lot). About the only thing I can think of doing to recover it is digging out the VHS player and going through old tapes until it shows up, but I have no idea if my search would be fruitful. Online searches come up with nothing, and I keep thinking of bringing it up whenever there's a 'Christmas Specials' thread. It would be nice to find out its source, and finally see it again.

I have a few other examples (both short stories rather than TV specials), but I'll keep it as this for now.

• Thumbs Up 2

There used to be an extremely obscure console called the Pixter which I used to play quite often as a small kid. There was this one game in particular where there were three sections; you would start in a car, the next in a boat, the last in a plane. I think it was math themed in some way. There was this extremely catchy music that played through the whole thing that I remember in a foggy sense. I don't know what the game was called and I have tried looking it up to absolutely no results. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

I remember Pixter, I wanted one of those so bad!

I remember reading this book as a kid... it was sort of a picture book. There was a kid and a big hedge maze, and in the maze were all these marble Greek-style statues. And in the center of the maze (I think) was this magic powerful golden globe thing... I remember liking it, but it's just impossible to find out what it was called anywhere. Any time I search for a kids' book with a maze, the only thing that seems to come up is a book by the Jumanji author, and that's not it....

• Thumbs Up 1

One that I immediately thought of reading this thread, is what seems to be a climax scene from a horror movie I saw as a child. From what I can remember:

• there is a room/hall with checkered floor and walls
  • there are a bunch of kids? trapped inside said wall
  • there are faces that appear on the checker squares to talk (some had arms stretching out instead)
  • I think there were an adult or two
  • there is a young boy that seems to be evil
  • there is a young girl who seems to be nice
  • the girl is slowly sucked into a door? Acting-wise she is spinning around while slowing walking toward it
  • Said boy changes his mind last minute to save her

I consider myself decent at finding movies based on small details I find, but I could never find out what this was from.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

We had a demo of a computer/video game on our Windows 95 called "Dexter" or something very similar, where you controlled a white robot that could shoot lazers and transform into various veichles. I've searched for this game for years but found absolutely nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember when I was either a kid or a young teenager at the time and I watched some TV show that I didn’t even know the name of at least twice or more times.

So a man was with his friend and he was on the phone with some dude he could see through his house window from his own house window and the other dude said ‘Are you the guy looking at me?’ or however it was worded and if I recall right, the dude replied back with a no or however it was a worded. 

Looking back, hilarious TV show, whatever it was. XD

I used to play a lot of computer games when I was a kid. One of them had a raccoon playing tennis with a puzzle-solving guy and some puzzle blocks…but it was a crossover? Has anyone ever heard of that game?