Awoo.

Ben Schwartz in the Sonic Games? (Potential Movie Spoilers)

DCFCSonic20

Honestly. I feel that Roger Craig Smith's ship has sailed. Given the success of the Sonic Movie and a certain someone from the games making a small cameo. Who was voiced by their current voice actor in the games in the film. Does that show some insight into the future of Sonic? The reaction to Ben Schwartz as Sonic has been really positive and I'm sure SEGA and Sonic Team will do a Sonic X thing again and bring in Schwartz to replace Smith.

What do you think?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue Blood

• PC the Hedgehog

• Wraith

• thumbs13

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Ben as Sonic, but I'm not sure I'd want him in the games. Mostly because a lot of the things people accuse Roger of as an actor wouldn't change with Ben.

46 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

He's probably too expensive.

I dunno. He's a main character in both the new Ninja Turtles and Ducktales shows, plus does guest voices in a lot of cartoons.

Though I guess at the same time, why have Schwartz when you can have an anime voice actor who probably works for next to nothing?

I like Schwartz and I like Smith. I don't see any reason to replace Smith unless they want to double down on making the movie continuity the main one in the games, and even then it's a big leap to assume that SEGA would be willing to pay Schwartz's likely high fees.

Smith has been a huge a part of the Sonic franchise. He's the longest serving English VA for Sonic, and has worked with SEGA quite a lot outside the games and TV series of the day. I think that replacing him is something that SEGA wouldn't want to do. And as for the movie...

Tails is voiced by Colleen Villard in his small cameo in the movie, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a recast with a Hollywood celebrity in the inevitable sequel. The Sonic movie was relatively low budget, and using a "cheap" VA who's already established in the franchise for such a small cameo makes sense. Her name isn't marketable regardless of how good she might be at voicing Tails, so they'll want someone better known for the movie. I'd have been thrilled to hear Smith voice Sonic in the movie, but he's simply not well known to the general public and won't sell the movie.

Didn't they use Mike Pollock as the voice of Movie Eggman in one of the mobile games? It seems more likely that they'll do the other way around and have Roger voice movie Sonic in non-movie things.

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

Didn't they use Mike Pollock as the voice of Movie Eggman in one of the mobile games? It seems more likely that they'll do the other way around and have Roger voice movie Sonic in non-movie things.

Not quite. Eggman already has voice clips in Dash used for a boss battle. In the movie tie-in event, you fight movie Robotnik instead. But he's inside one of his machines and you don't actually see him himself. They recycled the regular voice clips as it's just a skin on the regular boss battle. It was either leave him silent of reuse the existing clips from Pollock, because there's no way they would bother recording about ten words worth of new dialogue for tiny little tie-in event.

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

He's probably too expensive.

As much as I'd like to see Ben take the helm.......... You're probably right. I wouldn't expect Colleen to be cast as Tails in the next film either. Though I really hope I'm wrong on that.