Awoo.

Re-titling the Sonic Games

Barry the Nomad

With the return of Sonic to 2D, I got to thinking about how damn confusing the main series titles have become. While the early day games had Sonic's full name and slapped a number on it, the later games had a new 3D identity (adding the Adventure suffix) only to throw us a curveball with Heroes. After that we didn't know what to expect. Were each new game a sequel? Was it a remake?

While I understand that I'm making a bit of a fuss over nothing, I do find it interesting to see what people would do if given the choice to retitle the games. Here's what I would do:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog CD

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Sonic & Knuckles

Knuckles Chaotix

No problems there, very concise number system. Unnumbered games work either because they are definite sequels (S&K) or fit almost anywhere in the early series (Sonic CD, Chaotix). Sonic CD could fall anywhere before SA1. Speaking of SA1, here's where it gets messy:

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Great! So we're continuing from the 2D games, but with the Adventure title and a new numbering system. Makes sense. SA1 clearly is a continuation from S&K but is different enough to warrant a title change. But wait! Sonic Adventure 3 never came to be, instead we had Sonic Heroes! So a team based mechanic is the new series? Nope, just the next game following from the SA2 plot. SA1 had six separate characters, SA2 had two teams of three characters so SA3 was the next step: four teams of three characters. Let's re-title it:

Sonic Adventure 3

What followed was a side story starring Shadow. It picks up from SA3 and draws heavily on SA2. We'll title it:

Shadow Adventure

The Sonic story continues in Sonic '06 aka Sonic the Hedgehog. Shadow and Rouge as GUN agents place this in the 3D series plot progression, and the game features a character selection similar to SA1. Yeah, the game stinks but it could have been marketed as a return to the Sonic Adventure formula. We'll title it:

Sonic Adventure 4

Finally we have Sonic Unleashed. This is an easy one. It really doesn't pickup from SA4, yet is still an Adventure game. I think it's time for a fresh 3D series. We'll start anew, but keep the Adventure title and call it:

Sonic World Adventure

Let's step back and look at it all together:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog CD

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Sonic & Knuckles

Knuckles Chaotix - Side Story

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Adventure 3

Shadow Adventure - Side Story

Sonic Adventure 4

Sonic World Adventure

Works for me! What are your ideas?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd add a title to supplement the number, to give it more of an identity. Numbers are... too dull IMO.

Such as...

Sonic 1: Genesis

Sonic 2: West Side Story

Sonic 3&K: Death Egg Saga

Sonic CD: Time Twister

Sonic Adventure: Total Chaos

Sonic Adventure 2: Shadow of a Hedgehog

Sonic Heroes: Triple Threat

Shadow the Hedgehog: I Am All of Me

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006: Solaris Project

Sonic World Adventure: Sonic Unleashed

Sonic 4: Sonic Boom

Interesting take! I'd go this route if "colon title" was the naming structure:

Sonic the Hedgehog: South Island Siege

Sonic the Hedgehog: West Island War

Sonic the Hedgehog: Little Planet Lost

Sonic the Hedgehog: Angel Island Assault

Sonic the Hedgehog: Death Egg Destruction

Sonic the Hedgehog: CHAOS

Sonic the Hedgehog: SHADOW

Sonic the Hedgehog: HEROES

Shadow the Hedgehog: GENESIS

Sonic the Hedgehog: SILVER

Sonic the Hedgehog: UNLEASHED

Rhyming location titles for the 16-bit games, one word titles for the 3D games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I always liked the idea of titling half way between Doctor Eggman's and Indigo Rush's methods. My titles would be pretty much the same as Indigo except for the 3D series.

SONIC ADVENTURE

SONIC ADVENTURE 2: Battle

SONIC ADVENTURE 3: Heroes

SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG: Sonic Adventure 4

SONIC ADVENTURE 5: All Grown Up Solaris

SONIC ADVENTURE 6: Unleashed

Something like that. =3

I like the idea of Shadow's game having "Sonic" in the title. Whether people like it or not, the plot is too important to consider it a spin-off.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

My way of renaming the main games would be utterly boring:

-Sonic the Hedgehog 1 (Sonic 1, duh)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Little Planet Blues (Sonic CD)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 3: Eggman's Offensive (Sonic 2)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 4 First Chapter: The Fallen Island (Sonic 3)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Second Chapter: Rise of the Death Egg (Sonic & Knuckles)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 4.5: Knuckles' Chaotix (Guess)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 5: Legacy of Chaos (Adventure 1)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 6: Shadow of the ARK (Adventure 2)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 7: Team Heroes (Heroes)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 7.5: Project Shadow (Shadow)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 8: The Eternal Flame (2006)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 9: Broken World (Unleashed)

Yes, I do like numbered sequels, why do you ask?

I like the idea of Shadow's game having "Sonic" in the title. Whether people like it or not, the plot is too important to consider it a spin-off.

Wikipedia and the Sonic Wiki agree with you on that. What confuses me is why Knuckles Chaotix is not considered a main series game. In my mind, it is.

post-386-125267703737_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 2: West Side Story

I love it when the mods do this. :P

(originally Westside Chronicles :lol: )

But what about some others? The handhelds usually have a good naming system. (Sonic Chaos, Sonic Blast, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure...)

Some more.

Sonic: Flicky's Island

Sonic Advance 2: Next Generation

Sonic Advance 3: Planetary Pieces

Sonic 1: South Island Adventure (GG)

Sonic 2: Tails in Trouble (GG)

Sonic Drift 2: Full Throttle

Sonic Rivals 2: Crisis

Titles like Sonic Rivals, Sonic Advance, Tails Adventure and Knuckles Chaotix shouldn't need to have extra added to the title, as they're unique enough on their own. However, titles that have sequels need more than a "2" (like Zero Gravity)

Sonic 1: South Island Adventure (GG)

Sonic 2: Tails in Trouble (GG)

Those names sound so very western I can almost see the original "cool" Japanese titles now. XD

"SONIC THE HEDGEHOG: GAIDEN (Side Story) ~Dr. Eggman's Sky Base Launch~"

And "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2: THE GRAND RESCUE ~Journey To The Crystal Egg~"

While we're at it though:

Sonic The Hedgehog 3: Chaos

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Triple Trouble

• Thumbs Up 1

Titles eh?

Hmmm I would reallly love it if Sonic committed to a new series moniker like with adventure but have it in a way so its like:

SONIC ADVENTURE: CHAOS CONTROL

SONIC ADVENTURE 2: THE SHADOW PROCLAMATION

SONIC ADVENTURE 3: PIETIME etc

like have the series name, and then the name of the game/adventure, it'd be really cool and make the games seem like part of a series again which I loved.

"Sonic Adventure: Oh yes."

"Sonic Adventure 2: OH GOD YES!"

"Sonic Adventure 3: Oh god, why?"

"Shadow Adventure: Oh god, no."

"Sonic Adventure 4: I hate you, god."

Yeah, kinda how I feel. :/

Edited by Leonard

I think it'd be more confusing to change the titles now than to just leave them as they are.

Though changing '06 to SA3 might at least shut up the people who are still whining about how SA3 would save the series...

Well, one series that I'm sure we agree shouldn't be renamed is the following:

"SONIC STORYBOOKS: The Secret Rings"

"SONIC STORYBOOKS 2: The Black Knight"

Too gamey in that particular case, lol. And "Sonic Storybooks" isn't exactly badass sounding.

I think it'd be more confusing to change the titles now than to just leave them as they are.

Though changing '06 to SA3 might at least shut up the people who are still whining about how SA3 would save the series...

I completely agree with this. I don't see much of a reason to changing the titles of the games now. It seems pointless.

Not to mention the fact that Sonic '06 was modeled almost exactly after the original Adventure game. It doesn't matter what everyone's personal views in regards to the quality of the game are. The similarities in structure are obvious.

Re-titling the Sonic games, eh? I guess I'll take a whack at it.

Sonic R: Super Sonic Racing

Sonic Adventure 1: Open Your Heart

Sonic Adventure 2: Live & Learn

Sonic Heroes: Complete Trinity / Sonic Heroes: Triple Threat

Shadow the Hedgehog: Lost and Found

Sonic Rush 1: A New Day

Sonic Riders 1: Sonic Speed Riders

Sonic the Hedgehog: Several Wills

Sonic Storybook 1: Seven Rings In Hand

Sonic Rush 2: A New Venture

Sonic Rivals 2: Race To Win

Sonic Riders 2: Un-gravitify

Sonic Adventure 3: The World Adventure

...I'm so original!

• Thumbs Up 1

I completely agree with this. I don't see much of a reason to changing the titles of the games now. It seems pointless.

Not to mention the fact that Sonic '06 was modeled almost exactly after the original Adventure game. It doesn't matter what everyone's personal views in regards to the quality of the game are. The similarities in structure are obvious.

I am just suggesting this for fun, and the idea is that they would always have the imagined titles. You (and the rest of us) only know the current order because that's how they actually are. But imagine waking up one day and seeing Shadow, Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Unleashed. You'd be damned if you knew what order they went in and if they were even the same series.

To be honest, I think having sub-names after the first name, i.e with a colon, just looks rather cheap and rubbish.

The only Sonic game which could do with a re-name would be Sonic 06, since it shares the same name with the original. It gets confusing talking about it as Sonic 06 to non-Sonic fans as they have no idea what I mean unless I say "The 360/PS3 one" or "The one with bestiality in it" :P

Lets see...

Sonic Heroes = Gimmick-Filled Crap Featuring Sonic the Hedgehog

Shadow the Hedgehog = Shadow Haz GUNZ Now!!!

Sonic Rush = Jet Set Sonic

Sonic '06 = Sonic Adventure 3

Sonic and the Secret Rings = Sonic Mutes His Mobile Phone

Sonic Unleashed = Yet Another Inane Piece of Shit Starring Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic and the Black Knight = Sonic and the [CENSORED]

Edited by Extaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I am just suggesting this for fun, and the idea is that they would always have the imagined titles. You (and the rest of us) only know the current order because that's how they actually are. But imagine waking up one day and seeing Shadow, Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Unleashed. You'd be damned if you knew what order they went in and if they were even the same series.

It should be easy for most people to confirm that all of these games are in the same franchise just by visual inference. Order would be a toughie for the gaming illiterate, and numbers would ultimately be the best way to go to help them, but I agree with Particle Man* that such is boring. Plus, you run the risk of going into the double-digits eventually which can too easily invoke views that a series that is past its prime.

If I were to retitle the series, I'd keep the original games' numbers (an exception for CD) as they are the era with any sort of aesthetic continuity. For later games, I'd have more fun with melodramatic, Squeenix-esque subtitles as thus:

Sonic The Hedgehog

Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 /2

Sonic The Hedgehog 3

Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles

Sonic: Chaotic Memories

Sonic: Chaotic Memories 2

Sonic: Trinity

Sonic: Celestial Shadow

Sonic: Timeless

Sonic: Day To Night

*looks back at her list* Ugh.... Yanno, I was never good at naming things.

*Still can't get that goddamned song out of my head.

I guess I'm with the Nerd when it comes to naming and numbering:

Coincidentally, Star Wars is my favorite series of film AND is the best titled of film series.

STAR WARS (the series) Episode 1 (the film number) The Phantom Menace (the film title)

Megaman is probably the most concise game series, just add numbers! (You just need to remember that X does not equal 10)

Edited by Doctor Eggman

I haven't really thought about renaming any of the Sonic games except for Sonic the Hedgehog 2006; I thought a good alternate name would be "Sonic Inferno". It would also look cool if the game's box art/title screen was a backdrop of Crisis City instead of Kingdom Valley.

Sonic CD: Epicness

Sonic Adventure 2: The Best Sonic Game Ever

Sonic Rush Adventure: Best Handheld Sonic Game Ever

Sonic Rivals 2: Underrated

Sonic Next-Gen: The Biggest Piece of Shit Ever

Sonic and the Black Knight: Another Piece of Shit

That's what I would rename some of them, but seriously people, why do you like Sonic Next-Gen and Black Knight so much? They suck ass!

• Bad Quality Post 1

I have always seen Sonic Heroes as Adventure 3, Shadow as Adventure 4 and "06" as Adventure 5. Sonic Unleashed would be Adventure 6 but no, World Adventure sounds better. and for the rest:

My Sonic The Hedgehog Series:

-Sonic The Hedgehog

-Sonic The Hedgehog 2

-Sonic The Hedgehog CD

-Sonic The Hedgehog 3

-Sonic The Hedgehog 4(Sonic & Knuckles)

-Knuckles Chaotix

-Sonic The Hedgehog 5(Sonic 3D)

My Sonic Adventure Series:

-Sonic Adventure

-Sonic Adventure 2

-Sonic Adventure 3: Sonic Heroes

-Sonic Adventure 4: Shadow The Hedgehog

-Sonic Adventure 5(Sonic The Hedgehog)

-Sonic World Adventure(Sonic Unleashed)

BTW. I Hate when they stop numbering titles.

Sonic Adventure 2 - "Sonic Pretense"

Sonic Heroes - "Because we're Sonic Heroes"

Sonic 06 - "Mudada" By the way, is this what Silver says when he catches you when it's set to Japanese? That would be hilarious, because Silver is base off of 5th Phantom Saga, which included a thing that looked and behaved a lot like ZA WARUDO, Dio's Stand.

Sonic Unleashed - "Discount triple pack, featuring 'Hold X: The Movie: The Game', 'God of War: Furry Edition', and 'Memory Test!'"

Sonic and the Black Knight - "WOOOOOOOHHHOOOOHHHHAA!"

That's what I would rename some of them, but seriously people, why do you like Sonic Next-Gen and Black Knight so much? They suck ass!

Some people have different ways of perceiving video games, varying levels of tolerance for issues, and/or aren't affected as much by mainstream (within the fanbase) opinion. It's really that simple. :D

Also, perhaps Sonic CD could use a more evocative title. I find it sort of annoying when game titles reference the system it's on (Super Mario 64, Yoshi's Island DS, etc.), so another word or subtitle might be in order. Hmm...actually, I really can't think of anything that sounds not-awkward enough. Perhaps Nepenthe's "Sonic Timeless" could work here?...well...

Edited by Reading