Awoo.

Sonic RPG

Leebo4

I know BioWare unwittingly set up the downfall for Archie Sonic with Sonic Brotherhood but if Sega partnered with Square enix like Square did with Nintendo for Super Mario RPG; would you like to see another Sonic RPG?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Diogenes

• Multikaris

• Detective Kaito

• Rosaleia

Top Posters In This Topic

To get the joke out of the way first

SEGA + Square Enix

Spoiler

spacer.png

(Honestly though I do like her design even if it didn't belong in a Sonic game)

To be frank though, eeh~

While the Kingdom Hearts series implies that Nomura in particular could direct such an endeavor, Square Enix writers have a tendency of getting more metaphysical than they really need to for something as fundamentally simple as Sonic at its core. Honestly, I'd probably sooner go with Level-5 or even Bandai Namco's Tales of Series team (a shame they absorbed the Tales of Studio back into the main company). Both of those studios handle simpler stories more frequently without compromising the core focus of the story or characters. I just can't think of a good argument for Square Enix with my experience with their games. Even looking at the Enix side with Dragon Quest I just can't see them capturing the essence of Sonic. To be fair, I didn't think Bioware was a good fit either so my opinion may already be too skewed to be of much use in serious consideration of the idea.

"Sonic" and "RPG" are about as diametrically opposed as you can get. It'd be hard to find a proper compromise between a series based on speedy action/platforming that's always struggled with its storytelling and a genre typically based on slow, methodical (often even turn-based) strategy and a heavy focus on storytelling, if it's possible at all. I'd be interested in seeing someone try to solve the problem in a creative way, but if it was just going to be standard RPG design with Sonic characters slapped on, I'd pass on it.

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

"Sonic" and "RPG" are about as diametrically opposed as you can get. It'd be hard to find a proper compromise between a series based on speedy action/platforming that's always struggled with its storytelling and a genre typically based on slow, methodical (often even turn-based) strategy and a heavy focus on storytelling, if it's possible at all. I'd be interested in seeing someone try to solve the problem in a creative way, but if it was just going to be standard RPG design with Sonic characters slapped on, I'd pass on it.

It might work, but not with Sonic as the protagonist, if you get what I mean. He'd have to be a support/side character. Maybe something like Kingdom Hearts' gameplay with say Knuckles, Tails or someone else as the protagonist. Tails might work well for things like puzzle games for example. Or perhaps something like Pokemon featuring Chao and perhaps Cream as a separate IP. I could see that selling well as a mobile game.

17 hours ago, Diogenes said:

It can work if you make it a fast-paced Action RPG.

It's a fast-paced Action RPG where you can switch party members with a press of a button like Sonic Heroes, some platforming elements, and exploration. Seems like it would work just fine for a Sonic Action RPG theoretically.

Unfortunately, SEGA are only interested in going the safe route and making platforming and racing spin-offs only, which makes sense but they've been doing only that for 12 years. It's getting kinda boring at this point.

On 2/19/2020 at 3:25 AM, Leebo4 said:

I know BioWare unwittingly set up the downfall for Archie Sonic with Sonic Brotherhood but if Sega partnered with Square enix like Square did with Nintendo for Super Mario RPG; would you like to see another Sonic RPG?

...isn't Yuji Naka at Square Enix now?