Awoo.

Sonic X: the most faithful adaptation

Leebo4

I know this show is kind of infamous but I noticed no one really talks about how the show is actually the most faithful to the games since they adapted stories from the adventure and battle games into the first 2 seasons.

• Thumbs Up 2

To a certain extent I wish they'd stop trying to be faithful to the games. Like the rings being a thing in Sonic X and the movie just feel out of place for me. The rings in my opinion are an element that's too tied to being just a gameplay element. Outside of the games they just feel out of place and don't make much sense in existing. Like where are the rings coming from? If they have rings, might as well have elemental shields too.

Is that Mario movie gonna have coins too?

11 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

To a certain extent I wish they'd stop trying to be faithful to the games. Like the rings being a thing in Sonic X and the movie just feel out of place for me. The rings in my opinion are an element that's too tied to being just a gameplay element. Outside of the games they just feel out of place and don't make much sense in existing. Like where are the rings coming from? If they have rings, might as well have elemental shields too.

Wait when did they have rings in sonic x

7 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

Wait when did they have rings in sonic x

They didn't use it many times, but they definitely used rings. Like in the very first episode, Tails sends a ring after Sonic using a missile when Sonic was sent flying by one of Eggman's robots.

Another instance was when Sonic was frozen on the Tornado 'whatever they called that ugly plane' and they used a ring to unfreeze him. Dunno which episode that was.

In theory it sounds good having them adapt the game story plus scenes that were missed, but in context it's hard for me to go back to because so much of it feels like padding and they get various details wrong. So I actually prefer "inspired by" parts like season 3 than directly adapting the games. As much as I'd like to see an expanded SA2, I'd rather it be through the original writers own efforts than someone else loosely doing it for them.

I guess it just goes to show that being faithful to the games is less important than actually being good. Plus, like DryLagoon says, when they're relatively close to the source material, it tends to make it more annoying when they change things for the worse.

It's the most faithful adaptation by default, as most other series dont even do that much. 

It had a better SA1 adaptation than Archie, but that's about it.

10 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Sonic X did explain rings tho, they're created from leftover excess energy from Chaos Emeralds and they use them to give Sonic a temporary power boost. Also giant rings are the main way of traveling to the dimension where the Emeralds hide in the games so I think they're a little bit more story-important than you're giving them credit for.

11 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Coins aren't vital to game-play, so...yes they would.

They're currency, even the way they're used when they are more tied to game-play IS completely viable in other media adaptations.

If SatAM didn't exist, the way the rings are used in Sonic X could just be a reference to Advance 2, where rings make you go faster.

50 minutes ago, Natie said:

Sonic X did explain rings tho, they're created from leftover excess energy from Chaos Emeralds and they use them to give Sonic a temporary power boost. Also giant rings are the main way of traveling to the dimension where the Emeralds hide in the games so I think they're a little bit more story-important than you're giving them credit for.

Maybe they try to explain it, but to me it just doesn't feel right having rings as part their world, an item they use regularly. Maybe because I know that's not how they function in the game, but I just don't feel it fits. It's the same reason I didn't like the comics when they try to incorporate warp rings that leads to different dimensions. In the game, it makes sense because they wanted bonus stages, a different type of challenge from the regular stages and bosses. But when you try to turn it into a narrative where all this can actually happen and it's perfectly normal for the characters that this is a thing, it just becomes too weird. For me, anyway.

Maybe if in Sonic X they used Chaos Drives from Sonic Adventure 2 which is also some sort of Chaos energy, that was already shown to be powering robots, I would accept that. Again, just personal preference.

Dimensions, teleportation and time travel with the Emeralds...it's just things that can become way too messy way too easily.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well it was conceived by Sonic Team of Japan themselves apparently as far back as 1997, to the point that they personally made Chris and according to a rumor, were inspired to make Cream for as well.

Oh and the Chaotix and 3D Blast flickies were also featured.

20 hours ago, Almar said:

Well it was "faithful" enough for Team Iizuka to take Two-Worlds from it.

Didn't Sonic Team play a majorrole in the creation of Sonic X? I always thought this was where they introduced it.

2 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Didn't Sonic Team play a majorrole in the creation of Sonic X? I always thought this was where they introduced it.

Pretty much.

It was apparently something that either Yuji Naka or Naota Oshima(I forget which one) came up with during Adventure's development and it was an in-house concept until Iizuka revealed it at whatever Q&A it came out at.

4 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Means nothing unless you can show it's any different than the localizers making up Mobius.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Pretty much.

It was apparently something that either Yuji Naka or Naota Oshima(I forget which one) came up with during Adventure's development and it was an in-house concept until Iizuka revealed it at whatever Q&A it came out at.

None of the dialogue (Sonic being spoken of protecting only one world during Sonic CD and the Sonic 3 duology in Adventure), environments (Echidna ruins in train distance of Station Square or Silver living in a future Soleanna), or Naka's own statements as of 2010 (saying Sonicverse's events started on Christmas Island in Oceania) in the games where Naka was still a member of Sonic Team support that.

The scenario that fits the actual evidence is that Sonic X introduced Two-Worlds as a framing device for its interpretation of Sonic as an alien outsider and post-Naka Sonic Team rolled with it as a way to appease the backlash over the tonal or visual conflicts and human characters of the Adventure Era.

39 minutes ago, Almar said:

The scenario that fits the actual evidence is that Sonic X introduced Two-Worlds as a framing device for its interpretation of Sonic as an alien outsider and post-Naka Sonic Team rolled with it as a way to appease the backlash over the tonal or visual conflicts and human characters of the Adventure Era.

Ian said not too long ago on a podcast that Yuji Naka came up with two worlds. It had to have been before he left which puts it around Sonic X's premier.

You're obviously talking about this where he makes some strange claim that Two-Worlds was there since Adventure (I think he just confused Sonic X's version and/or his headcanon with what was actually in the game). Nothing about what Naka allegedly did is there.

Indeed, Naka's actual words here as of 2010 don't support him believing in Two-Worlds:

"Sonic initially had critters and robots but Sonic Adventure have introduced humans suddenly. Why have you decided to add them?"

Naka: Action in Sonic's universe unfolded on Christmas Island from the very beginning, and accidentally things have happened the way there were only animals and robots in there. And later when Sonic made it to usual mega polis in Adventure, that's where he met humans.

"But is this island located on Earth or this is some kind of another planet anyway?"

Naka: On Earth. It actually exists, Americans (and also Englishmen - magazine) are having nuclear weapon testing there. Actually, this is exactly why we've populated it with robots and strange animals. *laughs*

Nothing about using a spaceship or something to get to Earth from Planet Furry. As of 2010 well after Sonic X first aired Naka said that the Sonicverse's events started in Oceania (which is on Earth) and that he met more humans from traveling away from the islands in the Genesis games.

Sonic X didn't keep braking the 4th wall like the Sonic media these days so I find it to be the best Sonic series.

8 hours ago, Almar said:

Means nothing unless you can show it's any different than the localizers making up Mobius.

None of the dialogue (Sonic being spoken of protecting only one world during Sonic CD and the Sonic 3 duology in Adventure), environments (Echidna ruins in train distance of Station Square or Silver living in a future Soleanna), or Naka's own statements as of 2010 (saying Sonicverse's events started on Christmas Island in Oceania) in the games where Naka was still a member of Sonic Team support that.

That's why I said it was an in-house concept.

3 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Sonic X didn't keep braking the 4th wall like the Sonic media these days so I find it to be the best Sonic series.

I'm glad you included keep.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I'm glad you included keep.

I mean, it seems to have done so a decent number of times...but that's not really any different than a lot of comedy focused anime.

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I mean, it seems to have done so a decent number of times...but that's not really any different than a lot of comedy focused anime.

Essentially. It's likely a matter of not being done all that much.

Just now, DabigRG said:

Essentially. It's likely a matter of not being done all that much.

Compared to just Sonic Boom...