Awoo.

Sonic 2020 Initiative Discussion

Blueknight V2.0

So I decided to make this topic in case it hasn't been done yet.  Serving as a reminder of such announcements & that way all related discussions can go here in the future. Unless something comes out of said announcements that need another dedicated topic for.

As we all know, Sega will be having new Sonic news on the 20th of every month of this year. The 20th being tomorrow morning in some time zones, there will be a broadcast to announce such news. What it'll be? We have no clue as of yet.

But feel free to speculate on what you think we'll see from this.

I feel like it'll be either;

IDW sneak peeks.

Merchandise

Film sequel announcement possibly.

Maaaybe a TV show or animation.

Might be too early for a new game reveal, but I could be wrong.

Won't have to wait too much longer though. Just... try to keep expectations low.

• The title was changed to Sonic 2020 Initiative Discussion
8 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

So I decided to make this topic in case it hasn't been done yet.  Serving as a reminder of such announcements & that way all related discussions can go here in the future. Unless something comes out of said announcements that need another dedicated topic for.

As we all know, Sega will be having new Sonic news on the 20th of every month of this year. The 20th being tomorrow morning in some time zones, there will be a broadcast to announce such news. What it'll be? We have no clue as of yet.

But feel free to speculate on what you think we'll see from this.

I feel like it'll be either;

IDW sneak peeks.

Merchandise

Film sequel announcement possibly.

Maaaybe a TV show or animation.

Might be too early for a new game reveal, but I could be wrong.

Won't have to wait too much longer though. Just... try to keep expectations low.

Well if that one leak is to be believed this could be the announcement of the new cartoon in the works.

1 hour ago, Betz said:

Well if that one leak is to be believed this could be the announcement of the new cartoon in the works.

Which leak?

I'm going to speculate it'll be some merchandise or other promotion that will be occurring in Japan like a café or chain like the Forces x Hooters thing.

I believe we will get some more substantial announcements over the course of the year, but we'll be altered about it by the Western branches of Sega hyping a reveal. The Sonic 2020 campaign is something only Sega of Japan seems intent on doing, leading me to believe most of these news announcements will be limited to things only occurring within Japan. Again, unless SoA or SoE start hinting at an announcement first.

Bring on the concept art of a tree. My expectations are set to rock bottom

I'd be surprised if one of these early months didn't give us something akin to a "behind the scenes" look at the movie premiere or sound design or something along those lines. Don't know how their going to fill 11 months of this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably just merchandise announcements if it’s only coming from SoJ, though this rumoured tv show has me curious...otherwise don’t expect much news until SXSW next month. .-. 

Maybe they will announce a cool new Sonic plushie based on the movie (like that really cute and detailed Detective Pikachu one) that doesn’t look like the abomination in stores now? XP

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Guys it already aired, it was a recap of what announced in December-February. 6pm JT was two hours ago. 

It also showed some new artwork pieces. SEGA of America only did this a couple of times atop all the meme stuff they usually have, but Japan gets a constant stream (I guess the comic makes up for it).

Well I kind of expected to not expect (XD) the announcement for this one to Not concern a new game reveal & such. Instead on merchandise & recap.

Starting out small at 1st, then bring the bigger announcements the farther we get into the year. I could be wrong, but that's how I'm thinking it'll work after this one.

I saw some people hyping this up and I felt bad as this really wasn't that kind of stream. It's possible we might get some bigger things later in the year, but it's probably best to just treat it as a fun little stream with mostly little announcements and question corner.

I had been posting it in the Sonic Channel thread but I'll try to post it here now.
---
Just got to the stream today so here are my reactions:
-They seem pretty chill to be honest. One plus of watching after it being live is they have Japanese captions. (seems auto)
-Sonic movie was going to open in March 27th in Japan. (if it still does they might have more news around then since this is Japan based)
-Jun mentioning he was lead composer on Team Sonic Racing last year.
-first corner is "news headline(s)" (I'll skip the info already mentioned by others and just leave any reactions or discussion stuff)
-you can change music in the game from the settings(?)
-them keep saying "ni-zero-ni-zero" for 2020 is funny to me
-Jun joined the Sonic series after Sonic 1 and 2 came out. He got to do a Chemical Plant remix for Generations. Jun wants to rearrange the song "emerald hero" from Sonic 2 some day. (I can't find a page with that song name?)
-lol the JP dub for Tom sounds too cool for him
-next corner is "goods (merch) review"
-that Sonic figure looks pretty good for an arcade figure
-third corner is "sound corner (temp name)"
-next corner is "otayori corner" (not sure on meaning, maybe "from fans"?)
-from fan "station square convenience store worker" 'congrats on starting sonic station live'
-what are your favorite foods or recent liked food? Hoshino: meat, soy sauce. Jun: golden o's (from TSR vid)

I'm posting this here because there are rumors of a new cartoon, well, how about this as a hint? @Badnik Mechanic

Might be simply nothing, but I'm suspicious… either we are getting more McDonalds shitty games with sports (eh), or maaaybe those are based off some episodes of the new Sonic cartoon? Because these look similar to what Tomy did for Sonic Boom, action figures based on particular episodes of the tv show. Hey, it's possible, but atm it's just my theory.

Or maybe, we are getting more sports spin-offs without Mario… eh, I wouldn't be a fan of those.

Or it's just a random way to make cash for Jakks? Also possible, I guess...

Also: didn't Jakks themselves actually leak that the new line of figures was for a cartoon?

• Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

Also: didn't Jakks themselves actually leak that the new line of figures was for a cartoon?

Going to need a source in that because as I recall, the last mention of the cartoon in any capacity was in December when they expressed their desire to make a new one.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/497740601#p497740601

Rumor time: 

It's about as real as you can expect a 4chan post to be, but hey, the art is original. 

Pretty confident it was confirmed as fan-made on discord servers, plus... no thanks. Give me a "brand new experience" this time.

2 minutes ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

Pretty confident it was confirmed as fan-made on discord servers, plus... no thanks. Give me a "brand new experience" this time.

If the conversation is what I think you are referring to, it was speculated and determined as fan-made. It really wasn't confirmed. 

It's likely, but it's got as much hard evidence against it as hard evidence for it. 

5 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

If the conversation is what I think you are referring to, it was speculated and determined as fan-made. It really wasn't confirmed. 

It's likely, but it's got as much hard evidence against it as hard evidence for it. 

If you take one look at Classic Sonic's mouth you'll see it's fake. Spreads far too wide compared to the official model. Modern Sonic is also way too expressive in that pic. Tails looks fine mostly but the eyes are too big. Its fan art. Its good, but its fan art. 

Models can change. Even still, I figured it was fake. I wish it wasn't but hey, it is what it is. I'm sure what SWXS gives us will be nowhere near as good. 

• 4 weeks later...

Stream is starting and I'm watching, I'll update if they confirm anything notable. (ended up doing all of it) Link in spoiler.

Spoiler

• Assistant Nanmoku's headphone Sonic shirt is nice. (seem it's from Cospa in 2016, blue version)
  • Spoiler

DrySonicHeadphoneTee.jpg

• News headline corner start
  • Sonic the movie opening in Japan "soon" (not specific date anymore)
  • Movie Sonic collab in a JP mobile soccer game
  • Sonic collab in mobile Chain chronicle starting today (new model but speaking sprite seems Sonic X based, has Escape to the City song)
  • Movie Sonic in JP Puyo Puyo Quest from 3/28-5/31
  • These collabs were likely planned for the original Japan release date.
  • Some more in Phantasy Star Online 2 and others not shown in detail
  • Download games in Japan on sale until 3/31 (similar to the US sale, olympics 2020, Team sonic racing, forces, mania shown)
  • Tonic the hedge risk? Classic Sonic design. Some kind of web commercial. Video played here first. Some kind of tonic spray?
  • Sonic's Adventure teaser design on VHS? Omg the old Japan Adventure promo. lol 
  • Them talking about Adventure is raising my hype not gonna lie.
  • GO SEGA 60th anniversary project. Website explaining SEGA. (with the tagline "sega shirou", probably a play on the Segata Sanshiro one) Commerical shown. Special bag with 60th logo and Sonic on it.
  • Sonic olympic games for mobile. Still in preregister. Trailer played again. Release still 5/7?
  • End of News headline corner
  • Goods review corner start
  • New Sonic LINE stamps (JP) starting today. Very cute. 120 yen. Also pleased as a Chao fan. Yosh Eggman petting Chao too.
  • 6 Sonic collab smart phone cases. $27ish each.
  • US IDW Sonic comic selling on 5/8 (Japanese version?). Seems to be a group of some books as it was $20ish
  • End of Goods review corner
  • Sound Corner (temp name) start
  • Throwback Collection Vol. 1 is out. Contains the remixes from social media. (got leaked beforehand but still cool)
  • End of Sound Corner (temp name)
  • Mario & Sonic 2020 trailer played.
  • Let's play a game! Corner start
  • Mario & Sonic 2020 is the game they are playing.
  • They mentioned it's them playing Sonic games, so it's possible we'll get other games in the future.
  • They have some Sonic curry lol (it's blue)
  • 329 = Sonic lol (3 =san, 2 = ni, 9 = kyu, so saniku. Japan loves number puns, even if it stretches to work)
  • End of Let's play a game! Corner
  • Sonic Forces JP Trailer. Fist Bump is great as usual.
  • Otayori Corner start
  • Reading fan letters
  • Knuttunk? I feel like I've seen that name before somewhere. (I like the name "Sound Station" for sound corner. SSS lol)
  • They almost read the same one twice lol
  • Someone asked if they look at Sonic fan art. I think they said they do for Sonic Channel. I remember in previous years staff would leave comments on them too.
  • Accepting letter entries for next time. https://forms.gle/oNxQRNWYpGaXD5TQ7
  • End of Otayori Corner
  • Dude is that a new render of Station Square? Either way it's nice. (I can't tell if the rumors are true but they sure love teasing)
  • Next stream is 4/20/20
  • End of Stream