Awoo.

Bob Iger stepped down as Disney CEO

Perkilator

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/business/media/bob-iger-disney-ceo.html#click=https://t.co/iTzoYstOXa

Not joking. Bob Iger has officially stepped down randomly as the CEO of Disney. In his place, Bob Chapek will open a new chapter for the company.

Under Iger, Disney has:

-Purchased Pixar for $7.4 billion (2006)

-Purchased Marvel for $4 billion (2009)

-Purchased Lucasfilm fir $4 billion (2012)

-Opened Shanghai Disneyland (2016)

-Launched ESPN+ (2018)

-Purchased FOX assets for $71 billion (2018)

-Launched Disney+ (2019)

We can only wonder what Disney will become under Chapek's thumb as the new CEO.

• Too Many Rings 1

Despite all the failings of Disney in recent years, I think it’s important to also mention the good things Iger has done. Back when he was placed into Disney as the CEO, it was a fucking disaster, due to so many failings by the previous CEO - Eisner. He was the one who not only created one of their biggest rivals (Dreamworks) due to his actions with the 90s animation team at Disney, and on top of that - Lord Farquaad from Shrek was based on him.

But his biggest blunder by far was how much he screwed over Pixar. He mistreated that company hard, and when Pixar was all but ready to cut ties with Disney altogether after Cars finished their contract, Eisner made up a second animation studio called Circle 7 Animation who would be designed to fart out soulless DtV sequels of Pixar properties, with Toy Story 3, Monsters Inc 2 and Finding Nemo 2 ALL being worked on at the same time.

It was Iger who after taking up the CEO role worked hard to make amends to the Pixar team, promising that what happened with Eisner wouldn’t happen with him, and it was this that led to the purchase of Pixar. Without him, we might not have so many of the great films we would’ve gotten in Pixar’s later years, and instead - a bunch of soulless low quality junk on par with Disney’s own DtV sequels in the mid 2000s. Iger pulled Disney out of a sinkhole and gave it a needed resurgence after the early 2000s.

I’m not too familiar with him outside of that story, but for better or for worse, we got the MCU and Pixar’s output from his era, and that’s something to be thankful for.

• Thumbs Up 4

Didn't he say not long ago that he planned to step down sometime soon anyway? This news isn't that surprising aside from it being a bit earlier than planned.

Even for a transitional role (re: not the permanent role), Bob Chavek being named as Iger's replacement seems to be raising many concerned eyebrows from what I've read. He's currently/previously been responsible for running Disney's theme parks, and he's gotten a lot of flak for being rather stringent with money, downsizing certain locations, being responsible with the parks focusing more on IPs instead of original attractions (new and existing), and turning down plenty of creative ideas for the parks. I've seen comments comparing his management to Eisner more than once (Eisner during his post-Frank Wells / "I don't know what I'm doing" era, anyway; Eisner's commented to have actually done some good things as Disney's CEO before Wells' tragically fatal helicopter crash).

It's going to be a rather interesting transition period, to see how much he rocks the boat. In the meantime, however, people have been heavily pegging for Feige to be Disney's CEO, but with him now being head of all of Disney's film studios, I don't see him taking on that role in the immediate future. Honestly curious as to who will ultimately be succeeding Iger--it's going to be one hell of an tenure to follow up on.

• Thumbs Up 1