UpCDownCLeftCRightC

Sonic 30th predictions

Re-reading that interview quote, I've suddenly realised something that I'm a little worried about. That 2D sonic will continue, but with sega doing it themselves. Who knows, with 2D as a main focus from the start maybe they'll do it well, but honestly I'd be super worried if they announced a Mania 2 only to later say none of the original team had been brought back for it.

On 6/27/2020 at 1:27 PM, Eclipse said:

Re-reading that interview quote, I've suddenly realised something that I'm a little worried about. That 2D sonic will continue, but with sega doing it themselves. Who knows, with 2D as a main focus from the start maybe they'll do it well, but honestly I'd be super worried if they announced a Mania 2 only to later say none of the original team had been brought back for it.

beyond the uncertainty, it could really be genuinely wonderful with whatever their current best team would be, to have the Retro engine to make a new game themselves. Even, through some surprising turns, Yuji Naka could return to head the project or otherwise be involved however he'd prefer!! 

One does wonder, how would he have continued the story if it were not needing to jump to 3D??  There just hadn't been the resources (mainly a modern, fully configurable engine for 2D Sonic) and public enthusiasm for it previously!  

Essentially the Genesis storyline had to be abandoned, although it was a fitting enough conclusion.

So, the story of Mania+ would set them up really nicely, both indicating that Eggman somehow repaired his mecha space body in orbit and safely reentered, but then also that he is currently missing.

Eggman has always been seen to be in quite a lot of peril at the end of each 2D game, but has never yet been in such a way that he is indicated to literally not be in their world anymore, due to being sent to another dimension, so that gives many unique openings!!