Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

yeah, after the first few months since I went through that whole... "positivity is best" phase, and that unrealistic "all is lost" phase, I'm now going through this whole "it's either/or" phase. there's been a lot of evidence that the next game COULD be good, and a lot evidence that the the next game COULD be bad, so I don't know who's in the right here. This, as well as other reasons, is why I decided to stay firmly neutral about this situation, so I don't really confuse myself any further. I still kinda lean into the positive/realistic side of things, but other than that.... yep.

• Nice Smile 1

I think the boost could be overhauled into something fun but they would need to be willing to rethink most parts of it. I always wish it went less for cinematic setpieces and wore it's more arcadey racing game influences on it's sleeve. I'm not married to that idea, though. Anything's fine to me at this point as long as the game turns out fine, whether that takes the form of a more drastic reinterpretation of 3D Sonic or a more conservative rework of what's already there. 

No use in fretting over the next game if it's not ready and won't be ready for sometime.I actually care more about getting remasters at this point because there's no ambiguity there

14 hours ago, azoo said:

Nobody wants to hear this but I'd embrace another 3D Sonic reinvention.

Funny, that's exactly what I want xD

I'm tired of Modern Sonic going 2D. The fact that Generations had some pretty great 3D areas that felt like they finally found a good balance between boost and platforming, pisses me off. Because they abandoned it. I wanted more of that so much. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Hilariously, almost every 3D game has built on something from a prior game.

Adventure tries incorporating classic elements with tons of new gimmicks.

Adventure 2 streamlines the hell out of that.

Heroes plays like Adventure, but with a team gimmick.

Shadow also plays like Adventure, but with a third person shooter gimmick.

06 is Adventure 1 again, but its shit.

Unleashed and almost every game after is the largest departure, but even then its based on 06's mach speed stages and Rush.

Lost World isn't really built on anything.

Hard to say what's next, but I would prefer they do move away from all of that shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/10/2020 at 10:21 PM, azoo said:

That's not too controversial, I'd like that too, if only cuz I'm not a fan of the current satus quo.

Granted, I hope they change the formula to something good. Honestly I really just wanna be able to freely control sonic again and not run down hallways.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/10/2020 at 8:21 PM, azoo said:

This needs to happen. Boost Sonic has pretty much the potential of all it could be at basically day one. It's an absolute dead end.

Its framework is far too rigid to build anything off of it, just because by design it requires Sonic having access to a go fast button. Like, you can't make other characters work, just because it would be impossible to make them work in existing level design. There really also isn't a way to really build off the gameplay to add more depth to it, the closest we had was the Wisps, which are basically just minigames.

Because Sonic is so fast, it requires an obscene amount level geometry, which is resource intensive. It also puts a performance constraint just because the game needs to be constant streaming in new data, which is very CPU intensive. There's a reason why Adabat is an absolute slideshow on console.

Sonic needs a new framework. Ironically, I think Sonic Team realized that, which is why they made Sonic Lost World, but that game had so many issues that they ended up just going back to boost for Forces, which they clearly lacked the resources to properly give adequate support to maintain the quality that was established in prior boost games.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

6 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Hard to say what's next, but I would prefer they do move away from all of that shit.

I know I'm showing all my cards here, but it infuriates me to no end that just because they got screwed on 06 that they absolutely refuse to build on the rock solid foundation they'd laid all the god damned way back in 1998 with SA1. It was a near-perfect translation of the 2D games' principles into 3D, with obvious room for improvement. Boost has outstayed it's welcome as it was always just a band-aid to a longer-term problem. But we have the technology. The demand is there. There's an opportunity to realize the potential they scratched the surface of TWENTY-TWO YEARS AGO.

Inviting them to completely ignore their best success just makes me anticipate another Lost World detour. They're gonna keep flailing wildly, looking for a framework and an identity instead of embracing what they already have and establishing a stable video game series that fans can reliably anticipate/guestimate and enjoy, instead of worrying and squabbling because every new entry is a shared anxiety attack until announcement. There's no stability in this franchise which is precisely why we're so divided. They need to commit to a philosophy/design principle and build up instead of this scorched earth policy.

• Thumbs Up 5

y'know I was gonna make this whole "if sonic team was making a reinvention, what would it be" topic, but then I thought, "eh, nah It'd be a waste of time." besides, this thread is enough to do that so, yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, HPX said:

I know I'm showing all my cards here, but it infuriates me to no end that just because they got screwed on 06 that they absolutely refuse to build on the rock solid foundation they'd laid all the god damned way back in 1998 with SA1. It was a near-perfect translation of the 2D games' principles into 3D, with obvious room for improvement. Boost has outstayed it's welcome as it was always just a band-aid to a longer-term problem. But we have the technology. The demand is there. There's an opportunity to realize the potential they scratched the surface of TWENTY-TWO YEARS AGO.

I see where you're coming from. sa1 (and to a controversial extent, sa2) had a great formula for 3d sonic, which is sad because all of the games after that weren't like them, and the truth is that sales & scores were a big part of the reason why. why do you think the boost formula stayed? because people enjoyed it in unleashed and wanted to see it come back, which is why colors, generations and forces were made, because their predecessor was that successful... outside of the critics that is. this is also why sonic team thought the adventure formula wasn't working anymore, which sucks, since they actually DO work, and looking at the awareness the fans are giving them, we probably aren't the only ones who realize this.

but i'm not gonna say that THOSE are the true reasons why things are the way they are now, staff membership is just as, IF NOT MORE important than whatever formula works the best. which is why forces was a flop, which sucks, since in my eyes forces had the potential to be way more than what it turned out to be. maybe they'll try again and improve their skills, or maybe they've been replaced by someone else, we'll never know till we see the next game come out.

5 hours ago, HPX said:

Inviting them to completely ignore their best success just makes me anticipate another Lost World detour. They're gonna keep flailing wildly, looking for a framework and an identity instead of embracing what they already have and establishing a stable video game series that fans can reliably anticipate/guestimate and enjoy, instead of worrying and squabbling because every new entry is a shared anxiety attack until announcement. There's no stability in this franchise which is precisely why we're so divided. They need to commit to a philosophy/design principle and build up instead of this scorched earth policy.

As much as I want a proper successor to Sonic Adventure, let's not forget that game isn't exactly perfect. And no, most of its issues cannot be blamed on the time frame.

I know people love Sonic Adventure, but let's not get into the mindset that its the only way that 3D Sonic can work.

I liked the Boost for what it was, and a lot of other people did too. 

If people truly want the series to evolve, then we need to get out this mindset that there is only a singular way of making Sonic work; you can make a new 3D Sonic game that takes elements from most its predecessors to make something new. There's no "right" way to do this.

• Thumbs Up 2

yeah they could straight up copy skate 3's level design and I'd be fine with it, it's the only general game that ratio's sonic adventure 2.

We're getting a Sonic Encyclopedia by Dark Horse and Ian Flynn is involved with it. Hopefully it won't be like the Mario one where they pretty much took stuff from the Wiki 

8 hours ago, Jango said:

That render looks sweet.

Also, good fucking luck to whoever will have explain the Sonic lore.

Eh, it's really not that hard.

To be fair this book may actually finally clear up some of the questions that have plagued the fandom for YEARS! Like, when is Sonic CD actually set within the timeline? Is there a Timeline? Two worlds? Classic vs Modern.

I could go on. I hope to God though it gets fact checked multiple times. They know what we're all like XD

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

We're getting a Sonic Encyclopedia by Dark Horse and Ian Flynn is involved with it. Hopefully it won't be like the Mario one where they pretty much took stuff from the Wiki 

Sonic Team after reading this:

cover5.png

• Way Past Cool 1

29 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I get the idea, but the execution looks kinda iffy. I work with that stuff, so it's likely just bothering my eye.

It's a good change from the past ones which looked almost the same everytime, you know, the ring with the wings and stars and the red ribbon.

• Thumbs Up 1

it is an intriguing design!!  I think that overall this promises to be one of the more significant decadal anniversaries for Sonic, probably even moreso than 2001!

4 hours ago, Jango said:

It's started with Totino's, now this? XD

!!  there was a very 1990s sonic spaghettio crossover actually! 

Since Sonic is running to the left, I almost take that is he is heading to the past. I wonder if that is meant to be symbolic which way he is going or an easter egg, or I am just reading more into it than I should.

Also, Sonic's left hand looks like it has 4 fingers because of the three visible knuckles vs. the four visible ones on his right hand, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1