Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

These plans should be good, I feel. They'd want the 30th to be the best it can be, aiming to hit the highs of the 20th. Would it be risky to release a reinvention of the game formula for an anniversary date? Possibly, but such a reinvention will be something new and fresh. If marketed right, and the game fully reflects that marketing, it should be positively recieved.

As for the merchandise, I'm not big on that side of things, but it already looks like they're doing a wide variety of deals, so if that continues it should be a great success.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://personacentral.com/sega-atlus-tgs-2020/

According to this article about 9/24's incoming TGS Sega/Atlus stream..

Check out Sega/Atlus’ line-up featuring existing and upcoming titles releasing this Fall. Don’t miss the special Sega 60th Anniversary event and other live stream broadcasts featuring various guest personalities as we bring you the latest information, including an overview of our TGS exhibit!

So before anyone gets hype for this stream and how it ties into the 30th Anniversary, uhh cool your jets until further notice.

• Thumbs Up 6

On 9/15/2020 at 5:16 AM, AuroraRedwinters said:

Since Sonic is running to the left, I almost take that is he is heading to the past. I wonder if that is meant to be symbolic which way he is going or an easter egg, or I am just reading more into it than I should.

Also, Sonic's left hand looks like it has 4 fingers because of the three visible knuckles vs. the four visible ones on his right hand, lol.

Sonic is running to the left because it's the more practical way to make a concise and balanced logo with the "0" acting as his signature wheel-of-feet running animation. If he was going to the right, the logo would be lopsided and messy. I doubt that it's supposed to be symbolic of of "looking back".

• Thumbs Up 2

Source:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2020/09/sonics-30th-anniversary-under-way-with-new-games-european-licensing-magazine-confirms/

All the things I want is:

A Sonic Adventure style game

Sonic Adventure 1&2 remakes

Sonic Mania 2

Sonic Unlimited Collection (Genesis, Sega CD, Sega 32X, Game Gear and Saturn)

New Sonic Anime

A new Chao Garden mobile game

Sonic Movie 2 info

All I want for a Sonic Adventure style game:

Playable Characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Big and Froggy, Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Cream and Cheese, Espio, Charmy, Vector, Silver and Blaze.

New Characters and a new playable hedgehog character.

Non-Playable villains: Dr. Eggman, Orbot, Cubot, Metal Sonic, Eggman Nega and the rest of the Eggman Empire.

Supporting Characters: Vanilla, Chocola and Gemerl

Better Levels

The return of human citizens (From Sonic Adventure 1, 2, 06 and Unleashed)

G.U.N (from Sonic Adventure 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog)

Current voice actors from Sonic Colors to Team Sonic Racing

Time Travel

Character theme songs.

Chao Garden with All of the animals (from the past Sonic games and Sonic Lost world), old gardens, Colourful Chao eggs, Chaos Drives and Chao minigames.

Chaos Emeralds and Sol Emeralds

World map around the world and Adventure fields/hubs (from Sonic Adventure and Sonic Unleashed)

Several stories including most cutscenes.

Can SEGA think about it?

Best Regards,

Scott Devine.

Something which would honestly be really special and a good fit for the 30th, if the 2D game does bring back 3 acts for many zones, of course allowing this to extend the new environment and music phenomenon as we have known it since Sonic 3!!    

Anyone notice that Kazuyuki Hoshino (Sonic art director/character designer/creator of Metal Sonic and Amy Rose) is now listed as the series' "creative director"? I dunno if this could have an impact on the next Sonic game, but it sure sounds interesting...

48 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Anyone notice that Kazuyuki Hoshino (Sonic art director/character designer/creator of Metal Sonic and Amy Rose) is now listed as the series' "creative director"? I dunno if this could have an impact on the next Sonic game, but it sure sounds interesting...

Kinda confused on this, but I hope it gives us good fortune.

I can't believe I forgot about this. Don't know if its been mentioned but I can totally see a Sonic Maker game being released.

Both Mario Makers were popular, it's a perfect fit for a 30th anniversary because it could include all 2D material and Sega knows there's a big fan game community.

I'm actually gonna surprised is this is not one of the games now that I think of it.

11 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

This has been the case since Mania/Forces. Definitely interesting but yeah.

4 hours ago, Celestia said:

This has been the case since Mania/Forces. Definitely interesting but yeah.

Really? Huh, guess I never noticed. Perhaps he was put into the position well into Forces' development cycle and his influence will be more noticeable on the next game.

Most likely, it will be some kind of boost-crap.But based on the movie. I would like a remake of Adventure games, but it's not likely to be...

Sonic8.jpg

1 hour ago, Hypershadow said:

Most likely, it will be some kind of boost-crap. But based on the movie

obviously it's not gonna be based on the movie, like at all, since according to Iizuka, it started productions early to mid 2019. and to add on to the speculation that it's been in development right after forces.

also welcome to sonic stadium, but other than that, just saying.

1 hour ago, iambitter21 said:

obviously it's not gonna be based on the movie, like at all, since according to Iizuka, it started productions early to mid 2019. and to add on to the speculation that it's been in development right after forces.

also welcome to sonic stadium, but other than that, just saying.

But it is worth considering that the development of the film began before Sonic Forces.

2 minutes ago, Hypershadow said:

But it is worth considering that the development of the film began before Sonic Forces.

that was probably a coincidence, since sonic team probably heard nothing about making a tie-in game at the time, they were too busy making the Hedgehog Engine 2 and making concepts for Sonic Forces. point is I don't see any signs of it being based on the movie, despite most movies having tie-in games during/before their run time in theaters, such as toy story 2, the Incredibles, ratchet and clank and so on. and even if we assume that it IS a movie tie-in game, the timing would be waaaaaay off for that to be logically possible.

technically it's been about a year and a half, but I see you're point. the thing about forces is that they didn't work on the game until after the teaser came out, and I think that's why they didn't give us one time because of what happened later.

On 9/26/2020 at 3:49 AM, Scar said:

Forces was half a game.

What if they wanted to release the other half using LOCK-ON technology but dropped the idea due to the lukewarm reception? *Conspiracy intensifies*

10 hours ago, Tarnish said:

What if they wanted to release the other half using LOCK-ON technology but dropped the idea due to the lukewarm reception? *Conspiracy intensifies*

The only thing that could have fixed that game is a delete button.

Alright, so that interview with Nagoshi (in case noone read it) says this:

Nagoshi: "Sonic games such as mainline platforms and spin-off titles like TSR are sold worldwide now, and I think we’ll continue to make such games in the future too.

By the way, there are some gameplay styles following the recent trend like online games, and these idea apply to Mario franchise too. Nowadays, various customers play games in various ways including smartphones. Of course, classic gameplay styles are still good, but I hope you’ll be looking forward to recent, new, gameplay styles in future Sonic games."

So in short, there may be "recent, new gameplay styles" in newer Sonic titles, and that seems to lean towards the idea of utilizing online, or smartphones.

Fun ideas I'd be interested in and seem like reasonable concepts:

• A picture-taking mode
  • Missions like in Mario Odyssey
  • Tagging/commenting like in Splatoon or Mario Maker
  • The return of leaderboards / online racing
  • Chao Garden App with online functionality / connectivity to a main game
  • Online co-op

Things I wouldn't like to see but since this is Sonic Team I wouldn't count it out:

• Something either massive-online or battle royale based with customizable characters as the focus again, like many many games are these days
  • Trying to make a major title be a smartphone exclusive game, since the portable market has all but moved wholesale over to them

I really wouldn't want to brush off the idea that online or smartphone utilization couldn't be a good thing, especially if following in the footsteps of Mario or what have you, but I'm too used to how Sonic Team tries to follow and focus-test trends and what they waste all their time on developing instead of making a good Sonic game, so I can't help but speak what I consider the worst-case scenarios as a possibility. ESPECIALLY after Forces seemed to be of decent success for them, despite the.. erm, everything about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

My knee-jerk reaction is that his statement just goes to show that they haven't really learned anything, and still don't have any sort of vision or ambition for what they want Sonic to be. The implication seems to be that, now that he's been thoroughly drained of all meaningful content and individuality, Sonic is just a brand that can be contorted into whatever current trends are.

But then again, Nagoshi is not a member of Sonic Team, so maybe he just doesn't know what the plan is, if there is one. Though, I'm not even certain how much autonomy Sonic Team even has at this point if the bizarre comics mandates are anything to go by.

It does boggle my mind that they haven't bothered to bring the Chao back with a companion mobile app where you can take your Chao from a mainline console game with you and raise them from your phone, linking them back and forth from game to phone for bonuses and buffs, etc.

16 hours ago, HPX said:

My knee-jerk reaction is that his statement just goes to show that they haven't really learned anything, and still don't have any sort of vision or ambition for what they want Sonic to be. The implication seems to be that, now that he's been thoroughly drained of all meaningful content and individuality, Sonic is just a brand that can be contorted into whatever current trends are.

I had the same impression. If Sonic Team wants to just go with what's trending, we can expect cheap mobile games with mtx, some sort of battle royale and remakes of old games. I wouldn't be against the last option if we're really getting that SA remake that's been rumoured for ages, but a ground breaking new game of the size of Unleashed, but with improved Adventure gameplay would be better. And a sequel to Sonic Mania, of course. Come to think of it, if Sonic Mania was the celebration of the Classic era, it would be great if the 30th anniversary title is a celebration of the Adventure era, which was just as important honestly. Heck, maybe follow the same exact formula: levels from SA1, SA2 and Heroes reimagined plus brand new levels and story/enemies. 

Yeah, we know they want to cash in on whatever the current trends are, it's always been like this. They care about their profit. IMO they also want to... not look inferior to other game series I guess. Like, if Nintendo games offer online as strong marketing feature, they want to do it as well. If they can cash in on nostalgia for example, they will, no doubt, Generations, Mania etc. if anything Forces had more new ideas, but it was still a cash in, 'cause they had to include... mmm, every Sonic feature and then new stuff. Ew.

The execution matters and it should be a top priority. 

Still, it's too early to say "they already got it wrong", this is barely a hint at what's to come.

The Chao ARE coming back, if there is one thing I got from all recent social media hints.

IMO a new gameplay = fresh start, is a welcome change, they did nail the boost after all, it just got repeated over and over, as well as simplified in Forces, with disastrous results. Please give me something else, experiment, if you have to.

One thing I would like is... if they gave us (in a Modern game) only 1 gameplay, focus on that, with multiple characters, if you take away the boost, it COULD work hypothetically.

Online would have to be battles, if it's Sonic and it's fast, that's gonna be my thing, the appeal, online races and I'm surprised they haven't tried that yet outside of spin-offs, really. I guess Shadow and the Sonic Bots (from Colors) and Shadow Androids will return?

Here's my take of Nagoshi's comments on sonic in regards to the online play portion, if this is the case and go through with making another multiplayer game, I hope they don't release it and then treat it like abandonware day one just like they did with Team Sonic Racing, and give the game post-launch support for a a year or two at least.

• Thumbs Up 2