Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

A Sonic Unleashed Port would have been a perfect release this week to coincide with Holloween. The Werehog is perfect for the holiday. Alas, another missed opportunity. 

11 minutes ago, Nathan said:

I whould love a sonic adventure 1 and 2 remake or sonic adventure 3

So would I. I’d settle for SA1 and SA2 remastered with the latest graphics, like 343 did to Halo Combat Evolve Anniversary

Okay so here is a recap of weirdness from Sonic's recent social posts:

- Aaron giving us his goodbye after 5 years with one final puzzle "Fire tests Gold".

- The golden section which contained a 3, in a Super Sonic SA1 pic of all places.

- 3 types, with a modified Sonic, which they then decided to delete.

We got 3, gold = rings? 

fire tests gold.png

3 tease.jpg

EkdpQzcX0AAB_h4.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/31/2020 at 6:38 PM, Jack out of the comics! said:

I haven't been following the Sonic Twittter recently, When was this?

On 10/31/2020 at 6:38 PM, Jack out of the comics! said:

- Aaron giving us his goodbye after 5 years with one final puzzle "Fire tests Gold".

- The golden section which contained a 3, in a Super Sonic SA1 pic of all places.

We got 3, gold = rings? 

fire tests gold.png

3 tease.jpg

EkdpQzcX0AAB_h4.jpg

Not to get into conspiracy theory territory here, but that's a deliberate edit with the blue arms. I wouldn't be surprised if that's foretelling of things to come in the new game. 

Also, why is that palmtree in front of Sonic's quill, but behind his hand?

33 minutes ago, Betz said:

Not to get into conspiracy theory territory here, but that's a deliberate edit with the blue arms. I wouldn't be surprised if that's foretelling of things to come in the new game. 

It's a tweet they deleted, and replaced with another cheap meme. I don't know the context, if it was done on purpose to let us speculate, if it's a generic meme, even though it seems they put effort in there, even recoloring Sonic's arms like in the movie, I dunno if it's a redesign for the games. But they did play with the "cursed meme" aspect of it for the blue arms, at least that's what I interpreted.

It's definitely conspiracy territory where I'm getting at, but yep, tarot cards usually are used to predict the future = future games, and it ties into the number 3.

2 hours ago, celsowm said:

With Genda buying a huge part of Sega, I am concerned about if the original Sonic 30th plans will be maintained

Who is Genda?

this is what i found on the wikipedia for SEGA! 

In September 2020, Sega closed its long-standing arcade in Akihabara, and in November, Sega Sammy sold most of its ownership in the division to Genda Inc, planning to be completely out of the arcade operation business by the end of 2020 though will continue to produce arcade games.

About the posts from Aaron, they are very intriguing!  It is likely that one of the new games, whether 2D or 3D, would have Sonic, Tails and Knuckles as playable characters.  There are some other ideas that seem to fit but it they are all very speculative!

18 hours ago, celsowm said:

With Genda buying a huge part of Sega, I am concerned about if the original Sonic 30th plans will be maintained

Genda has bought the Japanese amusements division, as SEGA was making absolute jack from it thanks to COVID. It's about as far divorced from Sonic as possible. 

(Also despite the sale, SEGA's still making arcade games and the arcades themselves will still be branded as SEGA anyway)

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/2/2020 at 5:47 AM, Betz said:

From there, anyone else remember “Her Red Ring”, the “Texas” weirdness, “Project Death Egg Sigma”, and so on? Those didn’t go anywhere, sadly. I’m still hoping for these to go somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2020 at 10:38 PM, Jack out of the comics! said:

We got 3, gold = rings? 

fire tests gold.png

3 tease.jpg

EkdpQzcX0AAB_h4.jpg

The only 2 games that came out in 2015 were Sonic Runners and Sonic Dash 2 Sonic Boom.

Maybe we are getting a Sonic Runners 2 for Sonic’s 30th Anniversary! Would be cheap and easy for Sega to make.

!!!  Maybe there has been a game in various stages of development since 2015, that was always planned for the 30th anniversary??  That is just about the amount of time they would need to create something that would be the true next leap forward. 

The 2015 reference is possibly more to do with the year Aaron Webber rejoined SEGA and the subsequent transformation of Sonic's comparatively corporate social media presence into one of whimsical meme-ery and clue-dropping. I think this was hinting at his departure from that position.

Having said that, I've always pondered if "This next chapter belongs to you" could refer to some kind of Sonic version of Mario Maker, with fan created levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

Frankly I think SA remake is a possibility. We've had remakes of newer games to this day and well, Sonic Mania which was a sequel to Mega Drive games was a success so another nostalgia pandering wouldn't hurt. Of course they've lost the love and touch with lack of many original Sonic Team members so I dunno do the want to risk the reputation of one of the series most succesful titles.

Personally I hope they stay away from SA because that game is just timeless and doesn't need to be remade.

What I do hope is to have a simple but GOOD Sonic game in gameplay value of Colors and Gens. It would be neat to have that Adventure style gameplay roulette with characters like Tails, Knux and Amy on the go, too. As for the plot it seriously doesn't have to be anything groundbreaking but just don't make it as corny as the titles before.

And again about the characters, I just mentioned the classic quadro but I don't mind more modern characters appearing too, actually I don't think there is any single Sonic character that I flatout hate.

After a while of thinking about it, I think I'm kinda done talking about the possibilities of the next sonic game with you guys. If you think the next game is gonna be good, bad or whatever, all the power to ya, but I just can't give a damn about your opinions anymore. I'm tired of being upset & sad about people being pessimistic and sad that "sonic is never gonna be the same again." It's just utterly tiresome for me. same goes for the people thinking it's gonna be the best thing ever created or it SHOULD be. I'm just gonna tell you that: NO, it doesn't need to be the third coming of Christ for sonic to "finally be back," it just needs to be ACTUALLY FREAKING GOOD. For now, I'm just gonna go by my own way. If the next sonic game looks interesting I'm just gonna pick it up whenever it drops, and If I like it then so be it. I won't care about the potentially massive hate-base the next game could get, since none of it affects me in the slightest.

If you actually have doubts about the next sonic game, don't take this as a personal attack, I'm just getting tired of feeling like your displeasure has any affect on me in the slightest, when it CLEARLY doesn't. I may pop in on this thread every once and awhile to see what stuff you guys are bickering about, but It's time I let this whole thread thing go.

I think this has more to do with expectations. Despite Forces sucking a lot, some people really expect the next game to "make or break" the franchise. No... Sonic is not gonna be doomed or saved.

There will be ups and downs, ups like the movie (and sequels???), IDW, shorts, merch, Mania and Plus, there will be things like TSR which has ups and downs in itself, the very forgettable Tokyo 2020 and the bad like Forces. Sonic will never be a 100% glorious and golden icon if that's what you want, so tone down your expectations. 

SEGA is clearly upset about how Forces was, they want to ignore its reaction but they can't run from it forever, I hope this also means they are working hard to change the situation, games wise. Don't be scared of fans and critics, just IMPROVE and put effort.

• Thumbs Up 4

I hardly think anyone is asserting that the next game makes or breaks the series. But many have expressed that it will make or break their own continued interest/investment in the franchise, which is absolutely valid. I'm not a lifelong fan, I only got into Sonic 3 or 4 years ago now. But I've fostered a really strong love for him in that time. That said, the elements that hooked and inspired me have been completely missing from the series for well over the past decade.

I'm mostly morbidly curious at this point to see how they fail the series again for the next game, as it's crystal clear they aren't interested in catering to fans who miss mastering Sonic's physics to  express themselves in creative ways (which was literally the defining trait that set him apart from all other platformers,) as well as intriguing lore as a backdrop against stylish, endearing, and nuanced characters in plots that respect themselves and the player. I hope the next game features at least one of the above, but I have every reason to doubt it will.

And even if it somehow does manage to rekindle that spark, there's no guarantee that they'll build a stable franchise out of it and consistently deliver. I do wonder if they'll ever earn that trust, but they certainly don't have it now. That's the reason for all the anxiety in the fanbase over the next game. Other series don't have the utterly FUBAR track record of Sonic the Hedgehog. Other fandoms don't have to deal with so many concerns and questions and doubts and tribalism because it's highly unusual to have such an inconsistent output as Sonic has--precisely because it hurts the brand.

The reason we're the laughingstock of video games is largely because of SEGA's failure to respect the brand. The last time this series had any real sort of ambition or passion for what it wanted to be and--maybe more importantly: where it wanted to go, was 06. How sad is that? They are--to this day--ridiculed for caring as much as they did back then. What reason do they have to start caring again? It's immaterial if the games are good or not. Sonic prints money.

So I'm with you, iambitter21; people really should sober up, as it's really not a big deal. I'd much rather try and make something myself that captures the spirit of what endeared me to this series so much, than suffer whatever new embarrassments are sure to come from the mascot franchise of a dying company whose best days are behind it. 

Tl;dr you're right, it's silly to care so much. Sorry for the rant. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, HPX said:

I hardly think anyone is asserting that the next game makes or breaks the series. But many have expressed that it will make or break their own continued interest/investment in the franchise, which is absolutely valid. I'm not a lifelong fan, I only got into Sonic 3 or 4 years ago now. But I've fostered a really strong love for him in that time. That said, the elements that hooked and inspired me have been completely missing from the series for well over the past decade.

I'm mostly morbidly curious at this point to see how they fail the series again for the next game, as it's crystal clear they aren't interested in catering to fans who miss mastering Sonic's physics to  express themselves in creative ways (which was literally the defining trait that set him apart from all other platformers,) as well as intriguing lore as a backdrop against stylish, endearing, and nuanced characters in plots that respect themselves and the player. I hope the next game features at least one of the above, but I have every reason to doubt it will.

And even if it somehow does manage to rekindle that spark, there's no guarantee that they'll build a stable franchise out of it and consistently deliver. I do wonder if they'll ever earn that trust, but they certainly don't have it now. That's the reason for all the anxiety in the fanbase over the next game. Other series don't have the utterly FUBAR track record of Sonic the Hedgehog. Other fandoms don't have to deal with so many concerns and questions and doubts and tribalism because it's highly unusual to have such an inconsistent output as Sonic has--precisely because it hurts the brand.

The reason we're the laughingstock of video games is largely because of SEGA's failure to respect the brand. The last time this series had any real sort of ambition or passion for what it wanted to be and--maybe more importantly: where it wanted to go, was 06. How sad is that? They are--to this day--ridiculed for caring as much as they did back then. What reason do they have to start caring again? It's immaterial if the games are good or not. Sonic prints money.

So I'm with you, iambitter21; people really should sober up, as it's really not a big deal. I'd much rather try and make something myself that captures the spirit of what endeared me to this series so much, than suffer whatever new embarrassments are sure to come from the mascot franchise of a dying company whose best days are behind it. 

Tl;dr you're right, it's silly to care so much. Sorry for the rant. 

So games like Mania and Unleashed “didn’t care”, then. What about those? Why do they not count as having passion? 

24 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

So games like Mania and Unleashed “didn’t care”, then. What about those? Why do they not count as having passion?

These games were both reactions to outside pressures. Very well crafted, to be sure. But Unleashed exists in direct response to the endless criticisms that 'nobody wants to play as Sonic's shitty friends' or that Sonic should only be about going fast; even its core mechanic is lifted from a handheld spinoff they didn't even make.

Mania is a nostalgia piece that was passionately pitched and crafted by fan developers and should by no means be attributed to Sonic Team proper, even if they did assist.

I'm not tearing these games down. Again, they're well made. But they didn't spring up from a creative well of autonomy. They come from a frustrated and confused place, and neither of them looked forward, which was my biggest point above. They're both bandaids to a bigger issue, which is that Sonic hasn't known what it wants to be since 2006.

• Thumbs Up 3

Half of what you're saying is true, in that the executive order was due to those things. But Unleashed was made from a newly-staffed Sonic Team that had a bunch of new faces so excited to make the best game possible that they made two developer blogs about it, and Mania's team was.. well, Sonic Retro veterans that pitched the game to Sega themselves. Both were certainly passion projects.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1