Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Fuck the comic, let's shoot for Honey in Mania 2

I sadly don't think Mania 2 is gonna happen at this point

But if it did? Oh god you know I'd be the first to demand Honey in there. 

I actually forgot the IDW Classic series is supposed to be happening. 

That Sonic 2 Master System ending reference with Tails tho.

Weird that we live in a timeline where freaking Sonic Adventure 3 is more likely than a new Classic Sonic title.

• Chuckle 1

On 10/31/2020 at 6:38 PM, Jack-ted said:

EkdpQzcX0AAB_h4.jpg

So, this is my first time seeing this image and I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I just wanted to say something that I've been thinking about something for a while now. Basically shortly after the Sonic movie dropped is when it dawned on me and I think it's pretty obvious, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it... I'm pretty positive SEGA is going to canonically have blue armed Sonny Boi running around going forward. They've been trying to implement it since Sonic Boom and honestly, it's finally grown on me. I'm with it at this point. Just gimme a good game. And brand-wise, it would make sense. None of the other characters have flesh colored arms besides Amy and Mighty, whom neither could really pull off as well, aesthetically speaking. 

So basically, 2000's kids: you remember how stupid it sounded when you found out everyone freaked out over the g r e e n e y e r e v e a l? ...It's (most likely) your turn.

Interesting thought, but not so certain about that myself. Sonic continues to show up in new artwork with beige arms aside from that one deleted image. And given that the internet wasn't able to whip up collective hysteria in the way it can nowadays, I don't think there was a huge freakout about the green eyes reveal back then. That situation was reserved for Sonic 4.

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

I sadly don't think Mania 2 is gonna happen at this point

But if it did? Oh god you know I'd be the first to demand Honey in there. 

i think it would be strange to make all this noise about bringing back Classic Sonic and then do functionally nothing with it outside of more merch but I guess if they wanted to do a sequel it would have been done by now. It's been 3 years. 

Its not like a 2D game costs all that much to make. The fact that we haven't heard anything since Mania plus in 2018 is strange to say the least.

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

i think it would be strange to make all this noise about bringing back Classic Sonic and then do functionally nothing with it outside of more merch but I guess if they wanted to do a sequel it would have been done by now. It's been 3 years. 

Pretty much my thoughts too.

Not that I don't expect them to do 2D Sonic again, but I expect a Modern 2D title more, and given the previous Modern 2D titles (and obviously, my love of Classic Sonic), I am a bit apprehensive about that. On paper it's a totally fine idea, but with the previous games in mind, a somewhat irrational part of me would be miffed (and moreso if it wound up just as bad as those games; whatever they do, for the love of god, keep DIMPS away from it). 

4 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Pretty much my thoughts too.

Not that I don't expect them to do 2D Sonic again, but I expect a Modern 2D title more, and given the previous Modern 2D titles (and obviously, my love of Classic Sonic), I am a bit apprehensive about that. On paper it's a totally fine idea, but with the previous games in mind, a somewhat irrational part of me would be miffed (and moreso if it wound up just as bad as those games; whatever they do, for the love of god, keep DIMPS away from it). 

I think another classic collection is coming and that'll be it for 2D Sonic in the foreseeable future. I can't see them working on two decently sized Sonic plaformers at once in house anymore. Sega is putting more of the bodies that used to go on Sonic into other ventures and it's working out well for them.

I guess the main Sonic game could be 2D/2D inspired. That's also pretty likely.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I guess the main Sonic game could be 2D/2D inspired. That's also pretty likely.

Which of course, would piss off people who want a pure 3D game.

As it stands though, if we're not gonna get a new 2D Classic game made by the Mania team; either Sonic Team will develop one in-house...which means it would have a high chance of failing, and will probably neuter the Classic Sonic branch entirely. 

Or if they choose not to develop anymore 2D titles, they'll just continue to shoehorn Classic into the main 3D games for the foreseeable future. 

I'm not actually totally against the idea of an Iiuzka-Hoshino led 2D Sonic; I totally get the unease with the idea, but as long as they had a good framework to use (why not license the Star Engine, perhaps have Whitehead supervise?), I'd have some confidence at least. 

But even that seems very fanciful, so alas.

I think Wraith's idea that they're just going to release an updated collection of the classic 2D games is the more likely outcome, while they make another 3D game. Whether they'll shoehorn Classic Sonic iconography all over it like they did with Forces is up in the air.

I'm still holding out hope for a Boost game collection of Unleashed, Colors, and Generations...or at least a PC port of the former two along with Heroes, and Shadow's game so that all 3D games can be readily available. 

If the rumors that they're developing a Sonic Adventure remake are true, then that's a good and affordable option for them; updated remasters of the Classic titles, PC ports of the 3D titles, and a remake of Sonic Adventure. Nothing too cost effective. 

I don't like the 2D sections even in the modern games I think are great so I'm not too hot on the idea. Even once you get past the whole interrupting the 3D part of the game thing it's not exactly the most compelling stuff. I haven't completely lost faith in their game design chops like most people but eh..

It might be alright if Iizuka and Hoshino get to be more hands on than they have been though.

You know what would be real fucking baller, if we got all of the Taxman ports of the 2D games in addition to their pitch for a Sonic 3 port. Can we please get that. 

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

i think it would be strange to make all this noise about bringing back Classic Sonic and then do functionally nothing with it outside of more merch

I don't think it strange at all; SEGA makes bank off that merch most likely, it's really ubiquitous. 

• Thumbs Up 3

They know there's an audience for Classic Sonic, so selling more merch while the games focus mainly on Modern Sonic wouldn't be too out there. 

Think the issue is that there's no clear direction for this "two universe" thing; if they're not gonna make any more Classic Sonic games, does that mean the characters exclusive to that branch are forever barred from being used in Modern products? Does that mean they're just gonna continue to force classic iconography into the Modern games? 

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Classic Sonic shows up in the next main 3D game again, he's a big part of the franchise and he isn't getting any games. But still he might be an extra like a skin, that would be harmless, don't you think?

No, keep him out of this. Please. 

Can the next Sonic game just be a 3D one that isn't bad? I'm setting the bar to such a low, vague level right now. Come on, guys, you can hit that for me.

18 minutes ago, azoo said:

Can the next Sonic game just be a 3D one that isn't bad? I'm setting the bar to such a low, vague level right now. Come on, guys, you can hit that for me.

How about a 2D game, with Classic Sonic, but you can play it with 3D glasses.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just wanna point out...the fanbase asked for this. For years, fans bitched and moaned about Classic Sonic not being around, so Sega brought him back and he was a huge ass hit in Generations and Mania. 

Sega is just giving us what we want in the end :V

I just wanted Sonic to roll in a ball down a hill and it work for once..

This entire franchise is a monkey's paw. It just never runs out of fingers to uncurl.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, azoo said:

What do you want it to be on par with?  

3 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

What do you want it to be on par with?  

Generations or Colors maybe? People talk about those like it's a high bar, but "I want a few pretty levels in a game that plays good and has a nice presentation" is a bare minimum for fans of any other game series, haha.

I think most fans DO want a good game. It's just the idea of what constitutes as "good" tends to vary a lot depending on who you talk to :V

But at the very least, I think the bar can be reasonably set at; Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Generations.  Those are like the only games almost everyone can at least agree are "good". Not great, not even amazing. Just good enough. Solid B+ games, or A- depending on how much credit you wanna give. 

I think hoping for a B+ game at least is a reasonable expectation...it's just that we C tier games more often than not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Kuzu said:

You know what would be real fucking baller, if we got all of the Taxman ports of the 2D games in addition to their pitch for a Sonic 3 port. Can we please get that. 

This would be a dream come true. Finally getting a Sonic 3 Remaster (with the original music, beta music or a brand new soundtrack - whatever) bundled in with the Sonic CD, 1&2 remasters. How about a physical release with all those remasters and Mania all on one disc.

Simpsons Bart GIF - Simpsons Bart Simpson - Discover & Share GIFs