Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

To be honest, besides the fact having it on Switch would be nice, I'm not absolutely starving for a Sonic 3 remake anymore. For the same reason I don't want a Sonic Adventure remake - I think the fans already did a more laser-targeted job than I could see an official product doing, even with Tax on board. Sonic 3 AIR is great as is, and then you throw mods into the equation and you can just, build your own tailored Sonic 3 experience, beyond even what 3 Complete offered. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

To be honest, besides the fact having it on Switch would be nice, I'm not absolutely starving for a Sonic 3 remake anymore. For the same reason I don't want a Sonic Adventure remake - I think the fans already did a more laser-targeted job than I could see an official product doing, even with Tax on board. Sonic 3 AIR is great as is, and then you throw mods into the equation and you can just, build your own tailored Sonic 3 experience, beyond even what 3 Complete offered. 

Kind of reminds me of the AM2R and Metroid returns situation; the "fan" remake versus the "official" one. Except in this case, Sega wouldn't really cancel it, but because of that, anything official Sega does will be inevitably compared to the fan product. 

It's highly likely that a Sonic Adventure remake or an enhanced port of Sonic 3 would just be straight up inferior to the DC mods for the former and Sonic 3 A.I.R.  which would of course reinforce that fans can do the series better than Sega. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

On top of all the references, it appears the theme park they're is the Newtrogic High Zone, you can even make out a palm tree in the background. A shame no Chaotix zone got to get the Mania treatment, but it's nice to see it get some love. There's also a Ring constellation in the sky, continuing the trend from the Sonic 2020 logo/art.

Eqq1R1bXcAYJAq7.png.d76a2f96691675e8d8fd746e0edd44db.png

I hope Sonic 3 gets rereleased through more official channels so more people can realize it's the best one but I have more than enough versions of it for a lifetime. 

It's best to never expect Sonic 3 to get a rerelease, because you're basically asking Sega to pick their date for an incoming lawsuit. Even if it released with the proto music / without MJ's music, people will immediately start asking why it doesn't have the 'original' tracks anymore. And since Sonic 3 is pretty beloved by everyone, it'll get media attention from game journalists, and the floodgates will likely open all the same since Brad Buxer, Scirocco, etc aren't exactly long gone or completely inaccessible.

You can't just owe someone money for 20+ years and then suddenly pretend you never owed them money at all. Something about the game would have to be settled in court before it could get a proper rerelease, with or without the music. If it didn't, then Sega would be all kinds of fucked.

It's unfortunate that one of the best games of all time is locked behind problems this severe, but remember what I said about this being a monkey's paw franchise.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 1/1/2021 at 9:31 AM, Tracker_TD said:

This isn't really tied to any predictions, I'm mostly just posting it to scream about the fact Honey the Cat is there, I repeat, HONEY THE CAT IS THERE.

(At best I hope this suggests she could show up in that Classic IDW series somehow...)

Nice to see that Honey is on the safe-list with the other Sonic the Fighters characters: I thought she would be gone like Witchcart and the like.

Not sure if this counts as 30th predictions because the movie won't be out for a couple years, but I have a feeling we're going to start finally seeing more references to Emerald Hill... 2nd movie, Sonic Mania 2sday? I dunno, just something I've been thinking about

All right, here's my shot in the dark at what we're getting for the 30th Anniversary:

Classic:

Sonic Trilogy Mania: A remake of the original 3(3 being one game for our purposes) Sonic games in the Mania engine(since Sega likes to reuse assets) with members of the Mania Team contributing to it's making.  You can play the three games on their own or as one big adventure in an "Arcade Mode".

Modern:

Sonic 3D Collection: A collection of the 3D Sonic Games on one Blu Ray(Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World).  HD resmoothing options available as well as various galleries.

New 3D Sonic Game: What I'm hoping for is a completely 3D Sonic game.  I know I'm probably doing this in vain but they have brought back members of the Sonic Adventure team so here's hoping they're using their knowledge in making a great 3D game again.

Comics:

We're getting a new Classic Sonic mini-series and the IDW series will continue in addition to that.  That's a given.  There's also that sweet hardcover for the first twelve issues.  I will be getting that.

TV:

This is the out there stuff!  We got the complete English run of Sonic on Bluray in SD.  If that can happen, why not SatAM and Adventures on Blu Ray?  If there's anything I want, it's the Japanese run of Sonic X on Bluray.  I'd LOVE that but I know it's a longshot at best.   That's my bet anyway....that, or ANOTHER re-release of Sonic Blast on DVD.  That special seems to stick around.

• My Emmerdoods 2

9 hours ago, 8ther said:

Wait, What?

Hiroshi Nishiyama was the lead field artist for the Adventure titles and he's back now, but that's about it.

Other than that, Sonic Adventure's director is still at Sonic Team, but that's because his name is Takashi Iizuka. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

If he actually directs the game this time, then maybe... Morio directed Forces and Lost World, ain't it? Then again, Iizuka didn't directed the last good 3D Sonic. Man, I just wish we got a 3D game by a team that really breathes the franchise they're working on, like Team Mania was for Sonic Mania, or Sumo was for All-Stars Racing Transformed, Beenox and Toys for Bob were for CTR and C4... Doesn't have to be the best game ever made, but a really solid and fun one, packed with references and stuff to put a smile on your face when you're playing it. Didn't felt that for a 3D Sonic since Generations...

I am not sure who's working on the art direction for the next game. I just pray they realise the "basic" artstyle of the last 2 games which also included simplicity and linearity in gameplay and game design... Is boring, dull, lame, for babies. It's just too easy, and short, uninspired, lazy or rushed, that's how I felt while playing Forces. Lost World was polished at least, but it hardly played like a Sonic game. I appreciated some of the new additions though. 

As for my hopes specifically, they should find a way to blend nostalgia with new ideas, like I would like all-new zones instead of the same old ones just for nostalgic reasons. I understand people want a remake of SA1, and would like to play through a revamped Emerald Coast. But I would still rather have a new game. Seeing as fans want more nostalgia, I will not be surprised if SEGA uses the throwback card again mixed with new stuff. I guess it works for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

My predictions for the next mainline Sonic game:

• Will be announced sometime this year (duh), but...
  • It will come out in 2022, they'll use the excuse that they needed more time cause COVID set them back.
  • The director is still Morio Kishimoto.
  • The composer is still Tomoya Ohtani.
  • Game will be pretty much Sonic Forces 2 but without Classic Sonic, meaning Boost and Avatar will return.
  • Still using Hedgehog Engine 2, but Havok physics engine is abandoned.
  • Level design and controls will be slightly better.
  • Overall the game will be a small improvement over Forces but not the game we've been waiting for

That's about it I guess, either that or a completely new gameplay style. I have a feeling they'll attempt to ripoff Mario Odyssey in some form.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

5 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

My predictions for the next mainline Sonic game:

• Will be announced sometime this year (duh), but...
  • It will come out in 2022, they'll use the excuse that they needed more time cause COVID set them back.
  • The director is still Morio Kishimoto.
  • The composer is still Tomoya Ohtani.
  • Game will be pretty much Sonic Forces 2 but without Classic Sonic, meaning Boost and Avatar will return.
  • Still using Hedgehog Engine 2, but Havok physics engine is abandoned.
  • Level design and controls will be slightly better.
  • Overall the game will be a small improvement over Forces but not the game we've been waiting for

That's about it I guess, either that or a completely new gameplay style. I have a feeling they'll attempt to ripoff Mario Odyssey in some form.

Well, you have "Detective" on your name, so you must got a clue. Is this legit?

1 minute ago, Jango said:

Well, you have "Detective" on your name, so you must got a clue. Is this legit?

My dude, I said predictions.

But I do have a clue for the physics engine, cause I heard they didn't use Havok for Mario & Sonic Tokyo 2020 even though Rio 2016 did. So it is possible they might have changed the physics engine for the next mainline Sonic game. Other than that, this is all just coming from my pessimism. lol

4 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

But I do have a clue for the physics engine, cause I heard they didn't use Havok for Mario & Sonic Tokyo 2020 even though Rio 2016 did. So it is possible they might have changed the physics engine for the next mainline Sonic game. 

They have ditched Havok because of the difference in gameplay requiring it. Did the previous M&S game’s use it?

6 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

My dude, I said predictions.

But I do have a clue for the physics engine, cause I heard they didn't use Havok for Mario & Sonic Tokyo 2020 even though Rio 2016 did. So it is possible they might have changed the physics engine for the next mainline Sonic game. Other than that, this is all just coming from my pessimism. lol

Gasps! I thought you were into something.

• 2 weeks later...

Given what Tyson Hesse has said about Classic Sonic and the total radio silence about a Sonic Mania 2, are chances of a new Classic Sonic game at some point slim? I get they might be going into a new direction, but it'd be weird for them to have created a whole Classic-exclusive branch and then abandon it after one successful game. 

49 minutes ago, Razule said:

Given what Tyson Hesse has said about Classic Sonic and the total radio silence about a Sonic Mania 2, are chances of a new Classic Sonic game at some point slim? I get they might be going into a new direction, but it'd be weird for them to have create a whole Classic-exclusive branch and then abandon it after one sucessful game. 

That's the thing, I'd say they never actually did create a branch. If Sega was serious about continuing to support the Mega Drive part of Sonic with more games (let alone multimedia projects like another comic book line or more shorts), we would have had evidence of them making moves to do so. Like either establishing a partnership/contract with Evening Star/Headcannon/PWG/etc. to make more games; and/or getting another producer, department, and/or studio in charge to helm such efforts. (IIRC Stealth has said he hasn't gotten any calls from Sega to come back for a new project, and other Mania devs also stated they were looking for work after production on Mania Plus ended.)

I think it's always worth recalling that Taxman had to approach Sega/ST with the initial Sonic Discovery pitch as it is, not the other way around; and ST were also focused enough on Forces that they mostly left the team to their own devices (with supervision by Iizuka, Hoshino and a few others); instead of being an extensive co-production between the two parties. (Which FWIW I will say was for the better, given ST's design philosophies).

I think by this point it's clear Mania had no real impact on their future plans for Sonic, it was always greenlit as a one-off they didn't directly create that just happened to also be successful. Maybe this year will reveal a new 2D Sonic to be in the works, but I'll be surprised if it's another Genesis game developed by ES/HC.

• Thumbs Up 2

So Tribot is a character created for April Fool's by SEGA Japan and posted on the Sonic 20th Twitter account last year. She was introduced in such a way to be joke.

The original source of this supposed-leak was 4Chan. Note that anyone can post anything to 4Chan. The vast majority of 4Chan "leaks" are trolls trying it on for a laugh.

There isn't a shred of credibility to this. It order to feign legitimacy, the supposed-leak uses recently confirmed information such the the announcements of Prime and changes to the voice acting and writing talent. When a "leak" rolls around hot on the heels of news instead of the other way around, that should be viewed as a big red flag.

Don't we have a rule about posting unsubstantiated rumours? I legit hate calling these things leaks and rumours, because they aren't. They're bullshit. And even if they did turn out to be legitimate leaks, there's absolutely no reason to believe them to be so.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

I hate to play the devil's avacado, but the last leak we had with credibility was that one of Forces a few years back that talked about the avatar component. So unfortunately I can't 100% write off everything 4chan says. EDIT: no wait that was the Sonic Stadium comments section... wait that's even weirder.

That said, we as a community have got it so bad that when I read "good gameplay" and "a story" I immediately called it as fake. LOL

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

31 minutes ago, azoo said:

I hate to play the devil's avacado, but the last leak we had with credibility was that one of Forces a few years back that talked about the avatar component. So unfortunately I can't 100% write off everything 4chan says. EDIT: no wait that was the Sonic Stadium comments section... wait that's even weirder.

That said, we as a community have got it so bad that when I read "good gameplay" and "a story" I immediately called it as fake. LOL

Right. But the thing is, even that one we had no good reason to believe to be real. Show this one to be when some of the new info in it has been confirmed or the source is somehow proved to be credible/reputable. For all you know, I could be the one who posted it on 4Chan.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

For all you know, I could be the one who posted it on 4Chan.

It could be... Anyone here 👀

But hey, you guys remember Sonic Gauntled? Now that was a good chuckle. I miss those times.

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

For all you know, I could be the one who posted it on 4Chan.

It could be... Anyone here 👀

But hey, you guys remember Sonic Gauntled? Now that was a good chuckle. I miss those times.