Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

For all the talk about leaks like Sonic Rift and the Sonic Adventure remakes and all that stuff, you don't hear people talking about the other leaks that nobody cared about, the stuff that got no traction because only one person of 4chan saw it and replied with "shut the fuck up" and it faded away into obscurity.

I am convinced the only reason 99% of people create these clearly fake leaks is so that they can get a bunch of youtubers to make 5-10 minute long videos about them speculating about whether or not it's BS while the "leaker" is smiling with the biggest shit-eating grin imaginable. It's a competition to see who can get the farthest with their trash, the fandom has become so thirsty for news that bullshit artists are competing amongst each other to see which fake leak can gain the most traction and make it to the top of people's interests and debates, because the fanbase eats it up. It's satisfying for these people to see people debate and ponder over their trolling.

Notice how none of the previous prior to Sonic Prime's title announcement leaked out that title? Did a single leak reveal anything about Sonic Prime? No, of course not. Some did "leak" how a new Sonic show was in development, they all got the details wrong. Now all of them are mentioning Sonic Prime? It's all BS. They just use their imagination to add on to what we already know. When the next game ends up having their title revealed as "Sonic Tacos", then the same dudes are gonna write checklists of what to expect from "Sonic Tacos" and how all the other leaks were obvious BS while they're correct.

Then you have minor things one can notice in leaks that clearly prove it completely wrong. The latest Sonic Rift leak said that his NDA mentioned nothing about telling people what the game was like, and that he playtested the game in America, all of which is absolutely ridiculous. It's all just so tiring, I wish people would stop paying attention to the obvious nonsense.

Ya, this Sonic Unlimited one reeks, it's fake.  Hopefully it gets nowhere too because this one is 101% trash lol.

• Thumbs Up 4

I have been extremely careful to not get my hopes up too far for Sonic adventure 1 remake. It was my first gaming experience back in 1999, and to have it remade would be the fastest pre order i would ever purchase. But given the remix of station square back in 2019, and the fact that the environment of gaming companies has been to port over old games to new consoles, the stars appear to be aligning. The fact that Ryan Drummond might be reprising his role doesnt really affect the game coming out, because they would just use the old voice clips rather than re-record new ones, but im still very excited about Sega's people and Ryan Drummond maybe working something out. 

On 2/3/2021 at 5:21 PM, Milo said:

That's the thing, I'd say they never actually did create a branch. If Sega was serious about continuing to support the Mega Drive part of Sonic with more games (let alone multimedia projects like another comic book line or more shorts), we would have had evidence of them making moves to do so. Like either establishing a partnership/contract with Evening Star/Headcannon/PWG/etc. to make more games; and/or getting another producer, department, and/or studio in charge to helm such efforts. (IIRC Stealth has said he hasn't gotten any calls from Sega to come back for a new project, and other Mania devs also stated they were looking for work after production on Mania Plus ended.)

I think it's always worth recalling that Taxman had to approach Sega/ST with the initial Sonic Discovery pitch as it is, not the other way around; and ST were also focused enough on Forces that they mostly left the team to their own devices (with supervision by Iizuka, Hoshino and a few others); instead of being an extensive co-production between the two parties. (Which FWIW I will say was for the better, given ST's design philosophies).

I think by this point it's clear Mania had no real impact on their future plans for Sonic, it was always greenlit as a one-off they didn't directly create that just happened to also be successful. Maybe this year will reveal a new 2D Sonic to be in the works, but I'll be surprised if it's another Genesis game developed by ES/HC.

There is a lot of evidence of there still being a branch including the licensing brochure from last year. It just...seems to be more for merch, compilations and promotions than game development. It makes sense to a degree, too. I loved Sonic Mania, but I knew that the idea of it outselling Sonic Team's titles was a longshot even if Sonic Forces turned out pretty bad(which is essentially what happened.) Classic Sonic rereleases also do absurdly well too so the plan might be to just rerelease Sonic Mania as much as possible for a while.  It all points toward a strategy based around milking what they've got rather than any upward mobility.   At this point I wonder if Sonic Mania would have been greenlit at all if it didn't have all the old iconography as a selling point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I didn't believed the collection leak even though this time it's coming from someone who actually got some stuff right before, but, after seeing the job description on LinkedIn... let's say... maybe?

9 minutes ago, Jango said:

Yeah, I didn't believed the collection leak even though this time it's coming from someone who actually got some stuff right before, but, after seeing the job description on LinkedIn... let's say... maybe?

The job on LinkedIn suggests more about the PC platforms than it does the games. I mean, it's possible that it could be both new to PC and new PC platforms, meaning something like Unleashed on Stadia/Luna/Origin. But it definitely sounds more like existing PC games on new PC platforms.

Some people were wondering if someone was masquerading as me for that blog post, but nah, that's me haha. 

Oh, and to the one person who said I was an "Adventure fan", noooope. Lol, I don't find either of those games particularly good.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Zippo said:

Some people were wondering if someone was masquerading as me for that blog post, but nah, that's me haha. 

Oh, and to the one person who said I was an "Adventure fan", noooope. Lol, I don't find either of those games particularly good.

Guess this is a good a time as any to break back into my account here.

Have any names to leak or anything? And on top of that, I've been seeing a lot of videos asking how you could know anything from Sega as your primarily a Nintendo leaker.

I hope to God what you've said is true.

12 hours ago, Zippo said:

Any chances of an announcements this month?

17 hours ago, celsowm said:

Well, we've already had two, technically, but yes, I think so.

We haven't had an Official Sonic Livestream since the year started. Maybe that means nothing, but isn't that a bit sus to anyone else? Maybe I'm nuts.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Well, we've already had two, technically, but yes, I think so.

We haven't had an Official Sonic Livestream since the year started. Maybe that means nothing, but isn't that a bit sus to anyone else? Maybe I'm nuts.

Gonna just say this quick though; Spring announcements are quite normal for this series. February is a bit on the earlier side of things for sure, but March - May is what we normally expect anyway.

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Gonna just say this quick though; Spring announcements are quite normal for this series. February is a bit on the earlier side of things for sure, but March - May is what we normally expect anyway.

Yeah, that does make sense. Something, minor or major, between now and the end of March is very likely. Though, very much leaning towards major.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, celsowm said:

Spring announcements are pretty common, so expect them to start flooding in around mid-March. We could get a couple this month (seeing as though Prime just got announced) but don't hold your breath.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/26/2020 at 10:51 AM, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I was going to post this in the other thread but it's not 2019 anymore.

What do you see as the most likely new entries for Sonic by 2021? In other words, predict (based on the loads on evidence we have now 😉) what direction you really think the next title(s) will go in.

For me, I'll do this in ascending order:

3) Sonic Forces Sequel: Forces was released to mediocre reviews and many diehard fans didnt seem to like it at all. However, it seemed to do okay with sales. Whatever ST has been working on, if development started last year I dont think they would be building something from scratch unless they had a lot of confidence. I think they might prefer to iterate on the things that have worked for them recently, including some elements of Forces which were received positively and just refine further.

2) Sonic Adventure remake: SEGA knows its diehard fans of the 2000s era have been wanting some more adventure love for a long time now. Sonic Adventure was an impressive debut back in 1998 and though it aged poorly, many of Sonics competitors have been remaking games lately. The conditions are ripe to try this formula again and refine its rougher parts. Iizuka has also expressed interest in this and said he would revisit the style of game when interest climbed high enough. I do not, however, think there is likely to be a game called Sonic Adventure 3. Definitely not now.

1) An all new 3D title: After the success of Mania, ST were shocked to see how successful the original formula still was. The games was the most popular release in 20 years and had them investigating why it did so well and how they could incorporate elements of it in their next 3D title (I forgot the exact interview but they have clearly been watching the success of Mania). I think they will actually try another reboot of 3D Sonic, probably not in a major way like Boom, but I do think they will try to reintroduce that style to 3D in some capacity....a new era so to speak with a different style. I also think they will try to incorporate some elements from Sonic Adventure. I don't know the marketing angle but it could be a way to move forward with just one Sonic in a major 3D title. If Mania gets a sequel it will probably follow this title in close proximity. I also suspect they've wanted to do this for years now but they didn't have their ideas worked out fully and released Forces instead.

I think we'll start to hear about the direction, whatever it is, sometime this spring.

I forgot I made this thread.

My OP #1 is looking to be the most likely actually. Seems a small reboot is likely on the way, with a probable return to 3D platforming. No clue on the 2D games though.

For a while there, the feeling was getting stronger that we were getting some kind of adventure redo. However Its not been confirmed or denied yet, although most of the rumors have been debunked from what I've seen recently. I've been on something of a hiatus with Sonic and may resume it soon again but from what I've been seeing, the energy around speculation and the actual reveal is rising. Or maybe it just seems that way because I'm paying more attention now than I was a few months ago. Ugh....the cycle strikes again.

Goes to show what happens when you listen to commentary inside a bubble. Adventure fans tbh are really loud right now and dominating most online conversation, and that energy is carrying over into people's expectations. Could also be true though, as a company you want to see a rabid fanbase that loves your stuff. If I were SEGA I definitely would be trying to do something for them this year. I truly do hope ya'll get some of what you want this time around. 

#3 is mostly ruled out at this point. I mean, technically its not but replacing the entire cast among other things seems to be hinting strongly in a different direction. Its strange how time flies. I didnt think Roger was going anywhere anytime soon....but its been over a decade. He had a long run.

I can't speak to what I predict is coming next, but what I can say is that out of all the possibilities what I honestly want most is a sonic adventure remake. 

It isn't likely I'm going to get what I want and what I prefer out of this series much going forward, especially considering I haven't gotten that anyway in well well over a decade. Sonic adventure is probably my favorite segment of this franchise (along with sonic heroes, but I know with certainty my preference for that game won't ever be satiated by any official outlet any time soon) and I already routinely replay sa1, so getting that remake would hold me over for years. At least assuming it's true to the original and doesn't do stupid shit like changing the dialogue to make it more in line with sonic post colors, or change sonic's gameplay or whatever.

Honestly super excited at the idea of an sa1 remake.

On 2/4/2021 at 3:06 PM, McGroose said:

For all the talk about leaks like Sonic Rift and the Sonic Adventure remakes and all that stuff, you don't hear people talking about the other leaks that nobody cared about, the stuff that got no traction because only one person of 4chan saw it and replied with "shut the fuck up" and it faded away into obscurity.

I am convinced the only reason 99% of people create these clearly fake leaks is so that they can get a bunch of youtubers to make 5-10 minute long videos about them speculating about whether or not it's BS while the "leaker" is smiling with the biggest shit-eating grin imaginable. It's a competition to see who can get the farthest with their trash, the fandom has become so thirsty for news that bullshit artists are competing amongst each other to see which fake leak can gain the most traction and make it to the top of people's interests and debates, because the fanbase eats it up. It's satisfying for these people to see people debate and ponder over their trolling.

Or alternately, Sonic news YouTubers themselves are making up leaks so they get clicks.

But what is really pathetic is when leaks that are probably fake list features that are so tediously standard for Modern Sonic that they still feel real.

25 minutes ago, 8ther said:

I listened to less than a minute of this video from the timestamp and he already spouted a number of falsehoods. Mind giving us all the rundown so we don't have to watch almost 15 minutes of this drivel?

14 minutes ago, azoo said:

His only sources are some guys saying "SA1/2 remakes are definitely happening guys, trust me".

Well that sure convinces me, yes it does. 

I don't understand though, why are the Sonictubers listening to wild and random rumors like Rift and not to Zippo which seems more plausible and he may be a bit more reliable as a source?

5 hours ago, Jack-ted said:

I don't understand though, why are the Sonictubers listening to wild and random rumors like Rift and not to Zippo which seems more plausible and he may be a bit more reliable as a source?

They've spent the last however many months bigging up the Rift shlock to their viewers, so presumably they're just trying to save face in a bid to not look like frauds.

(they're frauds) 

• Thumbs Up 5

There's a new economy around sonic rumors. 

FWIW I don't exactly believe the zippo leaks either. It really doesn't make any sense to shelf classic sonic after mania at all and secondly, zippo actually did just more or less give his opinions on what he thinks will happen. His opinions, tbh, are fairly worthless in speculating what the next game will be if it's not him actually seeing something or being told something. No disrespect intended either, I'm not suggesting he isn't a credible leaker but this isn't really a "leak".

I think 2021 will involve classic and "adventure" styles sonics in a not insignificant way and I've thought that for at least the last year or so. Maybe in separate projects but both audiences will get attention.