Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

For me, the "magic" of the Adventure era is Tikal and the Knucles Clan, then the M.E. autel inside the space colony A.R.K., the mystic melodies with the Knuckles Tribe pedestals... and the mysteries surrounding Shadow the Hedgehog and Eggman's family!!...

And I'll add Chaos / the Chao...

On 4/3/2021 at 8:18 PM, OwlEyes said:

hi all, lurker for 20 years - first post ever.

i read the first page, then the last.

I do not have a prediction, but I really am hoping they do a continuation of Mania and that we can somehow get around the music issues so we can revisit Ice Cap and Carnival Zone again.

Oh and as an intro - I grew up playing sonic. dad brought the game home to me when i was 3 in 1991 and I never stopped loving sonic..... comics, cartoons, games.... so i guess it's no surprise being an old hag that I am that mania and the classic sonic is my everything.

hoping for more classic mania type releases. ❤️

Welcome! I wouldn't consider 32-33 to be "old hag", but I'm 28 so I'm not far from your age. I also grew up with the classic games, cartoons, and comics a bit, although I was very young.

On 4/3/2021 at 5:34 PM, celsowm said:

I have a feeling that "new game 2015" was referring to the Boom titles.

4 hours ago, OwlEyes said:

Can someone please explain to me what the magic of the adventure era was because I don’t get it.... is it a nostalgia thing kinda like all us ppl that love mania?

I guess 4-5 years age difference really does matter here.

My brother got Dreamcast on U.S. launch day, only console we ever got on launch. This was our first 3D console and one of the first 3D games I ever played (not counting 3D Blast because). I would've been like 6-7 years old. I guess I was highly impressionable at that age. The game just blew me away. The loud rock music that was so different from the Genesis games, the new graphical art style, the darker themed and more expansive stories with 6 playable characters,... it seemed mature to me somehow and that made it "cool". Also it's one of the few times we had full control of a 3D Sonic.

I guess being 11-12 would've made this all seem a bit corny and like it was "trying too hard" from what you were used to. I was the same way with Heroes, and Sonic X, so when Zoomers go on about how those were the best, I have a similar reaction. It's an age thing I suppose.

But yeah it is nostalgia I suppose as well.

The magic of Sonic Adventure is right in the name, ADVENTURE.
Treating the game more then a game, but a full on experience.
We get to see the characters in their daily lives, explore a town, discover a mystery.
Our Heroes get a little character development. Lot of fun little side activities to flesh out the experience.

So in a way, it's the complete opposite of Sonic Mania, that was more about streamlining the experience, keeping it simple and to focused on clean gameplay mechanics.
To me, Sonic Adventure is Legend of Zelda, Sonic Mania is Tetris.
A more messy Zelda... And a more complex Tetris. But, y'know. General attitude.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses, Mania is the better game, but anything beyond it's gameplay is boring and empty to me.
No adventure or any kind of experience beyond "You're videogame man in videogame land. Oh look, it's that level that was a level in that other videogame"
Just the intro sequences say it all, one has a giant mysterious monster destroying a city with our heroes in exciting set pieces, the other has everyone bouncing around in an empty abstract void with "Sonic Levels" portals.

So yeah, what kind of game do you want.
A clean well designed, well executed game, but with little flair, world building or adventure to it.
Or a grand emotional adventure, but with a everything and the kitchen sink attitude and severe rough edges.
Mania versus Adventure.
Gameplay versus experience.

Well, in a perfect world we'd have both.
In a more likely world, we'll have neither.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Sonic 3 has both. :V

And very well-said, Roger! Although say what you will about story focus and worldbuilding, I'd actually argue Mania has BUCKETS of flair and passion pouring out of its every pixel. The devs were making THE game of their dreams, and I could really feel that sense of joy all the way through it.

For me when it comes to Sonic, gameplay is paramount. It doesn't really matter all that much how well or how poorly the rest of the package is executed, because I tend to view story elements in video games almost as bonus features. It's a side-dish, and I don't want it distracting from the main content.

So it follows that some of my most favorite games in the series (and indeed, my favorite games EVER) can get there regardless of how much or how little story content they have. Like, Sonic Generations' story was underwhelming, and ESPECIALLY disappointing given how much I'd enjoyed Colors'. Given the concept of the game, not doing more with it than that seemed like a missed opportunity. But Generations is still one of my favorites, because stuff like that is tertiary to the appeal of Sonic games for me.

So, that's what I'm hoping for when it comes to the 30th. Gimme some good video games. :P

On 4/5/2021 at 1:07 PM, OwlEyes said:

Can someone please explain to me what the magic of the adventure era was because I don’t get it.... is it a nostalgia thing kinda like all us ppl that love mania?

The Adventure era, spanning from anywhere from 1998 to 2006 (arguably even 2008 or 2009) depending on who you ask, is markedly different to what the series is now. Gameplay was different, the stories were different, the use of characters was different... The series back then was just a totally different beast to what the series is now. There's going to be nostalgia involved for sure, there always is. But the other part of it is genuinely preferring what the series was back then. Sonic as it is right now is incredibly stale, bland and uninteresting to a large number of fans. And it's not even like it's bland in favour of being high quality. It's just so... bleh. What they loved about the series in the past seems to have been totally cast aside. Forces tried to rekindle some of the Adventure era spirit but failed miserably to understand what the appeal even was.

If you don't like the Adventure era, then that's fine. What exactly don't you "get" though? 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Way Past Cool 1

8 minutes ago, OwlEyes said:

I could go into detail but that’s not important. Thanks for sharing. :)

Oh please, do go into detail. It's easy for people to put on their rose-tinted lenses when it comes to thinking about the Adventure days and forget about the problems that the series had back then. From the sound of it, you aren't particularly keen on what the games in those days offered and would rather the series leaned in a different direction?

• Thumbs Up 2

I’ll take it if true. It’s not Unleashed or Gens imo, but I appreciated colors enough to be somewhat happy to hear it may see a Re-release 

Nobody's pointed out yet how the link to the item is /sonic generations/.

I wonder if it's a collection of sort

Now that's kinda funny: if the remastered version keeps the english voice files, Roger's first and last main Sonic title could be Sonic Colors.

• Thumbs Up 3

I like Colours so I'm so down for a new release. Perhaps what Zippo said about a new "collection" of games really is true and hopefully other 3d Sonic games such as Gens & Unleashed are getting ported/remastered as well.

https://www.sogamely.com/shop/advanced-search?search=SONIC+COLORS+ULTIMATE

It's called Sonic Colours Ultimate and it's (currently) only listed for PS4, XB1 and Switch. Nothing about PS5 and XBX, yet at least.

This is the first 3D Sonic game to get a re-master/remake since SADX and SA2B on the Gamecube. Furthermore, it seems like it's being dubbed in German, which is new. SEGA didn't start dubbing the games in languages other than English and Japanese until Generations. 

No idea what this game will entail,.whether it'll be a remake, remaster, direct port or whatever. But it's at least got dubs in new languages. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

It would be awesome if they did what KH1.5+2.5 did and gave us an updated ost, but I’d be totally okay with the current one as well

I wonder, since RCS isn't voicing Sonic anymore, did they bother redubbing it in english? Or is this just going to be his last role?

I never got to play Colors since it was Wii-exclusive, so that's cool. Seems like a random choice though.

• Thumbs Up 1

As someone who doesn't like Colors for it being the start of the series' direction I don't personally like, and more specifically for an English script I don't like... it'll be pretty disappointing if a remaster of Smith's first Sonic game replaces him. Wouldn't really be fair to the new Sonic actor to have to replace someone else's work and I think it'd suck for Smith's work to be erased in that fashion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Concerning the voices... Think about it this way. Colours cutscenes are all pre-rendered, 30fps, 480p videos compressed for Wii playback. SEGA are lazy when it comes to Sonic, but fuck I don't think they'll put those cutscenes in a remastered HD game. We'll be seeing the cutscenes re-rendered for this release, maybe the original videos that were compressed for Wii playback. If there are any changes to the cutscenes or the rest of the game at all that requires new voice work, it'll be a whole new dub. Sonic and Tails VAs from Colours have both left the series now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Given the pricepoint for the rumored limited edition, and with it being a physical release, I don't think it'll be much more than an upressed port.

Maybe they still have the cutscene animation files, with those they could re-render them, that's what Nintendo did with Galaxy on 3D All-Stars.

If limited is 35€/$, Standard will probably be 20€/$, and I don't see them pouring more effort than needed into it. I'm surprised they localized it in German tho, so maybe?