Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

3 minutes ago, azoo said:

Gonna be real with yall, I don't want any remasters or a collection as the main meal. I'm so tired of talking about these same games, man. lol

Starved for years and turning your nose up at scraps.

Yeah dude I'm with you. I'll take this as a bonus (Unleashed would have been much better though), but it'll suck hard if this is all we get.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

6 minutes ago, azoo said:

Gonna be real with yall, I don't want any remasters or a collection as the main meal. I'm so tired of talking about these same games, man. lol

Ditto 😤

Colors was decent at best and far from deserving of a remastered edition, IMHO. If this is in fact real, I'm very indifferent toward the news.

Unless they're giving us this in place of a proper NEW game to placate us for Sonic's 30th anniversary, in which case I'm annoyed by the news.

• Thumbs Up 4

I mean, didn't Mario got a LIMITED collection meal for its birthday aswell? I guess SEGA looked at it and thought "hm, what if...". I'm 99% sure it WON'T be just Sonic Colors, believe that. I think it's gonna be Colors, Generations and... Sigh... Forces, all in one, eventhough Forces is already on PS4/One/Switch, but hey, this is SEGA. 

I just hope this collection follows Sonic's own legacy in terms of presentation and bonus content, and NOT Super Mario 3D All-Stars. I want all that sweet concept art, remixes, cool menus (and awesome menu music), behind the scene videos and the likes, not just THE GAMES. I know, all stuff you can easily find on the internet nowadays, but still.

a lot of people who worked on Sonic Colors are still at sega, so if any game was likely to get some extra content in a remake it'd be this. I still wouldn't bet money on it but it's a thought.

• Thumbs Up 2

I truly hope colors is not the MAIN thing they planned for sonics 30th. While a pretty wii game it is also where the writing took a swift nosedive into the ground. Though those writers are now said to be gone from the series i believe. Sonics had some elements of silly story telling at times such as the commander and his grudge with shadow in shadow *granted had they actually flushed that game out more it could have worked out to explain his relationship with Maira more* but colors is when the series started to become meme folder.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be down for Colours on PC as a bonus, I doubt it will be the main thing they announce when they get to the day, but I also hope this isn't the only remaster/port we get.

I'm sure that this isn't supposed to be the main thing for the anniversary, but there's definitely a non-zero chance the main game was delayed to next year.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Razule said:

I'm sure that this isn't supposed to be the main thing for the anniversary, but there's definitely a non-zero chance the main game was delayed to next year.

Ohhhh do you have insider info? 😏😏

Highly doubt this is all there is (remember the "multiple Sonic games for the 30th" press info?) but if it is the only thing they reveal I think that would make me laugh my ass off.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Well I for one liked Colors so I'm happy. 

I do kinda hope it's not all we're getting obviously but I'm ok with HD Colors I just hope that they consider doing HD ports of other games and of course that we get a new one too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Colors is one of my favorite games and it's a shame that it's not currently playable in HD. I'll be very happy with Sonic Colors HD...but I won't be very satisfied if that's all we get this year.

It's been a long time guys. Last time I was excited for a 3D Sonic game was 2013 ahead of SLW.

Forces disappointed me from it's announcement trailer and never stopped. I can't remember ever looking forward to it and even then it still managed to disappoint me when I picked it up like a year after release.

I just want to see something that makes me feel again like I did when the first footage of Sonic Unleashed leaked or when we got the surprise announcement of Sonic Colors or the way I felt when Sonic Generations was announced and we see Green Hill for the first time. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I own Sonic Colors for Wii, and I think revisiting it on that platform that will suffice for me. I didn't hate it or anything, but felt largely underwhelmed by it. Generations is the only boost game that has ever really appealed to me, so I don't expect Colors will do anything more for me the second time around. I know Colors has its fans and was at the time a critical darling, so I won't speak ill toward anyone excited at seeing it again, especially in 4K.

But yeah, I'm definitely in the crowd hoping this isn't the big anniversary title. I'd hate to think Sega looked at the reception to Sonic Forces and decided the only logical step was to double down on the boost formula but to just directly recycle when it was positively received. I know that not everyone is a fan of the idea of remaking the adventure games but that at least would entail remaking games made over 20 years ago and likely would bring a fresh perspective on a gameplay style Sega hasn't worked with in a while. Colors is less than half as old as SA1 and was one of the founding titles for the Boost formula. At least a new boost game would bring new concepts such as characters or music to the series's history. Even Generations in 2011 acted as a celebration of the entirety of the brand and saw levels portrayed in ways they hadn't before (except Modern Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp). This as the main offering of the 30th anniversary would be... very disappointing.

But I'm not going to assume that for now, not until we see how Sonic Team actually market this. If this is what Sega's biggest plan is for Sonic in 2021, it'll be clear from the promotional push they give it.

For what it's worth I think the filler parts of Colors, arguably the most disliked stuff of that game is a bit better than Forces main stages. Even in level design, they are more fun although still simple. It's definitely not a high bar, I know.

Anyway, Zippo's leaks:

https://zippospeaks.blogspot.com/2021/02/sonics-30th-anniversary-and-what-to.html

Edit: I've heard a bit more about this. Apparently, there should be a mix of ports and remasters in here. It also should be on everything, including PC and Switch. It should also feature games that have never seen a re-release before.

Additionally, I don't know this as of now, but they may also release them separately as an option, for those that just want one or two of them.

It's edited, not sure when but likely yesterday, I think?

If true, I really want Generations too, and extra content in general, otherwise I'm not too motivated to replay these. And I'll be buying them as a collection hopefully.

Ok a collection that includes Colors as well as others makes more sense to me. Might even be named something else like Ultimate so-and-so. Like I don’t think a collection would be titled under Colors specifically or any one game. That’d be weird. Maybe it’s just a placeholder.

I have not played Colors since it’s release so I don’t know what improvements I’d make off the top of my head. Other than being a Wii exclusive I found it kind of strange only Colors was get a remaster.

What if it’s a Nintendo exclusives collection? Colors, Secret Rings, Black Knight and Lost World? I know Colors is the only one that really got praise but they were all Nintendo only. Just a thought.

Remasters and ports of games that haven't seen a re-release? I'm not gonna get my hopes up, but that could easily apply to Heroes.

A collection would certainly be a good way of celebrating the series - especially if the collection ends up being modular (as in buying what you want from it rather than getting no choice but to own all of it), but like others, I do hope there's a new game coming - even if it has been delayed further than when it originally was meant to come. As long as they tell us that something is coming, that'll be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm confused why everyone assumes on default that Sonic Team themselves would be working on the remaster and it would be their main project.
Pretty sure remasters and remakes are delegated to smaller teams, with main Sonic Team just supporting from a distance.
I mean, I don't know if that's true or not, but that would be my first assumption.

Tough if it's true and they spend 4 years working non stop on only a Sonic Colors remastered.... Then I expect some insane HUGE improvements.
Cause then they would have spent the longest solo development time any Sonic game ever had for a mere remaster, of a game that wasn't that big to begin with.

That would only make sense if we're getting a Spyro Reignited kind of full blown 3 games in one package.
Unless current Sonic Team is in a really pathetic state.
Oh, and Covid throwing a wrench in the gears probably.

Sigh, Not looking forward to all the Reviews for Sonic Colors Remaster. I'm so going to bash my face in irritation everytime Sonic Colors is referred to as a 3d game.
Sonic Colors is as much a 3d platformer as Grand theft auto 5 is a bowling simulator.

• Thumbs Up 5

I had already expected April would be when anniversary plans start getting officially revealed. Given that at least one retailer has already had the game listed (briefly) I think an announcement is likely imminent either next week or the week after. 

Colours alone is also a bit weird to me. I do wonder if they're doing something similar to Mario's 35th where we'll have a collection of games which are more straight ports/emulation and then Sonic Colours gets its own release as a "remaster". Despite the "Ultimate" title I personally expect this to stick pretty close to the original release with HD resolutions, 60fps, sharper textures, and possibly using the Hedgehog Engine 2 for lighting.

I absolutely don't think this is the next big project either, not sure why so many are so quick to jump to that possibility. SEGA have talked about wanting to make more of the back catalogue available so I think this just one part of that, whilst also fitting in with the anniversary. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the next game has been pushed into 2022. Even if it's on schedule for 2021 I think the triple hit of the Sonic movie 2, the new 3D game (likely timed around the movie's release, have the advert for the game playing in theatres before the movie) and Sonic Prime is too good to pass up unless they really want the holiday money.

It makes sense to me that 2021 can be the "celebration" side of the anniversary with stuff like collections, merchandise and maybe a smaller scope new 2D game ala the Zippo leaks, while 2022 pushes on with the "future of Sonic" with the triple hit release schedule I mentioned above. Whatever happens I don't think we're too far away from finding out what's planned. I expect Colours will be announced within the month, with the wider anniversary announcements coming either alongside it or in May / June.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, N000 said:

I absolutely don't think this is the next big project either, not sure why so many are so quick to jump to that possibility.

Because people are so used to being disappointed by the Sonic franchise that we will believe basically anything so long as it's negative.

• Thumbs Up 2

Colors is particularly "interesting", its a game that has just soured in the eyes of people over time. Games in general sour and get better in the eyes of people overtime, its how that works. But colors has just soured. Colors was a game that came out at a time where there were a lot of people in media and jaded lapsed sonic fan who saw this as " a return to form without all the meaningless fluff of the adventure era"  those people then proceeded to stop pretending to care about sonic and their opinions notably soured. They cared about mania it was the thing they specifically wanted but , colors was left in the dust. 

On the opposite side of that there were fans at the time and now who saw everything in colors as setting a bad precedent, and it did. Power ups as replacements for characters. Bad writing and scene direction , gameplay that continuously tried to  copy better idea's excited well in better games rather than leaning into things that made sonic work. 

These two groups in combinations created this general souring opinion around colors. So if colors is the only thing we get, there's a chance this might not go over well for sega. The game will be isolated in its criticism. This on top of that game , just isn't the direction a lot of folks want sonic to go. Porting this and not unleashed or maybe doing something with generations two games who's opinions have only gotten better over time. Speaks to on some level kind of being out of step with what a lot of people buying their product actually desire. Which is very sega

Do I believe this is their next big project? No they have talked about working on something that ain't this. However due to delays and what have you, there is a chance they just announce this by itself. I just don't think that would be interesting to a lot of folks

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I think the reception thing is being overthought. The metacritic is probably going to drop, but the game will do okay at worst and the risk factor is low overall.

Plus, this is in line with SEGA's recent efforts to get all their old titles that have actually done well over the years on all recent platforms anyway. They released Bayonetta, Vanquish, Catherine, Persona 4, Yakuza 0, Project Diva and Panzer Dragoon all last year and Banana Blitz HD the year before that. These releases don't get a ton of buzz either way, they just quietly collect and improve the company's MC score in the background.

I'll be surprised if many people are talking about this rerelease outside of Sonic fan circles(where they'll act like it's the end of the world, like when Forces came out). Seems more like getting more evergreen shit on the shelf for kids to buy than anything else.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm interested in seeing what the critics do think from a analytical standpoint. They always talked about how good Colors is in the past tense so I doubt many of them played it again recent to reevaluate their stance. The waning reputation in the Fandom is already obvious so it'll be interesting seeing how it fares with the wider audience once again 

Would be neat if they restored the original vision of having 2 acts instead of 6 on each planet and include the DS version, but I'm not expecting any new content. Just minimum effort with 1080p & 60fps.

Is there any known cut-content from the original release (apart from the original intention of having to 2 acts instead of 6)?