Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

2 hours ago, Salamander said:

One of the strengths of the DS version which this remaster will presumably entirely ignore!  DS really has one of the better uses of Sonic's extended cast, and they make the park feel lived-in.  For the mainline version it would make more sense to say that the park hasn't officially opened yet.

This is actually the reason the park is empty but I'm not sure if it was ever stated outside of promotional material. Something along the lines of Sonic and Tails sneaking in a few days early.

1 hour ago, Salamander said:

Supposedly insiders have indicated more substantial added content, though?  Does anyone have an actual source for that, because all I've seen is second-hand reporting of insiders having allegedly said this, not the actual insider statements themselves.

Zippo's wording is vague enough to read this into it, but I personally don't think we're getting much more than a visual upgrade and I'd suggest anyone who thinks otherwise reign themselves in a bit. There will probably be extra content, but a ton of new levels/new dialogue they'd have to record seems like a stretch when the presumed reason this is happening in the first place is because it's a safe bet that doesn't require a lot of resources.

• Thumbs Up 4

Part of me is pleased to hear of Sonic Colours getting a remaster since I have never played it but a part of me is also disappointed at the same time as I have a feeling this is going to be our '30th Anniversary' game and I was hoping it would be something new and original which I still hope will happen.

I do love the music I have heard from the Sonic Colours soundtrack so I will definitely purchase this regardless .

Still hoping one day for PlayStation to have Sonic 3 & Sonic & Knuckles since they are the only games that never got re-released on PlayStation, only available on Xbox.

Colors is a robust albiet small game so I'm not sure what I've could add to it that wouldn't feel tacked on besides more simulator levels. I'm not really expecting anything but a graphical update (remake?) and not much else 

6 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Colors is a robust albiet small game so I'm not sure what I've could add to it that wouldn't feel tacked on besides more simulator levels. I'm not really expecting anything but a graphical update (remake?) and not much else 

The Sonic Simulator is so bad. So so so bad. They're heavily platforming focused levels which are something like 99% 2D. Some of them are even homages to S1 levels (1-1 is GHZ1, 2-1 is MZ1, 5-1 is LZ1 etc...). But they play like total ass. Sonic feels so heavy to control and steer in Colours, and it's at its worst in the very compact Simulator levels.

I hope that the first thing they do, even before graphical updates, is fix his controls. Generations controls noticeably better than Colours, but he's still heavy there too with a wide turning circle in 3D/hard to swap directions in 2D. And Forces is... Forces gameplay mantra is basically "what if Colours was bad". I'm not convinced that SEGA will improve the controls even if they try, is what I'm saying.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think if they were to add extra content to the game (I'm not too convinced) they could turn to the DS version as more of a cost & time saving measure, rather than a genuine desire to combine the two games together. 

Hypothetically they want some extra levels in there just to have something extra, and they don't want them to just be more filler bonus acts, BUT they don't want to have to design new stages from scratch either.

So just take a level from each world of the DS game, copy its level design and use the assets you already have, make adjustments for any differences in movement and the missing DS exclusive wisps, and you're pretty much set. 

I still don't think this will be much more than an enhanced port (hedgehog engine 2, higher res textures and 60fps are my highest expections) but if they were to add new stages, I reckon this would be a smart way to do it.

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

Zippo's wording is vague enough to read this into it, .

Serious question is this Zippo guy really that trustworthy? It seems weird to me the same guy is like "There's Adventure remakes definitely coming" and "Adventure remakes were coming in 2015 but the way Sonic Boom turned out made Sonic Team not want to work with third party companies again" (nevermind the fact that they did).

As for Colors Ultimate I'm betting that if there's additional content it'll probably be a secondary mode that incorporates the DS content. Like you go through the same map but you do the Colors DS missions ansd see the scenes from the DS version in cutscene form. Maybe get special stages to get the Chaos Emeralds and fight the Nega Wisp Mother.

15 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I'm going to feel really let down if a remaster of Sonic Colors is the only thing they have this anniversary.  In fact, if they have nothing else it would be more dignified for them to say something like "We tried, but the pandemic kept us from getting something done" than to try to spin this remaster as a remotely sufficient way to celebrate Sonic's 30th Anniversary. 

If the remaster is actually the only Sonic game they've been working on for multiple years, I've lost all faith in this company.  At that point, there's no way to see it as healthy caution or understandable delays caused by the pandemic; this is what SEGA not giving a fuck looks like.

Oh no; this series was meme fodder well before then, and absurdly enough those goofy things in ShTH were supposed to be taken dead seriously.  Colors is just when this series accepted that it would inevitably be meme fodder no matter what it tried so it might as well not fight it.

And it seems like the whole theory that SEGA is about to reboot, or at least retool this series, may have been an overreaction to them simply switching to a Canadian voice studio.

There is a huge difference in fans making memes of things themselves when things do not age quite right like shadow and where is that damn 4th emerald line cause we were not use to a sonic game "trying to be" mature but toned back due to a new rating being created to the games literally putting in memes such as baldy mcnosehair to tails "true dat" line that made me say thank lord the games over at that point.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Serious question is this Zippo guy really that trustworthy? It seems weird to me the same guy is like "There's Adventure remakes definitely coming" and "Adventure remakes were coming in 2015 but the way Sonic Boom turned out made Sonic Team not want to work with third party companies again" (nevermind the fact that they did).

Personally it's pretty obvious to me he doesn't actually have a clue. He's just seeding the right "hot topic issues" like Classic Sonic and SA1 remake into his posts to get attention. The rest is guesswork. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Absolutely 1

I hear a few people literally complaining that "This is all we are getting"

Don't forget folks we still have no idea what is coming and we wasn't supposed have found this at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't speak for everyone, but I think a package with Colors with the same graphical fidelity of Sonic Generations PLUS Sonic Generations (both sharper and running at 60FPS on consoles) would be a way to set the stage for the anniversary. But this implies basically rebuilding Colors from the ground up, the cutscenes are pre-rendered AFAIK, which means they're 480p I think. I mean, it's not like SEGA haven't released a port of an old game with those ugly ass bars on the side. But fuck me if they do this for the goddamn anniversary year, the 30th no less. Shame.

I think SEGA knows that fans and critics liked these 2 games well enough, which makes it a pretty safe bet for them. Hell, the Forces debut trailer used the now infamous "from the creators of Colors and Generations". 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I think this version of Colors will be like Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy Remasters: they have better textures, better illumination, better fps and a little more content. I don't think Sega would remake Sonic Colors entirely. And Colors still hold up pretty well, it don't need much more improvements.

I don't think this is going to be the next big project and I'm laughing that some people think it is. Takashi Iizuka has said in lots of interviews for the past few years that Sonic Team is working on the next mainline Sonic game, Sega has already told they have multiples new games coming soon.

Remasters are easy and cheap to make, they probably outsourced other studio to make this remaster. Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD, for example, was developed in only 6 months with a really small budget. I don't think Colors will need more than that.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Personally it's pretty obvious to me he doesn't actually have a clue. He's just seeding the right "hot topic issues" like Classic Sonic and SA1 remake into his posts to get attention. The rest is guesswork. 

I don’t think it’s that easy to write off, even if I’m having a REALLY hard time believing him. He apparently gave news of Colors Ultimate to MykonosFan on Retro a good few months before it got to us.

Best case scenario for him he could be legit, but I believe if he has any intel it’s probably a mix of real and fake sources. Or that he found the Colors Ultimate listing way before any of us and has been waiting on a time it was convenient to bring it up as “part of the plan” lol.

• Thumbs Up 4

16 minutes ago, azoo said:

I don’t think it’s that easy to write off, even if I’m having a REALLY hard time believing him. He apparently gave news of Colors Ultimate to MykonosFan on Retro a good few months before it got to us.

Best case scenario for him he could be legit, but I believe if he has any intel it’s probably a mix of real and fake sources. Or that he found the Colors Ultimate listing way before any of us and has been waiting on a time it was convenient to bring it up as “part of the plan” lol.

I'll just say I'm not convinced yet and leave it at that then. I can't really argue wrt MykonosFan because I don't know him but it seems awfully strange to me to keep Colors Ultimate under wraps when it would have been the easiest way to convince people you're legit. 

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I'll just say I'm not convinced yet and leave it at that then. I can't really argue wrt MykonosFan because I don't know him but it seems awfully strange to me to keep Colors Ultimate under wraps when it would have been the easiest way to convince people you're legit. 

MykonosFan is a trustworthy dude, I’d say. I agree though, something doesn’t add up.

Especially when he says he’s got new info he’ll update with and then just.. sits on it for a while first. Like why wait? If you leak, you leak. If it needs verifying first then he probably shouldn’t bring it up until it is lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Iko said:

It's something that I've said since when Colors was originally released on Wii: since it's set in an amusement park, having characters like Cream and Charmy around should have been a natural thing... so if they add them somehow, it would be only for the better (playable or not). 

If they're not playable, it'll be another case of Sonic doing everything while everyone else standing around worshiping Sonic when they should be fighting with him. It's my one of my biggest issues with games since they made Sonic the only playable character.

Gonna echo what others said, I'm hoping this isn't their only game in progress. I'm still hoping for a "3D" game that allows me to play as other characters even though Sonic Team has given me little reason to be optimistic.

4 hours ago, knuckles20 said:

If they're not playable, it'll be another case of Sonic doing everything while everyone else standing around worshiping Sonic when they should be fighting with him. It's my one of my biggest issues with games since they made Sonic the only playable character.

Gonna echo what others said, I'm hoping this isn't their only game in progress. I'm still hoping for a "3D" game that allows me to play as other characters even though Sonic Team has given me little reason to be optimistic.

I really don't understand why sonic is now the only playable character. i also don't understand different missions for each character either. just make it simple, same game play, different character...

It makes sense for Colors to keep the cast to a minimum. That game came shortly after Sonic 06 soured people's opinion on Sonic's friends and had a desire to go back to basics. It's more the games since Generations where it starts to bother me.

Besides, as someone making my own level mods these days, I have to say adding characters with different abilities does throw a huge wrench in your level design. Boost Sonic is super horizonally focused, moving forward and needing huge amounts of space to run in.
Putting a slower character in there could turn the levels into a nightmare. Check Gamemods where they put Adventure Sonic into a Sonic heroes level and you'll notice how Heroes' level design is a nightmare for Adventure Sonic as you have to slowly run across endless empty corridors.
Or put Heroes Sonic in an Adventure level where he can't handle the constant twists and turns and helplessly fly off the level boundries.

Putting Tails and Knuckles there who aren't only slower, but also have a more vertical movement to them because of their flying and climbing makes the entire level break down. So you either have to give Tails and Knuckles their own specifically tailored levels, in which case you get the Sonic Adventure problem again where everyone will freak out having to deal with the occasional gameplay shift, or Tails and Knuckles will just be cheap skins of Sonic with the exact same moves. (Or alternatively, only Sonic clones like Shadow and Blaze are utilized) In which case Sega will get accused of being cheap rather then praised.

...That said, out of all the Boost games, Sonic Colors does make the most sense to make Tails and Knuckles playable, considering 80% of the game takes place in platform heavy blocky 2d sections rather then in speed focused 3d area's.
For most of the game's runningtime, they'll probably fit in just fine, so if I was in charge of a remake, I'd definitly consider adding them in. Especially if they're just in the bonus Gameworld levels.
They'd fit in way better then Super Sonic does. I always thought it's hilarious Super Sonic finally makes his long awaited return in the game where he feels the most out of place. Hooray, I'm super fast and not able to pull of special moves in a game entirely designed around slow mazelike puzzle area's.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

Frankly I wouldn't mind a Colors remaster. Due to game being exclusive to Wii only was the reason I played it 3 years after it's release, and I enjoyed the experience while it lasted. The English script was crap, though, I always look for the JP cutscenes if I want to come back to the game.

But honestly if that's all there will be then I'm kind of disappointed. Colors is legendary but not that legendary anyway, sure it was the first main Sonic game in a long time that got praised reviews but it just doesn't really stick out.

So yeah again I'd love to play it again on another platform and get blasted away with the amazing ost. Who knows that maybe the remaster will be even better than OG title.

The more a leaker knows about wider topics the more likely it's nonsense. Traditionally a leak of a certain game/entry is a one off event in terms of who leaked it. Credible Insiders of whole series/genres/systems are very rare, maybe even nonexistent. Not like the Sonic Forces leaker popped up again, did they?

There will never be "every single character as playable", no scratch that, not even many, it's what brought us to Sonic only in the first place. Maybe in spin-offs and mobile games though? We have already seen that.

Heck, Sonic Forces was a cluster just with 3 gameplay styles that were Sonic-y.

I hate playing ONLY as Sonic, but yeah keep it to the essential or what makes sense, for example I don't see playable Shadow in a game like Colors, but Tails? Sure!

Shadow makes more sense than Tails because they don't have to alter the gameplay that much. They can also reuse the animation they did for Forces if they want.

37 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

There will never be "every single character as playable", no scratch that, not even many, it's what brought us to Sonic only in the first place. Maybe in spin-offs and mobile games though? We have already seen that.

You should play SONIC FORCES : SPEED BATTLE whichi is a great great mobile game with an incredible roster made up of 49 playable characters for the moment :

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_Forces:_Speed_Battle#Playable_characters

41 minutes ago, King Conne said:

You should play SONIC FORCES : SPEED BATTLE whichi is a great great mobile game with an incredible roster made up of 49 playable characters for the moment :

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_Forces:_Speed_Battle#Playable_characters

Didn't knew SSMB had ads now lmao

Playable Shadow would be easy peasy to implement, but I can not picture Shadow using HOVER, CUBE, SPIKES or running through those colorful environments with a straight face hahaha Besides, he would be nothing but a skin for Sonic, unless they change the story to fit him, which I reeeeeeeeally don't see it happening.

But make Tails playable for God's sake. Sonic has a double jump, why not give Tails a triple jump or simply his signature hover ability? Colors is mostly 2D and the few 3D sections last 10 seconds, a lot of them are basic quick step lines or fully on rails. Maybe add a few invisible walls here and there, but I still think you won't be able to break out of the level with Tails, considering Colors' level design. And hell, wasn't Tails always supposed to be the easy mode since Sonic 3? Let the boy fly, goddamn it. He would get past all those shitty Green Hover areas in a flash. 

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Didn't knew SSMB had ads now lmao

Playable Shadow would be easy peasy to implement, but I can not picture Shadow using HOVER, CUBE, SPIKES or running through those colorful environments with a straight face hahaha Besides, he would be nothing but a skin for Sonic, unless they change the story to fit him, which I reeeeeeeeally don't see it happening.

But make Tails playable for God's sake. Sonic has a double jump, why not give Tails a triple jump or simply his signature hover ability? Colors is mostly 2D and the few 3D sections last 10 seconds, a lot of them are basic quick step lines or fully on rails. Maybe add a few invisible walls here and there, but I still think you won't be able to break out of the level with Tails, considering Colors' level design. And hell, wasn't Tails always supposed to be the easy mode since Sonic 3? Let the boy fly, goddamn it. He would get past all those shitty Green Hover areas in a flash. 

Either could happen, I was just saying I get the feeling Shadow is more likely.

12 hours ago, knuckles20 said:

It's not easy to find a way to implement other characters in Sonic Colors when the gameplay is mostly about wisps. Unless you make the other characters reskins of Sonic (Shadow, Espio, I don't know) or make them unable to use the wisps but give them a default wisp power reskinned as charcter skill (make knuckles able to use the Drill Wisp power natively, the same for Tails with Hover, etc) but I don't know if it would work well with the existing level design.