Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

EDIT: first post of the page again? 🙄

If a Sonic Adventure remake is done, I'd prefer if all the characters will stay as playable, including Big the Cat. Maybe rework their gameplay a bit, but don't remove them.

For Big, make his gameplay more about platforming and puzzles, less about fishing (fishing should be simplified a lot and not be the main focus). He should get his parasol for gliding too (assuming that the levels will be completely redesigned and expanded).

----

If anything, I'd like Cream to be properly integrated in the game somehow. She does a cameo (DX version) and is in front of the Speed Highway entrance in Generations, so I'd like if they expand more on her connection with this game.

It could be a series of side missions in Amy and Big's stories that explain the origin of Team Rose (many side missions connected together like Anju and Kafei's in Majora's Mask), and maybe even work as a backstory for her and tell how she got Cheese in the first place (since Chao Gardens are supposed to be in the game and a major feature too).

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Yes? They went from Sonic 06 straight to a new title, and while I hate Sonic Unleashed it was still clear that a lot more love for the series went into that game than 06; and here we're dealing with Forces, which is more aggressively mediocre than it is an absolute Sonic doomsday event. If we required Sonic Team to make a remake after every bad or even just 'painfully mediocre' game, this series would be about 75% comprised of remakes by now.

I'd rather they just analyse what was good about Adventure, and then apply that to something new and skip the remake stage. 

Trouble is this is not the same Sonic Team as the one from the 00’s. This decade, besides Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations, has been so unbelievably bland and mediocre for Sonic games (I’m only counting Sonic Team developed games btw, not the spin offs and Sonic Boom). I cannot trust them to even make a Sonic game with lots of love and attention to detail after the disappointment of Sonic Forces. Remember how we thought that after Sonic Lost World, the fact that it was taking them so long to develop the next game would mean it’s a big, epic next gen Sonic game for PS4 and Xbone? We were SO wrong! 

So unless they get some new developers in who take this shit seriously, somebody who cares for Sonic’s reputation in the games especially after the success of the Sonic movie, I don’t think we’ll ever get a major upgrade like 06 to Unleashed was. As for a SA1 remake...I’d love to see one, but again, not under this team. I don’t want THIS Sonic Team to develop it.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1

Wait a second... don't the Sonic Team devs change like... constantly? I mean, I believe Forces had almost all-new people working on level design, I think the problem here is the director from Colors, Lost World and Forces... I don't remember his name but he's responsible for the veeeery basic artstyle of these games, as well as extremely simple level design, and making super easy games in general, things I've never liked, especially in Forces, he's basically responsible for linearity and straight lines philosophy. So, fire that guy, Sega. Also, the fact that people change all the time makes them harder to really understand Sonic, especially level design. Bring back some people who already worked on the series, maybe? And obviously keep Iizuka, people only blame him for adding Wisps and Deadly Six, but never acknowledge his good deeds.

Let’s say, for the sake of discussion, that ST has a competent group of people. What would you have them do with a SA remake?

Personally, I think there should be an option to play the story in chronological sequence, doing away with redundant bosses and cutscenes. SA2 style. It would make the story a lot more coherent. 

12 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Let’s say, for the sake of discussion, that ST has a competent group of people. What would you have them do with a SA remake?

Personally, I think there should be an option to play the story in chronological sequence, doing away with redundant bosses and cutscenes. SA2 style. It would make the story a lot more coherent. 

As an option it would be pretty cool, actually.

With a competent team, basically all the features I listed above, but still, I would rather have them do a brand new game tbh.

On 3/16/2020 at 7:19 AM, Jack at the Cinema said:

Wait a second... don't the Sonic Team devs change like... constantly? I mean, I believe Forces had almost all-new people working on level design, I think the problem here is the director from Colors, Lost World and Forces... I don't remember his name but he's responsible for the veeeery basic artstyle of these games, as well as extremely simple level design, and making super easy games in general, things I've never liked, especially in Forces, he's basically responsible for linearity and straight lines philosophy. So, fire that guy, Sega. Also, the fact that people change all the time makes them harder to really understand Sonic, especially level design. Bring back some people who already worked on the series, maybe? And obviously keep Iizuka, people only blame him for adding Wisps and Deadly Six, but never acknowledge his good deeds.

Or at least place him in a different role with less influence on the direction. They need some veterans as well as new talent.

21 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

To be honest... not really.

I can see the appeal in a remake if there is a reassurance of quality, but I'm burning for something good that is NEW. even when we get good content in this series, it's rarely ever felt new. Nothing in Sonic Generations was original save the final boss and only a handful of levels in Mania aren't remakes of older levels.

Plus Adventure has aged a lot and it shows. I don't know how they'll remake it, I don't know what they'll change.

If the game was remade, I would want the option of characters being able to play in other character's respective stages, mainly Sonics levels since he has the bulk of them, but it would be awesome to race Eggman as Sonic in Speed Highway, or to be in hot shelter with Knuckles. Obviously not all SA levels can work with other characters, but they should at least be able to make Sonic's levels playable with other characters. There will need to be some level edits to accommodate this, but if I can play Sonic's levels 90% fine with characters hacked in that aren't Sonic, Sega can do it with some minor tweaks. But I'm almost certain they would never do that.

Plus, Big is so unnecessary. You don't HAVE to play as him, but he is necessary to complete in order to get to the final story. IMO, Big should've always been nothing more than an unlockable goof-story you can play for fun if you collect enough emblems or something. Only problem with that though, he does have a few important parts relevant to the story, so I doubt that'll happen either. 

There's just too many uncertainties with an SA remake that'll always annoy someone. I'd say it's not worth the risk, but I'm sure it'd be a big payout for Sega... which is all I'm guessing matters to them. 

Also, if we could get a few action-packed cutscenes that are on par with the gorgeous CGI used in Sonic Unleashed, that'd be great. When was the last time we've had that in game? Or at least, CGI cutscenes as good as the ones in Unleashed?

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday it occurred to me sort of out of nowhere, that for the 30th, Sonic Team might try something like remaking the original title in 3D. I recall someone even suggesting that as a possibility awhile back.  

I guess you could call it a soft reboot of sorts, but basically seeing the success of Mania and knowing that people still perceive classic Sonic as when things were good, try to make a special 3D game based on it. This franchise doesn't really ever do full on remakes and in that sense this isn't exactly one either since there would be sure to be widespread changes in adapting the formula. 

If so, I would see it as a somewhat risky move but undeniably high payoff. The last thing ST could want to do right now is to tarnish the classic brand and I'd probably want to see them try to a different game first before remaking the original, for somewhat similar reasons as an SA1 which I also think could deserve a remake. But really I think I just want something brand new in general. My first preference would not be a remake of anything. Ideally, I'd want them to take the lessons of Mania and then try to do a new concept heavily inspired by it in 3D. But maybe that's why they would think something like this could work. They have overplayed nostalgia recently. 

Of course, if the team has been working on some kind of 3D formula behind closed doors and has a lot of confidence in it, it doesn't matter all too much to me the title of the game. I just want to see effort and passion put into a fundamentally sound game that can be built on. 

Note: There are No rumors I'm aware of, so this has no legs. I'd guess either something adventure related will be the next title, or more likely something brand new altogether that inserts cheap nods to both Mania and Adventure. Not to sound pessimistic, because I am trying to be optimistic actually. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Whatever it ends up being (I have my own ideas), I hope it's good. 

Definitely would be a great pick me up during these crazy times. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't be surprised if said crazy times have gutted the 30th anniversary plans.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

I wouldn't be surprised if said crazy times have gutted the 30th anniversary plans.

Nah. That's still a ways out. 

The 30th anniversary is next year, the main year to prep it would be this year. And right now that's not really possible.

I just want something to be announced. Show us a premise, give us a blurb, just SOMETHING. Because right now whenever I put in a Sonic game I feel like I’m living in the past. 

On 4/5/2020 at 6:50 PM, Your Vest Friend said:

The 30th anniversary is next year, the main year to prep it would be this year. And right now that's not really possible.

This is true; it will depend to what extent the different teams can work on game development from home! 

In the 20th century i would be wondering what kind of software and development materials they could take home with them, but in this century it feels like most of it could be portable!  

Generally though any additional time to work on whatever they are creating is beneficial, and it is good too that "30th anniversary" is not exactly the most crucial anniversary, it is just one to celebrate with new creations, whenever and however it will actually be possible! 

I do find it funny that this video instead of debunking SA1R rumors, it reinforces them despite trying the opposite.

There is nothing confirmed though, you are right, @Badnik Mechanic, there is literally nothing implying a SA1 remake if not for Iizuka saying in an interview he would like to remake it, which led to fans believing it was coming, but I don't think he would spoil like that the next game announcement, plus of course the trend of remaking games, which is a bit more reasonable, but there is no actual proof.

But the video does actually reinforce the idea that there's an "Adventure-something" coming, otherwise what the hell is coming? We have no clue, literally those are the only clues we have, and of course as it's said in the video, they did this with Mania, plus the sub-brand image promotion, which hasn't happened here yet.

I do find it really suspicious about the "leaked" recording, so let's say that is false, still the hints they've scattered around social media are the exact same thing they've done before Mania. 

So what the video here does is listing all the stuff they posted, and then, it doesn't actually go to opinion zone, but into sophist critical philosophy, so it kinda mocks people for thinking a SA1 remake is coming and since they claim it as basically confirmed, it's not so I don't really blame you for teasing them.

But if those social media things aren't hints I don't know what they are, if they are meant to be red herrings, if they have actual purpose, because it's a lot of money they spent into it, between the not mentioned Irish the Hedgehog story recap, Chao in Space, the fact that SEGA put Big and the Chao group in TSR, there were a few more Chao memes in the twitter, including Cheese and Chocola.

Plus: The video only adds heat to fuel the discussion lol, that's why it does the opposite result of debunking it, everyone is talking about it, there is buzz as the folks of Tails Channel said, it's viral for some reason, but it certainly does not confirm anything, just that people want it so badly.

Only Iizuka outright said "I would like to remake SA1", SEGA didn't announce anything or even hint at it, they hinted at something Adventure though, just like Classic themed social media stuff with Mania, even more expensive posts here. 

I also think there is a new classic title coming, because I have noticed those season posts with the clock, plus numerous Classic Metal Sonic posts, which make me guess he's gonna be an important antagonist in that game.

But they are all rumors and speculation for now. Yes. Just not baseless.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jack at Home said:

I also think there is a new classic title coming

I've said it several times, but I really do wonder if they will keep both the Mania line and the main Modern titles going forward. The English social media tends to focus most on Classic Sonic since Mania came out, while the Japanese social media focuses more on Modern Sonic as Sega's mascot. It might be another case of SoA vs SoJ. Either way, I think both have their reasons for existing and fan base, and as long as it doesn't strain development then it's fine. They already seem like they wanted this with Generations and Forces, so this would be a way to get people to buy both without the game itself being confusing like Forces.

3 hours ago, Jack at Home said:

I do find it funny that this video instead of debunking SA1R rumors, it reinforces them despite trying the opposite.

I feel just about the opposite of you. This, despite the fact that I do think an adventure remake has a reasonable chance of happening (primarily because of fanbase noise) . This was a solid video IMO. 

His data argument is a good one and one that I picked up on throughout the year. The sonic Twitter has definitely done more classic related stuff than adventure over the last year. It's pretty noticeable actually even without knowing the actual numbers. One could say, "maybe a classic and adventure title will both come out". Maybe. If we were going to use statistics though, it doesn't favor adventure. 

ST wants to keep adventure fans engaged with the brand, especially because they are probably the most active part of the fanbase on social media. They have been slowly trying to reintroduce some of that style back into the series. This is partly why I think the most likely next game will have some adventure elements like Forces did, but still be something new. It would align with their track record of favoring "all new" (emphasis on quotes here) titles rather than titular remakes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I feel just about the opposite of you. This, despite the fact that I do think an adventure remake has a reasonable chance of happening (primarily because of fanbase noise) . This was a solid video IMO. 

His data argument is a good one and one that I picked up on throughout the year. The sonic Twitter has definitely done more classic related stuff than adventure over the last year. It's pretty noticeable actually even without knowing the actual numbers. One could say, "maybe a classic and adventure title will both come out". Maybe. If we were going to use statistics though, it doesn't favor adventure. 

ST wants to keep adventure fans engaged with the brand, especially because they are probably the most active part of the fanbase on social media. They have been slowly trying to reintroduce some of that style back into the series. This is partly why I think the most likely next game will have some adventure elements like Forces did, but still be something new. It would align with their track record of favoring "all new" (emphasis on quotes here) titles rather than titular remakes. 

I truly hope so because as I said I prefer having new games, that also reflect the current state of the series, having SA1 again would make that feel it doesn't reflect the image of Modern nowadays, as cool as it's be to have that game rejuvenated and updated, something new is still better. As for Classic Sonic, same reasoning, a brand new game that reinvents Mania. I think both will happen eventually, without speculating the details.

2 hours ago, DryLagoon said:

I've said it several times, but I really do wonder if they will keep both the Mania line and the main Modern titles going forward. The English social media tends to focus most on Classic Sonic since Mania came out, while the Japanese social media focuses more on Modern Sonic as Sega's mascot. It might be another case of SoA vs SoJ. Either way, I think both have their reasons for existing and fan base, and as long as it doesn't strain development then it's fine. They already seem like they wanted this with Generations and Forces, so this would be a way to get people to buy both without the game itself being confusing like Forces.

My one hope for the franchise right now to be totally honest, is that SOA gets almost full control of Sonic and SOJ backs off for a while. From what I've read, SOJ seems to be much more out of touch with the brand in the west and this is a historical reoccurence... And despite this, they've had more control until very very recently. I want to see what happens when Sonic is controlled primarily by SOA for a few years, the people who seem to understand Sonic's influence in the west much better. 

Good video about dismanteling the Adventure rumors, altough it doesn't adress one detail bothering me.
Every animated cartoon so far was to directly tie-in with a specific game in stores, Mania and Team Sonic racing.
The Chao in space video is the only one that doesn't directly advertise a relevant game.
Probably empty fanservice as usual, but I'm still wondering why Sega would invest so much money in a cartoon promoting obsolete elements from the series. A cartoon about the Wisps would make more sense then the Chao who haven't had relevance in over a decade, other then being character #15 in a spinoff game.
I suppose the answer is that Sega wanted to ride the coattails of Star Wars, like that video implied.

As an Adventure fan, this empty fanservice it pisses me off, tough.
You spend all this time, energy and money hyping up Sonic Adventure stuff to keep Adventure fans engaged and hyped up....for products that has zero interest in furfilling these expectations beyond the most superficial surface level stuff. Great, thanks.
I much prefer them to be honest.

Using the dead decaying corpse of Sonic Adventure as a leash to drag me to another one of Sonic Team's mad delusions  just makes me increasingly toxic and disrespectful toward Sega.
Either do a Sonic Adventure thing, or throw the entire Adventure direction in the furnace so I can stop digging trough Sonic Team's trash to find a bone.  But Sega desperatly wants to keep us around, so off we go buying the next insult like the dumb little zombies we are.

This empty fanservice is driving me insane, like a cabbage restaurant filling the place with Pizza ovens, pizza llustrations, putting Pizza in big letters on all menu's, and then only serving cabbage still.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

As an Adventure fan it pisses me off, tough.
You spend all this time, energy and money hyping up Sonic Adventure stuff to keep Adventure fans engaged and hyped up....for a product that has zero interest in furfilling these expectations beyond the most superficial surface level stuff. Great, thanks.
I much prefer them to be honest.

Using the dead decaying corpse of Sonic Adventure as a leash to drag me to another one of Sonic Team's mad delusions  just makes me increasingly toxic and disrespectful toward Sega.
Either do a Sonic Adventure thing, or throw the entire Adventure direction in the furnace so I can stop digging trough Sonic Team's trash to find a bone.

Like a restaurant filling the place with a Pizza oven, Italian aesthetics, photo's of Italian landscapes all across the wall.... And then discovering they don't serve any Italian dishes at all. But hey, fanservice for the customers who like to look at a Italian restaurant while eating someting entirely diffrent. Or something.

Well this is the statistical argument though. They actually haven't been drumming up adventure as much as some fans have been claiming. Actually not a lot compared to other things. Classic has been getting a lot more treatment since Mania came out. I think a lot of adventure fans hope (understandably) that any news is good news and want to see their style get some love. But the hope and the reality are not on the same plane right now. This could change and I think sufficient noise has been made to let Sega know, people are interested in revisiting the ideas in those games. Time will tell if it's enough.

It's really hard to say honestly though, because as loud as fans can be sometime, we really don't have an accurate statistical representation of what the fanbase is demanding. Just as there are a ton of fans who want adventure again, there could be equally as many or even more that want boost or Mania games to return. We don't have any way of knowing this reliably, is my only point, not saying this is actually true. SEGA probably has much better data on this than we do. 

The thing that adventure fans have on their side right now, is that they are making constant loud noise about it, enough such that SEGA has clearly noticed them in the past few years. There was a fairly long time when we weren't getting any adventure era stylistic nods, in the early 2010s, outside of generations. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2020 at 10:36 AM, Gabz Girl said:

Trouble is this is not the same Sonic Team as the one from the 00’s. This decade, besides Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations, has been so unbelievably bland and mediocre for Sonic games (I’m only counting Sonic Team developed games btw, not the spin offs and Sonic Boom). I cannot trust them to even make a Sonic game with lots of love and attention to detail after the disappointment of Sonic Forces.

I dunno man,when I read stuff like this I just don't know what to say. Discounting Sonic Adventure 2, and Heroes if we are being really generous, Sonic Team were useless in the 2000s.

I mean, yeah, Lost World and Forces were mediocre games, but they didn't keep the series alive as a symbol of mockery like Shadow and they didn't almost kill off the entire series with a game like 06 which was fundamentally broken and offensive.  We didn't get anything as hilariously bad and completely unresponsive as Secret Rings and Black Knight.

The 2010s have been disappointing for sure, but the series is in a hell of a better state now than it was back then.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I want to see what happens when Sonic is controlled primarily by SOA for a few years, the people who seem to understand Sonic's influence in the west much better. 

Considering the writing in the newer games done by western writers and Boom, probably not as good as people think. At best we'd get more like Mania, at worst well I'd like to not think too much about that. But pretty much what got people annoyed with the newer writing to begin with. I get that Sega of Japan has caused issues but I think that's more of a Sega issue than the Team itself. Even during Sonic 2 and SA2, a lot of the staff still came from the Japanese team.

12 minutes ago, Plasme said:

The 2010s have been disappointing for sure, but the series is in a hell of a better state now than it was back then.

I guess this is where I tend to differ, as I enjoyed the wide approach of the 2000s. Not all of it was good, but there were things we don't get anymore like Riders, Advance, Battle, etc. 2010s had the least spin offs and the wide gap in main games made it feel worse. It almost made me lose interest in Sonic as they were trying to appeal to a group that was never interested in Sonic to begin with.

5 minutes ago, DryLagoon said:

I guess this is where I tend to differ, as I enjoyed the wide approach of the 2000s. Not all of it was good, but there were things we don't get anymore like Riders, Advance Battle, etc. 2010s had the least spin offs and the wide gap in main games made it feel worse. It almost made me lose interest in Sonic as they were trying to appeal to a group that was never interested in Sonic to begin with.

I'm going to be honest, I'm thankful we got the Sonic All Stars Racing games and TSR over Riders, and I actually find some weird fun in the first Riders, despite it being terrible. I think Battle is just awful.

And while it is a shame we don't get games like Advance and Rush, we at least got Mania.

If anything I think the spin off games have been a major improvement, less of them for sure, but much higher quality.

I mean we did get the horrible Boom games, so I'll give you those :P 

14 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I dunno man,when I read stuff like this I just don't know what to say. Discounting Sonic Adventure 2, and Heroes if we are being really generous, Sonic Team were useless in the 2000s.

I mean, yeah, Lost World and Forces were mediocre games, but they didn't keep the series alive as a symbol of mockery like Shadow and they didn't almost kill off the entire series with a game like 06 which was fundamentally broken and offensive.  We didn't get anything as hilariously bad and completely unresponsive as Secret Rings and Black Knight.

Absolutely. People forget so soon but there was nothing ever worse for Sonic than the bulk of that decade. 

The 2010s, if it made a crime, was that if was unspectacular as a whole. And the spacing between entries made the mediocre quality stand out much more and the underwhelming feeling last longer. It had one truly awful game that was not even a ST production. But the rest ranged from mediocre, to quite good. And then there was Mania, which had some significant ST influence, and was the best of the last two decades.

Still clearly better than the 2000s, where each game was worse than the last pretty much until Unleashed. 

If I had to give each decade an average score, I'd rate the 2010s a 6/10 (brought mostly down by boom) and the 2000s a 4/10. And this just in terms of the mainline releases 

(Actually the saving grace of the 2000s were the handhelds, many of which were fairly good. But they weren't as visible to most of the public and so the effect of the bigger titles was larger.)

12 minutes ago, DryLagoon said:

Considering the writing in the newer games done by western writers and Boom, probably not as good as people think. At best we'd get more like Mania, at worst well I'd like to not think too much about that. But pretty much what got people annoyed with the newer writing to begin with. I get that Sega of Japan has caused issues but I think that's more of a Sega issue than the Team itself. Even during Sonic 2 and SA2, a lot of the staff still came from the Japanese team.

Actually, both Sonic 2 and SA2 were made in America. SOA has always had Japanese Members. I'm not trying to sort it out literally by country, but by organization. SOA is just the western branch of the company, and they understand the markets here much better. And the games you referenced were before the recent restructuring, which happened only within the last 2ish years. At the time of Boom and etc, SOJ still ran the show. From what we've learned recently, Sonic has basically moved completely to SOA and SOJ shifted its focus to other series. 

By the way, it is a very specific opinion to hate the writing in Sonic colors. I'm not a fan of it, but there are tons of mainstream fans out there that don't feel the same way as adventure fans about it who for some reason have come to think of their opinion on those games as the default. The mainstream really don't care because the actual game content of colors and generations were both quite solid, even if you don't like the 2.5D style the games are well made throughout, consistent, and fun for casual play, which is why they are still regarded favorably. 

• Thumbs Up 1