Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

At the very least Tails / Knux would be a fun little bonus.

Perhaps even with slight level redesigns and tweaks you could end up with Tails and Knuckles not being able to use Wisp Powers BUT can fly/hover/dig/glide/climb as mentioned.

The levels in general are not complex enough for it to be that much of an issue as they hark back more to a more Sonic 1-3 era esque design with multiple routes, not always being completely linear, and actually being very memorable whilst maintaining standout set pieces.

It would add an extra dimension to the 2D sections to replay in any case (or you know, just throw them in with their own additional individual levels)

But a Shadow re-skin in is the obvious easy way out here as an added “bonus”. Different model and animations - add in the voice samples. Bang. Job done. 

Actually I just really want to play Colours in HD, so even with that as a single upgrade and I’m easy to please. 

Shadow actually could be played for laughs given the situation. His campaign could mostly be the same as Sonic's Egg Shuttle but with the occassional cutscene (even if it's like the radio conversations from Forces) to give context about whatever mission Shadow is on. I'm picturing him in Sweet Mountain and being half-way done with the whole thing the moment he realises they've got him putting up with giant metal burgers and jelly bean missiles.

You could even have it take place prior to Sonic's story if you really wanna explain why Shadow's there. Could have some really simple explanation that he received intel about weird construction going on in the upper atmosphere and is sent to investigate. Maybe redress the levels just a little to make them look nearly complete but not quite (also an excuse for any changes in level design). At the end he's called away for some high priority mission before he can fully investigate. Having seen that this is so clearly an Eggman operation he says he'll give Sonic the heads up.

I would actually like to see more enhanced ports with new gameplay/story modes over new games.

Bowser's Fury makes me realize this is what SEGA can do to experiment with Sonic without much risk Like if SEGA ever wants to make a character based spinoff or twist an existing gameplay style packaging it with an updated rerelease lets them experiment without requiring anyone buying it to fully be on board.

I would like to see SEGA go and look at existing titles and possibly figure out what to do on a second go around.

This is obviously not going to happen, but what if the remaster of Sonic Colors added a character based sub-story to each planet? I mean, instead of only Sonic and Tails, a small group of characters go to visit the amusement park; at the beginning of the game, they're all together, then they split and each character goes to a different planet. Each story is parallel, you can play them with any order you prefer, and in each planet, you can chose to play as Sonic, Tails and the character involved in the side story (though you can play all the levels with any character in the Egg Shuttle).

For example, if the starting team is Sonic, Tails, Amy, Cream & Gemerl, and the Chaotix (Vector, Espio, Charmy):

-Tropical Resort has a side story about Amy trying to spend some time alone with Sonic in the park before they get involved in the Eggman mess

-Sweet Mountain's story is about Charmy going hyperactive because he finds out about the planet made out of sweets, but as he comes there to visit it, Eggman attempts to kidnap him.

-Aquarium Park has some story about Espio discovering some clues about fishy (sorry for the bad pun) activities in the park

-Planet Wisp's story is about Cream wanting to help the wisps after finding out about the little creatures being captured and their world being ruined by Eggman

-Asteroid Coaster would feature Gemerl trying to destroy the nega wisp factory or something action-based like that

-Starlight Carnival is similar to Espio's story, but with Vector instead

If Gemerl is too niche you can replace him with Knuckles if you prefer, but story-wise I doubt he would go to the park, especially if invited by Eggman; he would probably be like "it's not my business, I have no time for those childish things". It's just an example by the way, I think something like this would be very cool.

29 minutes ago, Iko said:

If Gemerl is too niche you can replace him with Knuckles if you prefer, but story-wise I doubt he would go to the park, especially if invited by Eggman; he would probably be like "it's not my business, I have no time for those childish things". It's just an example by the way, I think something like this would be very cool.

You kiddin'? Knuckles would be first in line. "An amusement park from Eggman? What could go wrong? Guy's only lied to me 60 times before!!!"

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Chili Dawg said:

You kiddin'? Knuckles would be first in line. "An amusement park from Eggman? What could go wrong? Guy's only lied to me 60 times before!!!"

The duality of Knuckles' characterization.

Anyways, I'm gonna give the thread title a whirl. My Sonic 30th prediction is that they're gonna wait until June again to say anything and new stuff isn't gonna be out until mid-late next year. Again. 

This is of course my way of saying "prove me wrong losers" to Sega, but yaknow. 

Technically the anniversary really begins on June 23, 2021. As long as a game comes out between June 23, 2021 and June 23, 2022, it's still an anniversary game.

Edited by Razule
It definitely didn't take almost a day for me to realize I wrote 2023 and not 2022
  • Thumbs Up 3

17 hours ago, Jack-al said:

There will never be "every single character as playable", no scratch that, not even many, it's what brought us to Sonic only in the first place. Maybe in spin-offs and mobile games though? We have already seen that.

I mean no they definitely wouldn't make all 14 major characters playable but I could see them maybe at least doing 4 storylines like Heroes did with 3 each and each would have a different play style like Adventure 1 and 2.

Like a Sonic Tails and Knuckles storyline Sonic could maybe be a mix of Adventure and Lost World (without the run button) with some boosting sections but boosting wouldn't be the main focus, Tails could be a 2D section where all his stages are Metroidvania like Tails Adventure, Knuckles could have Werehog style beat em up stages. 

A Team Dark one with Shadow being fairly similarto Sonic but maybe with the gunplay aspect of his own game but with Chaos energy blasts you have to build up, Rouge could be an Adventure style treasure hunting section (preferably SA1 style since those were actually fun) Omega could be the Gamma/Tails/Eggman shooter section. 

A random grouping but Amy Cream and Espio could do a storyline where Amy is a platformer but with a focus on melee combat and Cream is a puzzle game and Espio is stealth or mission based. I would have gone Big instead but honestly I can't think of any gameplay for him thatisn't fishing. 

And lastly Silver, Blaze and possibly a new Character for a fourth storyline. Silver could probably be a scaled back Gravity Rush style experience, Blaze could be full on Boost era Sonic but with her flame powers.

Like personally if they brought back multiple characters that'd be my preferred way to do it. Though honestly I also don't think just Sonic is a bad thing it just needs to be required by how big the scale of the game is.

On 4/13/2021 at 12:18 AM, SBR2 said:

Serious question is this Zippo guy really that trustworthy? It seems weird to me the same guy is like "There's Adventure remakes definitely coming" and "Adventure remakes were coming in 2015 but the way Sonic Boom turned out made Sonic Team not want to work with third party companies again" (nevermind the fact that they did).

I don't trust any leak by default, and I'm just waiting to see something instead of feeling like I know what's coming.
But I have to correct, Zippo's leaks never said that an Adventure remake was coming this year. That new games returning to the style of Adventure may be coming, whether or not it's true, but not outright a remake. The only time the remakes were ever mentioned, was the mention that they were cancelled in 2015 in a later blog post.

Can't quite stand to see misinformation thrown about, even if the leaks may be completely false, so here's the original source of the leak.

• Thumbs Up 2

If Sonic Colors Remaster is true, I would be surprised. Sega hasn't remastered a 3D Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2 in 2012, not even Sonic Heroes got a remaster despite it being one of the best selling Sonic games ever that has influenced future games like Team Sonic Racing.

As for the decision for it being Colors instead of Unleashed, it makes a lot of sense. I hope there's something more to it than just higher resolution and framerate. I wouldn't care much for a Generations Remaster considering we already have the PC version, but I hope we get Unleashed one day.

If we have to wait till 2022 for the next mainline Sonic game, then giving us stuff like remasters while we wait is not a bad deal imo.

• Thumbs Up 3

The only way I’m ever getting this game is if either

They change the dialogue to match the infinitely better Japanese script

or

It lets me play Colors DS.  But if they won’t change the script then I won’t even bother touching the Wii version.

The most I’ve seen of DS were the cutscenes and the final boss, but not only do the cutscenes not make me want to slam my head through my door, the final boss looks much better.  It helps that unlike the Wii version which didn’t even have ENWA use half of the wisp powers (yes, I know the announcer shots Frenzy at the beginning, but what is Eggman doing with it?  At the very least Frenzy could’ve had him charging towards you) I read that DS’s does use all of them.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be interested to replay the DS version of Colours if the option became available. I remember owning it for a brief period but it felt overall like a lesser version / clone of the previous Rush Games due to it simultaneously trying to be Sonic Rush 3, but also a portable version of Sonic Colours with the Wisps shoved in. 

Personally I wasn't a fan of the final boss (on DS). I liked the idea and use of the mother Wisp (and it was a shame she was missing from the console versions story), but it still mostly "played" quite meh for a finale and was quite irritating to complete, so for me the the Wii version wins out still here. We shouldn't forget that at the time It was pretty refreshing and exciting NOT to go Super for once. It's just unfortunate that Lost world and Forces copy-pasted the Final Boss over and over again in their respective games to a lesser extent.

Anyway, what I'm saying is is that I'd like to give Sonic Rush 3 / Colours DS another chance. I remember it being quite janky, but I'm willing to give it another shot.

10 hours ago, Son-icka said:

I don't like what SEGA did with SONIC handhelg games beginning with COLOURS (then GENERATIONS and LOST WORLD!!...
I mean COLOURS for DS is a good game (really like a RUSH game indeed) but before its releases, every new handheld game was a brand new adenture, not a retelling of the "main" game of the moment( even if COLOURS for DS had an addition with Mother Wisp which ass a little more storytelling in the game)!!...
For me, it is a terrible mess, especially after RUSH ADVENTURE which added so much to the SONIC lore!!...
With COLOURS for DS and the two following handheld games, even if the levelsplayed differently from the console versions, it was just a retelling and there a waste of time for SONIC fans whohad only one new adventure instead of two...

5 hours ago, King Conne said:

I don't like what SEGA did with SONIC handhelg games beginning with COLOURS (then GENERATIONS and LOST WORLD!!...
I mean COLOURS for DS is a good game (really like a RUSH game indeed) but before its releases, every new handheld game was a brand new adenture, not a retelling of the "main" game of the moment( even if COLOURS for DS had an addition with Mother Wisp which ass a little more storytelling in the game)!!...
For me, it is a terrible mess, especially after RUSH ADVENTURE which added so much to the SONIC lore!!...
With COLOURS for DS and the two following handheld games, even if the levelsplayed differently from the console versions, it was just a retelling and there a waste of time for SONIC fans whohad only one new adventure instead of two...

I wouldn't call them a waste of time per-se and does give fans options (or double the amount of games) even if the storyline is essentially the same. It's gameplay and effort they put into the experience that makes it worth your while. Sometimes it's works, sometimes it doesn't with this approach. 

I think Colours DS & Generations 3DS were treated as the just leftovers to compliment their superior home console counterparts. I'm also one of the 2% of people that really love Sonic Lost World on both 3DS and Wii U - so here at the very least I can applaud the teams for going for something entirely different across both platforms without emulating what had come before. 

It's a shame it didn't work out asI would have liked more entires in this series and style of gameplay myself. 

I do wish they took a duel game approach with Sonic Forces on Switch like they did Sonic Unleashed on Wii though - it was tough on that hardware. And who knows... maybe it would have doubled the chances for one decent adventure to come out of that medicore mess... or possibly two games that were worse. 😂

Anyway. A Wisp Collection would also be appetising to me Sega - so bundle Colours with Lost World or something please?

(Or just... make something new that is more than half decent again, you were on the right tracks!)

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, King Conne said:

I don't really consider Colours DS to be a "Sonic Rush 3" for the simple reason that it lost the trick system, which helped to fill in dead airtime and allowed for a couple of new movement options.  Granted, it's fairly obvious that it was removed because of the Wisps, and it's a far from bad game otherwise, but regardless I think we're definitely missing the handheld originals and other spin-offs at this point.  We're in a spell where we're just getting so much less Sonic, and it's hard to say when or even if that that's likely to change.

35 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

I do wish they took a duel game approach with Sonic Forces on Switch like they did Sonic Unleashed on Wii though - it was tough on that hardware. And who knows... maybe it would have doubled the chances for one decent adventure to come out of that medicore mess... or possibly two games that were worse. 😂

Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers is Sonic Forces 3DS in every way that matters.

14 minutes ago, OwlEyes said:

Ok how does zippo have all these leaks!?

Usually when it comes to leakers, it's that they know people closely associated with the company they are leaking from.

However, they don't reveal specifics about who shared the info with them so that means whenever a "leaker" says something you have to take them on their word that they are saying the truth. Or just say they are lying or just good guessing.

• Thumbs Up 5

If the Colors remake/remaster is true, all I want is a remastered soundtrack so I can get a new rendition of the criminally slept on, Terminal Velocity 

• Fist Bump 2

I'll be curious to see what they announce first. 

They have Colors, a Sonic Collection, a new Super Monkey Ball, and there's a new Virtua Fighter port, probably more.

I'm surprised they haven't just started doing their own directs, considering everyone else has.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I'll be curious to see what they announce first. 

They have Colors, a Sonic Collection, a new Super Monkey Ball, and there's a new Virtua Fighter port, probably more.

I'm surprised they haven't just started doing their own directs, considering everyone else has.

You forgot the new House of the Dead which could use an extra reveal.

I'd like to say internal conflicts between how to exactly present the information is is what is holding things back the most. What will make it most effective? Probably a lot of back and forth bickering. 

Oh, and hello.

9 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

You forgot the new House of the Dead which could use an extra reveal.

I'd like to say internal conflicts between how to exactly present the information is is what is holding things back the most. What will make it most effective? Probably a lot of back and forth bickering. 

Oh, and hello.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't House of the Dead being licensed out, like Alex Kidd, Streets of Rage, Wonder Boy and such?

Knowing SEGA, there's probably some truth to that, haha.

And hi!

11 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't House of the Dead being licensed out, like Alex Kidd, Streets of Rage, Wonder Boy and such?

Knowing SEGA, there's probably some truth to that, haha.

And hi!

Yes it is being licensed out to Forever Entertainment. You'd just think that they'd care about the reception of a game so closely tied to them.

16 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Yes it is being licensed out to Forever Entertainment. You'd just think that they'd care about the reception of a game so closely tied to them.

Ah, that's right! They handled that not so great Panzer Dragoon remake.

Well, at least Streets of Rage 4 turned out amazing, and both Alex Kidd and Monster World IV look incredible, so their plans have been working out for the most part.