Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

Eh. Eh. Eh. We've had bad remastered before that have qualified as unplayable. Just because you can control them doesn't make them fun to. 

image.png.6e880a5c072b7a454a7414ec93c4bcbb.png

image.png.9ed5e4c56758b9af2c338391bff58807.png

Id say the movie skin makes this rumor more BS than the unplayable part. It just depends on your definition of unplayable. 

I mean, when you're moving something from one console to another, something is bound to get fucked up along the way. And with the pandemic going on, I don't think it's too crazy that it just wasn't ready for a 2020 release.

But whatever, it's just a rumor anyways.

The next event in Sonic Dash will feature the 30th anniversary logo: it means that soon the actual celebrations for the hedgehog's anniversary will officially start (they didn't start yet); from next month onward, they will start using the anniversary brand on any Sonic related product.

People assumed any sort of cause for the lack of news so far (incompetence, shame, embarrassment, covid and so), but I think that they were simply holding all the major announcements for when the true celebrations will start. If the celebrations start and we get no announcements, then there will be a rerason to think that there's a different cause behind the delays, but so far there is no reason to think any of that, aside of being pessimist for the sake of it.

An announcement during E3 (major game or minor/spin-off) was totally expected from my point of view...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2021 at 11:39 AM, Nix said:

I mean, when you're moving something from one console to another, something is bound to get fucked up along the way.

I’d argue with silent hill I think it was obvious the problem was not this, and was moreso laziness and ineptitude given its Konami who especially at the time was burning all their goodwill. But that’s besides the point with regards colors.

Anyway, hopefully this news means an announcement fairly soon. Haven’t been desperate to hear an announcement or anything, but still, it would be nice to finally hear something officially about sonic games again 

Putting that CGI render right next to that 2D drawing was a mistake.

Anyway, both Sonics are still present and accounted for, so I'll guess we're getting some sort of Mania followup and another boost game.

Can we stop with this guy? Frankly even in the unlikely event he turns out to be for real, he does not deserve the attention he so desperately wants.

• Thumbs Up 3

I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of leakers myself you guys, but he's just a person getting rumors from sources which could or could not be unreliable. I don't see why we have to be hostile to him, like he's craving attention and all, just because it gets our hopes up. Regardless if this is true or not, (most likely not) I don't think we need to get snippy here.

Anyways. I'd love for this to be real, but in the unlikely case that it is I can't imagine it will go unscathed musically. After all this time, I doubt SEGA is about to pay royalties for the MJ tracks/Hardtimes and will snip them out.

• Thumbs Up 1

If SEGA announce a collection for consoles featuring the mobile remasters of Sonic 1,2 and a new release of S3, I'll be a happy bunny.

However, it's sounds too good to be true. Sonic 3 was last released 10 years ago and there's no evidence to suggest a new release can finally happen. Well, there was a vinyl release of Hard Times (by the Jetzons) last year which featured Ice Cap artwork on the cover, but that doesn't mean anything-doesn't mean SEGA have finally come to an agreement for S3 to be released again. It's not gonna happen and there's no reason to think otherwise.

Same goes for the 2013 mobile remasters of Sonic 1&2. It's been eight years with plenty opportunities to port to consoles, but SEGA hasn't bothered. So why would they bother porting the remasters now when they can just keep releasing emulations (which I'd imagine is a much cheaper option)? 

Even if Zippo is telling the truth, very few will believe him (due to the remasters & S3 having not been re-released) until SEGA makes an official announcement or Zippo provides some actual proof which he has pretty much said is unwilling to do. So even if his intentions are good, it's better for him to say nothing because he's just going to continue to piss-off fans by not providing any proof. So basically he needs to "put up or shut up".

2 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of leakers myself you guys, but he's just a person getting rumors from sources which could or could not be unreliable. I don't see why we have to be hostile to him, like he's craving attention and all, just because it gets our hopes up. Regardless if this is true or not, (most likely not) I don't think we need to get snippy here.

He behaves like a wannabe journalist with insider information and throws tantrums when people question him. ResetERA has banned him multiple times for this and it's obvious to most people he just chucks darts at a wall from what little info he does actually find. He did this last year during Nintendo's content drought and, to no one's surprise, he was wrong. He couldn't even call the Colors remaster until a storefront leaked it and then he took credit that he knew all along. So for him to come out and claim Sonic 3, one of the most important games in the series stuck in legal hell, is getting a new rerelease in over a decade, is especially bold for a guy that couldn't Google search to confirm where a fucking Mario Kart 8 render came from before claiming it was a new game.

And in the off chance one of these darts actually hits the board, it'll be coincidence anyway. I've said before I don't even care if what he says is true or not, he dangles information in front of a mob that wants news and then gets pissed when they give him the attention he's begging for because he clearly can't handle it. If anything you say will compromise real people's jobs then you shouldn't be parading around that you have TOP SECRET INFO in the first place if you can't handle what comes next.

• Thumbs Up 6

9 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of leakers myself you guys, but he's just a person getting rumors from sources which could or could not be unreliable. I don't see why we have to be hostile to him, like he's craving attention and all,

Because he's an asshole. Because he's an asshole who pretends he's a game journalist, but only posts this stuff to get attention and to get people to listen to him. He's been banned from Era, a known repository of assholes itself, at least twice for pulling the same act he pulled earlier in this thread; including in a thread where he posted an old promotional image for Mario Kart 8 that he thought was new and acted like was new and an insider hint for a Mario Kart announcement, then treated everyone in the thread like morons for believing in the thing he posted when other people told him it wasn't new. 

If he wants to act like that, he can post on his hard hitting takes like "Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo Olympics may or may not be canceled" on his shitty blog that Firefox flags as a phishing site. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Too Many Rings 1

Fair enough. I haven't seen any tantrums from him so far, but I'll take your words for it. I dont care for the carrot dangling on a stick thing either, I just don't usually care for the hostility that comes to leakers in general, at least for those who turn out alright in the long run, regardless whether they are right or wrong.

But if he is a jerk about being challenged that isn't cool. 

I don't have anything against Zippo. I'm not really sure of anything regarding his leaks. I hope they're real, but we're not really going to know until SEGA announces something. Sadly, this is the only real 'info' we're getting right now, outside of Colors Ultimate. Regardless of if it's real or not, though, it does make for a good discussion.

Regarding the Sonic 1-3 collection, that is something I'd wanted for a while. At least the remakes of 1 and 2. I've heard how great they are, but since I'm not really a mobile gamer so I haven't had a chance to play them. If Sonic 3 does get a release, anyone think that would get a kind of remake, as well, or just a change in music and framerate?

23 hours ago, Slashy said:

I don't really believe what he says but I wouldn't mind actually having S3&K available for the first time in years.

Honestly I would love a collection that has all the games because one thing I loved when I was a kid was having a Gamecube and having almost every Sonic game readily available. 

I don't tend to believe any kind of leaks unless SEGA themselves had actually said something.  I mean sure, I do understand that a lot of people are getting antsy about SEGA not saying anything for the last few months and I can't blame them since I think that SEGA could have at least given out some kind of hints about what the next Sonic game is going to be about.  But, I don't like to take these leaks as the truth unless I have some good evidence to back them up.  So, I'm just taking these leaks with a grain of salt for now.

• Absolutely 1

Personally, I would've been very happy about the Taxman remasters and a Sonic 3 one getting to modern platforms like 3 years ago, but with Sonic 3 A.I.R. being a thing and the recent Sonic 1 and 2 decompilations + ports to any available platform on the market, that ship has sailed for me.

Eventually I'll get the official games if they even exist, but having already played them hundreds of hours, if not thousands, on at least 7 different platforms, the only incentive I had to buy them again was to have them always readily available to play on my pc with widescreen, and SEGA kinda slept on that for too long for no apparent reason, sadly.

EDIT: There's that recent re-discovery by Heyjoeway that the Sonic Advance mobile port source code is not obfuscated, so it's literally already available to work with, which makes ports to other platforms possible, so if they don't plan on doing anything with at least Advance 1 (rather sooner than later), that ship will sail too, I think.

EDIT2: I was trying to recollect how many times I own Sonic 1 2 and 3 and:
Sonic 1: at least 8 times (4 on physical media, including the original JP MD release, Taxman release on mobile, paid version)

Sonic 2: at least 7 times(3 on physical media, including the original JP MD release, Taxman release on mobile, paid version)

Sonic 3: at least 4 times(3 on physical media, including the original JP MD release)

So yeah, kinda hard to get excited for that, even though I feel like I should be, cause Sonic 3 hasn't been released in ages, technically. But still...

• Thumbs Up 1

I really, really wish that Sonic 3 & Knuckles could be re-released, I haven't had a chance to play it (maybe it's time to finally get a Steam account) but anyhow, given the legal issues, who knows when that'll happen. The fan content (Sonic 3 AIR and the new mobile recompilations) are pretty solid though, I do agree. I don't usually believe leaks, but I predict that if they re-release any games for the anniversary, there'll probably be the advance games (or at least advance 1), pocket adventure, the game gear titles, and maybe spinball. I guess Sonic R or 3D blast are possible, but those games aren't acknowledged by Sega too much. Hopefully they just release some kind of collection, those are always good for finding new fans and providing a convenient way to play the older games. I haven't played nearly any of the games I just mentioned, so it would be nice to get a modern re-release.

With the success of the recent Mega Man and Castlevania legacy collections, it wouldn't be extraordinary for SEGA to think the time was right for (another) Sonic equivalent - and if they could bundle in some of the less often rereleased titles then it would clearly distinguish itself from just the usual classic rereleases.  Granted, I think I've already played all the ones I'm actually particularly interested in playing, but games like the early Dimps titles have historically not been all that accessible and it's reasonable to think they might have some pull.

• Absolutely 1

Sidenote, will we ever get a Mania sequel? I know that Stealth is working on his own game, but how about Whitehead and the rest of the team. Mania was a critical darling, and the fans seem to want more. Has Sega or anyone said anything about it? I mean with something that successful you have to capitalize on it somehow...I'd be fine with a non-classic game from Evening Star, but in general, they should, ideally, follow up on something so successful, maybe as a side series in parallel to the main games.

I think Classic Sonic's visage appearing on the 30th anniversary merch means we're getting some sort of Mania followup, be it Mania 2 or Sonic 5 or something else entirely.

That or they're going to try to jam everything into one game again, good sense or fan wishes be damned. Forces apparently sold well, so don't be surprised if this is the case.

• Thumbs Up 1