Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

17 minutes ago, Jovahexeon The Undyne said:

What is this, like the 4th shoe you'll have had to eat from one of these bets? XD

Good luck either way.

I have many pairs.

• Chuckle 2

I can't get excited about the idea of a Sonic Collection because my mind instantly just assumes it's gonna be yet another thing I get to play Sonic 1 and 2 on. 

Surprise me, SEGA. 

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, AstroSeedP said:

So excited for a new collection, been a while since they've done one of those for Sonic specifically.

Though, I wonder how this would work on something like Steam lol.

Anyways, yeah pumped for this, even made a mock-up for a potential cover art:
https://twitter.com/AstroSeedP/status/139280431585363968

spacer.png

THAT'S REALLY GOOD. Well done. I thought it was real.

18 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I’m not expecting a 3D collection out of this since Colors is separate

Ok this is probably a dumb thought but what if Colors is getting a separate release just show what the remasters for the 3D games are like?

• Thumbs Up 1

That looks better than the cover they'd make should this actually happen.

Out of all the leaks that came out in the last few months, the only one I still keep an eye on is the Zippo one. I'm still a bit skeptical about it, but there are some details that suggest there might be some truth behind it. Everything else is probably just BS and not worth any attention, even though I was impressed by that version of the Sonic Rift leak which said that in the game Sonic would have visited several different dimensions, before we got the news of Sonic Prime being about a very similar thing.

Things that make me consider the Zippo leak a bit:

-Focus on Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic mostly alive in merchandise: so far this seems to be kinda accurate, but we don't know what the next games will be so it might change

-2D Modern Sonic and 3D Modern Sonic, supported by the anniversary artworks that were leaked and now are confirmed to be legit. Maybe he knows nothing about the actual games and it was just speculation that came out from seeing those artworks, but Zippo said it before the artworks leaked on Internet, so it can still be considered a leak.

-Remasters of old games and collection: even though this one is the least accurate claim (Colors being a stand alone release and apparently not part of the collection), collections and remasters seem to still be happening. Easy guess that could be just a lucky one, but still...

-Games and mobile apps being rebranded with the 30th anniversary logo... we know (through another leak) that in Sonic Dash they will use the logo for the next event, so this could happen for real.

So, as skeptical as I am, I still can't dismiss this leak yet...

Anyway, for now I prefer to ignore those text leaks and just focus on the informations that have some evidence, such as the Colors and now the Collection ones.

I've always erred on a non-commital belief. But I can't say I'm not interested in it. Just hope it has more than the 2D games, or at least get us past Genesis era if possible.

36 minutes ago, Iko said:

Out of all the leaks that came out in the last few months, the only one I still keep an eye on is the Zippo one. I'm still a bit skeptical about it, but there are some details that suggest there might be some truth behind it. Everything else is probably just BS and not worth any attention, even though I was impressed by that version of the Sonic Rift leak which said that in the game Sonic would have visited several different dimensions, before we got the news of Sonic Prime being about a very similar thing.

Things that make me consider the Zippo leak a bit:

-Focus on Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic mostly alive in merchandise: so far this seems to be kinda accurate, but we don't know what the next games will be so it might change

-2D Modern Sonic and 3D Modern Sonic, supported by the anniversary artworks that were leaked and now are confirmed to be legit. Maybe he knows nothing about the actual games and it was just speculation that came out from seeing those artworks, but Zippo said it before the artworks leaked on Internet, so it can still be considered a leak.

-Remasters of old games and collection: even though this one is the least accurate claim (Colors being a stand alone release and apparently not part of the collection), collections and remasters seem to still be happening. Easy guess that could be just a lucky one, but still...

-Games and mobile apps being rebranded with the 30th anniversary logo... we know (through another leak) that in Sonic Dash they will use the logo for the next event, so this could happen for real.

So, as skeptical as I am, I still can't dismiss this leak yet...

Anyway, for now I prefer to ignore those text leaks and just focus on the informations that have some evidence, such as the Colors and now the Collection ones.

In fairness though, most of these are things that are pretty blatantly obvious. Modern Sonic's almost lways had the focus for anniversaries. Even when Mania was coming for the 25th, and Classic Sonic was on the anniversary icon, Forces was still the big 'head-liner' of the anniversary. 2D and 3D artwork of Modern Sonic isn't particularly surprising, the 25th anniversary had a blend of 2D and 3D promotional artwork, and games/apps being updated to reflect the anniversary isn't remotely surprisingly, since that's just a basic element of brand unification. 

The only thing here I say really holds any kind of salt is the reamasters and collections, and even that's hard to tell, because of how 'last minute' his claim that he knew about the Colours remaster was. Other than that, most of these are really damn obvious, and cast out a wide-net to make it seem like you know what you're talking about when it's eventually proven correct.

So just to remind everyone about Zippo's "leaks" so far just so we're up to date.

• Modern is the main focus, no Mania follow up
  • A new compilation is in the works, may or may not have the Retro versions of Sonic 1 and 2, as well as Sonic 3, among other games. 
  • Ports and remasters of older games, the only one being Sonic Colors allegedly atm.
  • A new 2D title.
  • And a new 3D title that is NOT Boost, has more characters besides Sonic to play as, and may or may not release this Holiday or early 2022. 

Out of all of these, only the collection and Colors  remaster have been "reported" on these website listings. 

6 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Out of all of these, only the collection and Colors  remaster have been "reported" on these website listings. 

Perhaps the Sonic Collection & Colors Ultimate are coming out in 2021 (hence the leaked website listings) and the new 2D & 3D games will come out next year.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, TheOcelot said:

Perhaps the Sonic Collection & Colors Ultimate are coming out in 2021 (hence the leaked website listings) and the new 2D & 3D games will come out next year.

I was about to say just this; listings for unannounced games tend to indicate a relatively close-by release period.

Anyway... Sounds cool. Need to see what's on the collection and the quality of the ports/emulations therein before I can comment on much. S3K is something of a Holy Grail at this point, and having grown up on the S3KC, the PC (/beta) soundtrack has always been my personal preference. I'd be cool with those tracks being reinstated, but I understand and appreciate why it's a big problem for a lot of people. But from what we've heard in the past, dont the S3K legal disputes stretch further than just the Jackson estate? Other artists, namely Sirrocco, have also been engaged in the matter, correct?

The mobile ports of S1, 2 and CD would be nice also. There's no excuse for those games not to be readily available in consoles these days. Other games? Guess we'll just have to wait and see. SA1 and SA2 (but especially SA1) with Dreamcast visuals would be great. Rush duology, Advance trilogy, NGPA, Riders and other spinoffs... Lots of things that I'd like to see. 

Still don't care in the slightest for Zippo's antics.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I hope CHAOTIX and SEGASONIC will be included this time!!...
But if it could have some new materials aboard, like for instance SONIC 4 EPISODE 3, I'd be the happiest SONIC fan in the world!!...

• Thumbs Up 1

Zippo definitely does not deserve attention but I want what he said to be true, I don't care if he leaked everything, made up fake leaks to get attention or whatever, if Sega doesn't announce their content, I just want to have a taste of what we are getting, and I really enjoy speculation, it is very much okay for me if we speculate leaks, even the dumb and 100% likely fake ones.  What Zippo said would be great news so I want those to be true, regardless of what people think of him.

That said, what do we think/hope is in the collection?

Yeah, I'm on Team I Want Zippo To Be Right Even Though He Is Annoying.

Thinking optimistically, if the license rights can be figured out it would be nice if a S3&K rerelease could have both the Genesis and PC soundtracks as options, like the Whitehead version of CD has both the US and JPN soundtracks.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope the collection features some games that were never re-released before, and in widescreen while they're at it

• Thumbs Up 2

Expectation: S1, S2, SCD, S3K, Chaotix, the Advance trilogy and Battle, SA1, SA2 Battle, Heroes, Unleashed, Colors, Gens, maaaaaybe Lost World and TSR.

Bonus points for adding the Game Gear and Master System games, because some of them deserve love, especially Sonic 2 and Triple Trouble.

Reality: S1, S2, SCD, SA1, SA2 Battle, Colors, Generations and Forces.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering Colors has been "confirmed" to be a separate release, I think that anything post 2010 is seen fit to be released individually as a remaster, so anything in the "collection" is probably from before then.

I can see it being S1, S2, S3&K, CD and maybe Chaotix to spice it up and justify its existence, if we're going by the "never re-released before" thing

• Thumbs Up 2

I somehow can't see anything from the 7th gen onwards getting into the collection unfortunately. The Adventures and Heroes seem quite possible and MAYBE Shadow at a push if they care at all about having a completed Shadow saga.

06 is 06, the storybook games would need modifications to the whole control scheme and Unleashed is something I reckon they'd sell seperately digitally.

I would absolutely love a full-price collection if they're prepared to go all-in and make this as comprehensive as possible. The big new encyclo-speed-ia book has me slightly hopeful they're putting some focus on their back catalogue this year.

It's worth pointing out that before Colors Ultimate was leaked, Zippo made an update to his post saying a few games on the collection will also be sold separately as a ''only buy the games you want'' sort of deal, and once Ultimate came around, he said that was one of those. So if that's true, and it's a big IF, as everyone here can agree, the modern games being remastered in this collection may not be out of the realm of possibility just yet.

oh yeah and in another update he said the Taxman ports of Sonic 1 and 2 are now included in the collection.

Personally it's reaching the ''too good to be true'' realm for be, I am at this point almost expecting another update saying Unleashed is included.

• Thumbs Up 1

If that's the case then I don't see the whole collection costing less than 150€ and being some sort of limited collector's thingie like the FF collection from ten years ago.
Final Fantasy Ultimate Box Gives You All 13 Games for $450

In that case, it would be a very nice thing, actually, and offering the games individually sounds like the best choice too.

51 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

If that's the case then I don't see the whole collection costing less than 150€ and being some sort of limited collector's thingie like the FF collection from ten years ago.
Final Fantasy Ultimate Box Gives You All 13 Games for $450

In that case, it would be a very nice thing, actually, and offering the games individually sounds like the best choice too.

Nah, I'd expect something more akin to say, the Mega Man X legacy collection, which got split in 2 and buying both would cost the same price as buying just a normal collection (each costing 20 USD, for a total of 40 USD).

If it's real, then I'm expecting the collection itself to be around 20-30 dollars, with the remasters sold separately being 10-15 dollars each, and the ''complete package'' being just an option to buy both the collection and a code to redeem the remasters(or just getting the remasters with the collection, possibly with a discounted price, if you buy it digitally)

• Thumbs Up 1

That pricing makes sense when it's emulated SNES games, not if it's ports of relatively modern games from the GC/Wii/360PS3 era as Colours seems to be.

All of this is if we're going by Colours being part of said collection and one of the games you can buy individually.

I can't see them selling ports of Sonic 1, 2, 3, K, CD, Adventure 1, Adventure 2, Heroes, 06, Unleashed, Colours, Generations and Forces for 40€ when Colours alone is 25€ it seems.

I can see the collection being split in Classic for 30€ , Adventure (the meatiest with SA1,2,heroes,06 and maybe some spinoffs) for 60€ and Modern (the latest games in the series, so the ones that hold the most value) for 60€.

It's shocking just how much you can stuff in a Sonic collection. I wouldn't mind paying a huge price for a full collection if possible, but yeah I think splitting it into bits and giving the consumers more options is the best choice of the matter. If we could get something that can out do the quality of the Mega Collection (IMO the model to follow) then I'd be very happy about that.

5 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

That pricing makes sense when it's emulated SNES games, not if it's ports of relatively modern games from the GC/Wii/360PS3 era as Colours seems to be.

All of this is if we're going by Colours being part of said collection and one of the games you can buy individually.

I can't see them selling ports of Sonic 1, 2, 3, K, CD, Adventure 1, Adventure 2, Heroes, 06, Unleashed, Colours, Generations and Forces for 40€ when Colours alone is 25€ it seems.

I can see the collection being split in Classic for 30€ , Adventure (the meatiest with SA1,2,heroes,06 and maybe some spinoffs) for 60€ and Modern (the latest games in the series, so the ones that hold the most value) for 60€.

I can see them going for full price at best but not above it, you gotta remember, this whole ''paying full price if not premium for HD ports of games from the fifth generation onwards'' nonsense is something only Nintendo does, and they get enough flack as it is for it. Think collections from the PS3 era, like the God of War anthology or MGS Legacy Collection, all games of the series so far, remastered in HD, for full price and nothing more.

Furthermore, I don't think a Sonic collection, no matter how many games they shove in it, would be worth paying premium for, considering most of it would consist of games from at least 2 generations ago, and a good chunk of those being poorly received as it is. For comparison, not even the Crash and Spyro remakes were full price, and those were full blown REMAKES, not ports.

• Thumbs Up 1