Jump to content
Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions


UpCDownCLeftCRightC
 Share

Recommended Posts

Miles Storzillo
37 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Or...just switch to the Japanese voices and stop obsession over a voice actor.

Then how will I be able to understand the story without looking at subtitles?  Because even looking at Colors Wii’s English subtitles is torture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Miles Storzillo said:

Then how will I be able to understand the story without looking at subtitles?  Because even looking at Colors Wii’s English subtitles is torture.

Assuming you weren't joking before...(since you responded)

I don't really know what to say at this point. You've made it rather clear that you hate everything associated with Sonic Colors, but you aren't going to adjust the game to make the experience better for you.

To be blunt, either you're gonna have to learn to tolerate Roger or just distance yourself from the series if you aren't willing to change the voice track.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blue Blood
7 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I'm operating under the impression that people legit cannot stand Roger's Sonic; at that point, rather than subjecting yourself to something you know you aren't going to like, just switch it.

Its not even about disliking Roger specifically, but continuing to engage with something when you already know its going to upset you.

Because at this point, I don't see an alternative besides tolerating him, or just muting the TV whenever you're playing.

I mean... No? Don't just leave it. How can you just leave it? Especially when the voice actor for Sonic was announced to be changing. If you don't like Smith, you're going to be disappointed.

"Just ignore the major, enjoyment effecting blemish on the thing you really like" is never a good argument.

  • Thumbs Up 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sonikko
4 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

To be blunt, either you're gonna have to learn to tolerate Roger or just distance yourself from the series if you aren't willing to change the voice track.

 

Or maybe people should be allowed to discuss a thing they're very passionate about on a discussion board about the thing they're very passionate about.

Idk why some people are always on the edge and eager to attack others directly or indirectly. Sonic is 30 years old, there's at least 2 generations of people in this fanbase, if not 3 by now. Of course we're all gonna like different things, and that's fine.

But it's also fine for the ones who don't enjoy some parts of this franchise to voice their opinion. Chill 🤷‍♂️.

  • Thumbs Up 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Miles Storzillo

Though maybe I’ll be lucky and Sonic will be portrayed more like his Lost World self.  Though, when I think about it, there must have been an extreme amount of luck these past years.  Out of all the main games I don’t think anything was lighter, and even Rise of Lyric, which was part of a spin-off that was meant to be lighthearted, was one of the more serious games in the meta era (Ah good times, good times.  I still remember my 100% file.  One of the few games I own that I 100%), and it’s even more lucky that Lost World got so grim halfway through especially considering the visuals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Red Hot Jack

Whether people like it or not Roger is here to stay. I agree with most people in that he needs a new voice direction, I am glad they are staying at least consistent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I mean... No? Don't just leave it. How can you just leave it? Especially when the voice actor for Sonic was announced to be changing. If you don't like Smith, you're going to be disappointed.

"Just ignore the major, enjoyment effecting blemish on the thing you really like" is never a good argument.

If you're talking about this issue specifically, sure. I'm speaking about the big picture. People who hated Roger were never going to give him a chance whether he left or not and he's been voicing Sonic for over a decade.

Azoo said it best earlier tbh, nothing has honestly changed from before this announcement.

If after 11 years, Roger's Sonic still upsets people this much just for reprising the role, what else can you really tell somebody besides to do move on? If I said "sucks to be you bro" then I'd just sound like an insensitive asshole.

 

I understand people can vent, but like I said, its been 11 years at this point. How much venting can one do before it gets exhausting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blue Blood
2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

If you're talking about this issue specifically, sure. I'm speaking about the big picture. People who hated Roger were never going to give him a chance whether he left or not and he's been voicing Sonic for over a decade.

Azoo said it best earlier tbh, nothing has honestly changed from before this announcement.

If after 11 years, Roger's Sonic still upsets people this much just for reprising the role, what else can you really tell somebody besides to do move on? If I said "sucks to be you bro" then I'd just sound like an insensitive asshole.

 

I understand people can vent, but like I said, its been 11 years at this point. How much venting can one do before it gets exhausting.

The fact of the matter is that Roger left the series for a few months and then came back. That makes discussion about him relevant. You might as well tell everyone expressing any opinion to shut up.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Or maybe people should be allowed to discuss a thing they're very passionate about on a discussion board about the thing they're very passionate about.

Idk why some people are always on the edge and eager to attack others directly or indirectly. Sonic is 30 years old, there's at least 2 generations of people in this fanbase, if not 3 by now. Of course we're all gonna like different things, and that's fine.

But it's also fine for the ones who don't enjoy some parts of this franchise to voice their opinion. Chill 🤷‍♂️.

Nobody was attacking anyone tho? I don't see how what I said can be interpreted as an attack.

If you're free to express your frustrations, why am I not allowed to respond to them? This is a public message board isn't it?

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

The fact of the matter is that Roger left the series for a few months and then came back. That makes discussion about him relevant. You might as well tell everyone expressing any opinion to shut up.

That's not what I was doing though.

The main subject presented here is the idea of switching voice tracks if people cannot stand Roger's voice. 

If people are unwilling to do that and continue to engage and express their frustrations about him over ten years after the fact, then what?

I'm not saying people can't express their opinions, but this is pretty much an example of engaging with something when you know it upsets you, and its not like anybody is forcing Roger's haters to listen to him.

If people are gonna make the conscious choice of continuously doing something that upsets them, I don't think I'm in the wrong for respectfully, with no malice, offering an alternative.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon
3 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

If I'm not impressed by tomorrow's stream then it's gonna be the final straw for me tbh, the disappointments have been building up for so long.

So, you'll be gone? Done?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CrystalMaelStorm

Hey guys, here is something I thought of the other day about the possible Sonic Colors remaster, and why it may be done.

Sure, going for a quick buck with it is one possibility, and a likely one, but Sega did say they wanted to try to improve Sonic games in the future, starting with Forces, as I said on the Social Thread. Now, obviously, Sonic Forces did not do so well, and Sega had many staff members, like the ones who help made the original Colors and Generations, leave the team behind Sonic due to bad work ethics at Sega. So, while a quick buck is a possibility, and with how Lost World and Forces did, why not go a step back and look at a more successful game and try to see what made it successful? Yes, Sega did say they would try to improve Sonic several times before Forces, but at least they did not continue to make each Sonic game every few years and try to space them out in terms of time. That only does so much, but while Sega did say they would try to improve Sonic before, I have a gut feeling that they could mean it, and what better way to start than with Colors?

Now, regardless of how you look at this, this is just a theory, so even I could be wrong. No need to take this seriously in that regard. 

What do you all think of this?

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Miles Storzillo
12 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

Hey guys, here is something I thought of the other day about the possible Sonic Colors remaster, and why it may be done.

Sure, going for a quick buck with it is one possibility, and a likely one, but Sega did say they wanted to try to improve Sonic games in the future, starting with Forces, as I said on the Social Thread. Now, obviously, Sonic Forces did not do so well, and Sega had many staff members, like the ones who help made the original Colors and Generations, leave the team behind Sonic due to bad work ethics at Sega. So, while a quick buck is a possibility, and with how Lost World and Forces did, why not go a step back and look at a more successful game and try to see what made it successful? Yes, Sega did say they would try to improve Sonic several times before Forces, but at least they did not continue to make each Sonic game every few years and try to space them out in terms of time. That only does so much, but while Sega did say they would try to improve Sonic before, I have a gut feeling that they could mean it, and what better way to start than with Colors?

Now, regardless of how you look at this, this is just a theory, so even I could be wrong. No need to take this seriously in that regard. 

What do you all think of this?

Ok, but what about how the game is looked at today, because in the past years hindsight has not been kind to Colors while it’s been a good friend to Unleashed.  Not that I ever found Colors that good to begin with, especially when looking at those dreaded cutscenes.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

CrystalMaelStorm
Just now, Miles Storzillo said:

Ok, but what about how the game is looked at today, because in the past years hindsight has not been kind to Colors while it’s been a good friend to Unleashed.  Not that I ever found Colors that good to begin with, especially when looking at those dreaded cutscenes.

It was still a good game, but I do see what you mean. I mean, the game did have its flaws, but it wasn't that bad, even though how bad or good it is would be a matter of opinion.

To be fair though, I never knew that the game was not looked at differently and was looked at more negatively today than when it came out.

Still, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to go back to Colors to try to improve future Sonic games with it.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FloweringFox

Agreed. Even with Adventure or any other era I don't want nostalgia baiting. I just want a good game that can stand on its own with original ideas.

  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shade Vortex

Besides moving on from all the nostalgia pandering, I just want the series to have depth to it again. I don't care what tone they go for- any tone can be done well. But when things are so barebones that you don't actually know much about who or what's going on, there's a problem. What's the Lost Hex, where did the Deadly Six come from? Why couldn't we see the takeover Eggman apparently had with Forces? Couldn't the Lost World and Forces "Tails fights with Sonic" thing have had more meaning to it than being a short bit of a gag or drama, or whatever they were going for? And we do need some amount of consistency and attention paid to the lore again- bringing things back from the past falls flat when you ignore character growth- Tails should never have been afraid of Chaos Zero, no matter what- it's the same issue that Samus faced with Ridley in Other M.

I pretty much want the series to treat itself seriously again, and that's not to say that I want it to BE serious. Whatever they do with the direction, they need to go all in, and not half-ass things to be safe and try not to offend anyone. Trying to appease multiple groups of fans at the same time is never going to pan out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

If I'm not impressed by tomorrow's stream then it's gonna be the final straw for me tbh, the disappointments have been building up for so long.

This is where I'm at. Roger's return hints towards a continued conservatism which is precisely what's turned me off of literally every release post-06, and it's the last thing in the world I wanted after being given hope for a genuinely clean break from the last era with his "departure." 

I get it's just a voice actor, and doesn't necessarily have to have any bearing on mechanical, narrative, or aesthetic depth. But Roger's Sonic has always been nails on a chalkboard to me, and it doesn't help that his portrayal is emblematic of everything I've despised about this series for over the past decade. It doesn't bode well for what I had hoped for for Sonic. 

This next game really makes or breaks my continued interest in this series. If it's not a drastic reassessment of the franchise that understands and leverages the inherent appeal of the character and the promise of his design, and it's just another, clueless, spineless, aimless, passionless Product™?

I'm washing my hands of this series. Got some great games out of it, but that's enough for me. Spark 3 looks great, I hope other folks make 3D platformers in the same vein. 

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whatever the WhoCares

I just want Sonic to be righteous again. Not this postmodernist, ironic, cynical version we’ve had recently. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shaddy Zaphod

I don't think any definition of "postmodernism", even the dumb made-up political ones, can be used to describe Sonic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whatever the WhoCares
17 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I don't think any definition of "postmodernism", even the dumb made-up political ones, can be used to describe Sonic.

And I can’t think of a better expression. And why would the political ones be more likely to fit in your eyes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blue Blood
1 hour ago, Slashy said:

Apparently the Presentation is only 12 minutes long.

That's according to Tails Channel, for anyone wondering...

I was hoping that it would be longer, personally. Being only 12 minutes suggests to me that they're going focus on announcing events and partnerships here, without much game news. More game news will probably be saved for one of the events that they announce here, possibly E3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Son-icka
1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

Yeah I'll be done. No reason for me to put up with this mediocre franchise that treats its fans like tools, while so many other franchises are putting in more effort to improve and have more respect for their fans on top of that.

Sonic Lost World, Sonic Boom, Sonic Forces, Team Sonic Racing, IDW, Sonic Movie; all soulless projects that didn't appeal to me, with more similar projects coming. And now they bait us with Roger leaving then coming back, and they announce it with this timing. Everyone seems to be happy, but to me this is further sign that I might have just outgrown Sonic and need to move on, which is why apparent good news is bad news for me 

See for me, Sonic Lost World, Team Sonic Racing and the Live action Sonic Movie were highlights and far from soulless (even if they could have been better). I’ve seen worse from other gaming companies.

But even then I am not to sure I agree with the “respect for its fans” side of things. SEGA/Sonic Team owe us nothing really IMO.

And to be honest the Sonic Fanbase pushes back with a lot of vitriol at the best of times (I’d argue at its peak we’re probably the worst out of any franchise fanbase) 

However if you’re outgrowing the series in general then it’s fair enough to want to move on from everything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.